Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

awesmoe posted:

I've never resisted the temptation to start a war for 5 years regardless of speed. I got a fever and the only cure is to paint the world red with blood

Play Buddhists.

I'm doing a game as Pagarruyung (best start in Malaya tbqh). I've gone Exploration -> Quality -> Expansion -> Trade -> Naval for my idea groups. To me, maritime seems like the logical next idea group but I've only ever seen people deride it as a joke idea group. Is it really that? I'm almost entirely reliant on my navy and with quality, my army is more than capable of squashing the neighbours. I don't foresee a war with the European powers on land, maybe a fight with Japan so I can control the whole Pacific Ocean but they're way behind on military tech. Talk me out of this bad decision if it's really such a bad idea group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Play Buddhists.

I'm doing a game as Pagarruyung (best start in Malaya tbqh). I've gone Exploration -> Quality -> Expansion -> Trade -> Naval for my idea groups. To me, maritime seems like the logical next idea group but I've only ever seen people deride it as a joke idea group. Is it really that? I'm almost entirely reliant on my navy and with quality, my army is more than capable of squashing the neighbours. I don't foresee a war with the European powers on land, maybe a fight with Japan so I can control the whole Pacific Ocean but they're way behind on military tech. Talk me out of this bad decision if it's really such a bad idea group.

If you get maritime you can finally confirm the thalassocracy :shepface:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tsyni posted:

If you get maritime you can finally confirm the thalassocracy :shepface:

Mainly I want to circumnavigate the world and it seems they've made that a lot harder to do with attrition since I got the achievement.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fintilgin posted:

I wish they'd play around with idea groups a bit more, beyond just rebalancing the lovely ones and the plutocratic/aristocratic split.

Like, say, Advanced groups, where if you finish a group it unlocks an optional advanced version, so I could choose to double down on my being innovative or trade focused. Split some of the really good groups everyone takes across two groups to make them less of a no brainer and make less chosen groups crazy powerful if you double down.

Maybe give some nations a unique bonus to buying certain groups in their starting traditions, like England gets a 50% discount on buying Naval or Maritime ideas, or the Papal States gets a 50% for religious?

Maybe instead of just having a 'religious' group, each religion could have its own unique religious group with some different twists.

Maybe lock some idea groups so you can't be both offensive & defensive while focusing on quality and quantity simultaneously. I guess it might be too complicated, but I could even see mutually exclusive similar groups, so Exploration A focuses on trade, gives you QFTNW, 1 colonist, and 2 traders because you're going around Africa, Exploration B gives you QFTNW, 3 colonists, 0 traders, because you're going for America, you get QFTNW either way but you can't take both groups.

It just seems like you could do some more fun stuff with idea groups in general, even if my specific ideas are crap.

Maybe I should just try one of the mods that adds 5000 idea groups and is probably hilariously unbalanced. :lol:

Games are usually over by the time you can fill out 4 idea groups though, adding more is just unnecessary bloat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem is maritime doesn't actually give you that much. The back half is decent, but the first ideas are pretty poor.

Generally you're better off making more money and then improving your navy via building more boats.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

The problem is maritime doesn't actually give you that much. The back half is decent, but the first ideas are pretty poor.

Generally you're better off making more money and then improving your navy via building more boats.

I control the Malacca trade node so money isn't an issue. I considered economic ideas but I'm still making my way through expansion even with getting 13 admin points per month so I'm not sure another admin group makes sense.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eej posted:

Games are usually over by the time you can fill out 4 idea groups though, adding more is just unnecessary bloat.

That depends what you consider over and what achievements/goals you're going for imo. Some of the tougher ones I've done have come down to the wire and I certainly felt that my later idea picks were still relevant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

awesmoe posted:

anyway: janissaries - yes or no? I went with no (I didn't create them) but I think that's a bad call, since it looks pretty easy to avoid the disaster?

The bonus is 10% manpower 10% inf ability 5% discipline for 100+ years, until your ruler doesn't have a 5 stat, then you get +x% progress per month (which is probably 0% because you're ottomans so you wont be bankrupt or not be a great power etc).
If you get a 5+ ruler, does the progress reset to 0?

If it fires, how long do you get the +25% tech/idea cost -25% manpower for? Couple of years?

The Janissary decadence disaster is trivially easy to avoid now, assuming you have Rights of Man, since you can choose from one of three heirs. If none of your three options have a 5+, just pick one and disinherit him, and you'll get the new heir event fairly soon. Just make sure you keep your prestige high.

And you get the penalty until you disband the Janissaries.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wafflecopper posted:

That depends what you consider over and what achievements/goals you're going for imo. Some of the tougher ones I've done have come down to the wire and I certainly felt that my later idea picks were still relevant.

I mean "over" in that your individual idea choices aren't as important in achieving your goals for that playthrough. I would say most cheevos fall under that general umbrella.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Truces seem very bugged in my current run:

The truce says it ends on December, yet it ends on the 19th of November...

And the truce is still up.

It disappears 3 days later, for some reason :confused:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a little disappointing that your later idea picks are going to end up less and less exciting, since you're going to start by picking the most interesting one, then the second-most, etc, and by the end of the game all you have are the dregs. Not an insanely high priority thing to 'fix', but it'd be nice.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Baron Corbyn posted:

I control the Malacca trade node so money isn't an issue. I considered economic ideas but I'm still making my way through expansion even with getting 13 admin points per month so I'm not sure another admin group makes sense.

Naval is good when you can't afford more boats than the opposition and is usually only used in multiplayer if someone *really* wants to rule the seas. In singleplayer, you never have any competition expanding at a similar rate to the player, so you can just throw more boats at everyone after the first 50-100 years.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Ran into a fun bug (?) during my Great Perm game, yesterday.

I released Norway as a vassal since they're a colonizer; I was hoping they'd help me fill up Canada. They did colonize, but they went to Colombia instead, which in retrospect was probably for the best!

See, it turns out that vassals can have their own colonial nations. That's not unreasonable in itself, but what's odd is that your subjects' subjects don't count as your own subjects. That probably means that I'd have been out of luck for the Great Perm cheevo if there was a Norwegian Canada (until I broke vassalization & conquered them). I discovered this through another small effect, when to go in and clear out their rebels, I had to get military access from them, which took up a diplo slot as normal.

That would've been okay, too, would've just cost me a few diplo points for going over my relations limit... except that when I tried to cancel the military access, I couldn't.

See, I was in a war at the time, and wars call in both your subjects and your subjects' subjects, meaning that Norwegian Colombia was now my ally in a war. And since they had troops inside their own borders (right under the tooltip), I couldn't cancel military access with them, since my allies (them) had forces inside their borders...

Thankfully the war was a quick one & I was able to cancel military access once it was over, but man, Paradox is really something.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

Ran into a fun bug (?) during my Great Perm game, yesterday.

I released Norway as a vassal since they're a colonizer; I was hoping they'd help me fill up Canada. They did colonize, but they went to Colombia instead, which in retrospect was probably for the best!

See, it turns out that vassals can have their own colonial nations. That's not unreasonable in itself, but what's odd is that your subjects' subjects don't count as your own subjects. That probably means that I'd have been out of luck for the Great Perm cheevo if there was a Norwegian Canada (until I broke vassalization & conquered them). I discovered this through another small effect, when to go in and clear out their rebels, I had to get military access from them, which took up a diplo slot as normal.

That would've been okay, too, would've just cost me a few diplo points for going over my relations limit... except that when I tried to cancel the military access, I couldn't.

See, I was in a war at the time, and wars call in both your subjects and your subjects' subjects, meaning that Norwegian Colombia was now my ally in a war. And since they had troops inside their own borders (right under the tooltip), I couldn't cancel military access with them, since my allies (them) had forces inside their borders...

Thankfully the war was a quick one & I was able to cancel military access once it was over, but man, Paradox is really something.

That is a bit odd, but if you annexed them you should get their colonial nations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tsyni posted:

That is a bit odd, but if you annexed them you should get their colonial nations.

Fair point! I'd made them a march, they had ~200 development, and my rivals were constantly sabotaging my diplomatic reputation (even with diplomats dedicated to counterespionage!), all of which made annexing vassals a real pain... but you're right that it might still have been easier than releasing & re-conquering them, in the hypothetical necessity.

Other fun from that game:

I guess my armies brought traders along with them? Funny that the Chinese are dictating terms under the circumstances, though...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did you need to ask for military access? If they're your allies in war then you should already have military access

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

It's a little disappointing that your later idea picks are going to end up less and less exciting, since you're going to start by picking the most interesting one, then the second-most, etc, and by the end of the game all you have are the dregs. Not an insanely high priority thing to 'fix', but it'd be nice.

Might be fun to have ideas cheaper and come faster. Have some other mechanic late game

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fintilgin posted:

Might be fun to have ideas cheaper and come faster. Have some other mechanic late game

Obvious easy solution would be having different tiers of ideas which unlock with tech. You could throw in some really broken stuff if it only worked from 1750 or whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Obvious easy solution would be having different tiers of ideas which unlock with tech. You could throw in some really broken stuff if it only worked from 1750 or whatever.
This should be the future of ideas.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Most of my liking of national ideas is that they aren't your typical 50 branch 4x tech trees. Adding more would certainly fun to an extent (though what else can they really add without making up a bunch of new mechanics?) But you lose me once you start layering or branching. This really isn't that kind of game IMO.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Did you need to ask for military access? If they're your allies in war then you should already have military access

I might have asked for military access before the war started? You don't seem to automatically get military access from allies, though - earlier in that game, I was unable to go through Brandenburg to get to France after calling them in to my war until I'd explicitly asked them for military access.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

I might have asked for military access before the war started? You don't seem to automatically get military access from allies, though - earlier in that game, I was unable to go through Brandenburg to get to France after calling them in to my war until I'd explicitly asked them for military access.

Is this maybe a day-1 travel issue? Calling an ally into a war usually takes at least a day, and the ability to actually travel through their territory may not kick in until the next month starts

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This should be the future of ideas.

*Monkey paw clenches a finger*

Patch 1.2.0.

Administrative and Religious can only be chosen after you have chosen 2 other Administrative idea groups
Diplomatic and Influence can only be chosen after you have chosen 2 other Diplomatic idea groups
Defensive, Quality, Offensive can only be chosen after you have already chosen 2 other Military idea groups

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I've had some weird access things happen. AI armies going into countries that they had no access to, and not being able to follow. An army being stuck and only able to go between a fort and neighboring province in a country I just peaced out -- and who was the only enemy -- until I got access from a neighbor and escaped there. AI armies not knowing which way they wanted to go and changing their mind every day. Granted, that one's been in various forms since forever.

Seems most of these are new from the past patch or two.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My only issue with that from the recent patch is that sometimes when I peace out with someone that isn't the war leader, one of my armies gets stuck in enemy territory and can only move between two provinces. The other armies get the black flag and can go wherever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

My only issue with that from the recent patch is that sometimes when I peace out with someone that isn't the war leader, one of my armies gets stuck in enemy territory and can only move between two provinces. The other armies get the black flag and can go wherever.
I've seen this a few times, buy it usually resolved itself after a few months or after all the wars end.

Eej posted:

*Monkey paw clenches a finger*

Patch 1.2.0.

Administrative and Religious can only be chosen after you have chosen 2 other Administrative idea groups
Diplomatic and Influence can only be chosen after you have chosen 2 other Diplomatic idea groups
Defensive, Quality, Offensive can only be chosen after you have already chosen 2 other Military idea groups
:gonk:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I tried playing Mutapa recently but Kilwa came in immediately when they hit tech 3 and I just couldn't beat them. If I want to try them again, should I switch to mil focus immediately and see if I can get the tech upgrade before them?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Always MIL focus, at least outside of Europe.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mysticblade posted:

I tried playing Mutapa recently but Kilwa came in immediately when they hit tech 3 and I just couldn't beat them. If I want to try them again, should I switch to mil focus immediately and see if I can get the tech upgrade before them?

Mutapa has gold mines so you can smash Kilwa right from the start with mercs over force cap. Which you should probably do asap to weaken an annoying neighbor.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mysticblade posted:

yes, miltechs 2-5,7, and 12 are some of the strongest single military boosts a nation can get and should usually be prioritized as any nation but especially if any neighbor is ahead of you

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
679 loving provinces, every one of them dutifully sunni, including Thatta (504), Córdoba (225), Constantinople (151), Baghdad (410), Mecca (385), Medina (384), Messina (124), Palermo (125), Dagestan (425), Damascus (382), Samarkand (454), Ifni (347), Aden (388) and Muscat (400), and I just realized I don't have the Star and Crescent dlc

man

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

awesmoe posted:

679 loving provinces, every one of them dutifully sunni, including Thatta (504), Córdoba (225), Constantinople (151), Baghdad (410), Mecca (385), Medina (384), Messina (124), Palermo (125), Dagestan (425), Damascus (382), Samarkand (454), Ifni (347), Aden (388) and Muscat (400), and I just realized I don't have the Star and Crescent dlc

I :lol:'d

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm actually glad that Unify Islam is so annoying to activate since otherwise I would probably feel compelled to shell out for Star & Crescent (which would be bad since it's really lovely value for money as it's part of the deluxe edition crap)

Eej posted:

Mutapa has gold mines so you can smash Kilwa right from the start with mercs over force cap. Which you should probably do asap to weaken an annoying neighbor.

This strat work really well, your starting ruler is also a fairly badass leader which helps. You also need to do mil focus if you start anywhere that has starting mil tech 2 but you can totally wreck Kilwa with mercs due to being so rich.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

I SAM'd that motherfucker with no shame whatsoever

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
99% of all OPM or small country starts consist of "build over your force limit and smash your nearest neighbor as soon as you can"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sloshmonger posted:

I've had some weird access things happen. AI armies going into countries that they had no access to, and not being able to follow.
Yes, that happens quite a lot.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eej posted:

99% of all OPM or small country starts consist of "build over your force limit and smash your nearest neighbor as soon as you can"

Hey now, let's not forget "restart the game until you get the right combination of major powers rivalling each other so you can ally one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That only applies to like... Grenada and Byzantium starts off the top of my head. Which, of course, are super frustrating.

e: probably also some random German OPMs but I never play that region

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Which of Brandenburg or Teutonic Order is a more fun country for forming Prussia these days? I'm leaning towards TO because I have so little experience with theocracies. Does Rights of Man add anything interesting for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

That only applies to like... Grenada and Byzantium starts off the top of my head. Which, of course, are super frustrating.

e: probably also some random German OPMs but I never play that region

Byz is actually very consistantly doable in the latest patch with just Albania + 2 (wallachia / serbia / bosnia, or even candar or trebizond will work) as allies. The AI will repeatedly attack your 5/5 general in mountains which lets you crush them in spite of the huge disparity in raw strength. Though obviously this requires Albania to not hate you. If you get bigger allies it actually makes the Ottomans leave you alone which means waiting decades to get enough favour to start a war, or you can do the whiny baby method of turning off Cossacks to make alliances into an I win button again.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Which of Brandenburg or Teutonic Order is a more fun country for forming Prussia these days? I'm leaning towards TO because I have so little experience with theocracies. Does Rights of Man add anything interesting for them?

RoM adds a unique government for Prussia which guarantees your monarchs will have 3+ mil score and makes your military even more brokenly strong but the bonuses deplete if you get lots of provinces; however I believe you don't get this government type until you actually form Prussia. I don't believe that anything else changed significantly, but there is a DHE which must have been added at some point which will give Brandenburg a free PU over Ansbach under some circumstances, which is cool. I generally think that Brandenburg is the more enjoyable start since it lets you gently caress with the HRE more openly, and there's a few events and mission which help you expand a little more quickly compared to the TO, which is basically forced into warring with Poland or Austria early on.

Also the number of events which add development to Berlin is kind of funny, I think you end up with a good 15 or so free development over a campaign if you take the right decisions though most of them aren't until the 18th century.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 10, 2016

• Locked thread