Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If you like the idea of minecraft being turned into more of a hardcore survival game than the chill building game it currently is than you might like it. Not played it in 1.7.10 but iirc my biggest problem with it was how not forthcoming it was with how to do anything so if you can find a pack that has that questing mod with custom quests to help you figure poo poo out without needing to constantly alt-tab and look at a wiki I would recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've built so much poo poo in minecraft over the years. Castles and forts and future metal bases and flying islands etc, etc. I never felt so accomplished as the time I managed to build a tiny little enclosed hovel in Terrafirmacraft that I could finally safely sleep in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

shameful secret: i play terrafirmacraft in peaceful mode

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think i gave terrafirmacraft like an hour before calling it quits. Im pretty sure it had 600hp mobs that were aggressive that spawned in the day

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think anybody that regularly plays Minecraft should try TerraFirmaCraft at least for a little bit. I do get some enjoyment from those earlier parts of the game where I am still very much vulnerable, and you are vulnerable in that game for a long time. It sputtered out for me when it came time to really start metalworking, and also dealing with livestock was really annoying, but I did make it through a game year.

Meskhenet posted:

I think i gave terrafirmacraft like an hour before calling it quits. Im pretty sure it had 600hp mobs that were aggressive that spawned in the day

I don't think that's a normal thing in the base game.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Terrafirmacraft is good, and a few UI mods and little QOL improvements are out there to make it better, however;

:siren: DO NOT PLAY TERRAFIRMACRAFT ALONE. :siren:

It is really not designed to be learned alone. Almost everything is something to be discovered as a group. Blacksmithing is so much easier with someone helping the blacksmith. Ranching and farming become much less of a chore when shared. Having someone dedicated to making sandwiches for the diverse diet of the crew (that you'll discover as you play) is much more into the spirit of the mod. TFC is so much better even with one buddy to learn it alongside.

Playing it solo robs TFC of its joy and overcoming the environment, getting into farming and working towards complex metallurgy as a crew is the real meat here.

I cannot stress this enough; don't play TFC by yourself. It's just not made for that.

Meskhenet posted:

TFC also increases player health and its own weapons do significantly more damage when compared to vanilla and most mods, this usually results in needing compatibility patches, I think Botania got one which would be a nice magical compliment to the rest of TFC. Also the longer you stay "at home" the more it becomes yours, eventually resulting in no nearby monster spawns as you stamp your authority upon the land. :black101:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

shameful secret: i play terrafirmacraft in peaceful mode

I could see this working if you're solo, you can still starve in peaceful right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

I could see this working if you're solo, you can still starve in peaceful right?

I think so, but food generation on TFC maps is tuned for multiplayer, not solo. This means there is a metric fuckton of food everywhere, and killing animals, even with a low butcher skill, vomits meat out in mass quantities. I never had problems with food. Dealing with all the food before it decays, on the other hand...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i managed to claw all the way up to the final metallurgy tier in a solo game (peaceful,) it was quite a trip

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Random question but can you play that new broville map with other mods? I was thinking about putting together a modpack for me and my wife to play around with and it looks like it would be a very cool place to explore. :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Random question but can you play that new broville map with other mods? I was thinking about putting together a modpack for me and my wife to play around with and it looks like it would be a very cool place to explore. :)

Should be no issue. Just make sure you have retrogen for any additional ores.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I started doing TFC on a server and my friends are solitary dickheads so I basically had to play on my own. I think it's much improved over the 1.4-1.6 days; I haven't had too much trouble going it solo. I did start trading with a buddy and sharing ore vein locations, so I guess it does really help there, but I wouldn't say it's impossible to do it alone. Just turn on keepInventory if you're going to play singleplayer, because gently caress that poo poo.

I recommend some variety of minimap mod at a minimum. SmartMoving is also really helpful. There is also an NEI addon on CurseForge that's really helpful, and WAILA seems to have support for it that will tell you when long processes (like pit kilns or the bloomery) will be finished.

Also, I made a Painterly Pack for TFC.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 10, 2016

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Taffer posted:

Should be no issue. Just make sure you have retrogen for any additional ores.

Cool! Thank you.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So with Skyexchange the constant block lag is due to? It like i have to shut down and restart he game every few mins if i want to see whats inside my chests or the furnace...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Never mind, I found that if i looked into the progressive automations stone chopper it pretty much stuffed everything up.

But no quite as much as getting stuck in a piece of dirt. Then when i destroyed it and fell to my death my entire transumtation table was empty...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I see what the thread is saying. We should play TFC on Broville.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I imagine you would have to do some heavy modifications to get the stone/ore generation fitting, and proper plant/animal spawns

but I always did like the idea of a survival Minecraft map of surviving in the ruins of a civilization

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yep. This config, one high, can sustain three turbines, 80 blades each, just fine. You can increase the height to do more if you want, I guess.

How are the turbines setup exactly? What kind of coils and poo poo is in there?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uXs posted:

How are the turbines setup exactly? What kind of coils and poo poo is in there?

The turbines have 80 blades and 37 enderium coils. I usually just build a 5x5x27 turbine.

https://ftbwiki.org/Big_Reactors/Highest_Power_Data#Optimal_Unattended_Enderium_Designs for more information.

I rate limit the turbine to 1988 mB/t, that seemed to put it in the highest RF/t. I didn't spend a ton of time experimenting on it, though.

I use the following reactor: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O5C8O5C8O5E4O

This was able to handle three of those turbines in question. You can play with the control rod insertion in the planner to choke the reactor back to 2 turbines or 1 turbine, if that's all you can afford or can be bothered to build.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

On the topic of 1.7.10 mods/packs, is TerraFirmaCraft actually good or is it more of a Gregtech thing? I only tried it briefly what must have been years ago and I'm wondering if it's worth the timesink. Anyone here given it a shot?

It can be really fun. I'd recommend turning off mine-shaft collapses and food decay in the config, though. That stuff is just boring tedium. I'll also second the comment that said to add a mini-map, smart moving, NEI and WAILA and I'd look into adding some of the minor TFC related mods, which add more building blocks, furniture, etc.
Finding the specific type of ore/mineral you're looking for can be frustrating. Sometimes you have to travel huge distances and other than horses and boats, there's no way to travel quickly.
There's really no shame in playing on peaceful. The TFC hunger and damage system overwrites the vanilla one, so you still have to deal with it. However after I did this for a couple hours, I got to the point where I wanted the mobs back just to make things more interesting. They aren't that bad if you learn how to avoid/deal with them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
This is so confusing I'm playing a completely different game and I'm lost. I've tried three starts so far and I've yet to find anything that can be eaten but I figured out how to knapp. I've yet to figure out a way to survive the first night aside from swimming out into the ocean though.

I'm currently unsure if I want to bother learning this though. I'd like to say I've given it a crack but I have a real hard time with motivation for anything other than a) following a questline in singleplayer or b) getting dumped into an ocean of mods where I can make crazy building creations in multiplayer. The guides I'm looking at don't paint a very pretty picture either.

Edit: the guides have mentioned crops and animals and I have literally seen nothing other than the occasional horse and a bunch of flowers and reeds and long grass from a full day of wandering around each start. Most I ever found was some bismuth. This TerraFirmaCraft Reloaded pack has some pretty landscape though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 10, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

play TFC in peaceful mode if you're doing it solo

also in a pinch you can eat seaweed

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

play TFC in peaceful mode if you're doing it solo

also in a pinch you can eat seaweed

I tried while I was paddling out in the ocean away from some spiders but couldn't seem to. Do I need to cook it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

Never mind, I found that if i looked into the progressive automations stone chopper it pretty much stuffed everything up.

But no quite as much as getting stuck in a piece of dirt. Then when i destroyed it and fell to my death my entire transumtation table was empty...

On top of that, it looks like barrels are bugged out:

On my last map my stuff started glitching out after I destroyed a stone barrel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

This is so confusing I'm playing a completely different game and I'm lost. I've tried three starts so far and I've yet to find anything that can be eaten but I figured out how to knapp. I've yet to figure out a way to survive the first night aside from swimming out into the ocean though.
IIRC I dig out a 1-deep hole and put the dirt on the outside to then make a 1-high wall. I think that doesn't collapse. If I am in a rush I can throw hay on top of that. Mobs can go through it, but they can't see through it. So you can hide yourself away through the night that way. The real thing to do is get some logs because they can placed arbitrarily without worrying about collapsing. I like to make a small roof.

The kind of structure we're talking about here is something like a 3x7 or 5x5 or something else. It's really small stuff. If you're really industrious, you might be able to make something big enough to run fires inside, but I end up having to do all that outside the front. You want in particular to try to get some clay forms going so you can get to a copper pick very quickly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tech mod question: does RFTools stand alone well on its own, or is it worth combining with another tech mod like Mekanism? Assuming I don't want to go nuts with adding a bunch of other mods.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

IIRC I dig out a 1-deep hole and put the dirt on the outside to then make a 1-high wall. I think that doesn't collapse. If I am in a rush I can throw hay on top of that. Mobs can go through it, but they can't see through it. So you can hide yourself away through the night that way. The real thing to do is get some logs because they can placed arbitrarily without worrying about collapsing. I like to make a small roof.

The kind of structure we're talking about here is something like a 3x7 or 5x5 or something else. It's really small stuff. If you're really industrious, you might be able to make something big enough to run fires inside, but I end up having to do all that outside the front. You want in particular to try to get some clay forms going so you can get to a copper pick very quickly.

So wait, mobs won't notice me if they can't see me?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tech mod question: does RFTools stand alone well on its own, or is it worth combining with another tech mod like Mekanism? Assuming I don't want to go nuts with adding a bunch of other mods.

It has some silly power gen options but it's more of a collection of random tech stuff than an industry mod like Mekanism/Thermal Exp/EnderIO/etc. You'll have no grinding/smelting machines, no item/fluid/power transport (though it has its own item storage stuff), no new armor/tool/weapon options. No real utility tools aside from a device that teleports you back to a matter receiver you set it to.

It's useful for its teleporters/dimension generation/AE-like item storage and a handful of other toys but I can't imagine it being the sole tech mod in a pack.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 10, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Dirt does collapse into a hole like that. You just need 5 dirt to make the wall then, though. The first one collapses into your feet, the other four make the wall you're hiding behind.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

So wait, mobs won't notice me if they can't see me?

It has some silly power gen options but it's more of a collection of random tech stuff than an industry mod like Mekanism/Thermal Exp/EnderIO/etc. You'll have no grinding/smelting machines, no item/fluid/power transport (though it has its own item storage stuff), no new armor/tool/weapon options. No real utility tools aside from a device that teleports you back to a matter receiver you set it to.

It's useful for its teleporters/dimension generation/AE-like item storage and a handful of other toys but I can't imagine it being the sole tech mod in a pack.
Ah, okay. I couldn't tell because God forbid people put details on the mod page beyond "the manual's in-game".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

I tried while I was paddling out in the ocean away from some spiders but couldn't seem to. Do I need to cook it?

You must have an old version of TFC. Does food decay? Can you combine it with the "S" key in the inventory?

When you break it, it should drop as an item and have a damage bar.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

I'm currently unsure if I want to bother learning this though. I'd like to say I've given it a crack but I have a real hard time with motivation for anything other than a) following a questline in singleplayer or b) getting dumped into an ocean of mods where I can make crazy building creations in multiplayer. The guides I'm looking at don't paint a very pretty picture either.

Edit: the guides have mentioned crops and animals and I have literally seen nothing other than the occasional horse and a bunch of flowers and reeds and long grass from a full day of wandering around each start. Most I ever found was some bismuth. This TerraFirmaCraft Reloaded pack has some pretty landscape though.
I've recently started playing it myself and I remembered why I ditched in the first place, for much the same reason as you and that people have been pointing out: enemies with massive health, no real way to fight reliably, no way to build an early dirt shelter.
My advice is to get a knife immediately and start cutting grass as you go, so you can get straw and craft that into thatch, a cheap non-gravity-affected block. The downside is that while opaque, thatch isn't solid, and can be walked through. When night 1 comes, I just walled myself up on all sides against a cliff with thatch. Monsters can't see me so they don't chase me, but if you're already being chased, they can come through the thatch for you. Just avoid line of sight and you should be okay.
Logs aren't hard to get either and they aren't affected by gravity so they'll probably be an early-game building material. If you have the TFC Decorations mod (which I highly recommend) you can combine 1 clay, 1 straw, and 1 dirt (or sand) to make wet mud bricks. Lay them out in the sun, leave them to dry for a while, then craft together in a 2x2 for 4 adobe bricks. Really cheap, early game, accessible building material that doesn't fall. Made my first more permanent shelter with it. In a pinch, raw clay (that you find in the world) isn't affected by gravity, so if you find it on a hill/cliff you can dig into the side of it safely.

A few more tips:
*Use the wiki. The Stone Age Guide in particular is helping me a lot in terms of getting my bearings.
*I found out I started so far North that I couldn't find seaweed because the climate was too cold. I headed south until I got to around -10,000 (10km from equator) and that got about temperate enough for seaweed to grow. Right click it with a knife to harvest it. Combine it with S and you'll have something to munch on. In this respect, really, there seems to be a LOT of reason to go exploring, because you'll find new stone types, new wild crops, ore nuggets, fruit trees, berry bushes, etc. Just don't go too far into cold climates or pickings will be very slim.
*Stone tools are easy to get and once you memorize the patterns (shouldn't take long with as often as you make them) they'll be quick to make. Cut down trees you see and start log piles, they're an all right building material early on and you'll need them in great supply. Replant what you can but remember leaves must be manually broken to drop saplings.
*Start small. A tiny hovel just 2x2 inside was enough for me to huddle in for the first few nights.
I'm firing pottery now and I finally got an inventory to store my stuff in. I may start over because I have a slightly better grasp of this and I want to get as much done as fast as possible so I don't waste the warm season.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, the main thing in TFC is that you need to explore a lot to get stuff

i usually don't settle down until late summer, early autumn, unless i really luck into a nice spot

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think 'literal caveman simulator (minus the caves, they'll collapse on you)' is a description people should use when describing it to people who don't know it, from what you guys are saying.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

I think 'literal caveman simulator (minus the caves, they'll collapse on you)' is a description people should use when describing it to people who don't know it, from what you guys are saying.

It's not wrong. There's a stone age, then a casting age, then a metallurgical age.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you're playing with friends you have to communicate in grunts and pointing until you have teched up some, for proper immersion :colbert:

E: Actually having a mod that turns everything you write into grunting until you've developed language would be a mix of terrible and hilarious. Have it also change everyone's names to caveman-y monosyllabic grunt names. You'd have to encode some system for pointing at things with the grunts or it'd be awful. Something like each player has a color that is their "point" and can highlight blocks or project a short arrow of their color to point in a direction. Probably some basic stuff like grunting affirmatively or negatively as well (or some basic words are allowed, but anything bigger gets gruntified).

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 11, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I wanted to go take it for a spin again. What's the cool kid TerraFirmaCraft modpack these days?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay I wanted to go take it for a spin again. What's the cool kid TerraFirmaCraft modpack these days?
I'm testing out a few at the moment, will give a trip report soon. There's more than one with HQM though.

Magres posted:

If you're playing with friends you have to communicate in grunts and pointing until you have teched up some, for proper immersion :colbert:

E: Actually having a mod that turns everything you write into grunting until you've developed language would be a mix of terrible and hilarious. Have it also change everyone's names to caveman-y monosyllabic grunt names. You'd have to encode some system for pointing at things with the grunts or it'd be awful. Something like each player has a color that is their "point" and can highlight blocks or project a short arrow of their color to point in a direction. Probably some basic stuff like grunting affirmatively or negatively as well (or some basic words are allowed, but anything bigger gets gruntified).
Pointing to highlight a block would be an awesome feature in Minecraft, period. It'd help building and indication a lot.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Actually yeah that'd be a really nice quality of life feature just for the vanilla game, it's often really hard to communicate what drat spot you're talking about.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Dirt does collapse into a hole like that. You just need 5 dirt to make the wall then, though. The first one collapses into your feet, the other four make the wall you're hiding behind.

I remember the trick. You place one level of dirt/rock wall then dug around inside of it. That doesn't collapse for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I see what the thread is saying. We should play TFC on Broville.

Me, I just lose all hope, and give up, my friend who used to play all the time has gone off and is doing other things (ARMA II mainly ) so never wants to play. I do have a good PC and internet do if anyone wants me to set up a server for people to play on let me know and what server you want (link to server files if not easily gettable from a launcher)