Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, what's a decent strategy for LB farming? I finally got a 3* Cecil and I know he's pretty much the only character worth putting in all the work for. Is it to just run low level explorations and full clear them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

deathbagel posted:

Which units do you have? If you have a Refia then Dualcast is really good. If you have an all mage team with some non-Exdeaths/non-Arcs then Dualcast is really good. If you have mostly attackers you might want to look at stuff like Blade Mastery from Chorizo or one of the big weapons (Rising Sun, Excalabur, Save The Queen, etc)

Or you can just save them and keep praying for a Zidane.

3x ExDeath, Golbez, Vaan
2x Cecil, CoD
1x Agrias, Lenna, Arc, Kefka, Celes, Terra, Chiruzu, Bartz, Maxwell

Off the top of my head they form the majority of my top teams

In tems of future-proofing a DualCast for a great healer is more useful than a great but-mild-upgrade weapon yea?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, what's a decent strategy for LB farming? I finally got a 3* Cecil and I know he's pretty much the only character worth putting in all the work for. Is it to just run low level explorations and full clear them?

My main Cecil is now at level 18 / 5*, just 2 more 4* Burst pots short of lvl 20. All I did was save LB pots and use them efficiently by consulting tables with the XP per level.

I think those tombstone-like enemies are good to wail against, they have very high Def so they absorb a ton of hits and can let you build up LB gauges multiple times per battle. Grindy though, unless a macro exists.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

You can solo Wolfsfang Peak but it really requires a max level 4* Cecil at a minimum. You'll need the Angel Ring and Fairy Ring to provide regen and blind/poison immunity. Then just go in solo without a companion and auto attack everything to death. It takes me a bit over an hour to do a full run and I get about 130ish LB XP per run.

The second option is if you have CoD's TMR. You can stick an elemental weapon on your Cecil with that TMR plus a regen accessory and just auto against Chimera in Phantom Forest forever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Badman posted:

Is FANG someone I care about pulling? Because I did.

Do you like dragoons? Then, yes.

rio posted:

Has anyone pulled a unit and then not had it show? I pulled a Zidane and just went to view it and it is not there - it was the only worthwhile pull I got blowing my tickets too...

It's there. Sort your units by game for a minute.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

kalensc posted:

3x ExDeath, Golbez, Vaan
2x Cecil, CoD

In tems of future-proofing a DualCast for a great healer is more useful than a great but-mild-upgrade weapon yea?

Yes, though you don't have a great healer to use with it at the moment, so by the time you get one, you might have another 100% in moogles saved up. I am more of a get something that is useful now kind of guy but you do make a good point.

Really though it looks like you are very mage heavy so the physical stuff wouldn't be amazing for you at the moment anyway. If I were in your spot I'd probably just save them for now.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Of course the game has to choose the run with the metal gigantaur to
1. Not have the boss die to two rounds of crushing blow and chained thundaga's (almost always gets taken out by this)
2. wipe out my party save Cecil with wave cannon, despite it only taking out one or two party members the one or two other times he survived long enough to trigger it
3. not have Cecil trigger his 75% cover mechanic, or the 5% golem cover on lightning after reviving her, which would've saved her and let me finish the boss off.

Gonna go back to TM farming for a while until the salt content of my body reaches non-pissy levels.

The way I did it back when we didn't have as many LB pots was to bring Lenna, lower everyone's attack as much as possible (no espers except ramuh on Lenna, no weapons), raise their defence as much as possible, wear poison resistance accessories, equip cats bell and Angel rings on everyone, then bring them to Maranda coast and let them grind it out there, and use ramuh to handle the boss.

It's pretty risky though, and you need to sort of find a sweet spot, especially when your characters are still 3* and not that durable. I started with using two max out Lenna's, then eventually worked down to just one. If you do this, you might want to fill the other spots with LB healers.

Also, it takes a ridiculously long time. Like you'll pretty much gain back all the stamina you used to enter the stage by the time you get out.

kalensc posted:

3x ExDeath, Golbez, Vaan
2x Cecil, CoD

In some ways, DualCast is actually better than dual wield, and its definitely better than most weapons. I'd go with that, and put it on Cecil.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Do you like dragoons? Then, yes.

I've tried sorting by game and every other way and it is not there. I wrote support but am not hopeful. It particularly sucks since it was not just a random pull but literally the only worthwhile thing I got from blowing all my tickets on this banner.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You could also sort by Acquired. It should show up right at the top.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deathbagel posted:

Kitted out Kain to 490 atk with double Dragon Killer and twin lance. He should be very good at killing the 2 headed dragon. I will leave him up for a couple of days so people can use him to beat the trial.

EDIT: Yep, he's good at it. Dragon went down without much trouble and now I have a fancy new hat.

Thanks, went smooth as silk. Refia, Cecil, Kain, Lightning, Exdeath, and friend Kain. No deaths and used one Echo herb.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Phew, took two tries and a full complement of Phoenix Downs and Elixirs but I managed to fell Antenolla. Hope this Mace will be a difference maker for CoD versus Gilgamesh ELT.

When considering friends, how should I compare higher Atk vs lower Atk plus a Killer materia? Unsure if the Killer would apply to just the base stats or include equipment and pot upgrades and whatnot.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 9, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Getting Vanille as a 1/2 pull is handy in that I get 600+ gears per run now due to having plenty of Lightning buddies, but I still don't think I'm going to do much more than get the summon tickets, then try to grab the screamroots/alcrysts, elixirs, and eventually the gigantaurs.

Tried the dragon, got murdered at 50% when it did Release and blew up everyone from full HP. since I only have cheer/focus for stats due to the debuff and I never saw it use boost. Might try only doing auto attacks and never buffing but my melee options in general are just so bad. Got a 2nd CoD too but I don't think it's worth leveling at this point.

t:mad:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

There was a lb grind macro for earth shrine awhile ago. It just targetted the enemies so your characters would all attack one to build crystals. Worked great for me when I was lb leveling my cecil, and works for tm grinding too. Check the reddit thread for it.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

1/2 price today was Fang, I never mind when I pull a character I don't have yet. I decided to blow a ticket on the new banner (had 31, need to have even numbers!) and got another Cecil. Maybe I'll start working on his LB and eventually replace my 6* one with him AND eventually I'll have a second Excalibur, though I don't place it as super important since every big tough enemy seems to be resistant to holy and I have to take the one I have off of my characters anyway.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Woot, managed to take down Gilgamesh. Decided not to use my Trust Moogles yet, will keep hoping for a Zidane to pop out of a crystal. Thanks for the help thread. :D

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Half Price: Rahshasa.
4 Tickets: Sazh, Fang, Fang, Miyuki.

Also, I can't wait until my boy Olan Orran makes it in!

Of course, odds will be so stacked against me getting him, and even if I do, he's a 6-er, so I'll probably never get him post 5... But I don't care!

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

There's a hilarious/disturbing bug happening to me in Arena right now. Dual-wield Gale Barrage Bartz will keep hitting people who are dead if there are no valid targets left, including damage numbers popping up. Should I be concerned?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Skyridge posted:

There's a hilarious/disturbing bug happening to me in Arena right now. Dual-wield Gale Barrage Bartz will keep hitting people who are dead if there are no valid targets left, including damage numbers popping up. Should I be concerned?

Death is merely a suggestion in the arena, and its common to see your characters attack corpses, and dead/ petrified cecils leap in front of another person to save them.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
As is evident even just in this thread, they gacha rates have definitely been tweaked at some point.
Common summons are only about half as common as before, so that's pretty nice! Its possible they just did the smoothing out of the rare-common summon rates part that came with the gacha change.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They definitely have, this morning I pulled my first Roselia as a daily, then used 5 tickets

Fang
Fang
4* Roselia
Garland
Artemios

not a single bedile, maria, penelo, or sabin

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I used 3 tickets last night and got a Zidane on the 3rd. Zidane 33% drop rate confirmed.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Trilin posted:

As is evident even just in this thread, they gacha rates have definitely been tweaked at some point.
Common summons are only about half as common as before, so that's pretty nice! Its possible they just did the smoothing out of the rare-common summon rates part that came with the gacha change.

What makes you say that? I don't think posts from this thread is enough to assume that.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Threw a ticket at the FFXIII banner. Got my second Hayate in less than a week.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

What makes you say that? I don't think posts from this thread is enough to assume that.

there's also been posts on the reddit and fanforums suggesting this is also the case. The bediling rate was extremely high prior to snow's banner so its incredibly obvious that the rates have changed. My guess is they did this just in time to make megawhaling for the really good units a lot less painful.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Tagichatn posted:

Really? Just look at all these posts! Its obvious enough to me just from them, but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5hf6hh/gl_gacha_discussion_possible_reduction_of_common/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8N5O0qt34c

The video there makes a pretty good case on its own really. 144 is not an optimal sample size, but its certainly suggestive of something going on.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
You'd imagine this is the type of change Gumi would emphatically announce. People would be way more willing to drop cash, especially today with the overlapping Gilgamesh/Lightning banners.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I blew 7 tickets on the banner to try and get another FF13 character to give the event another shot now that they upped the drop rate. It took all 7 to get a Fang, but at least on the way I got my first ever Chizuru and a fourth Cecil. I don't think I will need 4 Excaliburs, so I ground him up and fed him to my 95.6% main Cecil just to free the spot and put another Ingus in my grinder group. Just a month or two to go till I can run optimized L&A Exdeath oh boy

The event is actually better now, I don't hate it nearly as much as I did when it started. Upped drops, Lightning's bonus, and my CoD having dual wield makes the whole thing a million times less painful than it was when it started

Edit: My other pulls weren't super great, but not terrible either, from memory/sorting my unit list:
Krile
Cyan
Cerius
Chizuru
Cecil
Roselia
Fang

Edit2: I also literally just noticed they changed the daily quests so you only need to do 5 out of the 6 to get the daily lapis reward. Man, I would've still bothered doing dailies if that'd been the case when the event started

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 10, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any suggestions how to turn my gears into gil? I am trying to figure out if exchanging them for items and then selling the items would be more efficient than just selling the gears. I am perpetually poor trying to max out my characters with cactuars.

Another question, whose lb should I work on leveling first - CoD, Elza, Faris, Exdeath or Lenna?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I used 3 tickets last night and got a Zidane on the 3rd. Zidane 33% drop rate confirmed.

Confirming. I used three gear tickets and my third was a zidane

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rio posted:

Another question, whose lb should I work on leveling first - CoD, Elza, Faris, Exdeath or Lenna?

Exdeath (and 6* CoD, I suppose) is the only one of those who has an effect boosted by LB levels past "numbers get bigger", focus on him out of that list.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Trilin posted:

Really? Just look at all these posts! Its obvious enough to me just from them, but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5hf6hh/gl_gacha_discussion_possible_reduction_of_common/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8N5O0qt34c

The video there makes a pretty good case on its own really. 144 is not an optimal sample size, but its certainly suggestive of something going on.

Ah nice. I haven't been pulling so I didn't notice myself.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My last ~10 pulls (2x Exdeath, Garland, Cecil, WoL) were nearly as good as my first 50+

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, now I feel like I should burn all my tix today before they change it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Don't pull guys, it's a trap. (Decided to pull two more seeing the luck here, got two more fangs making 7/13 pulls today Fangs. She is the new garbage unit for the week I guess)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wife did an 11 pull and got shadowned and Bediled and a few banner characters. Don't fall for it!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, I don't think they really did anything to improve the pull rates. People getting good pulls post about it, and for sure if they had improved them (on purpose, at least) they would've mentioned it to get people to spend money

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The so-called "improved pull rates" is definitely just confirmation bias. I pulled a Clyne on my last two half price pulls.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

The so-called "improved pull rates" is definitely just confirmation bias. I pulled a Clyne on my last two half price pulls.

No way man, it's real!

*pulls again and gets a gold crystal... Russel*

Ok, maybe it's confirmation bias.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I had 15 tickets and decided to go for it. Fang, Fang, oh hi Cecil, too bad you are 3 stars.

10th ticket, rainbow. Is it.... Lightning! OK, I'm done here, I'll save the other 5 tickets for a future banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Edit2: I also literally just noticed they changed the daily quests so you only need to do 5 out of the 6 to get the daily lapis reward. Man, I would've still bothered doing dailies if that'd been the case when the event started

Yeah I pointed that out a page or so back. As long as everyone knows the dailies are easier, it's all good!

• Locked thread