Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think some RWD-based designs use a default 20/80 power split (for some reason I want to say they do this with the Genesis, for one).

The Genesis is 100% RWD until it slips. It's fun in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If they made the GenCoupe in an AWD package, I feel it would be a very popular vehicle.

EDIT: On the other hand, it seems like a lot of people who are looking for the AWD/manual/fast triad are more willing to compromise on AWD than on the other two things (see: the dude who's about to pick up a new GenCoupe as it's -31 this week), so I guess there isn't a huge market for it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Part time AWD is....ugh its weird.
And every company has their own take with its own biases and eagerness to kick in, maybe even a learning algorithm or two, hell itll even work different on different models from the same company.
Judge on a case by case basis is my advice.

(Imo a low gear should come standard with awd)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's a shame that companies like Subaru and Audi who made their name on their full-time AWD systems have all but eliminated them and moved to part-time systems. AWD as a drivetrain option seems to be more popular than ever, but virtually all of the systems are gimped. They claim they are "just as good" but that's just not possible when it's a reactive system. Maybe for mall-crawling a parking lot with a couple inches of snow it's just as good, and that's probably the most demanding situation most consumers ever put them in. :(

Sure manual Subarus are still full-time AWD, but the number of models that you can get with a manual keeps shrinking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well you can blame CAFE, right? There's no technical disadvantage to running full-time AWD except for slightly increased drivetrain losses and 2% reduced fuel economy or whatever, but that's what they are being forced to optimize for.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Well you can blame CAFE, right? There's no technical disadvantage to running full-time AWD except for slightly increased drivetrain losses and 2% reduced fuel economy or whatever, but that's what they are being forced to optimize for.

Some of us consider "using the least amount of fuel necessary for the job at hand" to be a virtue.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not if you're posting in AI, you don't.

Go ride the bus if that's truly your primary metric. Everyone who owns a car chooses their own balance of efficiency and convenience, and owning a car at all skews you way more to the "convenience" side.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Go ride the bus if that's truly your primary metric. Everyone who owns a car chooses their own balance of efficiency and convenience, and owning a car at all skews you way more to the "convenience" side.

Anybody can get lots of power by wasting lots of fuel. It takes cleverness to get lots of power without wasting it. I appreciate cleverness.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Yeah. Minus the "true permanent" aspect, you also have the Golf R and Focus RS, which are the other cars I'm considering buying at this point. Judging by the number of people I've talked to recently who want a fast, AWD car with a manual transmission (a really surprising number, frankly -- I'm starting to think 'aspiring commercial pilots' have a type), I'm surprised there aren't more cars trying to compete in the space.

They want them but they'll never actually pay money for them new

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Anybody can get lots of power by wasting lots of fuel. It takes cleverness to get lots of power without wasting it. I appreciate cleverness.

No, it takes gaming the metrics.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's also kind of obnoxious that the handful of hot AWD hatches have like 4" of ground clearance. That can barely handle a poorly maintained city street or steep driveway without scraping left and right, let alone a forest access road or unplowed back road.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Buy a crossover if you want ground clearance for forest access roads and the like?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put your Focus RS on airbags, duh

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Buy a crossover if you want ground clearance for forest access roads and the like?

Just saying it'd be nice if you could get something WRX-esque (i.e., something with AWD, a manual, and not boring) with the ride height of a normal car (~6") so that you could actually use that AWD system on rough roads.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 9, 2016

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Like a Crosstrek XT. I think it would be perfect and would probably buy one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

Just saying it'd be nice if you could get something WRX-esque (i.e., something with AWD, a manual, and not boring) with the ride height of a normal car (~6") so that you could actually use that AWD system on rough roads.

What 'normal' car has that much ground clearance these days?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Where's that guy from TDIclub who put a lift on his 2 door golf?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Timmy Cruise posted:

Like a Crosstrek XT. I think it would be perfect and would probably buy one.

I'd be first in line for a turbo Crosstrek. Call it whatever they want.

dissss posted:

What 'normal' car has that much ground clearance these days?

A few samples from Edmunds:

Toyota Camry - 6.1"
Mazda 3 - 6.1"
Honda Accord - 5.8"
VW Golf - 5.5"

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah six inches isn't as impressive as you think.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah six inches isn't as impressive as you think.

Things your girlfriends have said for 100, Alex.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I enjoyed TTAC's take

Fully accurate, but if it gets people to pay more for it, more power to FCA for offering it.

MrYenko posted:

Someone wake me when they make a four-pawed Hellcat.

I suspect that might be straining the room available for a properly stout transfer case, front driveshaft, front differential, and halfshafts - not to mention beefing up that transmission even more. You just know an AWD Hellcat would entice people to do the kind of launches that would make a GT-:argh: owner jealous.

Of course, isn't the probably-coming Hellcat Grand Cherokee going to be AWD?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Where's that guy from TDIclub who put a lift on his 2 door golf?

Dude puts a lift on everything: http://www.frankenbuilt.com/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hellcat grand Cherokee????

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Sagebrush posted:

Put your Focus RS on airbags, duh

It would certainly improve the ride.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

We'll see what happens to CAFE over the next 12 months. :stare:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

euphronius posted:

Hellcat grand Cherokee????

Trackhawk

Deteriorata posted:

Some of us consider "using the least amount of fuel necessary for the job at hand" to be a virtue.

And they post on prius chat and leave us be.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A friend of mine had a late 80s - early 90s Ford Tempo that was 4x4. Not AWD but it had an actual 2Hi-4Hi-4Lo transfer case next to the 5 speed shifter.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I think you mean "ride a bicycle"

In all seriousness, I partially justify our ownership of a WRX and 93 bronco with the fact that I don't use them for commuting; only trips that actually require a car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I commute to work by bicycle, ride a motorcycle almost anywhere else, and only drive my car when the weather is lovely or I need to pick up something that I can't carry on the bike.

I don't give a poo poo about my fuel economy. Suck em dry

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it was going to have a 3.5 sec 0-60. :wtc:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it was going to have a 3.5 sec 0-60. :wtc:

My prediction:

0-60 in 3.5 seconds
170 mph top speed
10.9 quarter mile
13.5 miles per gallon
10.5 hard launches per transfer case
14 full throttle shifts per transmission

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The price/performance deal of the decade!?!? :haw:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the Giulia is ugly as sin?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

I assumed it was going to be one of those cars that looks better in person. I saw it at the auto show earlier this year. It wasn't.

It definitely seems like the kind of car with extremely polarizing looks. More so then Cadillac (which I largely like).

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Alarbus posted:

The current xDrive system for BMW is a 40/60 power split.

I thought one of the major selling points for the Infiniti G35 or G37 is that it defaults to 100% rear until it had to send power forward, but I didn't look that closely. (No Infiniti dealers in Vermont when I was looking for an awd car.)

The Infiniti system is as you described. It also has a snow mode switch that, among other things, splits the power 50/50. It's quite noticeable.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

My prediction:

0-60 in 3.5 seconds
170 mph top speed
10.9 quarter mile
13.5 miles per gallon

Much like Nissan's "use launch control and the warranty is forfeit"

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

My prediction:

0-60 in 3.5 seconds
170 mph top speed
10.9 quarter mile
13.5 miles per gallon

The stock SRT transmission and AWD is actually really tough and plenty of people are running 800+ without modifications to them. The 6.4 is the weak point when it comes to getting over 500hp and that's solved by the 6.2.

I do hope there's more visual changes because the it looks exactly like the current SRT except for that awful front end because from quarter angles the proportions get wonky and the smaller central grill makes the nose look even more pinched and small than the current SRT. They should have made the central black grill taller instead.

edit:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-106/dsc_3043.jpg vs http://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.ecarlist.com/Xx/do/KW/uV/PE/ez/Ue/WM/sW/eL/LA_640.jpg

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A torque converter is pretty good at soaking up drivetrain shocks, I doubt that there will be too many problems. Manual transmissions and manual-like transmissions like DSG are much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

blk posted:

I think the biggest shame is that it looks like it will be years before they move the Dodge twins to the Giulia platform. The early (mind, early) impressions are that it's a very good platform, and God, the twins would probably absolutely dance with such a lighter, more modern platform.

I expect that that platform with the 'tamer' 5.7 would be a delight, let alone if they shoved the SRT units in there.