Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

19 o'clock posted:

Had he been? What's the story there? I guess I saw one of his posts in the thread speaking to his renewed sense of purpose and joy, however if there is more backstory I'd be curious...

It definitely helped with his medicinal-purposes methamphetamine psychosis

e: beaten, and on the previous page. 14" is a good dude and has a place reserved in valhalla, godspeed to him and his truck.

What happened to that dude who made an increasingly potent series of flamethrowers?

Mousepractice has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Scudworth posted:

edit- this is far more crass sounding than it should be, watching AI scramble to get their boy the help he needed when he was in such a dark place was beautiful.

That makes me wonder, most sagas are horrible or cringey poo poo but what's some of the good things goons have pooled together to do?
I recall a story about "Donate to a tsunami relief fund to ban this poster" which just flew right off the chain and met its goal super fast. Dunno what the guy did to draw in the charity drive to ban him though. There was also the paypal debacle when Hurricane Katrina hit, did that ever get resolved and the funds went through properly?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think at one point goons pitched in to buy body armor from ARE TROOPS.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rough Lobster posted:

I think at one point goons pitched in to buy body armor from ARE TROOPS.

It was for, not from.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/some-soldiers-saved/

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

I Said No posted:

That makes me wonder, most sagas are horrible or cringey poo poo but what's some of the good things goons have pooled together to do?
I recall a story about "Donate to a tsunami relief fund to ban this poster" which just flew right off the chain and met its goal super fast. Dunno what the guy did to draw in the charity drive to ban him though. There was also the paypal debacle when Hurricane Katrina hit, did that ever get resolved and the funds went through properly?

He posted in GBS to ask for help with some homework or something similarly innocuous and got mod challenged. It just snowballed a little once someone offered to donate. Pretty sure he even donated himself at one point in the thread, but can't remember that much detail any more.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Scudworth posted:

He was supplementing his Adderall Rx with street meth because it was cheaper, started posting manic poo poo about how the emergency room doctors didn't believe there were bugs under his skin + posted a bunch of photo/video "evidence", and was eventually 5150'd by AI goons.

That was entertaining as hell, in a horror movie way. He kept posting photos of scabs and snot and pointing out the fractal patterns, but no matter how many times people reassured him "you don't have writhing fungus crawling out of your skin, that's a hallucination", he thought he was far too experienced to fall for such tricks. Finally AI convinced him to go back to the ER again and be honest w them, and he got better after a few days sleep but was pretty embarrassed.

It was a good look into how the "but I'm experienced enough to handle the drugs" mindset can get people killed/jailed, because if someone thinks they'd know if they're hallucinating, you'll never be able to convince them that they are. Also watching goons struggle against their innate belief that doctors are stupid and don't know poo poo about medicine/disease/drugs. It wasn't the worst case of that, he just happened to have a very illustrative experience and I'm glad it had a happy ending.

---

Re: goons & drugs, I once started to collate and put the best parts of the phenazepam thread in chronological order to try and make an "In Golden Waters"-style e-book but :effort:. It's something that needs to be done though, since the joose thread gets requested every 3 or 4 pages.

BigSuave posted:

Oh man well I" in the missle of my fam renion. I think thry'tre on to me. 200 mgs was definitelyenough, aloung with all the weed and itrous chargers my buddy gave me for no reasdon (I don't like nitrous) but holdy god.

It tool be 8+ houra to drive to protland fomr seattle and another 6 to bend from there so I don't know what the gently caress happened. BU tI got to go to dinner now. Need to keep it cool anad all.

I'll post more whn i have time ofr and sober or at the verty least get back and have time to refplect on it all but in the mean tim shi'ts pretty chil. Went river rafting today. My family tihnkgs the vailium my dentist gave me last wednesedtasy hasn't work off yet or something. Sugh.

I ot to go, know im not makeing sensel def don't feel as soer as I did initialy.
My guess is through ~100mg but who's to say?

Love to all, will update when I know what the gently caress.e

E: oh yeah and I got pulled over lie 1-2 rest stops south of olympia, thinking I was near portland and the Wa state patrol pulled me over beasd they thought I had been drinking. But I offered a breath test (no deirnking) but refused subjective tests. they geave me the breath test, looked st me sidewats (I told them my medication made me drowsy and it was like 3AM) and they actually let me go. Actuallly let. Me. Fuking .go.

good times

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Syd Midnight posted:

That was entertaining as hell, in a horror movie way. He kept posting photos of scabs and snot and pointing out the fractal patterns, but no matter how many times people reassured him "you don't have writhing fungus crawling out of your skin, that's a hallucination", he thought he was far too experienced to fall for such tricks. Finally AI convinced him to go back to the ER again and be honest w them, and he got better after a few days sleep but was pretty embarrassed.

It was a good look into how the "but I'm experienced enough to handle the drugs" mindset can get people killed/jailed, because if someone thinks they'd know if they're hallucinating, you'll never be able to convince them that they are. Also watching goons struggle against their innate belief that doctors are stupid and don't know poo poo about medicine/disease/drugs. It wasn't the worst case of that, he just happened to have a very illustrative experience and I'm glad it had a happy ending.

---

Re: goons & drugs, I once started to collate and put the best parts of the phenazepam thread in chronological order to try and make an "In Golden Waters"-style e-book but :effort:. It's something that needs to be done though, since the joose thread gets requested every 3 or 4 pages.

good times

Do you have the story's conclusion as well?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Say Nothing posted:

I keep hearing about how bad ADTRW is, but I don't see it. Either I'm looking at the wrong threads there or it's been cleaned up a lot.

People in the chat thread keep constantly getting probated for posting NWS young girl anime pics

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ibogaine posted:

The phenazepam one where a guy "eyeballed" a dose :catstare:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure anyone ever did that, but there was definitely confusion from some people that eyeballing meant ingesting through your eye socket rather than the actual meaning of 'estimating the right dose without a scale'.

Both equally dumb when it comes to that stuff, mind.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure anyone ever did that, but there was definitely confusion from some people that eyeballing meant ingesting through your eye socket rather than the actual meaning of 'estimating the right dose without a scale'.

Both equally dumb when it comes to that stuff, mind.

Yeah I'm pretty sure nobody put it into or on their actual eyeballs. There was confusion of that sort though, and it sounds funny and futuristic, like a lovely cyberpunk movie from the 90s where the only way to take a drug is to inject it into your tearducts, so the story sticks.

But mostly it was just goons looking at a tiny mound of powder and eyeballing it: "that's probably 1-2 milligrams" and then realizing 10 days later that a milligram isn't visible to the naked eye.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This seems like something you guys might be interested in. Found this while helping a friend archive a bunch of backups from old LAN party PC's and game servers and stuff:
Poor Lowtax's Almanac
A sort of lifehack/survival guide goon project from, I want to say, 10+ years ago. It's very "of it's time" in a mid 00s internet culture kind of way.
https://file.io/l7lyCe
Contains lots of terrible spelling and even worse advice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This seems like something you guys might be interested in. Found this while helping a friend archive a bunch of backups from old LAN party PC's and game servers and stuff:
Poor Lowtax's Almanac
A sort of lifehack/survival guide goon project from, I want to say, 10+ years ago. It's very "of it's time" in a mid 00s internet culture kind of way.
https://file.io/l7lyCe
Contains lots of terrible spelling and even worse advice.

Link is broken? :(

code:
{"success":false,"error":404,"message":"Not Found"}

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powaqoatse posted:

..like a lovely cyberpunk movie from the 90s where the only way to take a drug is to inject it into your tearducts, so the story sticks.

The closest thing I can think to, is the 'probably only seen it if you were a teen in Britain in the late 90s' where Rhys Ifans' character in Kevin and Perry Go Large would shoot vodka through his eye. During the end credit sequence you can see it eventually ends up falling out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The closest thing I can think to, is the 'probably only seen it if you were a teen in Britain in the late 90s' where Rhys Ifans' character in Kevin and Perry Go Large would shoot vodka through his eye. During the end credit sequence you can see it eventually ends up falling out.

The first episode of Cowboy Bebop involves a drug that you spray into your eye

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Powaqoatse posted:

Link is broken? :(

code:
{"success":false,"error":404,"message":"Not Found"}

Ugh. Try this one I guess? http://www.megafileupload.com/cgcG/PoorLowtaxesAlmanac.doc

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The "eyeballing" confusion comes from the GBS thread that collected the more ridiculous TCC stories before actual TCC posters arrived to defend their honor. Basically a lot of people in GBS took the term literally as among other insane stories it didn't sound impossible.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The joose thread was great. People hosed up on benzos have an incredibly distinctive typing style and will just throw strings of commas in the middle of wor,,,,,ds]]`

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

idk if my adblock is killing it, but it's a no go :shrug:

e: its not, i turned it off & it still just loops when i click slow download

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Dec 10, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EL BROMANCE posted:

welp you should watch more lovely scifi from the 90s my boy

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I dunno, I think TGD serves the same purpose as any other online non-doctor health forum, it's a place to talk about what the gently caress is wrong with you and possibly why the doctors can't figure out what it is, and commiserate with others on things to try etc. I used my thread in there to chronicle a year-long bout with mysterious chronic illness and it was nice to at least get sympathy from there :shobon: Nobody in there really pretends to be a doctor and the first advice is always "oh my god see a real doctor."

TCC is likely doing more harm than reduction at this point though.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Though if TCC wasn't around people would probably just go somewhere more questionable like bluelight.org or r/nootropics or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Though if TCC wasn't around people would probably just go somewhere more questionable like bluelight.org or r/nootropics or something.

but how are they more questionable though?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

You just made the "people are gonna do drugs anyway" argument but with drug forums, I'm impressed

IMO the only thing having TCC around is doing is legitimizing super dangerous drugs by placing them on the same level as low-risk stuff like weed and LSD and giving them threads where seemingly lucid and reasonable people post about how much fun they are.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Who me? I just wanna know what the differences between drug forums are.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Not you, the other guy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

right. because tcc is run by professional social scientists as a structured harm-reduction program

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not you, the other guy.

man you totally ruined my thing

i was like: "whats the difference between forums blah blah"
and then the other guy would be like "the moderation"
and i could be like "lsd my nigga"

and then we would all be like gently caress that guy

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ibogaine posted:

Unfortunately no, but it might be found in the infamous thread itself, which holy poo poo absolutely lives up to its legend. Be sure to check the rap sheets of permabanned posters... in the 10 pages I just read I counted 4 confirmed kills.

Jedit posted:

When I was just a little goon I asked the mod team, "What should I try? Should I rent hookers? Should I do blow?" This was their wise reply: Que sera sera, whatever will be will be. Just don't post in TCC. Que sera sera.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Lol at people complaining about TGD and TCC. It's as if these people have assumed their magnanimity genuine. Lol at them.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You just made the "people are gonna do drugs anyway" argument but with drug forums, I'm impressed

IMO the only thing having TCC around is doing is legitimizing super dangerous drugs by placing them on the same level as low-risk stuff like weed and LSD and giving them threads where seemingly lucid and reasonable people post about how much fun they are.

What I've seen of other drug forums in mock threads etc is way more horrific than anything I've seen quoted here but I'm definitely willing to admit I could be wrong since I really don't feel particularly strongly about this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TCC concentrates all the idiots in one place. Metaphorically without TCC it would be like every time you tried to have a conversation about something some idiot showed up and screamed "My niggah have you tried LSD!?". The people like that are still around, just concentrated in one place. If you want to laugh at them you can always go take a look.

Note: I was quoting HondaRider there before anyone goes and gets indignant.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

counterpoint: goons in one place

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powaqoatse posted:

welp you should watch more lovely scifi from the 90s my boy

I spent 20 years avoiding it, how dare you trick me into giving it a shot!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EL BROMANCE posted:

I spent 20 years avoiding it, how dare you trick me into giving it a shot!

Just sayin theres at least 2 sci fi movies where they put drugs in their tearducts.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

What I've seen of other drug forums in mock threads etc is way more horrific than anything I've seen quoted here but I'm definitely willing to admit I could be wrong since I really don't feel particularly strongly about this.

This may speak more of my naivete but the worst drug related posts I have seen are the ones by the guy with the yellow wario avatar. Just well written posts, obviously by an educated person with a good command of English, telling us about living in the streets and blowing up veins and muscles with tar and having a hot shower maybe once in a year and then "I love getting high."

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This may speak more of my naivete but the worst drug related posts I have seen are the ones by the guy with the yellow wario avatar. Just well written posts, obviously by an educated person with a good command of English, telling us about living in the streets and blowing up veins and muscles with tar and having a hot shower maybe once in a year and then "I love getting high."

I was more speaking to the prevalence of drugs that probably shouldn't be handled without a hazmat suit (like Carfentanil) or drugs that cause you to permanently lose your sense of touch after a few months of usage (like U-47700) on other corners of the internet but yes, the opiate and benzo threads here are unquestionably depressing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Powaqoatse posted:

Just sayin theres at least 2 sci fi movies where they put drugs in their tearducts.

Looper

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I Said No posted:

d o o b i e

tbh i hope we're getting close to the point where enough time has passed that doobie stops being a stupid meme and becomes just another hilarious episode of sa history, which it really was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Forcing reddit to shut down their worst subreddits was pretty good