Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ferrule posted:

Already a genetically modified warrior, pre-hammer. Not a doctor. With cancer. Who's dying.

Yeah but he became thor when he lifted it. Later Odin made him a hammer, but the hammer gave him the power of thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ferrule posted:

Already a genetically modified warrior, pre-hammer. Not a doctor. With cancer. Who's dying.

It still gave him the "Powers of Thor" then. Please accept that this is just a case where Jason Aaron has settled on how the hammer works. You don't have to like it (I sure as poo poo don't. But Sif apparently wasn't selling which makes me sad.) but it's how it is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My interpretation is that the hammer is the bestower of the godly station of thunder. Otherwise Thor is just an alien norse dude.

Android Blues posted:

Donald Blake wasn't originally just a disguise. In early Thor, he was an existing person that Odin had shunted Thor into, which is really weird ethically if you think about it, but I don't think 60's Thor concerned itself with this much. That got retconned later to Blake having been a mortal disguise devised by Odin who had never been anything but a shell for an amnesiac Thor, but originally (when the "if he be worthy..." thing was written), Blake was an actual mortal whose body was transformed by the hammer.

Which he could never reveal to Jane Foster, for how could she love...a man with a slight limp!?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WickedHate posted:

My interpretation is that the hammer is the bestower of the godly station of thunder. Otherwise Thor is just an alien norse dude.

Which he could never reveal to Jane Foster, for how could she love...a man with a slight limp!?

Don't forget that this period also revealed that Jane Foster was secretly Sif

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

Don't forget that this period also revealed that Jane Foster was secretly Sif

That was only in the 70's and it was Sif merging with Jane to save Jane's life, Jane later transforming into Sif (like Blake turned into Thor) and the writer forgetting to have her transform back for months. Then they retconned it so they never actually merged and Jane was just sent to another dimension because of the staff they used.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

I meant "when in comics did the hammer become sentient?" Like, point me to that arc or whatever. Sorry.

And as for my second question...yeesh, I forgot about Thunderstrike. Sorry all.

Literally the last few months. Like, everybody's been noticing the hammer's been weird since Jane's been wielding it, but Mighty Thor #11 has the hammer display sentience, and #12 is titled "The Untold Origin Of Mjolnir" and features Aaron's new backstory for the hammer.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Horrible Taste posted:

That was only in the 70's and it was Sif merging with Jane to save Jane's life, Jane later transforming into Sif (like Blake turned into Thor) and the writer forgetting to have her transform back for months. Then they retconned it so they never actually merged and Jane was just sent to another dimension because of the staff they used.

Was she sent to the microverse like Janet Pym?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TwoPair posted:

Literally the last few months. Like, everybody's been noticing the hammer's been weird since Jane's been wielding it, but Mighty Thor #11 has the hammer display sentience, and #12 is titled "The Untold Origin Of Mjolnir" and features Aaron's new backstory for the hammer.

I think it was when she kissed the hammer and said Good Hammer <3

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Pureauthor posted:

Nick Fury whispered something to him.

We don't know what it is yet.

"Loki is your true father."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ygolonac posted:

"Loki is your true father."

"Neigh! That's impossible! "

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

CannonFodder posted:

"Neigh! That's impossible! "

"Misspoke, he was your true mother"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"Neeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"theunworthysayswhat"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
If I remember correctly, one of the plot points of the "Erik Masterson as Thor" timeframe was that while he looked like Thor and had Mjolnir, he wasn't actually as strong or tough or powerful as Thor. I can't remember if that ended up being because of an actual difference in power, or because Erik was just a dude who didn't know how to fight and was just as responsive to pain as a normal person, whereas Thor has thousands of years of experience fighting and getting hurt.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Nick Fury whispered something to him.

We don't know what it is yet.

"What WON'T you do for a Klondike Bar?"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"These violent delights have violent ends"

the revelation will kick off Super World, every hero is a host

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"These violent delights have violent ends"

the revelation will kick off Super World, every hero is a host

Killer robots? Pym's fault.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

prefect posted:

Also, during the "Time Runs Out" storyline, he grabs the hammer of Thorr, which requires the wielder to be unworthy, and right before he charges at the bad guys, he can no longer carry the unworthy hammer.

This does beg the sperging question: what does it mean to be UNWORTHY?

Worthy is fairly easy to define (a good person with a warrior spirit seems to be the general requirement), but unworthy? That basically makes it sounds like anyone who isn't a general hero or good person could pick it up.

...There's a miniseries in this, I feel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Odin's personal opinion at any given moment.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

goatface posted:

Odin's personal opinion at any given moment.

Except the enchantment has taken on a life of its own and now determines for itself who is worthy. Odin himself, hilariously, is not. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everybody has self-worth issues at some point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Except the enchantment has taken on a life of its own and now determines for itself who is worthy. Odin himself, hilariously, is not. :v:

Well he shouldn't have gone full Patriarch

Never go full Patriarch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Onmi posted:

Never go full Patriarch

I laughed out loud at the little "MAGIC" graphic. :thumbsup:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Onmi posted:

Never go full Patriarch

Is that... real? Like, not edited but an actual page of a published comic?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

robziel posted:

Yes. No.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

prefect posted:

I laughed out loud at the little "MAGIC" graphic. :thumbsup:

That looks like a wonderful avatar for somone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

That looks like a wonderful avatar for somone.

Waaaay ahead of you :)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

robziel posted:

It's an edit. but that's BASICALLY what Odin's new characterization is.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Toshimo posted:

Yes. No.

Onmi posted:

It's an edit. but that's BASICALLY what Odin's new characterization is.

Thank you.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Toshimo posted:

Yes. No.

okay, but who made it? Where'd it come from? Have they done more?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

okay, but who made it? Where'd it come from? Have they done more?

Illuminating Comics. Yes though they've stopped the series after finishing Secret Wars.

But now for an actual badass panels

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn I loved that issue of DC One Million :allears:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn I loved that issue of DC One Million :allears:

Yeah, that's why people (like myself) are still big on Morrison.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aww yeah that's that goooood poo poo right there

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Omnibus is totally worth it if you can find it. The setting gives it that extra bit of weirdness that most events lack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What's even crazier is that this is actually the denouement to All Star Superman, which was written years later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I love Batman being all "well, we won, but does this mean free will doesn't exist?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

What's even crazier is that this is actually the denouement to All Star Superman, which was written years later.
Well, they were written by Grant Morrison. By his standards writing the conclusion years before the setup is pretty mundane.

As awesome as that whole sequence is, though, this is still my favorite page:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Superman and Lois sure have some shapely robo asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Superman and Lois sure have some shapely robo asses.

Buns of steel, even.