Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

this thread got good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

well why not posted:

Really hoping for some news about the new Mario game that was in that demo. Was the Kart game in the promo video Mario Kart 8, or something new? If there's a new Zelda, new Mario and new Mario Kart out within the launch window, that's a hell of a lineup.

I haven't played Sunshine or Galaxy, actually, so I'm hoping for ports of those.

Rumor for launch is Mario from the Switch reveal video, Mario & Rayman Rabbids RPG, Just Dance, and ports for Splatoon and Skyrim.

Zelda is rumored for summer on both WiiU and Switch

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Re: Splatoon and Mario Kart: the rumor is that they aren't new games, but they aren't just ports, either. Splatoon will have more outfit options and a local multiplayer mode, and MK will get a battle mode and other stuff. It's unknown what they'll be called (MK8+? MK9? Who knows)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/09/super-mario-run-requires-a-persistent-internet-connection-to-play-no-offline-mode-due-to-piracy-concerns/

quote:

In an interview with Mashable, producer Shigeru Miyamoto explains that Super Mario Run will require a constant connection to a network for the game to be played, as the company is worried about software piracy.

:nallears:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is what happens when Nintendo games come out on non-Nintendo systems.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

youcallthatatwist posted:

Re: Splatoon and Mario Kart: the rumor is that they aren't new games, but they aren't just ports, either. Splatoon will have more outfit options and a local multiplayer mode, and MK will get a battle mode and other stuff. It's unknown what they'll be called (MK8+? MK9? Who knows)

So they're ports

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Goodbody posted:

What! Shock! Nobody would play a Nintendo game on a non Nintendo system! Especially if it was imitating an old Nintendo system! That's just terrifying! :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess they have a reason to fear piracy seeing how one of the launch games for the Wii was widely used for exploiting it and pirating games. Also the all the carts sold for the DS that allowed for piracy.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is the future and Nintendo games have finally come out on Steam.

During an interview someone asks why none of their games have workshop support.

"gently caress you that's why." is the only answer given.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good answer frankly

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's an oversimplification of what the mashable interview says. Piracy was one of their concerns, but also coins and things you unlock in single player, and your runs you perform there, interact with the games online modes Toad Rush and Kingdom Builder.

Piracy isn't even an issue on iOS but will be when they port to Android.

It's a poor design decision though given how many people would expect to be able to play this on the subway, or have their kids play on their wifi only iPad when they're away from their house.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Is there going to be a knitting addon

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

greatn posted:

people would expect to be able to play this on the subway

I live in a place where networks are still good underground, but it's a bummer if I have to use up my data to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I was actually thinking about buying this, oh well!

Wonder if that can be expected from the mobile Fire Emblem too?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Miitomo and Go are also online only games and Miitomo is hilariously slow to open for even ten seconds to get the daily coins and maybe check the shop if you've accrued another few thousand.

Hopefully their anti piracy measures are in the demo so people get a real user experience as to how slowly the app is going to open and load between levels doing its constant connection checks. Although there is evidence that the head of that project knows exactly what they're doing to maximize sales and profit. (You can already see people complaining on their ad tweets that the game is free with a microtransaction unlock instead of 10$ straight up in the store. If the game is priced as such in the store, you can use apple family sharing to share it to like 10 devices, if its free with a microtransaction you have to buy it on every apple id you want to use it concurrently on)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

It's a poor design decision though given how many people would expect to be able to play this on the subway

In Chicago it's the opposite problem. Great connection in the subway, absolute poo poo connection when you get out of it during rush hour in a congested mobile network.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Yep, my wife had one. It was...not great.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Astro7x posted:

In Chicago it's the opposite problem. Great connection in the subway, absolute poo poo connection when you get out of it during rush hour in a congested mobile network.

Verizon loves me and cares for me no matter where I'm at in this frozen heckhole

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm gonna pre-order the switch cause I want it as soon as possible

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm gonna pre-order the switch cause I want one before august

:yeah:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Well, gently caress.

Same thing ruined Sonic Runners. I was gonna buy this for my commute but NOT ANYMORE.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Eh, it'll probably be fine for places where internet mobile infrastructure works well. That is, if America has a functional internet infrastructure - which judging from all the complaints about Splatoon gameplay lags is far from optimal.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's not gonna be "fine" when I'm underground on the NY subway, which is the ENTIRE REASON I WANT A GAME LIKE IT.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not gonna be "fine" when I'm underground on the NY subway, which is the ENTIRE REASON I WANT A GAME LIKE IT.

There are plenty of games like it that are already available...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

There are plenty of games like it that are already available...

They all have F2P garbage or are just not fun. The thing that appealed about Mario Run is that I could just BUY it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

They all have F2P garbage or are just not fun. The thing that appealed about Mario Run is that I could just BUY it.

That's assuming that it will be fun...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All the NSMB games are fun it's just tiring to see that art used over and over

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mario is for when noobs come over to your house

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spellman posted:

Mario is for when noobs come over to your house
I'll make sure to invite you next time then

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hahahaha this is actually a super smart move because the piracy scene for iOS is fuckin' dope.

Though not as dope as the one on the 3DS.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Gamestop's website confirms that there's a pokemon game coming to the Switch.

Dunno if it's worth discussing but here it is none the less.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope the new Mario has crazy power-ups like Samurai Mario or Dog Mario, and that Pokemon for Switch has more stuff to make it an even more perfect game than Sun/Moon (which are already perfect Pokemon games tbh)

God drat the Switch is gonna own!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you think the time is right for Dog Mario, well, you just may be barking up the right tree. Have a safe weekend, folks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

and that Pokemon for Switch has more stuff to make it an even more perfect game than Sun/Moon (which are already perfect Pokemon games tbh)

SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Carefully analayizing the whole Jimmy Fallon Switch thing I don't believe he was actually playing the same game we were all seeing. First of all, when Reggie first revealed the thing on The Tonight Show, everyone's back was against the camera and you really couldn't see anything going on with hand movement with the controls and actual character movement with the game. Afterwards, Reggie hands off the Swtich to Jimmy and does some minor "adjustments" to the portable device before giving it to him. Seems highly suspicious given what we have heard recently of the Switch.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

a.lo posted:

Carefully analayizing the whole Jimmy Fallon Switch thing I don't believe he was actually playing the same game we were all seeing. First of all, when Reggie first revealed the thing on The Tonight Show, everyone's back was against the camera and you really couldn't see anything going on with hand movement with the controls and actual character movement with the game. Afterwards, Reggie hands off the Swtich to Jimmy and does some minor "adjustments" to the portable device before giving it to him. Seems highly suspicious given what we have heard recently of the Switch.

Not sure I follow. Can you elaborate? Maybe include some diagrams to illustrate what parts you're talking about?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DaveKap posted:

Hahahaha this is actually a super smart move because the piracy scene for iOS is fuckin' dope.

Though not as dope as the one on the 3DS.

lol, you think it's not going to be circumvented by people who pirate the game?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a.lo posted:

what would the point of faking it be when the final devkits just went out, lol

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

greatn posted:

Piracy isn't even an issue on iOS but will be when they port to Android.

Uh, no. It's more prevelant on Android, because you need to do a bit more on iOS, but it is there and rampart.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/01/09/monument-valley-piracy/

http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/02/piracy-is-a-big-problem-for-premium-iphone-and-ipad-games-much-more-than-you-realize/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean jailbreaking an iphone is like the easiest thing to do in the world

• Locked thread