Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

thehappyprince posted:

if walters explains it to hbo pls post, i don't think we will get to hear

Basically blamed Top Rank for only giving him one fight this year.

Given Arum was literally standing right behind him and smiling I'm pretty sure it's clear he's moved on.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

a good way to be given more fights is to quit because you're behind i find

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was surprised, and I can understand the booing from the people who paid real money to be there in person, but honestly it was a smart choice, it looked like in round 7 Walters wasn't even really sure which way to angle himself to defend, that's got to feel like you're standing in a pitch black room waiting to get hit with a bat.

I first saw Loma as an undercard of MayPac and thought "who the heck is this footworking monster who keeps circling completely behind his opponent!?" and I saw more of the same tonight, against an opponent who was presumably of a much higher class than whoever he fought at MayPac.

Who does Loma fight next??

And yeah it's bad for Walters either way; quit and don't get more fights, or keep fighting and be well on your way to the old Frazier Trifecta:
  • money took
  • brain shook
  • name in undertaker's book

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jack B Nimble posted:

He actually seemed to think about it for a second when Kellerman asked him who he wanted next and then he said Vargas.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was surprised, and I can understand the booing from the people who paid real money to be there in person, but honestly it was a smart choice, it looked like in round 7 Walters wasn't even really sure which way to angle himself to defend, that's got to feel like you're standing in a pitch black room waiting to get hit with a bat.

I first saw Loma as an undercard of MayPac and thought "who the heck is this footworking monster who keeps circling completely behind his opponent!?" and I saw more of the same tonight, against an opponent who was presumably of a much higher class than whoever he fought at MayPac.

And yeah it's bad for Walters either way; quit and don't get more fights, or keep fighting and be well on your way to the old Frazier Trifecta:
  • money took
  • brain shook
  • name in undertaker's book

130 is probably one of the deepest divisions in boxing. Given the effusive praise it's clear the HBO Boxing machine-still probably the strongest in boxing-is behind him so he probably has his choice of the other three beltholders (Francisco Vargas, the winner of Jezreel Corrales-Takashi Uchiyama II or Jason Sosa), a rematch with Orlando Salido would be big. There's also Takashi Miura and the political divides are no longer a big stumbling block then undefeated Jose Pedraza is possible as well.

Lampley and Roy were talking up a hypothetical Pacquiao fight but if he get 3 fights next year I can see him doing 2 at 130 but moving up before 2017 is done.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That was a bit of a let down. I couldn't help but feel disappointed with Walters after about 5 rounds, when it didn't seem like he was trying to shake things up or do something new. I don't really blame him for quitting though, it seemed like he went from losing rounds to the possibility of losing consciousness. It also became clear he just couldn't get anything working.

Grittybeard posted:

He actually seemed to think about it for a second when Kellerman asked him who he wanted next and then he said Vargas.

I'd be down for this, Vargas is real fun fighter to watch.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
They should allow all of Lomachenko's opponents to come in over the weight limit and low blow just to get some competitive fights out of him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quite bizarre that Terry Flanagan gets no large amount of press or real air time over here in the UK when he's 32-0 and a world champion. I didn't even know who he was until he made the news for being Orlando Cruz's opponent.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He's been overshadowed by Crolla who's a much more exciting fighter and has a great backstory

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lomachenko is one hell of a boxer. Could watch that guy fight all day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Monday Bandele posted:

He's been overshadowed by Crolla who's a much more exciting fighter and has a great backstory

so what you're saying is someone should drop a paving slab on his head to get him in the news

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I wish Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux would have been made at 126. Will never happen now and Rigo has been completely buried anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Apparently Hopkins has replaced Nazim Richardson with John David Jackson for his (supposed) final fight against Joe Smith Jr on the 17th

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/11/30/13794220/bernard-hopkins-gets-new-trainer-for-final-fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
In a futile attempt to get you to care haye and bellew had a lively presser.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

hey guys mcgregor got a boxing license

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

hey guys mcgregor got a boxing license

oh what the christ

in other news, just finished Kovalev-Ward (and all the undercards including the prefight stream) which took me a loving age because I've been busy. Pretty drat good but holy poo poo Lederman, wake the gently caress up.

also, Ward's cutman looked like Geraldo Rivera and it was distracting as gently caress.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 1, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

(and all the undercards)

Really could have saved a trip here

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Really could have saved a trip here

I intentionally didn't watch the fight thread or read this thread so I could go in cold. I dunno. Knowing the outcome of the thing tends to color my perceptions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Apparently Hopkins has replaced Nazim Richardson with John David Jackson for his (supposed) final fight against Joe Smith Jr on the 17th

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/11/30/13794220/bernard-hopkins-gets-new-trainer-for-final-fight

I'm going to this fight and hearing about the trainer switching doesn't leave me with a ton of confidence in B-Hop tbh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Allen Wren posted:

oh what the christ

in other news, just finished Kovalev-Ward (and all the undercards including the prefight stream) which took me a loving age because I've been busy. Pretty drat good but holy poo poo Lederman, wake the gently caress up.

also, Ward's cutman looked like Geraldo Rivera and it was distracting as gently caress.

Stitch Duran is the most famous cutman working.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm going to this fight and hearing about the trainer switching doesn't leave me with a ton of confidence in B-Hop tbh.

Smith blowing out Hopkins (which I still don't imagine happening) would be so depressing

At least youll get to see Usyk live.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Stitch Duran is the most famous cutman working.

See, I knew I'd seen him before, but apparently I was just being momentarily prosopagnosic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dude was even in the new Rocky movie as himself. Not even Andre Ward could get into that movie as himself.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A really good card just streamed for free on youtube out of russia, unfortunately, I missed the whole thing and didn't even have the decency to tell you guys about it.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
It was great. Card of the year imo.

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/805095634177060864

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/805101768145309696

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/805127490649935873

You can watch the whole main event here, it's great. Lebedev's all heart and veteran skill, Gassiev hits like a train and doesn't seem to feel pain.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, BJS just barely scraped a mildly controversial decision over some random fucko he hand picked as a soft touch. He said he wanted to fight GGG but also admitted he did a poo poo job in the fight.

E: In more important news Tyson Fury was there and shouted a lot.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 4, 2016

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I completely forgot he was fighting, but I did watch that rando Russian card, which says something about where his career is going I suppose.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/806517811329769472

lol

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Cotto-Kirkland on 2/25; HBO ppv.

Sad thing is this will outsell Kovalev-Ward. Probably by quite a bit.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/18232197/miguel-cotto-agrees-feb-25-fight-james-kirkland-texas

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

also there's like 30 fights tomorrow

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

also there's like 30 fights tomorrow

How many of those fights are better than Cotto-Kirkland though?

The correct answer is 4 (Cuellar-Mares, Charlo-Williams, Parker-Ruiz and Menard-Beltran)

EDIT: Holy poo poo Alejandro Gonzalez Jr (fought Frampton tough last May) was found executed in Guadalajara :stare:

http://www.boxingscene.com/alejandro-gonzalez-jr-found-murdered-guadalajara--111586

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/807326043266842624

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 10, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd add Crawford Molina Jr because Crawford is better than Cotto and Molina is arguably better than Kirkland.

I don't really know much about these guys but I've also heard people talking about Concepcion vs Yafai.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Molina was apparently 4 pounds over has a couple hours to try to cut the rest

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Officer Sandvich posted:

Molina was apparently 4 pounds over has a couple hours to try to cut the rest

Way to gently caress up the biggest fall in your lap opportunity ever

https://twitter.com/CrystinaPoncher/status/807372334176894976

EDIT: No one cares.

https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/807409277203783680

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 10, 2016

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Molina is an extremely limited brawler and Crawford could easily fight at welterweight himself. Don't see why the fight wouldn't happen; Crawford will annihilate Molina.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Parker MD. Scary moments for him, Ruiz has fast hands and doesn't gas as much as you'd think. Wonder if he'll have difficulty getting fights now, he's shown he's no pushover and nobody will want to risk their boy getting exposed by a fat gently caress.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

Monday Bandele posted:

Parker MD. Scary moments for him, Ruiz has fast hands and doesn't gas as much as you'd think. Wonder if he'll have difficulty getting fights now, he's shown he's no pushover and nobody will want to risk their boy getting exposed by a fat gently caress.

We were waiting for Ruiz to gas. And waiting. And waiting... Parker got the win I feel but only scraped in. Ruiz is surprisingly athletic.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like Ruiz' whole thing since forever is that he's way better than he looks.

Based on the descriptions of the fight I can't see Parker holding a title for too long. Hughie Fury is allegedly the mandatory for the belt which I see as a close fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

real recognise real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPonGc7tW8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
really not sure what Matchroom's plan for Luis Ortiz is

Dave Allen is the closest thing we've got to a real life Homer Simpson: The Boxer

• Locked thread