Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Is just massaging the headers out of the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Rotten Cookies posted:

Can you take that arm from the box and flip it?

Funny you suggest that because me and Dave went back out to look at it and I think that's the way we're going to go. The biggest con is that it's a cone bushing so we're going to hog out the hole on the steering box arm so it can fit through the other side and fill the space with quick steel. Now it's a matter of either getting a new pitman arm, heating and twisting the existing one, or fabbing something from the remains of the jeep.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I know Dave already cut the firewall, but I'm cool if you need to smack the headers in a bit too

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

djdanno13 posted:

Now it's a matter of either getting a new pitman arm, heating and twisting the existing one, or fabbing something from the remains of the jeep.

Please be thorough in your decision making and execution of any of these plans. You all know this, however I am going to politely remind everyone that pitman arms are not to be underappreciated.

Also LOL at the bashing the headers video. That's awesome. I vote that if it's a valid solution.

Can you reroute the headers around the steering box/column?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heating and changing the shape of the pitman arm is probably the easiest way to go, but also the most dangerous. I have no idea what steel it is made of or whether it is tempered, but if it is any kind of hardened steel, you will remove the temper and then possibly add a temper that is inappropriate. E.g., it may be too hard/brittle, or too tough/malleable, after you bend it.

There's a good chance it's just mild steel and will be fine regardless, mind you. But I wouldn't bet the driver's life on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is exactly what I was going to link. Just bash the gently caress out of the headers and be good with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. Consider that power loss is on an engine making nearly three times the power of that L05. Bash the gently caress out of those headers.

I would be wary of swapping the pitman arm around since it should be a tapered fit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Heating and changing the shape of the pitman arm is probably the easiest way to go, but also the most dangerous. I have no idea what steel it is made of or whether it is tempered, but if it is any kind of hardened steel, you will remove the temper and then possibly add a temper that is inappropriate. E.g., it may be too hard/brittle, or too tough/malleable, after you bend it.

There's a good chance it's just mild steel and will be fine regardless, mind you. But I wouldn't bet the driver's life on it.

It's either cast or drop forged going by the picture. Hard to tell without handling it and tapping on it. Probably not cast given the dynamic load, but I don't exactly know how 1940s engineers think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. I guess what I mean is I'd be happier if it was cut and welded, than if it was heated and bent, unless I knew exactly what it was made of. And it's so loving cold out there, just throws another variable into the mix.

Is it the original/old stock pitman arm?

I doubt it's actually cast iron, that'd be too brittle for a mechanical piece like that, right? But drop forged or cast mild steel, or maybe a mid-carbon steel? I dunno. :shrug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rather than loving with the pitman arm, why not just fabricate a new drag-link that includes a 3" side-step?

Here is the worlds worst paint drawing attempting to illustrate.

I've never messed with steering stuff, so I'm sure I'm missing something terribly important that might make this be a terrible idea.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
That may cause a mixup with the steering wheel/column placement if you move the box too far over?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Can you take that arm from the box and flip it?

Was coming to post this.

E: if you can make the flip happen with a conical washer and a locknut, give me your best guesstimate of the angle and I can make (Stainless?) and overnight the cone washer.

E2: or drop ship a drag link and I can make that a work instead. I have a pretty good shop at work.

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 10, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really think using a sleeved tie rod to flip the dag link over and shave down the tie rod side and fill the conical with quick steel smeared with blue grease to pop it out when ready, with a large thick washer is the way to go

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'd be pretty leery about hacking up the pitman arm. Changes to the pitman can do weird poo poo to how the vehicle steers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'd be pretty leery about hacking up the pitman arm. Changes to the pitman can do weird poo poo to how the vehicle steers.

It's a '51 Chevy dump truck. I don't think they'll be able to tell the difference. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

glyph posted:

Was coming to post this.

E: if you can make the flip happen with a conical washer and a locknut, give me your best guesstimate of the angle and I can make (Stainless?) and overnight the cone washer.

E2: or drop ship a drag link and I can make that a work instead. I have a pretty good shop at work.

I'll get some measurements in the morning thank you

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'll get some measurements in the morning thank you

Be sure you send him the measurements of the truck parts, not the "personal" ones of yours.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Used eBay headers? There must be something out of the 500 choices.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
DO NOT flip the pitman, nor put the drag link on the other side of it... that way lies disaster. Please. :ohdear:

I'd either heat, bend, and gusset the drag link, or turn the drag link into a Z-link, like has been suggested, which is a super common trick among mud truck builders who lift too high without thinking about their steering. Unless that part is completely irreplaceably rare, that is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
AI is so weird. In PYF, when you ask for help, you get your opinion criticized to hell and back, ridiculed, or told to do the exact opposite of what you should do. In Games, they just tell you to GET GUD.

Here you strange people are, actually helping out. I don't get it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
We want to see this truck make it to Florida and 14 to make it home in the fastback.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
it really is the cool dudes forum. *flicks cigarette at u*

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

AI is so weird. In PYF, when you ask for help, you get your opinion criticized to hell and back, ridiculed, or told to do the exact opposite of what you should do. In Games, they just tell you to GET GUD.

Yeah but god forbid we are ever on the road together.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why would you ask anything in PYF? That's the forum for people who would list their interests as "Buzzfeed lists", "the 90s", and "Netflix"; if they knew anything about anything, they'd be posting in a different forum.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Or if you do something just abysmally stupid like that guy that paid a jillion dollars for a car due to financing idiocy.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Raluek posted:

Also, what about a cast iron log manifold?

Has this been tried? Hell, even an old rams horn manifold looks like it'd fit. I'd explore any and all header/manifold options before I'd start messing with steering components. But then again this isn't automotive sanity so hail satan.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
What about the van box?

Turning steering linkages into a U is a bad idea

Horizontal box shafts are common on all sorts of heavy duty crap, even tractors for that matter...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Modifying the draglink into a z-shape seems like the most ideal route to go. This only has to last about 2000 miles, most of the steering will be into and out of gas stations and Napas until he starts getting to more populated states and has to drive through a city or two. Get it done by that machinist with the bonerific car horde and it should be more than capable of survivng the trip.

Yeah, it'll have to get cut in half to do this, but unfucking it if it's unicorn rare shouldn't be a problem (for a good machinist) once the truck's in Florida. Worst comes to worst, you have to get a new link fabricated if it's turbofucked and not replacable otherwise.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

kastein posted:

DO NOT flip the pitman, nor put the drag link on the other side of it... that way lies disaster. Please. :ohdear:

I'd either heat, bend, and gusset the drag link, or turn the drag link into a Z-link, like has been suggested, which is a super common trick among mud truck builders who lift too high without thinking about their steering. Unless that part is completely irreplaceably rare, that is.

Serious question can you please elaborate more on why we should not turn the drag link around to bolt on the other side? Or is it just because of the tapered end?

I wasn't hip on z'ing the drag link but if others have done it successfully?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, I would think all this would be a last resort, as it seems pretty extreme. Is Hammering the headers still out of the question?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

djdanno13 posted:

Serious question can you please elaborate more on why we should not turn the drag link around to bolt on the other side? Or is it just because of the tapered end?

I wasn't hip on z'ing the drag link but if others have done it successfully?

Tapered end. If you have a machinist around who can fill the old taper with weld on the pitman, mill the surface flat again, then drill and ream a new one on the other side that has the same taper angle as the old one (there are a few standards and I have no idea what GM used in 1951) it is a decent idea, but anything else runs the risk of wallowing the hole out and snapping the stud and nut off, or just snapping the stud and nut off. Either is obviously bad news, and all this requires modifying an ancient part that is not easily replaced most likely. Jbweld will fail in a few miles, if it even lasts long enough to torque the nut down.

It is a lovely problem to have and I'm not even sure how I would move the box over, nevermind solving the linkage issue, if bending or z-linking it is not acceptable. Neither of those is ideal but I have seen worse.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I may still have the ram horns from Bernice. Let me take a look tomorrow, I know they are worth something to hot rod guys for some kind of clearance issues so it might be worth a look.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, I would think all this would be a last resort, as it seems pretty extreme. Is Hammering the headers still out of the question?

If you're open to it, then it should be considered. The 3" might mean a combination of tweaks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought you guys were already running aftermarket truck headers. Is that what the van came with?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, the black headers are aftermarket blockhuggers. The OEM manifolds don't fit in the truck, so you have to go with an aftermarket solution.
I thought, in the research I did that these would clear the steering box without much issue, but it would seem that is not the case. I would try and see if they can be hammered in first before loving around with something as critical as the steering though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In other news Dan says farting is contagious because were both pretty talkative today

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We're all refugees from the apocalyptic hell scape that is every other car forum on the internet. Its so nice to be here I don't think anyone wants to gently caress it up.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

14 BAR RIFF posted:

In other news Dan says farting is contagious because were both pretty talkative today

Try morse code.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just catching up with this thread after following along vaguely on facebook. Great work 14. The first time I did a wiring job like that was also the last time. Also:

Someone please tell me that that thing drives that thing and I can die a happy man. I know it doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Try morse code.

All you are going to get is two asses saying "dear god why the pickled eggs" and "for the love of god send help" and "tell my rectum I love her"

• Locked thread