Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Cowcaster posted:

mass effect 2 literally locked you out of using some weapons based on your class, and mass effect 3 had weight limits and weapon mods that all worked towards the same goals lmao

Yeah, and those are cool and good??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cowcaster posted:

i hated the way paragon/renegade were implemented in every respect i can think of off the top of my head except for at least going one way or the other never locked you out of content, from what I can remember
I liked the interrupts. I think they worked because they were optional and because split-second decisions tend not to leave room for subtlety so they generally matched up with what you expected.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lt. Danger posted:

were we arguing over whether they were cool and good or whether they made sense because they're not necessarily the same thing

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

ME1 Gun's is funny because it doesn't make sense, but it's bad because if I have to play at spreadsheets to be a badass space commando then the spreadsheet should be exciting

Probably should have led with the second bit I suppose

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lt. Danger posted:

How have you still not figured out that nobody is arguing otherwise? Literally zero people said that the way they did it in ME1 was better. They've said "who the hell cares". This is because normal people were able to see "oh, my character has no ability to train with this weapon. It is not a weapon I am supposed to use" and then just leave that alone. Yeah, ideally you just wouldn't bring along weapons that you can't be trained it. That would be better. But oh well, the system will serve and it's not a big deal. That's how most people feel.

You on the other hand are apparently so deeply triggered over a video game man carrying a gun that he is unskilled with that you are unleashing your weapons grade autism on anyone who doesn't feel that Shepard having too many guns is game ruining issue. Like Jesus dude you're arguing with nobody over an issue everyone considers trivial anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and as fantastic as new vegas, if we're talking about mechanics making sense having your intelligence maxed out to the detriment of everything else is the fastest route to maxing out every weapon skill under the sun which is unintuitive as h*ck

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's only Mass Effect where it's really a huge issue. An explicit Light/Dark side dichotomy makes sense for Star Wars (and for Jade Empire, despite issues with execution), and Dragon Age has an approval system for party members instead.

KOTOR didn't quite get it right, because the light side and dark side options are still your usual Bioware "Good to the point of idiocy" and "Satan" dichotomy. There is only ever one light and one dark option, and nothing in between, so following the light or the dark had nothing to do with altruism or pragmatism sometimes. KOTOR 2 improved immensely on the light/dark system by introducing the influence system. You could be a strong tenant of the light or dark side, which when maxed out gave you major attribute bonuses as a reward. Or, you could toe the line between the two, and make decisions based on influencing your companions, which in turn gave you access to more Jedi and stronger party builds. Adherence to one philosophy or another is kind of selfish, and gives major individual power bonuses, versus a stronger overall party.

The system in Mass Effect 1 is bad like I said, but I actually think it is worse in Mass Effect 2 due to the party confrontation sequences. If you haven't been powergaming your Paragon/Renegade points the entire time, you get hosed over on maintaining party loyalty, as you get stuck picking sides between Tali/Legion, Miranda/Jack, or getting Zaeed's loyalty at all. Mass Effect 1 at least gave you the option of getting Wrex's armour first as an alternative to talking him down.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

How have you still not figured out that nobody is arguing otherwise? Literally zero people said that the way they did it in ME1 was better. They've said "who the hell cares". This is because normal people were able to see "oh, my character has no ability to train with this weapon. It is not a weapon I am supposed to use" and then just leave that alone. Yeah, ideally you just wouldn't bring along weapons that you can't be trained it. That would be better. But oh well, the system will serve and it's not a big deal. That's how most people feel.

You on the other hand are apparently so deeply triggered over a video game man carrying a gun that he is unskilled with that you are unleashing your weapons grade autism on anyone who doesn't feel that Shepard having too many guns is game ruining issue. Like Jesus dude you're arguing with nobody over an issue everyone considers trivial anyway.

Jesus Christ.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cowcaster posted:

and as fantastic as new vegas, if we're talking about mechanics making sense having your intelligence maxed out to the detriment of everything else is the fastest route to maxing out every weapon skill under the sun which is unintuitive as h*ck

maybe, but if you don't also meet strength requirements for the weapon you're using it becomes more difficult to use effectively, despite your rank in that weapon type

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah I never really like it too much when games do the "high INT = more SP gain" thing. It always ends up being some min-max type thing where the best builds involve getting really high INT and then putting in your penance as a poo poo character for 20 hours until the scale shifts and you enter Maximum Everything phase.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i missed an "is" phone typing that post and like 10 people quoted it thanks a lot guys

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I can edit it in for you if you like

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JawKnee posted:

I can edit it in for you if you like

i mean technically i could edit it in for YOU if i like

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

KOTOR didn't quite get it right, because the light side and dark side options are still your usual Bioware "Good to the point of idiocy" and "Satan" dichotomy.
I think that's justifiable in a Star Wars-based game though, since that universe does have an explicit binary morality system. It's different if you actually want to explore the implications of that or treat it with some nuance (as KotOR 2 did) , but I don't think the first game needed to do that.

Jade Empire's version wasn't meant to be good / evil, but it worked out to be that 99% of the time anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think that's justifiable in a Star Wars-based game though, since that universe does have an explicit binary morality system. It's different if you actually want to explore the implications of that or treat it with some nuance (as KotOR 2 did) , but I don't think the first game needed to do that.

The trouble is that you're playing as Revan, though. Much as KOTOR 2 is responsible for expanding his character immensely, Revan as presented in the first game is still more complex than the Light/Dark dichotomy allows. A big moment that points this out is on Kashyyyk when you face off with the Rakatan personality tester. The light side options are not feasible military tactics, while the dark side options are, so choosing what is strategically the correct option nets you dark side points, thereby lowering your force power bonuses to light side powers. Toeing the line in KOTOR 1 just makes all of your force powers more expensive to use and weaker as well.

And that flies in the face of what Revan is supposed to be. He's a military genius who earns the respect of Canderous and Carth, the respective light and dark soldier companions, for different reasons. But the ingame penalties for following Revan's example make you weaker than adhering to Light or Dark completely. And without the later influence system, there is no incentive beyond playing a "canon" version of events to actually roleplay as Revan.

I think a light/dark dichotomy can work, especially in Star Wars, but you need good writing to back it up. Even Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, two characters considered pinnacles of the light side, still screw people over from time to time. If Bioware was writing Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon style wit and deception, those actions would net you dark side points.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

That's kind of the point of Star Wars though - idealism is good and pragmatism is evil. Killing Darth Vader is sensible, but it's also the wrong choice.

Revan's hawkishness is what sends them to the Dark Side in the first place, after all.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

The trouble is that you're playing as Revan, though. Much as KOTOR 2 is responsible for expanding his character immensely, Revan as presented in the first game is still more complex than the Light/Dark dichotomy allows. A big moment that points this out is on Kashyyyk when you face off with the Rakatan personality tester. The light side options are not feasible military tactics, while the dark side options are, so choosing what is strategically the correct option nets you dark side points, thereby lowering your force power bonuses to light side powers. Toeing the line in KOTOR 1 just makes all of your force powers more expensive to use and weaker as well.

And that flies in the face of what Revan is supposed to be. He's a military genius who earns the respect of Canderous and Carth, the respective light and dark soldier companions, for different reasons. But the ingame penalties for following Revan's example make you weaker than adhering to Light or Dark completely. And without the later influence system, there is no incentive beyond playing a "canon" version of events to actually roleplay as Revan.

I think a light/dark dichotomy can work, especially in Star Wars, but you need good writing to back it up. Even Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, two characters considered pinnacles of the light side, still screw people over from time to time. If Bioware was writing Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon style wit and deception, those actions would net you dark side points.

What is this???

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What is this???

it's actually extremely relevant because half of what me1 was (the one you liked), was due to bioware doing a find->replace on KOTOR, cutting out the D&D feats, and trying to shoehorn it into a shooter. also they ripped off the mineral harvester from star control 2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arcsquad12 posted:

sir this is a citadel docking bay

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

From memory one answer to those scenarios it to reject them as being modified by Revan to support his worldview.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

it's actually extremely relevant because half of what me1 was (the one you liked), was due to bioware doing a find->replace on KOTOR, cutting out the D&D feats, and trying to shoehorn it into a shooter. also they ripped off the mineral harvester from star control 2.

Yes but I'm talking about how I think he's taking some wrong lessons from the options and how they should be viewed in the SW universe.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I hope Mass Effect: Andromeda owns and has doesn't have too much dumb stuff in it!!!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Control was super greatwe should be so lucky as to have Bioware rip it off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yes but I'm talking about how I think he's taking some wrong lessons from the options and how they should be viewed in the SW universe.

The Star Wars universe doesn't have a rule that says "Light Side means doing the altruistic thing even if it is stupid." Bioware writing, meanwhile, says "Do this very stupid thing and get brownie points."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't remember the light side options being particularly stupid (but it's been a while). The dark side ones were cartoonishly evil, but that's fine for the setting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Star Wars universe doesn't have a rule that says "Light Side means doing the altruistic thing even if it is stupid." Bioware writing, meanwhile, says "Do this very stupid thing and get brownie points."

"do this very stupid thing and win anyways because you, the protagonist, can just murder your way through it"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pattonesque posted:

"do this very stupid thing and win anyways because you, the protagonist, can just murder your way through it"

Yeah that's every Bioware game though and in fact almost every game from any non-indie developer.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
here's a hot take for you: plot point for plot point the mass effect series is almost identical to that of quirky and forgotten game star control 3. complete with good precursors, bad precursors, and hot blue alien space babes.

wikipedia posted:

SC3's story expanded on the mystery of the Precursors' disappearance, and introduced new enemies in the form of the Hegemonic Crux.

Shortly after the end of Star Control 2, hyperspace mysteriously collapses throughout the galaxy, stranding most space faring races. The Captain, living on Unzervalt, builds another precursor ship, with an experimental "warp bubble" drive that allows it to travel between star systems without using hyperspace. The Captain contacts the other races and they discover that the hyperspace collapse is somehow connected with the Rainbow Worlds, and that it originates near the galactic core in the Kessari quadrant. The Captain is sent to the Kessari quadrant with colony ships from several races to investigate and solve the problems with hyperspace.

The Captain explores the Kessari quadrant, clashing with the local power bloc, the Hegemonic Crux, led by the Ploxis Plutocrats. During his investigation of the hyperspace collapse, a new threat becomes apparent - an ancient race called the Eternal Ones that consume the energy of all sentient beings once an eon are near to returning.

It is revealed that to protect themselves from the Eternal Ones the Precursors genetically modified themselves to regress to the intelligence of a cow. They created semi-sentient robots, the Daktaklakpak, to reverse the process after the Eternal Ones left. The Daktaklakpak malfunctioned and forgot their purpose, leaving the Precursors stranded at that intelligence level. The Captain temporarily reverses the process on a single Precursor, who explains to him before its death that the only way to stop the eventual destruction of the galaxy is to stop the Eternal Ones as their unnatural use of interstellar fatigue will collapse the galaxy.

The Captain then solves various problems in the Kessari quadrant, including persuading the Owa race to stop dumping their antimatter waste on Rainbow Worlds, which was preventing them from performing their function of mitigating interstellar fatigue, and breaking the power of the Hegemonic Crux, culminating in the defeat of a Crux Precursor battleship at the galactic core.

The Captain finally meets with the Heralds of the Eternal ones at the galactic core, and after defeating them discovers that the technology they use to gather the sentience energy needed to sustain the eternal ones is 99.999% inefficient. Using this technology and various other artifacts and technologies from the Precursors and the Daktaklakpak, the Captain is able to construct a device that harvests the required energy in a non lethal manner. The Captain then gathers sentience from many Kessari quadrant races and uses it to sate the Eternal Ones.
to be fair star con 3's story has a few more moving pieces..

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy guacamole!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm 'sentience energy'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

I hope Mass Effect: Andromeda owns and has doesn't have too much dumb stuff in it!!!!!

namaste

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i hope it has blue boobs on it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Moola posted:

i hope it has blue boobs on it

i feel bad for riling up the thread as much as i have because i'm used to the overwatch thread coming in and re-railing my fuckups with admonition and 300 pictures of pharah making out with a fire hydrant

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://gfycat.com/PresentPlumpErmine

??????

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress yeah Quarians confirmed

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Worst race confirmed *sigh*

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Obama should issue an executive order forcing Bioware and Obsidian to merge.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

I think Obama should issue an executive order forcing Bioware and Obsidian to merge.

Mass Effect: New Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SgtSteel91 posted:

gently caress yeah Quarians confirmed

Pretty much all of them are going to become like them sooner or later depending on how many planets they can actually live on.