Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is why it always bums me out. i'll watch it and not hate it but they could've done so much more with that concept.

It's a John Carpenter movie without John Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deepwater Horizon: Drilling into hell is a good thing, and those who died to get us there are our patriots.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ixian posted:

I watch the SE I wonder why it wasn't the theatrical cut (all of it).

Only part I thought was better left out was the colony scenes with Newt before the landing. I think it takes away some of the tension/surprise in the initial landing & Newt encounter later. The rest was good though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Using Amanda Ripley at all meant the developers were kinda writing themselves into a corner right out of the gate. By involving her in an Alien plot, given what we're shown of the character's fate in 'Aliens', it raises a whole bunch of questions - she doesn't come across as the kind of person who would just give up on the search for her mother, or at least not without some sort of strong motivation. Does she keep searching for answers and Weyland Yutani has her killed and covers it up? Do they pay her off? Does she get some sort of emotional closure and get on with her life? The story kinda almost approaches answering that last one, but then half-asses it and ends on a sequel-bait cliffhanger instead.

I figure the only logical explanation for the ship coming across her drifting in space way the hell out there, is that this is the W-Y ship sent after they receive the messages about how far gone things are on Sevastopol.

So she's found by W-Y, gets "disappeared", and the official story is, she was on Sevastopol when it fell into the gas giant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ixian posted:

It had that actress who was briefly the Hollywood It Girl (I don't remember her name, that is not a status with a long shelf life) topless. That and the fact that Francis Ford Coppola was involved in some bizarre behind the scenes directing drama are the only things I remember about it after you brought it up.

Event Horizon is pretty awesome, though flawed. Good build up, decent if overdone ending, it's the second act of that film that is its biggest problem.
You mean Robin Tunney?

I really like Event Horizon, it's arguably Paul WS Anderson's best movie. I'd love to see an "extended cut" version, it's #3 in my trifecta of movies I've waited forever to get extended editions for (the other two have happened, 'Dark City' and 'Mimic').

Event Horizon is also one of a cluster of movies that are essentially identical, the others being Ghost Ship, Virus, and Deep Rising (and if you want to go into video games, Cold Fear and Dead Space also have the exact same plot structure and execution).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mimic has an extended cut?? I loving love anything featuring Giancarlo Giannini!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Ixian posted:

Everyone dies in the end.

Yeah but it's a good thing.

ruddiger posted:

Deepwater Horizon: Drilling into hell is a good thing, and those who died to get us there are our patriots.

Terraria: The Movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

Mimic has an extended cut?? I loving love anything featuring Giancarlo Giannini!
It sure does!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fantastic! Now all I need is a Blu-ray player. :shobon:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

General Battuta posted:

I just rewatched it and it owns. The two big weaknesses are the characters (the movie doesn't know how to sketch them out vividly like Alien does, so their eventual deaths are pretty bleh) and the escalation of the threat. Alien gets more and more tense as it goes, and holy poo poo does the camera milk those sets for all they're worth. Event Horizon is straight up goofy in a really nineties way, from the walls of blood to the credits music, and it doesn't so much build tension as geyser schlock.

The schlock puts it in the "cult" bracket rather than the "classic" one. There was potential to be something more, but the schlock is pretty fun too. Sam Neill, as much as I love him, is partly to blame. His delivery, while dark and brooding tend to veer into the operatic, which when combined with the subject matter in this movie and In the Mouth of Madness cements his place as the new Jeffrey Combs.

That said, the gore is good, and there are some properly creepy/tense sequences, such as the decompression scene.

Xenomrph posted:

I really like Event Horizon, it's arguably Paul WS Anderson's best movie. I'd love to see an "extended cut" version, it's #3 in my trifecta of movies I've waited forever to get extended editions for (the other two have happened, 'Dark City' and 'Mimic').

It's definitely his best movie, what is arguable is whether it is his only good movie. If I remember correctly there are a few different cuts out there, but the differences are relatively small. I think I read something about there having been some truly awful deleted scenes that unfortunately were lost forever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like it in Mimic when the kids are finding bugs in the subway system but they are murdered by the human side roach after one trips over barbed wire and is trapped.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1597700/alien-covenant-footage-just-screened-and-the-reactions-are-in

Apparently the early footage of Covenant is super duper scary

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

30+ years since the last truly great Alien movie. Frankly I am amazed the AVP poo poo didn't kill it off for good.

Scott is one of the worlds most maddeningly inconsistent directors who can veer from greatness to what-was-he-thinking on the drop of a dime, sometimes even in the same movie. So while I'm cautiously excited for Covenant I'm not going to get too worked up about it. People went nuts for Prometheus prior to its release too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's true, even people who hate Prometheus could have been fooled by 15 minutes of footage, if it were the right scenes. The haters seem to agree that there's a few really effective scenes in it, the worm killing Milburne and Fifield for instance.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
There were a ton of people, even in this forum, who thought it was going to be the Alien of their dreams right up until it hit theaters based on all the hype. I remember the first trailer (or teaser) was particularly good, for example. And that was even in spite of Fox and Scott himself downplaying the Alien elements (at least until the studio marketing team got up to full speed).

I liked Prometheus well enough for what it was but I don't think of it as a good movie. Very inconsistent acting across the board too. Michael Fassbinder pretty much outshone everyone, Charlize Theron gave a great performance with limited material to work with, Idris Elba seemed to be in a different movie, and most everyone else was stuck with annoying one-note stereotypes to make the best out of. Then there's Noomi Rapice, who seemed pretty confused about what she was supposed to be doing most of the time, which is a problem when you are the lead. Her partner was supremely annoying, too.

That movie could have been great without changing the story much. What ended up on the screen was obviously something that started out as one movie and ended up another.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ixian posted:

Scott is one of the worlds most maddeningly inconsistent directors who can veer from greatness to what-was-he-thinking on the drop of a dime

To some extent I think you're gonna get that from most artists who put out this much stuff, unless they are very responsive to what people like about their previous work. He tries a lot of different ideas and not all of them work, but it's probably better than the alternative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can't really name a legendary, prolific director who hasn't had a few failures. Kubrick had a pretty spotless record, but he really was not prolific in the way that directors like Scott(or John Ford, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.) are. I'm sure if Kubrick had made 30-40 films his batting average would have dropped somewhat.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The big problem with Prometheus was that on the one hand you had Scott tossing out random crazy ideas (remember "Jesus was an Engineer"?), and on the other a hack like Damon Lindelof was assigned to put them all together in something acceptable to the studio. Lindelof is one of JJ Abrams' acolytes, and Abrams' loving "Mystery Box" schtick is a cancer that's infected way too many movies. Something doesn't make sense? Where's your sense of wonder, square, it's meant to be a mystery! :iiam:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

The big problem with Prometheus was that on the one hand you had Scott tossing out random crazy ideas (remember "Jesus was an Engineer"?), and on the other a hack like Damon Lindelof was assigned to put them all together in something acceptable to the studio. Lindelof is one of JJ Abrams' acolytes, and Abrams' loving "Mystery Box" schtick is a cancer that's infected way too many movies. Something doesn't make sense? Where's your sense of wonder, square, it's meant to be a mystery! :iiam:

CHALLENGE:

Now that you have gotten the memes out of your system, continue writing about Lindelof's style. What more can you tell us about his style of writing? Maybe compare his style to that of another writer. Can you accomplish this?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've listened to Lindelof's Prometheus commentary and I really agreed with basically everything he was saying about the choices he made with the script.

You can make fun of the "sense of wonder" or whatever, but its something that Prometheus does extremely well. Its probably as close as we're going to get to a movie adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

CHALLENGE:

Now that you have gotten the memes out of your system, continue writing about Lindelof's style. What more can you tell us about his style of writing? Maybe compare his style to that of another writer. Can you accomplish this?

yeah some other writers are good and he's bad. done.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IF you aren't awed at Lindelofs godlike abilities after cowboys and aliens and certain Nash bridges episodes you can suck a tailpipe mister!

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So where's this Alien Covenant trailer at already?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
It's not a trailer. It's that annoying new-ish thing studios are doing more and more lately where they show a handpicked audience culled from the press certain full scenes, etc. designed to generate massive buzz. Then they all go out and tweet how awesome the footage was and it's supposed to carry more weight because it wasn't "just a trailer".

They are free to write what they want, but of course, if they want to keep getting those invites....

Basically it allows the studio to build early buzz before exposing a trailer to the public that a billion nerds will sperg over frame by frame for months.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

oldpainless posted:

IF you aren't awed at Lindelofs godlike abilities after cowboys and aliens and certain Nash bridges episodes you can suck a tailpipe mister!

Lindelof is responsible for one of the best television shows on air right now with The Leftovers.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Every time I catch up on this thread, it makes me want to watch Alien, Aliens, or Prometheus. Today it's Prometheus, which I'm of the opinion is cool and good the end

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Lindelof is responsible for one of the best television shows on air right now with The Leftovers.

Truth

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Ixian posted:

It's not a trailer. It's that annoying new-ish thing studios are doing more and more lately where they show a handpicked audience culled from the press certain full scenes, etc. designed to generate massive buzz. Then they all go out and tweet how awesome the footage was and it's supposed to carry more weight because it wasn't "just a trailer".

They are free to write what they want, but of course, if they want to keep getting those invites....

Basically it allows the studio to build early buzz before exposing a trailer to the public that a billion nerds will sperg over frame by frame for months.

Yeah I get the media event bullshit, but it sounded like (from the article) there was both a trailer released AND this media event that were both screened:

quote:

20th Century Fox is hosting a special 2017 preview event in New York this afternoon, and part of the day included showcasing 15 minutes of footage and a new trailer for Alien: Covenant.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IMB posted:

Every time I catch up on this thread, it makes me want to watch Alien, Aliens, or Prometheus. Today it's Prometheus, which I'm of the opinion is cool and good the end

I just finished watching Prometheus with a friend who had never seen it and he liked it for the most part. However he did have some questions for me. Some of these questions were

How did the guy making the map get lost?
Why was there a big head in the ship?
Why was Vickers such a bitch?
Why did the Engineers hate people?
Why did Shaw think the engineers hated people when she had no knowledge of them?
Why is Shaw such a bad scientist?
Why did Holloway take off his helmet on an unknown planet? That seemed super dangerous.
Why did the captain seem bored the entire movie? They discovered life and there's a video of these alien bodies piled up and the captain is looking at the screen like he's watching a lecture about math.
Why are all these people so bad at their jobs?

These were all actually asked and while I explained the first few it quickly become a losing battle.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I just finished watching Prometheus with a friend who had never seen it and he liked it for the most part. However he did have some questions for me. Some of these questions were

Why did Shaw think the engineers hated people when she had no knowledge of them?
Why did Holloway take off his helmet on an unknown planet? That seemed super dangerous.
Why did the captain seem bored the entire movie? They discovered life and there's a video of these alien bodies piled up and the captain is looking at the screen like he's watching a lecture about math.

These were all actually asked and while I explained the first few it quickly become a losing battle.

Get this man a SA account, he's ready

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Of all of those questions, "Why is Vickers such a bitch" is the most obvious. Its extremely clear that she's grown to hate her father and I imagine it has something to do with him loving himself and a robot more than his own daughter. And by imagine I mean its explicitly spelled out why she hates him.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

oldpainless posted:

Really? Those are like the easiest questions to answer:

- he was stoned and the map was actually on the ship all he had on his wrist was a compass arrow, also storm interference
- it's the first or best engineer or something, they really like it or it's important to their rituals
- she is the ceo of an interplanetary corporation on a mission she doesn't like for a father who didn't want her
- they may not but we're definitely not supposed to muck up their stuff
- she was making an educated guess based on their indifference and cruelty
- she wasn't really, only David outclasses her and he is literately a supercomputerman
- it was he is one of those scientists who goes base-jumping into dig sites (shaw and the others too prob) instead of just using a rope ladder
- he masks his unease with ease. he didn't get all blubbery or hesitant when it came time to suicide either. he's what is called "an old hand"
- they all did their jobs fine. david actually did his too well even

IMB posted:

Get this man a SA account, he's ready

Agreed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anyone who bitches about Lindelof has probably never read the spaihts script of Prometheus that he was asked to fix, which is breathtakingly terrible on every level

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm looking forward to re-watching Promotheus this xmas

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wuffles posted:

Yeah I get the media event bullshit, but it sounded like (from the article) there was both a trailer released AND this media event that were both screened:

Probably just a misunderstanding. Technically it is a trailer, of sorts, in that there is no firm definition of what that is other than "preview of the movie" which is pretty loose.

What they didn't mention was it wouldn't be a publicly available trailer. Probably deliberately so people would talk about it and generate even more buzz. They have this poo poo down to a science. There's going viral naturally, and then there is injecting the virus directly so that it will run it's natural course.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Anyone who bitches about Lindelof has probably never read the spaihts script of Prometheus that he was asked to fix, which is breathtakingly terrible on every level

What was the jist?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

CHALLENGE:

You are Damon Lindelof and I claim my five pounds.

Edit: wait, it's a meme that Lindelof is a lovely writer? Dammit, I was actually in on the ground floor of this one and didn't even know it.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 9, 2016

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

oldpainless posted:

I can expand on this one with a simple logical statement: Engineers are to humans as humans are to Robots. Clearly everyone on the ship was dismissive of David and didn't really trust him because he was a robot, but he was created by humans the same way the humans were created by the engineers. They probably realized we were all a bunch of shitheads that thought they were better than the Engineers and the engineers decided that they should use their capacity as creators to go back and destroy us.

Shaw thought the engineers hated humans because she realized that the black goop was basically a weapon designed to destroy humanity, and there's really no other logical reason to have a weapon that destroys humanity.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

IMB posted:

What was the jist?

Imagine Prometheus, except the movie stops every three lines of dialogue to:

-drop an incredibly hamfisted reference to Aliens
-have the characters explain the plot up to that point in detail, just in case the audience missed it
-lore dump

It's been a couple years since I read it but it's real bad. The script for Passengers is real dumb too so I genuinely don't know why Spaihts keeps getting work.

E: I should also note that nearly all of the elements of Prometheus' plot that get whinged about were present in the original Alien: Engineers script, just a lot more clunky in their implementation. Also the last act is basically trying real hard to be an Aliens style action horror but without any sense for why it worked in Aliens.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Spaihts script is also much closer to the post-Aliens 'how do we make an alien movie' formula. You've got the facehuggers, the evil corporate interests, the new alien variant (it's soft and squishy iirc), they're searching for a specific technology (the engineers' terraforming) rather than big-picture Answers, and it climaxes with fights between mercenaries and the aliens. That's about all I remember.

The only thing Lindelof's script added that I really detest is making it a Christmas movie.