Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Magnus Condomus posted:

Hover and phase shift actually work pretty well together because you can Shift after hovering to get out of a kill box, or shift before hovering to completely change your mid air trajectory.

I understand what you're saying but the reason Low Profile is so good is because it's a great, useful perk for everyone that applies in a variety of situations and just happens to be supremely excellent when combined with Cloak.

Hover and Wallhang basically require you to build your Pilot around them, take exactly the right tacticals and try for exactly the right situations.

While I'm griping about mobility options, it bears mentioning that Titanfall 1 had a Parkour Kit perk that made you wallrun longer.

As FrothyOmen says, because it adds a few more steps to wallrun without changing your velocity it really isn't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygxcUVhQ1yM

I wish they would actually revist the idea. The obvious answer is to take something that normally isn't worth having and combine it with something else that isn't normally worth having to have something that maybe is worth having. So Wallhang + slighly higher wallrun velocity + longer wallrun time might actually be worth taking over "you need this perk to steal batteries with any consistency, also it's a stealth boost, also it's mandatory with Cloak"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Clock me in as someone who was also surprised they didn't nerf Sentry Turret with the patch. I know a few people who use Battery or the Dice Roll Boost for fun but I feel like a majority of people are probably using the SG. I think I've maybe seen the Anti-Titan Sentry maybe TWICE ever.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Double XP codes don't stack with Double XP weekend. :negative:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

As long as we're buffing things that aren't Low Profile, I think that Kill Report would be actually useful if it was just Hit Report.

I looked on Reddit, and apparently the not having XP for anti-titan assists was the "assists vs titans recorded as kills incorrectly" that they "fixed" in the most recent patch. They say they'll be "addressing" it in an upcoming patch, but they just said "addressing" not actually "fixing" so this might be intentional. Me, I really hope it happens before this 2xp weekend because my MGL hasn't gained a level in like forever despite constantly pounding on titans.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Speaking of Lego, this guy made an Alternator and a certain device out of it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Everyone in the world better start getting the pro-anti-titan kit:

Cloak + low Profile + satchels + ordinance expert + (Any AT weapon, probably MGL).

I really don't think people understand how strong cloak and satchel is still.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

^burtle posted:

Clock me in as someone who was also surprised they didn't nerf Sentry Turret with the patch. I know a few people who use Battery or the Dice Roll Boost for fun but I feel like a majority of people are probably using the SG. I think I've maybe seen the Anti-Titan Sentry maybe TWICE ever.

Agreed. The turrets are so annoying to ok certain maps with big long sight lines. It's really obnoxious to be getting peppered with shots from across the map from a turret.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wazzit posted:

Usually have no hesitation but caught this guy shaking his head "please no"

It's a god drat shame that you can't make your Titan thumbs-up in this game.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I understand what you're saying but the reason Low Profile is so good is because it's a great, useful perk for everyone that applies in a variety of situations and just happens to be supremely excellent when combined with Cloak.

Hover and Wallhang basically require you to build your Pilot around them, take exactly the right tacticals and try for exactly the right situations.

Oh yeah I totally understand all that. Hover just happens to match and work with my particular play style, so I haven't had any issues with it. I do wish that more of the loadouts and boosts had more utility though. Phase Rewind is complete trash no matter how you slice it. Makes Dice Roll almost not worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Agreed. The turrets are so annoying to ok certain maps with big long sight lines. It's really obnoxious to be getting peppered with shots from across the map from a turret.

My hot take is that the way the turrets function is incredibly stupid. And like I said last night I love them and they pretty regularly add 5 kills to my match or wipe out an entire enemy team on the way to the bank for me, but they are just totally ill conceived. Right now they have really bad AI and half the time someone can walk right past one and it will just sit there and do nothing. on the other hand they have laser precision and stupidly high DPS, so usually they get kills just from unfortunate fucks walking into their LOS. So outside of throwing one in a bank on Bounty Hunt (which is a totally lame dick move even if I do it every match) and using them against grunts, they are tactically pretty useless and only serve to get you kills you don't really deserve at all.

What I'd like to see is them doing a better job of actually noticing pilots in the area so they can be effectively used for area denial, then nerf the ever loving poo poo out of the DPS. They should be used to push pilots out of an area you are holding down, not as an automated sniper rifle. I'm not saying I'd want to see it nerfed so bad it couldn't get kills, but it should be killing people who are dumb enough to keep running at it, not people who just happen to be in it's LOS.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I finally unlocked Phase shift, but I'm complete garbage with it. Are there uses for it other than as an evasive reset button when I'm losing a gun fight? If this is it I might just go back to Cloak.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Night Blade posted:

I never actually tried this, but hover sounds like it could be useful as a juke. You're in a fire fight with some guy in a hallway and suddenly instead of landing you stop in mid air, ADS and then nail the guy.

Like some guy mentioned earlier it can also be used for titan attacking antics.

It doesn't seem that bad but low profile is just way too good. Like Tone.

Yeah that's the use, but you can also do that by hitting a wall and tapping backwards or hitting an obstacle.

I do it on the roofs and walls of that Japan map where everyone roofcamps the entire time

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Blakkout posted:

I finally unlocked Phase shift, but I'm complete garbage with it. Are there uses for it other than as an evasive reset button when I'm losing a gun fight? If this is it I might just go back to Cloak.

You can use it to cross dangerous terrain and get behind to flank people and things like that. You can also use it to escape your own area denial stuff like thermite floors, get out of gravity stars, etc.

This clip is pre patch so that's the original wingman and terrible punch hit detection.
http://i.imgur.com/eiw4XdG.gifv

It's difficult to use to close gaps on people and flank them but if you get good at it (of which I am not) then it can be use offensively.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Blakkout posted:

Once you get a feel for the timer it's really effective to push into an area that you know is being watched - basically a better version of cloak but on a very short timer. Use it to push into an area you know is being watched or to get behind enemies and waste them, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/0awUhBz.gifv

It's also very, very good for getting on top of and back off of titans safely.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's also very, very good for getting on top of and back off of titans safely.

Just don't misjudge the height or distance cause you'll unphase inside a titan and die which is always sad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Condomus posted:

You can use it to cross dangerous terrain and get behind to flank people and things like that. You can also use it to escape your own area denial stuff like thermite floors, get out of gravity stars, etc.

This clip is pre patch so that's the original wingman and terrible punch hit detection.
http://i.imgur.com/eiw4XdG.gifv

It's difficult to use to close gaps on people and flank them but if you get good at it (of which I am not) then it can be use offensively.

Is this what the game's like on console? (or controller)

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 9, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just don't misjudge the height or distance cause you'll unphase inside a titan and die which is always sad

Yeah - I try to time it so I come out while I'm wallrunning somewhere behind the Titan or out of LOS so this doesn't happen, but I can quickly pick the Titan back up and hop on. Feels badass when it works.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is this what the game's like on console? (or controller)

Nah I was just playing like poo poo and the original wingman is trash on console. I'm really not very good at this game, but get some lucky clips sometimes.

Here's a newer clip of someone not knowing how to deal with phase shift. Please note, this sort of approach will usually get you killed.
http://i.imgur.com/5JblPo3.gifv

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Melee is totally broken in this game and executions feel like the only thing that connects remotely reliably

e: there should be code to detect if an execution is taking place on a roof or in a corner camper and give the executioner invincibility for the animation instead of not

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 9, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Blakkout posted:

I'm never going to not take the opportunity to post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYww2yca2ag

Is this what the game's like on console?

Is everyone on PC insufferable? Anytime someone posts something they make sure to show up and let people know they are playing the real game.

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 9, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Condomus posted:

Nah I was just playing like poo poo and the original wingman is trash on console. I'm really not very good at this game, but get some lucky clips sometimes.

Here's a newer clip of someone not knowing how to deal with phase shift. Please note, this sort of approach will usually get you killed.
http://i.imgur.com/5JblPo3.gifv

Fair enough. it's a bit more obvious that it's a KBM in that second clip.

No one ever seems to really use the phase shift, and a lot that do seem to not know how to use it properly.

Hackan Slash posted:

Is everyone on PC insufferable? Anytime someone posts something they make sure to show up and let people know they are playing the real game.

Nope, it's just you.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

I'm never going to not take the opportunity to post this again. https://youtu.be/eYww2yca2ag

At least they know they're playing against people using keyboards and mice instead of douchebags who hate when other people have fun plugging in one of those stupid things to their PS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not everyone, but PC has no shortage of people that are incapable of comprehending that using a device to aim that is inherently more accurate doesn't not equal skill or something worth bragging about.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Fair enough. it's a bit more obvious that it's a KBM in that second clip.

Oh don't get the wrong idea, I'm playing on Xbone with a xbone controller.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

zolthorg posted:

At least they know they're playing against people using keyboards and mice instead of douchebags who hate when other people have fun plugging in one of those stupid things to their PS4

I've played a lot of fps on console and I think that's a lot less frequent than you imagine. Aim assist is pretty strong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's probably not that common on consoles because it's super obvious when people are using them and I don't really see it that much. The setup is pretty expensive although there's probably a decent amount of people willing to pay for a $150 dongle to cheat and not have to play against other players using a mouse.

Xim users should be shot into the ocean though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

veni veni veni posted:

My hot take is that the way the turrets function is incredibly stupid. And like I said last night I love them and they pretty regularly add 5 kills to my match or wipe out an entire enemy team on the way to the bank for me, but they are just totally ill conceived. Right now they have really bad AI and half the time someone can walk right past one and it will just sit there and do nothing. on the other hand they have laser precision and stupidly high DPS, so usually they get kills just from unfortunate fucks walking into their LOS. So outside of throwing one in a bank on Bounty Hunt (which is a totally lame dick move even if I do it every match) and using them against grunts, they are tactically pretty useless and only serve to get you kills you don't really deserve at all.

What I'd like to see is them doing a better job of actually noticing pilots in the area so they can be effectively used for area denial, then nerf the ever loving poo poo out of the DPS. They should be used to push pilots out of an area you are holding down, not as an automated sniper rifle. I'm not saying I'd want to see it nerfed so bad it couldn't get kills, but it should be killing people who are dumb enough to keep running at it, not people who just happen to be in it's LOS.

Agree completely. They'll sometimes not notice you but then one across the map will just hone in on you when you're on a roof 4 miles away.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hackan Slash posted:

I like the idea of that clip, but I've never seen so many people standing around to get shot at once.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Skyscraper posted:

I like the idea of that clip, but I've never seen so many people standing around to get shot at once.

The absolute pinnacle of those vids is Gamesager (who is a monstrous talent, no doubt) posting his one-sided stomps against little kids and arthritic old men.

Edit: Unlike your normal stomp vids, the inclusion of "The Touch" (plus the well-timed Solid Snake inset) is enough to make the above video worth watching.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

It's mostly people camping sightlines, so if you appear somewhere they don't expect they freeze or won't even turn around.

Like on B on Complex, at the start of the match they'll camp the corner of the point and their team will be camping the hallway to watch their back. People don't expect someone to appear behind them in that scenario.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

More so than other shooters, it's really obvious in this game when someone is playing on one or the other because of how enemies move and how players aim - on PC it's much more frenetic typically.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Hackan Slash posted:

I just feel like half of the time when I use it, I'm the one who ends up disoriented, but maybe I just need practice.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

veni veni veni posted:

It's probably not that common on consoles because it's super obvious when people are using them and I don't really see it that much. The setup is pretty expensive although there's probably a decent amount of people willing to pay for a $150 dongle to cheat and not have to play against other players using a mouse.

Xim users should be shot into the ocean though.

Whats wrong with xim users? Why the gently caress would you want to use an inferior control input to play a shooter?

Also this is like a totally different game on PC, so many things that work on console don't work here because people can actually shoot and move.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Knifegrab posted:

Whats wrong with xim users? Why the gently caress would you want to use an inferior control input to play a shooter?

I suspect the animus derives from the fact that most people cannot afford, or are unwilling to pay, 150$ for a major advantage over their opponents, and may believe that someone in the position to do so should procure a gaming computer if they find a mouse so necessary. This is all rampant speculation on my part, though.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The ability to track you behind walls and cover and respawns of auto titans and turrets could really be relaxed on console

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Also this is like a totally different game on PC, so many things that work on console don't work here because people can actually shoot and move.

Using an unsupported, third party peripheral to give yourself a major advantage over everyone else on a platform is flat out cheating. If someone wants to use K and M they can play on PC.

You sort of answered your own question on at the end of the post there.

E: whether or not a controller is inferior is incredibly subjective. I prefer controllers because I enjoy using them more. Obviously from an accuracy standpoint a mouse is much better, that's why I play on console and consoles do not have native K and M support.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I played Titanfall 1 on PC...with a controller.

Yup.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That just makes you a trooper.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Using an unsupported, third party peripheral to give yourself a major advantage over everyone else on a platform is flat out cheating. If someone wants to use K and M they can play on PC.

You sort of answered your own question on at the end of the post there.

E: whether or not a controller is inferior is incredibly subjective. I prefer controllers because I enjoy using them more. Obviously from an accuracy standpoint a mouse is much better, that's why I play on console and consoles do not have native K and M support.

Whether you enjoy a controller is subjective. A controller is objectively inferior to a keyboard for control.

Also I'm just using a piece of hardware that is still only as good as the input I provide it. It doesn't even have aim assist since turning it off is generally the way to go. Hardly cheating.

Are disabled people who use hacked controllers so they can play with their disability cheaters too? Is anyone who prefers to use a third party control scheme a cheater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Whether you enjoy a controller is subjective. A controller is objectively inferior to a keyboard for control.

Also I'm just using a piece of hardware that is still only as good as the input I provide it. It doesn't even have aim assist since turning it off is generally the way to go. Hardly cheating.

Are disabled people who use hacked controllers so they can play with their disability cheaters too? Is anyone who prefers to use a third party control scheme a cheater?

:allears: