Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kanfy posted:

I've never spent a single second in voice chat with randoms in competitive and I never will, if you wanna try and throw me in jail then I say bring it.

The only person in all of your competitively gimped games, is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kanfy posted:

I've never spent a single second in voice chat with randoms in competitive and I never will, if you wanna try and throw me in jail then I say bring it.

Woah, look at the badass here.

Communication can be the difference between a win and a loss. You can play however you want, but you pretty much forfeit your right to bitch about losses if you aren't willing to make the minimal amount of effort to even try and win.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Why play in comp if you're not going to actually try or use every possible advantage?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People are so scared of voice chat with other people its kinda funny at times. They can't hurt you and just join voice is literally the easiest thing to do in the game. As long as you can hear your teammates talk its fine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why would i want to talk to strangers on the internet when i get more than enough of that from here

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
On the topic of voice chat, one of the worst things about Overwatch (to me) is that when we're in a party we don't get automatically put into a game's chat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Good Will Hrunting posted:

On the topic of voice chat, one of the worst things about Overwatch (to me) is that when we're in a party we don't get automatically put into a game's chat.

sorry did you mean "best"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
No, I enjoy winning even though I'm terrible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm finally about to reach level 25 and might want to give this competitive mode a while, voice chat and all. What are like the things I should be considering with teamplay at this level? In quick play I know to do stuff like play my role, group up and don't stream out to die one by one, and so forth, but what else will I need to do

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Help Im Alive posted:

You need to lower your sensitivity if you're only sliding across a single desk
"Finally SOME one freaken gets it!!" - Pyotr Griffeng

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The last 6 quick play games I've joined have had less than a minute remaining and the team I was put into was getting rolled. Thanks blizz.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I win far more games when I use voicechat than when I don't. I was hovering around 1400-1500 until one day I bought a headset and shot up to 2400. :shrug: Shot calling can be really good even if it only helps win a few extra games.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Why the hell would I not be in team voice chat in comp? Listening to 14 year old boys rage is like 60% of the reason why I even play overwatch.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't go in team chat because my feelings get hurt really easily

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The last time I had voice chat on, I didn't know that muting the game audio didn't actually affect the chat audio, so I took a call in the middle of a match and my mom got to hear a kid scream "gently caress you Widowmaker bitch go loving kill yourself" (I was not playing Widowmaker)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm finally about to reach level 25 and might want to give this competitive mode a while, voice chat and all. What are like the things I should be considering with teamplay at this level? In quick play I know to do stuff like play my role, group up and don't stream out to die one by one, and so forth, but what else will I need to do

Just do whatever, your SR will reflect the level of effort you put forth. If you want to play attack Mercy and drop to bronze tier, go for it. If you want to push yourself to see how high SR you can get, then just do your best. There's no mystical secret to comp mode, the main difference is that people on average are trying WAY harder.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The last time I had voice chat on, I didn't know that muting the game audio didn't actually affect the chat audio, so I took a call in the middle of a match and my mom got to hear a kid scream "gently caress you Widowmaker bitch go loving kill yourself" (I was not playing Widowmaker)

LOL

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Anyone else losing rank due to unplayable laggy servers?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ok, 1:30 to go, the game stops, says 0-0 DEFEAT and I lose 60(!) SR. What the heck happened?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rick posted:

Ok, 1:30 to go, the game stops, says 0-0 DEFEAT and I lose 60(!) SR. What the heck happened?

were you in sudden death and did the other team push the cart farther than you?

edit or maybe this

celewign posted:

Anyone else losing rank due to unplayable laggy servers?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I gave mouth based chat a shot since Catfish hyped it up.

Surprisingly, there's been no trash talking the couples of hours I've had it enabled. There's barely any talking at all, and this is late night EU.

I suppose I'll keep it on as long as it stays chill.

Currently listening to Russian guy yee-hawing like cowboy.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 10, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The number one piece of advice the tryhard thread regularly gives to everybody is "worry about your own performance" so given that I'm not really sure where "but you should always be using teamchat" falls on the list compared to things like aim, positioning, map sense, picking useful characters, playing the objective, etc. Especially if you're playing in Diamond on down, where to be perfectly honest even when people ARE using voicechat the actual value gotten out of it can be questionable. "Reaper on the right!" calls out someone, leading everyone to wonder who exactly is calling it out and right of what where? "I need healing" says the guy who, again, doesn't make it clear which hero he's asking for instead of simply hitting the button that puts an indicator up for the supports to see.

Like I'm not morally opposed to voicechat or anything but the idea that if you don't use it you're throwing is kind of baffling to me. I'm willing to believe that the higher up in rank you go the more importance it takes on, but at the level of the average player I'm not convinced it's THAT big a deal. If people can climb solo picking Symmetra then they ought to be just as able to climb picking better characters and simply focusing on good play while ignoring voicechat.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have fun, relax and ignore the wailing of your team mates since they don't know any more than you do. Play a whole lot if you want to get good.

I am in chat every game because the whining can be hilarious. Sometimes I try to chat and be positive other times I am the silent lurker. It rarely effects whether we win or lose. I only mentioned it as a bad case because any 6-5 loss sucks, add in the same whine over and over again and I totally should have muted fools. Next time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tryhard thread consistently undervalues teamwork because it's something you can't "control." What they don't get (and to be fair it's not like I've always been great about this either) is that it isn't about controlling other people in the first place, it's about being open and available to help your team when they ask for it.

It's true that if they don't know to ask or don't trust you the effort will be wasted, while mechanical skill is useful all of the time. But if you go into a team game thinking "I'm surrounded by idiots, why would I want to talk to them" you are part of the problem. Especially because matchmaking means that barring outliers you're just as bad as they are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cowcaster posted:

were you in sudden death and did the other team push the cart farther than you?

edit or maybe this

They had pushed farther than us, but we were on attack and there was still more than a minute to go.

It's probably the lag though.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

The number one piece of advice the tryhard thread regularly gives to everybody is "worry about your own performance" so given that I'm not really sure where "but you should always be using teamchat" falls on the list compared to things like aim, positioning, map sense, picking useful characters, playing the objective, etc. Especially if you're playing in Diamond on down, where to be perfectly honest even when people ARE using voicechat the actual value gotten out of it can be questionable. "Reaper on the right!" calls out someone, leading everyone to wonder who exactly is calling it out and right of what where? "I need healing" says the guy who, again, doesn't make it clear which hero he's asking for instead of simply hitting the button that puts an indicator up for the supports to see.

I'm the guy saying "Reaper on the right" but the linear nature of the map design lends itself to the kind of description. If it's payload it's the right side of the payloads path. All the maps have a unidirectional flow and generally clear battle fronts, right?

People who tell me they need healing does get me out if my tunnel vision and I spin a circle to see if I missed a hurt teammate, which happens a fair deal because I'm a dps pro Zen. (I'm really not, but I do miss healing needs sometimes).

I love pure informative team chat that just says Tracer behind because that's saved me so many times. They don't need to be funny or anything, just see something, say something.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kai Tave posted:

Like I'm not morally opposed to voicechat or anything but the idea that if you don't use it you're throwing is kind of baffling to me. I'm willing to believe that the higher up in rank you go the more importance it takes on, but at the level of the average player I'm not convinced it's THAT big a deal. If people can climb solo picking Symmetra then they ought to be just as able to climb picking better characters and simply focusing on good play while ignoring voicechat.

You don't have to use teamchat, you can win without teamchat, but it's not really debatable that teamchat will help your odds. Even the examples you gave are useful, because they at least tell you that there's a Reaper nearby or one of your teammates is about to die. Unless you are giving specifically contradictory information, any information you give your team gives them more to work with than silence.

I imagine "worry about your own performance" just means don't blame poo poo on your team, because if you focus on what others do wrong instead of what YOU'RE doing wrong, you'll never improve. I wouldn't know because I've never been to the tryhard thread, I just wander in here from the meimei thread sometimes.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm the guy saying "Reaper on the right" but the linear nature of the map design lends itself to the kind of description. If it's payload it's the right side of the payloads path. All the maps have a unidirectional flow and generally clear battle fronts, right?

Yeah, this is very true, though occasionally supplementing with "enemy to the right of x character" plus using call-outs with specific features/landmarks can really help (i.e. 'on top of gas station/saloon' etc.) can help too. It really is just a strictly better thing to have team chat like that vs. not imo, along with calling targets/ult combos.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tryhard thread consistently undervalues teamwork because it's something you can't "control." What they don't get (and to be fair it's not like I've always been great about this either) is that it isn't about controlling other people in the first place, it's about being open and available to help your team when they ask for it.

It's true that if they don't know to ask or don't trust you the effort will be wasted, while mechanical skill is useful all of the time. But if you go into a team game thinking "I'm surrounded by idiots, why would I want to talk to them" you are part of the problem. Especially because matchmaking means that barring outliers you're just as bad as they are.

It doesn't even have to be a mindset of "god my whole team but me is made of idiots" for someone to want to mute a bunch of anonymous randos from talking in their ear is the thing. People who are perfectly skilled mechanically can still.be insufferable to listen to and at that point muting them and/or the teamchat as a whole might very well be beneficial to your own play since not having to listen to ReeferLord69 shriek and talk poo poo the whole game means you can focus on the actual game and not wishing you were playing quickplay instead.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I use team chat to shout out enemy positions or when I'm pushing or ulting as a tank or support, but I also blast spicy memes the rest of the time. It's the best of both worlds.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

foutre posted:

Yeah, this is very true, though occasionally supplementing with "enemy to the right of x character" plus using call-outs with specific features/landmarks can really help (i.e. 'on top of gas station/saloon' etc.) can help too. It really is just a strictly better thing to have team chat like that vs. not imo, along with calling targets/ult combos.

That assumes a level of mental dexterity I don't actually have. :)

I'm one step removed from "there's a guy up on the thing, you know, the big guy!"

Totally agree with you. Callouts are just a bit higher than my skill level right now as I'm not 100% my teammates have name recognition with places. I know I don't

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I like it when people keep yelling at everyone over voice chat to kill [enemy player who's wrecking our team].

Thanks for the sage advice, mate. I never would've worked out on my own that the 93% accuracy mccree is a problem that should be taken care of.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Ape Agitator posted:

That assumes a level of mental dexterity I don't actually have. :)

I'm one step removed from "there's a guy up on the thing, you know, the big guy!"

Totally agree with you. Callouts are just a bit higher than my skill level right now as I'm not 100% my teammates have name recognition with places. I know I don't

I mean, me too tbh. Thinking about it, I pretty much just know/hear call-outs for the payload pool, which probably makes sense (I still don't even remember the names for all the KotH maps). It's also probably 90% 'the hotel' on the approach to point A of Kings Row and 'gas station'/'saloon' on Route 66. I wonder if, as the map pool sticks around for longer, people will start to develop a similar level of call-outs as i.e. counterstrike maps, they really are pretty useful (although probably the point about the linear design in OW you mentioned makes them less useful in this game).

I dunno, coming from like SC2 I kind of wish there were more specific executes/whatever that people would run in OW, but that might be a 'comes with time' thing, or just something that looks different in the context of Overwatch. I guess stuff like the Mei icewall on Hanamura A/out of the hotel on King's Row, or like Hanzo sonic into swap stuff is starting to build up that 'vocabulary' but who knows what'll happen.

Mymla posted:

I like it when people keep yelling at everyone over voice chat to kill [enemy player who's wrecking our team].

Thanks for the sage advice, mate. I never would've worked out on my own that the 93% accuracy mccree is a problem that should be taken care of.

Yeah, I definitely go for the 'mute the problem player and then keep doing the same comms' approach.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mymla posted:

As someone who plays supports I do this sometimes when I'm getting focused by a flanker but it's generally always phrased as 'watch for X they're gunning for me' - you'd be surprised how often that helps! I just generally don't assume my team has as much game awareness as I want them to most of the time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Occasionally I say things like "I'm gonna hook their roadhog, get ready to focus them down" and I like to think that it helps.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I gave mouth based chat a shot since Catfish hyped it up.

Surprisingly, there's been no trash talking the couples of hours I've had it enabled. There's barely any talking at all, and this is late night EU.

Conversely, I had a young college girl the other day rage, drop racial and homophobic slurs, and when I told her she was raging and should shut up she fired back "No. YOU are the one raging"

I had fun that match.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I almost never see people get mad in chat (in the 2800-2900 bracket NA, mostly playing in the evenings). Some colorful personalities once in a while, like the guy who played Widow and was really vocally excited every time he got a headshot, but it was hard to be mad with him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like, you guys know you can join voice and then mute people on leave as necessary, right? You're not a prisoner in some social experiment.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I almost never see people get mad in chat (in the 2800-2900 bracket NA, mostly playing in the evenings). Some colorful personalities once in a while, like the guy who played Widow and was really vocally excited every time he got a headshot, but it was hard to be mad with him.

My best experience was with a player I'll never forget.

His name was "Bloodyurine" - guy was hilariously high and his roommate kept getting on him for playing "kids games". He then called his roommate out for being lazy and sitting on their couch staring at a wall while high, and stated that he was at least engaging his mind.

Everyone on the team was joking around hysterically - Bloodyurine set the mood up right. Everyone communicated, had good laughs, and we won easily. Hands down the best game of Overwatch I've played.

Bloodyurine is a goddamn genius, and I need to emulate his attitude.

Internet Explorer posted:

Like, you guys know you can join voice and then mute people on leave as necessary, right? You're not a prisoner in some social experiment.

Oh yeah, most definitely. However, in that same game, we had a 13 year old kid playing. Raging I can deal with - someone using a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs? That sets me off. I shouldn't have responded to her and just muted her, but out of my inability to hold back in telling someone they are ignorant, I felt the need to.

And although you can mute them from talking, you can't stop them from trolling the whole match in a fit of rage, unfortunately.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're really misreading that stuff then imo because it's not that people are saying teamwork is bad, it's that you shouldn't assign all the blame to your team when you lose

most of that stuff was also in direct response to that guy that kept asking how best to control their team, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

If people are running three tanks and only one dps it just means you're at an SR where people don't know how to play reaper. A good reaper/zen combo will absolutely melt that team comp.

DVAs in particular I feel are extremely overconfident. If there's a discord on her and I'm reaper, I'll have her out of her suit in seconds. After which I can either kill her for some free heals or, if the situation is too hot, just wraith out.
This is very true. As a D.Va main, anytime I come up against a good Reaper I'll know it immediately. I'll then just avoid him like the plague. Simliar to how I treated Zarya last patch. Or, wait for opportune times to take'em out.