Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
2 units of hawk riders let me route a full bretonian stack when they attacked one of my outposts. One unit distracted their army, leading them a merry trail all across the map while the other picked off the 5(!) trebuchets the bastards brought with them. After that, I used the hawk riders to put the now extremly tired bretonian army into position for the rest of my troops to ambush, squeaking out a win.

The retreating (thoroughly mauled) stack of bretonians fled right into an ambush I set with Durthu. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Getting a lord with the +12% range for the whole army makes for incredible archer-heavy armies. Glade Guard and Waywatchers with 180 range? Yes please.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Archonex posted:

Here's my question: I know that beating the campaign with Orion gives The Red Duke and Mousillon as an unlockable faction but does beating it with Durthu give something different? Leaks prior to the release of the DLC suggested it did.

Wait really? and this is from the mini campaign?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Wait really? and this is from the mini campaign?

It's only for custom battles, it doesn't unlock them for the GC.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Corrode posted:

It's only for custom battles, it doesn't unlock them for the GC.

Ah that's a bummer, but still kind of cool.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Seem to be having trouble getting Orion to attack anything with his ranged attack. Anyone else encounter this?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's really lame to see durthu tearing across the map and his army is mostly just normal elves.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I finally got a pc that can play this game, and hot diggity dog is there a lot of loving DLC. Is any of it worth it in any appreciable way? Did Brettonia ever come out as a playable faction?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My games vs Chickenwing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnmfh55ueemu6c9/Nano%20vs%20Chickenwing.zip?dl=0

Game 1: Greenskins (nano) vs. Empire(Chicken) Chicken takes a luminark, a hellstorm, and the silver bullets with crossbows but not enough infantry to defend them. Boar boyz get in the back and biguns chop down the swordsmen in front. I take
Game 2: Dwarfs(Chicken) vs. Chaos (nano) 4 thunderers and 2 organ guns. Uh, yeah, a gorebeast chariot in the back lines runs those all down and Ungrim is not very good at slaying the Suneater.
Game 3: Empire (nano) vs. Beastmen (chicken) Chicken starts to get a better feel for army composition and pulls a slick move to get some warhounds into my ranged line. Doesn't have an answer for my demigryphs though, sadly for him. A much closer game, but I still pull through.

Overall:3-0 me

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Firstborn posted:

I finally got a pc that can play this game, and hot diggity dog is there a lot of loving DLC. Is any of it worth it in any appreciable way? Did Brettonia ever come out as a playable faction?

Yes. No, but it will probably be out early next year.

Seriously all the DLC is worthwhile.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Beastmen and Wood Elves only make them playable by the player. If you don't buy them you'll still be able to face them. Both are....fairly complex/very specific, so I'd hold off on buying them until you've played a bit and can decide if you want to try them. Base game has more then enough content without them.

Grim and Grave and King and Warlord are basically unit packs for two of the races in game. Grim and Grave for Empire/VC, King and Warlord for Orcs/Dwarfs. Grim and Grave is -fun- if you prefer to play Empire/VC since it adds a few new units, but nothing it adds is really necessary/worth $8 I'd say.

King and Warlord on the other hand is incredible. It adds units the Orcs actually needed, namely low level armor piercing units. Most importantly though, it adds two full new campaigns in the form of Skarsnik/Belegars push to Karak Eight Peaks. Both are challenge campaigns with very specific rulesets ( Skarsnik can only recruit goblins until Eight Peaks, Belegar has to pay his troops double/triple because he's a nobody until he retakes Eight Peaks. ).

I'd say all of it is skippable honestly, but if you plan on grabbing one, grab King and the Warlord.

Brettonia is coming for free in February.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

Get "Grim and the Grave|" and "King and the Warlord" definitely.

Beyond that, just buy race packs if you feel like playing as that race. Be aware that Chaos is the undisputed worst DLC though and they have a miserable campaign

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Rookersh posted:

( Skarsnik can only recruit goblins until Eight Peaks, Belegar has to pay his troops double/triple because he's a nobody until he retakes Eight Peaks. ).

Hah, is that really the fluff reason for the Belegar upkeep? I like it - must have missed wherever they tell you in-game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr Gentleman posted:

Hah, is that really the fluff reason for the Belegar upkeep? I like it - must have missed wherever they tell you in-game.

I mean, in the lore Belegar is kind of a washed up failure. He's lead several expeditions to try and retake Eight Peaks and basically has nothing to show for it. It makes sense in the terms of the game that any warrior who would go under his banner would demand higher pay to march in a new doomed expedition.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

SickZip posted:

Be aware that Chaos is the undisputed worst DLC though and they have a miserable campaign

*Be aware that Chaos is the undisputed worst DLC/campaign even among the players who got it for free by buying the game in the first month (probably much of this thread).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Gentleman posted:

Yup! It's the description if you go into the more detail tab on objectives? I think.

Basically says Belegar is a washed up nobody that leads lovely death expeditions, so people demand higher wages.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really like the Wood Elf quest battles, they are pretty neat if you go into them unspoiled.

all those chaos spawns showing up in orions second one :lol:

Also the tricksters masque office allows you to trade with non-elves, saw some people being confused by that. The whole office system still suffers from the fact that you are extremely unlikely to be able to fill them until the end of the game, particularly since some of your lords can't hold offices.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Holy poo poo. I was playing around with leveling up Glade Lord's to 30 to see what they could do. You can get one that does 750 missile damage with 140 or 160 range (I forget which) on a flying eagle with 130 speed. That's like being able to cast an overcast fireball every few seconds and nobody can catch you to stop you doing it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea chaos is the most underwhelming dlc, their units have no real flavor to them, they're all big armor men and that's it with the exception of the units the Beastmen also have and they play like a lamer version of the vampire counts.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Also watch out for the dwarfs confederating your starting buddy and stealing all your amber :(

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Tardcore posted:

Yea chaos is the most underwhelming dlc, their units have no real flavor to them, they're all big armor men and that's it with the exception of the units the Beastmen also have and they play like a lamer version of the vampire counts.

I don't know, Forsaken and Dragon Ogres are pretty good and cool units.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Kainser posted:

I really like the Wood Elf quest battles, they are pretty neat if you go into them unspoiled.

Also the tricksters masque office allows you to trade with non-elves, saw some people being confused by that. The whole office system still suffers from the fact that you are extremely unlikely to be able to fill them until the end of the game, particularly since some of your lords can't hold offices.

Not necessarily. If you can build the appropriate buildings, you can recruit a lord, put them in office (none of the ones I've seen have level requirements like the Empire offices) and disband them, and they'll still be in the office, so, for example, you'll still be able to trade with other factions, but you won't get whatever bonuses that office directly provides.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dezztroy posted:

I don't know, Forsaken and Dragon Ogres are pretty good and cool units.

Ok I forgot about dragon ogres, they are pretty cool

edit: poo poo they have Sigvald too, ok Chaos are alright

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chaos is real and strong and my friend and Kholek Suneater is the best legendary lord.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sigvald is the only LL with a real personality imo.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish the Chaos campaign was good because playing as Kholek and just stomping on everything you see is a good feeling.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Some of us like the Chaos campaign. Though I agree that it's best left till you already have played everything else. Partly because of all the scrubs who still haven't figured out how to play it. ;)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kainser posted:

Sigvald is the only LL with a real personality imo.

I actually really like Orion's diplomacy screen yelling about Traitors. He just feels like a grumpy old grandad and it's funny to me.

Actually... is it possible to mod diplomacy screen lines? I want to make a mod for dwarfs talking to elves.

"Listen here you knife eared piece of poo poo"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ah that's a bummer, but still kind of cool.

There's already mods for Mousillon that are full graphical makeovers with new mechanics. This just ensures that it'll end up getting more attention.

Actually, turns out that the mod to add it into the GC is already out.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 9, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kainser posted:

I had all the offices filled in my Orion campaign by turn 75. It's honestly not that hard to do!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

John Charity Spring posted:

I had all the offices filled in my Orion campaign by turn 75. It's honestly not that hard to do!

Yeah, basically just use the one type of lord that can hold office for your subfaction and you can make it work. There's no level requirement like Empire offices so if you have a post you want to fill for the factionwide benefits you can just recruit a lord for a turn, appoint them, then dismiss them. They will permanently roll into your lord bench after a couple of turns so if you ever need to recruit them for realsies you can.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Restarted a campaign as Durthu and prioritised killing all the elves this time, 4 lots of those income buildings + the bonus to adjacent income buildings gives you a huge income to raise multiple stacks with, rolling with Durthu at the head of an army of dryads, treekin and wild riders and an accompanying army with a glade lord with a shitload of glade guard specced for range.

Whoever said Forest Spirits + limited elves is way better than Elves + Limited Spirits was really right, Treemen actually loving hold their ground well!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I never even considered recruiting lords and instantly kicking them so vOv

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Started with duthru, was a bit easy so restarted with orion and having a lot of fun. Sniped carcassonne's Capitol in a brutal battle, then cleared out the beastmen.

The best turn 1/2 I could find is to recruit 3 shiternal guard t1 at your border and build the way watcher poison shard building. T2, raze your normal barracks, build the income building, and use your agent to go after those walls.

T3 you can siege out the Capitol and build a small 2nd stack at home for public order, or if you get the walls it's just possible to take the city. Beastmen won't attack you if you are sieging, so use that to your advantage.

Oh and go the red chain basically always, +armor +melee to all units in your army is how you can go aggressive, eternal guard end up functioning a lot like zombies in the campaign, except you have archers. Suicide always beats ai.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

nopantsjack posted:

Restarted a campaign as Durthu and prioritised killing all the elves this time, 4 lots of those income buildings + the bonus to adjacent income buildings gives you a huge income to raise multiple stacks with, rolling with Durthu at the head of an army of dryads, treekin and wild riders and an accompanying army with a glade lord with a shitload of glade guard specced for range.

Whoever said Forest Spirits + limited elves is way better than Elves + Limited Spirits was really right, Treemen actually loving hold their ground well!

I'd say that elves really come into their own once you get some of the techs that increase their stats. Dryads and the T2 forest spirits in that line don't really benefit as much from tech increases so are probably better early game. Treemen take a long time to get too and in that time everyone else will be expanding if you try to rush for them.

Also a lot of the elven units are tricky and require being able to look at their stats and translate them into practical uses. Just in the early campaign: The first tier archer cavalry has stats that let it skirmish in melee despite being listed as ranged cavalry and the hawk riders are actually better suited as aerial shock cavalry against exposed units than ranged attackers.

Also War Dancers can be utterly ridiculous if you get the right skill buffs in the GC. I've seen them just mulch through three units of Bretonnian pikemen in the right situation.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I never even considered recruiting lords and instantly kicking them so vOv

I haven't dismissed any of my lords to make it work. I'm at turn 81 currently (2nd attempt at an Orion campaign; first attempt went badly) and I have 3 full stacks and 3 armies that are just the lords plus a couple units. Making 3k per turn and on the first Wild Hunt event I got, I made about 40k from razing settlements. It's kind of amazing how much the Wood Elves can snowball, actually, once you get off the ground. Actually getting going is tough but once you hit a kind of tipping point you just go and go and go. Like Archonex says, even basic units come into their own and kick all kinds of rear end once you tech up and have lord bonuses buffing them up too. It's even more dramatic than Skarsnik/Night Goblin Warboss bonuses for goblin units; Eternal Guard go from dying when they encounter a stiff breeze to being ultra-durable wall-takers.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 10, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm finding the dryads to be really solid infantry, especially backed by Durthu and a life spellsinger's buffs. Mix in some treekin and you've got troops that can hold the enemy in place while your archers, wild riders and treemen wreck the key units in the enemy army.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
4 eagles melted Morghur so fast I kind of don't know what the deal was and then I remembered that for whatever reason unit size was reset to small for me so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Doing Orion in the GC now and seeing all those amber costs for Eagles, Dragons and treedudes is bumming me out. Durthu seems easier given that I can get treedudes early without spending amber and my favorite elf units (Deepwood archers with whatever those arrows are that make them do like 50 damage) but now I'm stuck with having to learn to actually run without those things. Eternal Guard more like um...Eternally breaking Guard. Heh, nailed it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can Sigvald still solo siege situations, or does sacrificing soothing servings of slash sealing serums signify Sigvald sliding sadly to being simply sufficient at slaughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can Sigvald still solo siege situations, or does sacrificing soothing servings of slash sealing serums signify Sigvald sliding sadly to being simply sufficient at slaughter?

There's a regen cap now, so probably the second one.

• Locked thread