Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They always have some lovely 20 second intro with super loud techno music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even for things where you'd think they'd be helpful for, like how to assemble something or even how to prepare+cook something, they manage to ruin it with the intros, corny background music and speeding the video up when they're actually doing something. And if it's a recipe you better be prepared to hear some 5 minute backstory about why they love this dish and how your mom used to make it for christmas every year and it is your childhood and on and on forever. To be fair though online text recipes are very, very guilty of that too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fuckin' decoy kitchen towels. Looks like a towel and feels like a towel, but simply pushes water around the countertop instead of absorbing anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's even worse when it's a thread with pages of replies so you think you've found the answer, only to find out every reply is "I have the same problem" and monthly bumps of "anyone ever figure this out?".

Related: people that find a solution to a problem they know a lot of people have and refuse to share it because it gives them an advantage at work are incredibly annoying. Or more generally, people who just don't care to help anyone once their problems are taken care of, which I'd imagine is what happens to a lot of those threads that are forever-unanswered.

A combination of this, where someone asks the exact question you want the answer to, no one knows the answer, and the last post is the person who originally asked the question coming back to say "It's OK, I figured it out" but doesn't say what the actual solution was.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The best instructional videos on youtube are the ones where they record their screen and open up notepad to type out annotations in real-time, despite having a microphone turned on and picking up the keyboard clacks, muffled breathing and TV in the background.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Being unemployed, I'm peeved with employment agencies who are obviously hiring Indians through the visa program. I'm not angry with the Indians, because they're just trying to make a life in the US and the companies are obviously doing some kind of legal slave labor thing via our visa program.

That's not my peeve though. Whenever a job comes up that my resume pings their threshold I get an inbox full of emails from just about everyone in that office, as well as calls all day.

It's obvious they did even skim my resume either, because I'm never even close to qualifying, nor do I want to relocate to South Dakota for a 3 month contract.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hardcordion posted:

The best instructional videos on youtube are the ones where they record their screen and open up notepad to type out annotations in real-time, despite having a microphone turned on and picking up the keyboard clacks, muffled breathing and TV in the background.

I love these ones, they're like performance art.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

That's not my peeve though. Whenever a job comes up that my resume pings their threshold I get an inbox full of emails from just about everyone in that office, as well as calls all day.

It's obvious they did even skim my resume either, because I'm never even close to qualifying, nor do I want to relocate to South Dakota for a 3 month contract.

My somewhat related peeve is that my resume actually gives the impression I'm better than I am. I'm a programmer and have been working the same job for ~7 years, but I'm pretty bad at my job so I'm only about as skilled as a normal programmer with 1-2 years experience. So I get all these emails through LinkedIn for jobs I definitely am not qualified for, but "I'm actually way worse than someone with 7 years experience should be" isn't exactly going to inspire much confidence in a prospective employer.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
The town I live in only has green yield lights when turning left. Maybe there are green arrows but I never see them. There should be some on the major busy streets but no. Takes forever to turn left at times.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

...@@@MARKSVIDEOS@@@... (blaring techno, channel has three videos) alright guys, uh, today we're gonna be fixing your uh, your blender. So what you wanna do is, well you see this panel here? Now you're gonna take it off. So you wanna get a screwdriver, I like a 3mm phillips but, uh, i mean any screwdriver would do but that's my go to one if you know, now we're gonna unscrew here... i'll just move that so you can see... and here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

A combination of this, where someone asks the exact question you want the answer to, no one knows the answer, and the last post is the person who originally asked the question coming back to say "It's OK, I figured it out" but doesn't say what the actual solution was.

"I don't have this exact issue or anything like it and didn't even bother to read your question but you should start by defragmenting your hard drive and updating your video card drivers."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

How loving hard is it to stay in your own lane while driving?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think we can all agree on the best youtube instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

I think we can all agree on the best youtube instructional video:

https://youtu.be/-oB6DN5dYWo

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When multiple radio stations all play the same loving song at the same time, but off by a few seconds. So scanning the radio gets you the same song 5 different times and in 4 different lines.

I want someone to remake "Baby It's Cold Outside" with the girl role as a straight man and the other as a gay man. Some lyrics would need to alter for this to work but then maybe straight men wouldn't think the song is romantic. Bonus points for there being a loving Idina Menzel version that had all of us at work cracking up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who replace every instance of "we" with "we the people" when they are talking about politics.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Fuckin' decoy kitchen towels. Looks like a towel and feels like a towel, but simply pushes water around the countertop instead of absorbing anything.

:mad:

I think we have like 2 kitchen towels out of 8 or so that actually absorb anything. even after washing them (by hand and in the washing machine) they're not really any more absorbent. :mad: :mad: :mad:

also lint

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

People who replace every instance of "we" with "we the people" when they are talking about politics.

Ew. Just ew.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Uhh have you ever seen it done, pro driver?

Next you'll be demanding that people avoid tailgating you from 3 feet away when traveling 60 on the highway.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I am now 95% sure that there are a bunch of people loving around in the vacant apartment below us and have been doing that every friday night (like 9pm to 1am) for like a month, but I have no proof other than the direction the sound is coming from.

I just want quiet! oh my god!

edit: my brother called the police because he heard them loving with the power tools and they've been screaming and poo poo

edit 2: we watched a couple of teenage girls leave through the patio doors down there and the cop arrived after they all left, I think. but I'm sure it'll just happen again next week. I guess I should call the property manager on monday to be like 'hey your contractors are leaving this apartment in a way that allows people to go in at night' but they don't loving care about anything :v:

snoo has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Dec 10, 2016

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my pet peeve is that no one cares about anything and I want to die

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

...don't you just fly everywhere?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ew the people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

yo rear end is grass posted:

...don't you just fly everywhere?

She used to, but turbines kept giving her trouble. Even in the air she had traffic issues...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BioEnchanted posted:

She used to, but turbines kept giving her trouble. Even in the air she had traffic issues...

How loving hard is it to stay in your own plane while driving?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I hate that it's apparently grammatically correct to include commas and other punctuation that should be outside of a quote at the end of a sentence inside of the quote. It shouldn't be

quote:

My friend's book, "Bob Goes To The Store," was a success in China

That's nonsense, as is

quote:

I ate seventeen eggs for "breakfast."

Is the book called "Bob Goes To The Store,"? Are you eating "breakfast."?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Counterpoint: who cares. I will also get annoyed if anyone whines that I put two spaces after my periods. It's not hurting anyone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Counterpoint: who cares. I will also get annoyed if anyone whines that I put two spaces after my periods. It's not hurting anyone.

Only because the forums edit that out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah?! Well my pet peeve is people that put two spaces after periods!

It's also literally my job to notice things like that though so whatever.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

The Moon Monster posted:

I really hate it in TV shows or whatever when some "ethnic" character will throw in words in their native language and then immediately follow them up in English. "I'm a throwing una fiesta grande! A big party!"

No one talks like this! And everyone knows what a fiesta is!

Similarly, when someone speaks perfect conversational English for ten minutes, then gets to "goodbye" or "thank you" and suddenly it's an exaggerated "gracias, adios." Your vocabulary is wide enough to know what a microwave or chest of drawers or whatever is, but you can't think of how to say "thank you"?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

The Moon Monster posted:

And everyone knows what a fiesta is!

Yep. A big nap. I'm gonna go have one in a few minutes.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Based on the drivers around here? It's really loving hard since no one does.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When you ask a question of someone, like, "Hey, did Bob get approval for the project? How much?"

The reply is "Yes. Guess."

No, no, no. This is not how a loving real live conversation works. Poor communication is the ONLY way movies move along, but in real life, you don't laugh and ask me to guess a number. Did any of our foster kittens get adopted? Yes, which ones? NO I am not going to loving guess, bitch! We had six kittens go, you want me to list off every possible combination?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Drivers who are too nice. It's one thing to wave someone through at a four-way stop when it's just the two of you, but don't stop for someone turning left on a multiple lane highway. No one is sure what you're doing, traffic in the other lane is still going, and you're holding up traffic behind you. Then there's the added bonus that maybe you'll get tired of being nice and decide to go right when the person turning left figures it's safe enough in the other lanes.
If you have the right of way, just go with it.

edit:
Also pedestrians who stand at the foot of a crosswalk, so you stop for them and they shake their head or wave you through. Like if you're not crossing step back a few feet drat it.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Dec 11, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The word adulting.

"Adulting is soooo hard" gently caress u get good you wimp

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Strategic Tea posted:

...@@@MARKSVIDEOS@@@... (blaring techno, channel has three videos) alright guys, uh, today we're gonna be fixing your uh, your blender. So what you wanna do is, well you see this panel here? Now you're gonna take it off. So you wanna get a screwdriver, I like a 3mm phillips but, uh, i mean any screwdriver would do but that's my go to one if you know, now we're gonna unscrew here... i'll just move that so you can see... and here.

The worst ones are for anything even remotely "nerdy" because eventually you get that video with the guy who sounds like he's out of breath from turning his computer on and the cadence of his speech is all loving weird in that specific "socially awkward internet dweeb" way and he mispronounces a bunch of words because he's only ever seen them in print and never heard them spoken before. Case in point: WoW raid strategy videos were pretty useful back when I played, but lmao the dude pronounced malady as m'lady.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

How loving hard is it to stay in your own plane while driving?
lmao

I heart bacon posted:

Based on the drivers around here? It's really loving hard since no one does.
I've started hitting the horn when some idiot starts veering into my lane while I'm passing them. I am angry that this happens enough that I need a protocol for it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I went to two different sad things this weekend and booooy do I have a lot.

1-a funeral of a family friend who lost his 96 year old grandmother
2-a friend's get-together because she broke up with her boyfriend of 12 years

:words: incoming

prying

"Why did you guys break up?" "How did she die?"

"What's he doing now?"

"What are you going to do now?" And similar statements like "Where are you going to live?" (Prying on the person's life. Let them handle it! Unless they want to give the info don't say this!)

turning the conversation onto yourself/ arrogance

"Tell me if you need ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL" emphasizing the anything, implying you're such a good and benevolent person. "Tell me if you need anything" in a normal tone is different because you're just saying you're there for them if they want it. It's subtle but very different.

"I had [x] happen to me too" e.g. "I broke up with a longtime boyfriend too and I was super depressed" or "My [close family member] died in [year]" bonus point if they add "but I got past it."

"I know how you feel" (no you don't know how they feel since everyone and every situation is different)

"When I had [x] I did [y]"

general condescending

"I'm really worried about you" (implying she's suicidal which she has never been suicidal or had depression in her life)

"Do you want me to stay with you for a few days?" (Implying she, a grown woman, can't take care of herself).

"You still have [x]" e.g. "You still have the rest of your family"

"How are you doing/ how are you holding up" in a pitying tone and that certain "sad" facial expression when they ask it (such pity... and what the gently caress are they supposed to say, "I'm good!" when they obviously aren't. But unfortunately society dictates they say, "I'm ok." I'm probably autistic because if I were asked this I would say "like poo poo")

"Look at the bright side" possibly adding, "you don't have to deal with [thing] anymore" (this also fits into advice giving, the following category)

Advice giving

"Think of all the good things in your life" (I particularly hate this one)

"You should do something to take your mind off this"

"You should take a couple of days off work" (yes and lose money and potentially get fired since she just got her job a few weeks ago)

"You should go on a date" (dude, they just broke up on Wednesday (the get together was Saturday), I don't think this is a good time for her to go on a date)

"You should get a cat" (wtf? And she is super allergic: she can't even come into my house cause I have cats)

"You should do [x]" and similar "you should do [x] to get your mind off this"

Basically anything that starts with "you should..."

condescending future predictions

"It'll be alright" (this is not appropriate since this is a big deal to them so I don't think the person is looking super positively towards the figure)

"Life goes on"

"You'll get a new boyfriend" (oh my god)

Imo the appropriate things to say are "I'm sorry" and "let me know if you want to talk, or need anything" in a normal tone, not the weird turning-attention-to-your-'benevolent'-self tone I described earlier-- and possibly a hug if they're ok with hugs. And buy them some drinks if they want.

There's probably a bunch I'm forgetting but man did I hear a ton of stupid poo poo this weekend.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Dec 12, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Car repair videos are the worst for this.

*30 sec intro blaring AC/DC at 120% volume featuring default Windows Movie Maker title cards*

hey guys i'm gonna, um, today... um

*vertical cell phone video shakes, loud bursts of noise as the phone brushes up against poo poo*

like okay...today, um, i'm gonna show...ya'll how to, um... like when, okay, i know lots of people have this problem, so... um, i'm gonna

I know I self-quoted but I was just thinking about how much this pissed me off the other day. I'm trying to figure out how to diagnose and repair my truck and it's 100% that poo poo. How hard is it to just throw up title cards or just say aloud, "There are four bolts right here that need removed" and point at them?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have seen 1 video ever that was "here's how to fix the problem that you looked up this video to learn how to fix thanks bye" in 20 seconds, and I wish that was the standard and not the exception, because ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Re: making the conversation all about yourself, I can't stand people who need to relate someone else's experience to a similar one of theirs in order to comprehend said experience. Believe it or not, unless you're the one doing the processing, nobody in the moment gives a flying gently caress about your journey to understanding.