Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phimosissy posted:

Half-elves only get low-light vision, sorry

Someone hasn't played 5e, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

Where do you draw the line? How far along to we bring their society? Agrarian? Industrial? Warp capable? Once we've decided how far they can go with our help, how do we deal with them constantly asking us for better technology? What do you do when you beam down and start "improving" their world and then they end up resenting you for destroying their world with your evil technology? Especially when we have Insurrection where they think they are studying some primitive race and it turns out they can make any technology they want, they just choose not to.
I think there are some interesting correlaries or case law or whatever about the PD, based on what we see. The warp-drive limit seems to be kind of arbitrary, but after that, the Federation seems to have no issues with sharing their goods. I'm not sure how closely the PD affected interacting with other warp cultures off hand, that seems like it was more ambiguous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no way to draw a hard line with the prime directive. Being warp capable doesn't mean a species is ready for the galaxy at large. Humanity was not ready for everything when Cochran made his flight. In some ways they were behind even where we are today. Then you have a civilization like what we have now where we are potentially ready to contact an alien race and are actively searching for other life. We just don't have the technological know how to do interstellar travel. Whereas a completely militarized race that focuses purely on scientific advancement in pursuit of being more powerful at the expense the welfare of its people is not something you would want to interact with.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Prime Directive is like the Three Laws of Robotics, its function as a fictional absolute rule shouldn't be mistaken for a creative absolute. It exists precisely to be debated, bent, resisted and otherwise manipulated for the sake of drama and allegory, as it was in TOS. The problems came in the TNG era when the writers often forgot that and treated it like holy scripture in need of apologetic treatises instead of a literary device to explore the human condition.

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way to draw a hard line with the prime directive. Being warp capable doesn't mean a species is ready for the galaxy at large. Humanity was not ready for everything when Cochran made his flight. In some ways they were behind even where we are today. Then you have a civilization like what we have now where we are potentially ready to contact an alien race and are actively searching for other life. We just don't have the technological know how to do interstellar travel. Whereas a completely militarized race that focuses purely on scientific advancement in pursuit of being more powerful at the expense the welfare of its people is not something you would want to interact with.

This is all exactly on point and a series about Starfleet Special Circumstances dealing with these kinds of unique/edge cases would be great.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They were ready and willing to accept VULCAN AID to UNDERMINE OUR VALUES and EXPORT ALL OUR PRECIOUS COD, is what.

What I wonder is what happens when there's a warp civilization that contacts the Federation and then declines entrance or the like. I mean there clearly are some, but it seems like you'd be sentencing yourself to relative irrelevancy, even if the Federation is willing to cut you a break on some local star systems and so on.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's like if you open a restaurant and decline to put root beer on the menu!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"It's called black licorice"

"A warrior's candy!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

What I wonder is what happens when there's a warp civilization that contacts the Federation and then declines entrance or the like. I mean there clearly are some, but it seems like you'd be sentencing yourself to relative irrelevancy, even if the Federation is willing to cut you a break on some local star systems and so on.

Weren't most of the aliens of the week from TNG non-member species? And of course there's Bajor, with everyone expecting Deep Space Nine to be a random secondhand outpost in the middle of nowhere and Bajor never wanted to join. Would have stayed that way if not for the wormhole.

Phimosissy posted:

Half-elves only get low-light vision, sorry

Is that the disadvantage the Vulcan Science Academy meant?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if there's an industry in exporting holo-sims of the Battle of Thermopylae and the like to Klingons who are bored by their own culture

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if there's an industry in exporting holo-sims of the Battle of Thermopylae and the like to Klingons who are bored by their own culture

Industry in a post-money society? What are you a Ferengi? I'm sure there are enough non-Starfleet history buff people who sit around all day reading and debating ancient Earth history and making holo simulations of every possible event in Earth's history. And because programming in Star Trek seems as easy as giving the computer a few verbal commands, the Federation probably has more holo programs that they will ever need.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

FuturePastNow posted:

Personally I'd like to play that simulation from the Persian side. Give the Spartans a right asskicking.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brick Card posted:

Industry in a post-money society? What are you a Ferengi? I'm sure there are enough non-Starfleet history buff people who sit around all day reading and debating ancient Earth history and making holo simulations of every possible event in Earth's history. And because programming in Star Trek seems as easy as giving the computer a few verbal commands, the Federation probably has more holo programs that they will ever need.

There was that one fellow, Quark's cousin's associate, who seemed to be human but completely and utterly Ferengi in outlook and desire.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rhyno posted:

I think I screwed up somewhere

Man those cities from The 37's really were something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VanSandman posted:

There was that one fellow, Quark's cousin's associate, who seemed to be human but completely and utterly Ferengi in outlook and desire.
There's no reason why there can't be hew-mons who live outside of the Federation (and perhaps also the protection *of* the Federation). There were the people who spliced up Bashir, arguably Harry Mudd...

And programming holosuite programs, especially of the more... intimate kind, is an excellent route to profit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are definitely going to be fringe humans who love capitalism.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been rewatching DS9 and when they're on earth visiting Sisko's Resturant, and I realized that on Earth you must be able to open any business you want as long as you're willing to run it. That's gotta be nice.

Earth probably has a pretty low population density though so people have way more freedom to do what they want. I think that's why DS9 is probably one of the best Trek series made, as it really gives you the idea of what life is like in the Federation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We've moved past capitalism"

*Walks down to a bar that costs money, run by an alien from a race obsessed with money, despite that money doesn't exist or something*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Deep Space 9 is ran by the Federation but it's not in the Federation and there's very little expected Federation traffic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Deep Space 9 is ran by the Federation but it's not in the Federation and there's very little expected Federation traffic.

*Is a member of the federation*

*Gambles at the bar with... Something, I guess*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See, that's the question you should have been asking to begin with.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

*Tries to pay a smuggler (what could need smuggling in our collective free of want and hunger?) to go to the Genesis planet*

Pretend I mentioned the other 500 times money comes up in the Federation here

The Federation is very post-capitalism until the need arises to write a plot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

*Is a member of the federation*

*Gambles at the bar with... Something, I guess*
Reckon they probably give you a stipend for trade with locals in situations like that, possibly out of the recreation budget.

Like it seems clear the Federation knows what money *is* and engages in trade with groups that still use currency-based economics as a macro-entity.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
It's not like they forgot how money works or don't need to use it with other civilizations.

Humans don't kill each other anymore but the ship still has phasers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Star Trek was never really made for exploring the logistics of a utopian society. It's like calling the language in Darmok unrealistic. That's not the point!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The bug-folk had to be awkward enough for the dumbass tv audiences of 1988 to not get confused. I'm pretty sure that the most clever thing done on tv at that point was color.

I get your joke, but I think the more striking example would be stereo sound. Isn't it weird to think that there were television stations where shows like Star Trek TNG and Babylon 5 were only available in mono?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Remember that being warp-capable doesn't mean the Prime Directive no longer applies at all, it just means that contact and interaction is now permitted, presumably because at that point contact is inevitable. The PD still requires the Federation to not interfere in the societal development or internal affairs of another civilization.

If anything, I think an aggressively hostile society achieving warp drive would be a priority candidate for contact, if only to warn them off of trying piracy against nearby freighters or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

They were ready and willing to accept VULCAN AID to UNDERMINE OUR VALUES and EXPORT ALL OUR PRECIOUS COD, is what.

In TNG there were at least two episodes where planets were being evaluated for admission to the Federation, and were rejected.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not usually this emotional so maybe it's just because I'm sick with a bad bug today, but I watched Duet on a whim and broke down bawling. :smith: What good loving acting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In TNG there were at least two episodes where planets were being evaluated for admission to the Federation, and were rejected.
I mean more like some baby pre-warp civilization that pops its way out, talks to the Federales for a while, and then goes "No, we will stay independent in the name of Space States' Rights." If they were completely surrounded by Fed territory this would be awkward for them, potentially. Kind of like the Asimov story with the one planet with non-human intelligent life in his Galactic Empire.

They also probably have weird stuff we barely or hardly ever see, like hydrogen-breathing gas bag civilizations. The closest we got was the Tholians and I guess the Breen.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are various novels and such that show Horta integrating successfully with Federation society but well nobody cares about the novels

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sunday at work posted:

It's not like they forgot how money works or don't need to use it with other civilizations.

Humans don't kill each other anymore but the ship still has phasers.

*Is a utopian post-scarcity society*

*Engages in trade, which would not be necessary in said society*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

They also probably have weird stuff we barely or hardly ever see, like hydrogen-breathing gas bag civilizations. The closest we got was the Tholians and I guess the Breen.

Medusans, the goons of the federation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

*Is a utopian post-scarcity society*

*Engages in trade, which would not be necessary in said society*

Society can be post-scarcity on an individual consumer level and not a state level, though. Like there's actually nothing weird at all about the Federation being absurdly rich enough to provide a lavish life of luxury for all of its citizens while still needing to engage in international trade for other things.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Hey, it looks like we have some money."

"M-money? Money doesn't even make sense in our post-scarcity society."

"We can use it to trade for goods with these other people that still use money."

"Why do they still use money? Once they see that we are post-scarcity, they will either want or be forced to adopt our system, because of its obvious social, economic, and tactical advantages. Capitalist systems are now embarrassing dinosaurs."

"Due to long-entrenched belief systems, they are unable to conceptualize why this is an advantage, and continue to place societal value on money. For instance, the Ferengi intensely value money and profit."

"That actually doesn't matter. Money is literally no object. We can transform ambient atoms into food and create virtual reality systems so powerful that they can turn real, obviating money. Once the Ferengi realize this, it will inevitably revolutionize their society the way it has ours, whether they resist it or not, because post-scarcity economics crosses a threshold and will necessarily affect everything that interacts with it. Imagine the Industrial Revolution, times a million."

"Well, we've received a stipend from the Federation to spend in interactions with these people. What will we do with it?"

"Gamble it, in order to make more money! How exciting to us!"

"Or, we could pay Quark to make us replicated food, a thing that exists everywhere, even here on Bumfuck Nowhere Station."

"Oops, I poo poo my pants again!"

"Did I mention we also have a holodeck here? Life in and around DS9 is so much more difficult than in the rest of the Federation, for some reason."

"We haven't told the Bajorans about any of this, as a joke."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Actually, I'm pretty sure replicators use some kind of goo, and I think latinum can't be produced artificially for some sciency reason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure replicators use some kind of goo, and I think latinum can't be produced artificially for some sciency reason.

Before I go off again, let me just say that it's pretty obvious that the Federation still uses money and recognizable economics. If they did what they claim (frequently espoused in monologues by Picard in particular), which is to say, evolved past the need for money or personal differences, they would be unrecognizable to us.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They are not unrecognisable largely because the writers aren't that good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Before I go off again, let me just say that it's pretty obvious that the Federation still uses money and recognizable economics. If they did what they claim (frequently espoused in monologues by Picard in particular), which is to say, evolved past the need for money or personal differences, they would be unrecognizable to us.
Depends what you mean by these.

If you mean "past the need for money," they seem to be post-scarcity on an individual level. The closest thing to a genuinely oppressed class are people settling shithole colonies, and these were either done deliberately or, in the case of the Maquis, done deliberately and then protested by military action after border adjustments. I don't think a desire for money is somehow an axiomatic psychological principle in human beings. It obviously isn't for Ferengi, whose entire religion is built around it.

Personal differences I'll give you, but I always thought the idea was meant to be more 'general higher level of psychological health' than 'transhuman calmdrones,' Gene's early remarks notwithstanding.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Pakled posted:

There are various novels and such that show Horta integrating successfully with Federation society but well nobody cares about the novels

They appear in the Diane Duane novels, which are good Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm not sure why Star Trek is on BBC America constantly now, but I was watching The Ultimate Computer and I didn't remember that in this instance of Kirk talking a computer to death he convinces the M5 to turn itself off because "the punishment for murder is death". drat, not even modern America sentences all murders to death. Also murder is wrong because "it's against man and God". Some pretty non-Star Trek ideas in this episode.