Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

I feel like he's still trumped by the leper who is a one shotting murder machine in every dungeon. Don't get me wrong, i still like the crusader, but i generally really prefer a Leper or MaA in terms of 'tanky' characters. Leper's the only guy that can reliably kill two of the little poo poo enemies in one go. (Ie. 2x spiders, maggots etc).

Offhand I can find uses for every character except the Jester. I still cannot stand that guy.

Get the Leper hopped up on some sweet herbal swine juice and go cut everything in half with Hew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Night10194 posted:

Get the Leper hopped up on some sweet herbal swine juice and go cut everything in half with Hew.

I remember finding in the Ruins a set of armour and then an altar when I had holy water with a Leper. Good times. Coincidentally, was also the run where I beat the Shambler.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Crusader is trumped by the Leper in one specific role. If the rest of your party has other roles wrapped up and the only thing you want your front row guy to do is crush the front two enemy rows then yeah, bring a Leper.

Crusader's advantage is he's much more flexible. Holy Lance makes him practically shuffleproof, and he's really good in long dungeons since when battles are neatly wrapped up he can spend his turn removing stress or healing. His heal isn't huge, but he can pop people off death's door and his heal synergizes really well with the Arbalest's buff. Crusader and Arbalest work great for smashing the front and back rows, and with those two you can leave the vestals and occultists at home and just bring things like graverobbers for more damage or plague doctors for more control. He works really well with position dancing teams, he's unfazed by pushes and pulls, his HP are really high so you get more flexibility in when you have to heal him, he basically never has a wasted turn.

I agree his self-mark is a crappy skill, but he has so many other good skills it's not like he has a lack of options for what to put in his skill slots. It's something I wish you could say about the Vestal, there's basically only two ways to build a vestal; back-row healbot and position 2 profane scroll.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 36: A Broken Clock. Also, Siren fight I guess.

Today is a lesson on why you need to bring 4x Holy Water to the Siren Fight: because you don't want to spend 20 minutes on a slow drag of an encounter. Also I blow Iron Chitlin's mind with how absolutely correct I am about things.

Also I would like to make a request of someone in the thread to compile all the info requests that I've been procrastinating on. I know so far I need to cover the other two biomes, difficulty level changes and edit some of the bad info on classes in the 2nd post.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 9, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From what I've seen, the controller scheme on the PS4 version seems to work pretty well; in some instances you can do certain things quicker such as looting, once you know what buttons to press at least. Impressive considering how the game was designed solely with keyboard and mouse in mind. It reminds me vaguely of playing the PSP port of Exult (Ultima VII emulator) which used pretty much every button combination to make up for the lack of a keyboard and mouse.

e: Also, regarding the Crimson Court DLC, I don't see why it couldn't be both. Mosquito creatures with the stylings of vampires.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 9, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lol, a possessed vestal will still increase torch light when she uses illumination, benefiting the player. (25mins in)

It makes a certain amount of sense, but given I've internalised that more torchlight == benefits player, I'd have assumed that the devs would have inverted it.

Also guard will fail when you try to guard someone who's already guarded, and when you try to guard someone who is guarding someone else (so no houndmaster protecting a man-at-arms protecting a hellion who's protecting an antiquarian). What, you haven't tried this?!

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 10, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
As a born and raised New Englander, I really want to hear Highwang's Boston accent now

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Controller bonus update when you have to grind some stuff out.

it's good to see the Siren fight in all its 'glory'.

Highwang will find Chitlin, go to his house. Strangle him. and Eat him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

double nine posted:

Lol, a possessed vestal will still increase torch light when she uses illumination, benefiting the player. (25mins in)

It makes a certain amount of sense, but given I've internalised that more torchlight == benefits player, I'd have assumed that the devs would have inverted it.
They use the same ability, so why would they change the effect just because that vestal's charmed? As noted, being charmed is already horribly unfair in terms of action economy.

Also the controls are really simple so there's no reason a controller wouldn't work. Direction buttons, a confirm, a decline. That's pretty much the basis of the entire control scheme.

I mean, one other thing Highwang does that no one has really commented on is that he clicks on every action before clicking on the enemy. Actions are sticky, they persist from round to round. Also you can use the number keys (1-5) to highlight abilities/movement and just click on the target.
To be fair this usually gives him time to think on doing things better Highwang-ier. :shobon:

Edit: Also this is about how my most recent run with the Siren went. And I did bring Holy Water. Just because it buffs debuff resistance doesn't mean that you won't get charmed :suicide:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 10, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What would be good third bosses for each of the dungeons? Aside from mechanics what would they bring thematically to their areas? What failing of the Ancestor would they represent?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Veloxyll posted:

Highwang will find Chitlin, go to his house. Strangle him. and Eat him.

Someday highwang will reach critical mass of food and implode into a supermassive black hole that consumes the solar system. Not even Stephen Hawking can save us.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Wait. Wait.

Did I hear Highwang say that the game before E.V.O. got translated? The game where Lucifer looks like they're played by vampire Marilyn Monroe?

Welp, guess I'd better go look for that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
May have missed in the video, but does the siren have high stun resist?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It just kind of seems like Stress is becoming a bigger issue than damage. To the point where Jesters are probably mandatory since no one else has the level of Stress reduction they have.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
jester is one way to reduce stress but theres even a better way: not getting stressed at all through murder and stunning the entire enemy team.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Iretep posted:

jester is one way to reduce stress but theres even a better way: not getting stressed at all through murder and stunning the entire enemy team.

This. A thousand times this. I've been shouting at the screen for Pea to just stab things already, and my namesake actually has finale and dirk stab equipped, so there's really no excuse there.

At least he's learned that Arbalests are mostly for shooting things and not for bandaging every single turn.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jenner posted:

It just kind of seems like Stress is becoming a bigger issue than damage. To the point where Jesters are probably mandatory since no one else has the level of Stress reduction they have.

The Houndmaster's stress heal is way better at high levels since it scales way better. Healing the entire party for 7 is much better than healing a single person for 15, even if ti has a 1/3 chance to fail per person.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Wait. Wait.

Did I hear Highwang say that the game before E.V.O. got translated? The game where Lucifer looks like they're played by vampire Marilyn Monroe?

Welp, guess I'd better go look for that.

https://clips.twitch.tv/highwang/BetterOxCmonBruh

I might start uploading the streams, but this was peak wtf.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Regarding status effects wearing off twice as fast on bosses, Red Hook could just double the duration of effects when used on bosses. That would get around any hardcoded engine limits.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
The octopuncher was guarding the vestal when she got released. Did the buff clear, or was he in danger of punching himself?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Reinbach posted:

The octopuncher was guarding the vestal when she got released. Did the buff clear, or was he in danger of punching himself?

That would be AMAZING if that was the case. An enemy straight up whacking themselves in the face.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Pretty sure that debuffs wearing off per action instead of per round on bosses is 100% intentional. When you're able to bring 4-to-1 odds against an enemy, it's super easy to shut it down entirely, especially since there's no consumable resource limit on how often you can throw out debuffs. Unless you address this, then crowd control abilities that are well balanced for normal mob combat turn boss fights into boring chumpfests.

There's two basic ways to deal with this, either reduce the effectiveness of debuffs on bosses, or balance the bosses to require these abilities (i.e. the Atlus method). As far as debuffing goes, it's either boosting the boss's resistances, or reducing the power of the debuffs. Just boosting resistances across the board is pretty dull, reducing the fight to a mere slugfest. By cutting the duration, though, debuffs can still mitigate the threat of bosses without completely neutering them.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Genocyber posted:

The Houndmaster's stress heal is way better at high levels since it scales way better. Healing the entire party for 7 is much better than healing a single person for 15, even if ti has a 1/3 chance to fail per person.

Yea, this skill gets looked over a bunch. Bring a Houndmaster with this and put the skill on your list when you need it and you have a more offensive based character than the Jester when you don't.

Granted, sometimes you need a stress heal on a specific person right away and this is random, but liberal use of the skill can take care of that problem before it gets to be an issue.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Can we still get an ingame dumbass named after us? Because if so, I want in (as a Houndmaster if possible).

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I started playing this again thanks to this thread. Im at a similar point in time too right now and just had a squad wipe on the second prophet fight. I lost all my rare +% damage trinkets :negative:
On the other hand i got two achievements at the same time :woop:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Genocyber posted:

not sure I agree. Unreliability is a problem in this game, considering how RNG centered it is. Sometimes you really need to destress a specific target, and then Cry Havoc will probably disappoint you.

Another point is that if you use the Jester's stress heal from the beginning you're likely to only have one target that you really need to destress at any point in time.

And another point is that the houndmaster has much better skills to put in its place :v:

Also, the "shorter" duration on status effects is most likely intended. While it is a negative thing when using debuffs, it is a positive thing when using bleed or blight; the enemy gets hit by the DoT twice every round. Status effects last x rounds, and certain enemies get multiple rounds every turn.

If debuffs lasted their stated amount of rounds and not an amount of actions, then bosses like the Hag, Siren or Drowned Crew would barely be able to do anything if you stunned them, since in their free action they'd just use their gimmick skill(into the pot, heave ho, siren song) and then be immediately put into stun again, rarely if ever being able to use any other thing in their arsenal.

Halser fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 11, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, so I was telling about how I managed to get Dismas with Eldritch slayer and Eldritch hater, yeah?

Coupled with his own head + an Eldritch slayer ring, I was getting 60+ points of damage using point-blank shot.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Xarn posted:

Can we still get an ingame dumbass named after us? Because if so, I want in (as a Houndmaster if possible).

If we can still get in on this, throw my name in for either a grave robber or a highwayman.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I'd want in as a Man-At-Arms, but they got hit so hard with the nerf bat that Wang avoids them like he avoids dark runs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DGM_2 posted:

Regarding status effects wearing off twice as fast on bosses, Red Hook could just double the duration of effects when used on bosses. That would get around any hardcoded engine limits.

That would make blight/bleed too strong. I think at most you can double debuff durations, even that would still be strong (As it is an effective 6 action v 3 action effect). I don't think the bosses are so hard that you really need to do that, they are a challenge but not an insurmountable one.

As always the key is just being prepared. It's not like they sneak up on you (although I did have the brigand boss 'surprise' my group somehow?)

I've recently taken a liking to using a highwayman with duelist advance and melee focused trinkets and using the antiquarian to force him into guard, holy cow it's nice. They can do a good amount of damage like that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Btw, what is the max no. of locked traits one can put on a person? I thought it was 4, but I've only managed to get 3.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
unsuprisingly its 3.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

OK, so I was telling about how I managed to get Dismas with Eldritch slayer and Eldritch hater, yeah?

Coupled with his own head + an Eldritch slayer ring, I was getting 60+ points of damage using point-blank shot.

I am starting to see how this ties into some Leper tactics, boy howdy :stare:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 37: Okay fine, Finale is awesome.
Alternate title: Wiping your rear end with damage.

Training up rookies this mission, we both realize how good the Jester has it now. Mainly because it was so heinously bad that we just never used them back in the day and the updates caught us by surprise.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 13, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aaaand that's why I tend to prioritize the Nomad Wagon for upgrades. Maxed out you'll often get 2+ orange trinkets for ~12k a pop, so combine that with the town event and they'd be only 6k a piece. Very affordable way of getting good trinkets if the RNG has not been kind to you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Jester's Harvest got me through the Flesh pretty much by itself.
AoE and a Dot Skill on a Jester. Combat Jester's are great :smuggo:

I have not killed my first Shambler ever since it ended my 3 Antiquarian 1 Leper Dark Run. By killing two Antiquarians.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can't blame Bone Arbalest's for their stats when your own Arbalest is the same way.

Also you're especially bad about being wrong about Finale since a few people in this thread have specifically mentioned using it to target rank 3 dudes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Also you're especially bad about being wrong about Finale since a few people in this thread have specifically mentioned using it to target rank 3 dudes.

I remember it because people in this very thread were correcting me about my wrong opinion that the Jester was poo poo by pointing out, ages ago 'It's a 150% damage skill that can hit 3 rows it's loving great now unlike early access'.

That was months ago!

E: Also, The Bard in Bard's Tale is a great Bard in a videogame. :colbert:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 13, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The best Bard in a videogame is Deekin Scalesinger, the kobold companion from Neverwinter Night's expansions. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
I've been catching up on this one, and Highwang, while normally I'm the last guy to backseat somebody else's game, your last Siren run was killing me. You had two guys with Riposte, a boss who does all AoE moves and one debuff, and then kept complaining about how long the fight was. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, just wanted to say it's still entertaining (for good or ill :v: ), I'm glad you stopped the weird mod, and I hope things pick up for you on the employment and holidays front. :)

Yapping Eevee posted:

The best Bard in a videogame is Deekin Scalesinger, the kobold companion from Neverwinter Night's expansions. Obviously.

Yeah, he's pretty great and gets points for actually being a bard by trade. If you count "music magic" you have a lot of JRPG characters (Ar Tonelico, obviously, but Tear in Tales of the Abyss comes to mind too) and "tricksters with perform skills" adds people like Shantae. Hmm... the Bard job in FF5 was fun, wasn't that the one with the song that inflicted Stop on all enemies? Any time you run into bards breaking the game in a game, remember they were actually overpowered in 1st and 2nd AD&D, it wasn't until 3rd standardized everything that they become more "master of none."

• Locked thread