Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It doesn't matter, because any company with those clauses will just accuse you of damaging it anyway, and you'd spend more money in the court systems trying to get them to honor it than you would just getting a new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
lmao

the courts. What's it like living constantly afraid of written rules?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The latest iOS exploit is making the news. Should I update?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

The latest iOS exploit is making the news. Should I update?

There's a possibility of someone making a tweak for 9.3.3 to patch the security hole that 9.3.5 patches up. Could just wait a few days/weeks and see what pops up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
JB or not; I'm glad these exploits are coming out before IOS10.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

~Coxy posted:

JB or not; I'm glad these exploits are coming out before IOS10.

? Why?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

So that we don't have a sophie's choice of upgrading to IOS10 or remaining vulnerable.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Actually, I am so sorry. I thought 'latest exploit' meant 'latest way to jailbreak 9.3.3'

WHOOPS

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there a jailbreak way to install apps that have been removed from the App Store? I'd like to play the full versions of Sword & Poker, but they got removed when Konami bought the license, though the demo versions are still there with broken IAP pointing to the full versions.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
If you have the .ipa backed up on your PC you can side load it using the PC version of Cydia Impactor.

Or you can see if it's still in the AppCake store (a jailbreak thing).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I haven't jailbroken in over five years so forgive me for asking this:

My iPhone 5S is on version 8.3. What are my options for upgrading to iOS 9 and jailbreaking? I hear there's a signing window that might have already closed.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
It's been closed. You can only update to 9.3.5. The newest firmware is NOT jailbreakable.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've got an ipod touch 4 on ios 6.whatever the last version it got was, already jailbroken. Is there any cydia package or combination thereof that will let me access it remotely via wifi to handle the music library? It lives in my car as the music device feeding the stereo, my wifi reaches it where I park, and I want to not have to take it out and bring it in to add new albums to it when I get them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Javid posted:

I've got an ipod touch 4 on ios 6.whatever the last version it got was, already jailbroken. Is there any cydia package or combination thereof that will let me access it remotely via wifi to handle the music library? It lives in my car as the music device feeding the stereo, my wifi reaches it where I park, and I want to not have to take it out and bring it in to add new albums to it when I get them.

iTunes does wifi sync. I don't remember which iOS version got that first.

Just add things to a synced playlist then initiate a wifi sync when you pull into the garage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so my old phone vanished under subway tracks. my new iphone 6s+ was on 9.1 thank Christ, however I'm now in the unenviable position of reinstalling all my tweaks.

I recall there being a tweak that set it so you could make your volume up/down appear not just on the status bar, but also on the top or middle edges of the side of the screen.

I also remember you could make it rainbow and that was dope af.

I'm pretty sure it's not StatusVolume or StatusHUD unless I'm missing something especially obvious.

e: it was minimal hud.

and man an unteathered jailbreak is way more convenient.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 18, 2016

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
In case anyone's interested/desperate for a jailbreak, I put up my spare 5S 64GB still on 9.3.3 in SA-Mart.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

and man an unteathered jailbreak is way more convenient.

I've grown to like the current semi-tethered one (or semi-untethered, whichever it's called). Getting it on may be a pain, especially without the Safari install method anymore, but in my experience, it's been very stable. And the several times I have had to reboot for whatever reason, rejailbreaking was just a matter of runnng the app, locking the screen, and waiting a few seconds.

Though when the certificate expires within a year, I suppose I'll be less thrilled with it. Hopefully iOS 10 will have its own jailbreak by then anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Has anyone seen a tweak to fix the recent plague of apps ducking external audio?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Is there anything I can do to jailbreak a 4s running 7.0.4? There seems to be a tool call evasi0n7 but it doesn't work as I get "cannot retrieve packages from internet" errors.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 17, 2016

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Is there anything I can do to jailbreak a 4s running 7.0.4? There seems to be a tool call evasi0n7 but it doesn't work as I get "cannot retrieve packages from internet" errors.

did you download the tool from http://evasi0n.com/? The other issue is if you had updated to 7.0.4 via OTA update instead of through iTunes can cause errors with the evasi0n tool.

the other place to ask is the helpful Reddit Legacy Jailbreak section. Otherwise, I have no idea, especially since you can only update a 4s to 9.3.5 which does not have a jailbreak.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Poala Bear posted:

did you download the tool from http://evasi0n.com/? The other issue is if you had updated to 7.0.4 via OTA update instead of through iTunes can cause errors with the evasi0n tool.

the other place to ask is the helpful Reddit Legacy Jailbreak section. Otherwise, I have no idea, especially since you can only update a 4s to 9.3.5 which does not have a jailbreak.

All the links on that site are dead. But yeah, some guy on reddit modified the thing and had it direct to his personal server so it's all good now.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I just got a 7+ since I finally lost my old jailbroken 6. Is there no reason left to jailbreak anymore? Is it possible to jailbreak a 7+ yet? I sort of still want intelliscreen at least.

edit: and Snapchat Phantom

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
9.3.3 is the latest firmware that can be jailbroken.

It's as worth it as you want it to be. There is no timeline what so ever for a jailbreak for iOS 10. If it happens, it happens. Pangu and Taig (both Chinese groups) are the only jailbreak teams to trust. Don't download anything else.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Rumor mill said 10 jailbreak was close... Like two minor revisions ago. It'll happen when it happens I guess.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

JiUC posted:

I just got a 7+ since I finally lost my old jailbroken 6. Is there no reason left to jailbreak anymore? Is it possible to jailbreak a 7+ yet? I sort of still want intelliscreen at least.

edit: and Snapchat Phantom

The main reason I jailbroke my 6 when I got it was for VirtualHome because i hate clicking the home button all the time

If I can lock/unlock/task switch by just touching the sensor i'd probably upgrade

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just got an iPad Pro 12.9", luckily it came with 9.3.2. I kept it on that version and jailbroke. I used Pangu but I am kind of confused by the guide. What exactly do I have to do if I reboot the iPad? Just click on the Pangu app again? Or do I need to connect it to a PC every time it reboots or powers down?

Also there is something else I was wondering. I have a ton of PDFs I am going to read on this thing. I am pretty stupid with Apple stuff. Since it is jailbroken, can I dump a bunch of the PDFs onto the iPad and open the PDFs with different programs? I kinda hate that if say, I use Comic Zeal, all my PDFs are "tied" to that one PDF viewer and if I uninstall it all my PDFs get deleted :psyduck:

Is there a way to just "store" these PDFs on the iPad and open them up in whatever PDF-viewer I feel like? If so, where exactly would put them on the iPad?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just got an iPad Pro 12.9", luckily it came with 9.3.2. I kept it on that version and jailbroke. I used Pangu but I am kind of confused by the guide. What exactly do I have to do if I reboot the iPad? Just click on the Pangu app again? Or do I need to connect it to a PC every time it reboots or powers down?

1. You reboot your iPad. You are not JB.
2. Open Pangu app.
3. Click the button.
4. Press the power button to lock your iPad.
5. Get notification a few seconds later.
6. Swipe notification and you should be JB.

Also there is something else I was wondering. I have a ton of PDFs I am going to read on this thing. I am pretty stupid with Apple stuff. Since it is jailbroken, can I dump a bunch of the PDFs onto the iPad and open the PDFs with different programs? I kinda hate that if say, I use Comic Zeal, all my PDFs are "tied" to that one PDF viewer and if I uninstall it all my PDFs get deleted :psyduck:

Is there a way to just "store" these PDFs on the iPad and open them up in whatever PDF-viewer I feel like? If so, where exactly would put them on the iPad?

Better off asking this in the main thread, probably.

You can put them on your iCloud Drive but obviously that only has 5GB space (for free) and syncs to every device (which you probably don't want.)
Apart from that I think they just have to be silo'ed into an app.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

1. You reboot your iPad. You are not JB.
2. Open Pangu app.
3. Click the button.
4. Press the power button to lock your iPad.
5. Get notification a few seconds later.
6. Swipe notification and you should be JB.

Oh wow, that's great! I barely consider that tethered. If I can do it from the iPad itself without an internet connection I drat near consider that untethered. :)

Thanks!

~Coxy posted:

Better off asking this in the main thread, probably.

You can put them on your iCloud Drive but obviously that only has 5GB space (for free) and syncs to every device (which you probably don't want.)
Apart from that I think they just have to be silo'ed into an app.

I am thinking there's no way without a jailbreak (since I am saving it to the iPad and not an "app") but I will see if I can figure something out.

It is still very jarring to me that someone can email me an attachment and I can't "save" it to an iOS device. Maybe I am just getting old.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Oh wow, that's great! I barely consider that tethered. If I can do it from the iPad itself without an internet connection I drat near consider that untethered. :)

Thanks!

I am thinking there's no way without a jailbreak (since I am saving it to the iPad and not an "app") but I will see if I can figure something out.

It is still very jarring to me that someone can email me an attachment and I can't "save" it to an iOS device. Maybe I am just getting old.

Just pay a few bucks for Goodreader. It's the closest thing to a file manager within the iOS paradigm.

You can open and save attachments to it, read PDFs and other docs with plenty of view options, annotate, and connect to FTP, network shares or other apps.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

eddiewalker posted:

Just pay a few bucks for Goodreader. It's the closest thing to a file manager within the iOS paradigm.

You can open and save attachments to it, read PDFs and other docs with plenty of view options, annotate, and connect to FTP, network shares or other apps.

OK I just bought it, thanks! Unfortunately it does not seem to have CBR support, though. (I used to hoard old video game magazines and they take up so much space so I got rid of them and my plan was to use the iPad Pro for all of that instead; unfortunately they are all in CBR format and not PDF).

I will keep messing with this though. Thank you again!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

OK I just bought it, thanks! Unfortunately it does not seem to have CBR support, though. (I used to hoard old video game magazines and they take up so much space so I got rid of them and my plan was to use the iPad Pro for all of that instead; unfortunately they are all in CBR format and not PDF).

I will keep messing with this though. Thank you again!

There's software to convert CBR files to PDF.

Or if you have Adobe Acrobat and a lot of free time... CBR is just an RAR file. You can rename it with the RAR file extension on your computer, unarchive it, and you'll see (most likely) a collection of JPEGs. You can create a PDF from the JPEGs and just import that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

There's software to convert CBR files to PDF.

Or if you have Adobe Acrobat and a lot of free time... CBR is just an RAR file. You can rename it with the RAR file extension on your computer, unarchive it, and you'll see (most likely) a collection of JPEGs. You can create a PDF from the JPEGs and just import that.

Actually I did not know there was CBR to PDF software. If it does not diminish image quality at all, I think I will give that a shot. Thanks for the info!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's too bad I'm late to save you from ios thread bandwagons. The correct answer was iFile.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
iFile isn't going to open or convert CBR files. Uncle at Nintendo would still have to convert them. And Goodreader is a good buy regardless.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zigmidge posted:

It's too bad I'm late to save you from ios thread bandwagons. The correct answer was iFile.

Would this allow me to save files to a "folder" on the iPad, and then open them in whatever program I want?

Also good news is there is now a jailbreak method for when Pangu expires next year: https://jbme.qwertyoruiop.com/

I believe there's a way to save it locally on your iPhone or iPad but I'm not sure how. Anyway, great news for those of us wondering what we were going to do when Pangu expired.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Would this allow me to save files to a "folder" on the iPad, and then open them in whatever program I want?

iFile allows you navigate your iPhone and create new folders, as well as give you some options on how to open a selected file.

edit: Honestly, I consider it one of the reasons to keep jailbreaking... iFile should just be standard with even non-jailbroken iDevices in my opinion.

Also good news is there is now a jailbreak method for when Pangu expires next year: https://jbme.qwertyoruiop.com/

Does this just require you to visit the page with your iPhone or iPad, and then click for it to install? And can you use it now or do you have to wait till the current certificate expires?

edit: More info on the Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz Also looks like there's a patch for the Pegasus vulnerability on their Cydia repo.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 8, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

ibntumart posted:

iFile isn't going to open or convert CBR files. Uncle at Nintendo would still have to convert them. And Goodreader is a good buy regardless.

The issue was app agnostic file management.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the iFile recommendation. It was exactly what I was looking for!

ibntumart posted:

iFile allows you navigate your iPhone and create new folders, as well as give you some options on how to open a selected file.

edit: Honestly, I consider it one of the reasons to keep jailbreaking... iFile should just be standard with even non-jailbroken iDevices in my opinion.

Does this just require you to visit the page with your iPhone or iPad, and then click for it to install? And can you use it now or do you have to wait till the current certificate expires?

To test it out, I rebooted my iPad Pro and instead of running the Pangu app, I loaded the webpage (without even having a wifi connection because I saved it to my home screen) and it worked!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I believe there's a way to save it locally on your iPhone or iPad but I'm not sure how. Anyway, great news for those of us wondering what we were going to do when Pangu expired.

Brilliant, cheers. My pangu stopped working a couple of days ago for some reason (I'm sure I had a year on the cert?) so this has fixed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Thanks for the iFile recommendation. It was exactly what I was looking for!

To test it out, I rebooted my iPad Pro and instead of running the Pangu app, I loaded the webpage (without even having a wifi connection because I saved it to my home screen) and it worked!

Well, now I'm wondering if I should use this now instead of hoping it's around and usable in a few months. Have you tried re-rebooting and re-running to make sure it's just as easy to re-jailbreak as before?

• Locked thread