Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Stole this from the game screenshots thread, sorry if it's been posted already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been wondering what was gonna make chapter 13 so bad, and the reason makes itself immediately apparent.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's becoming that one story level from F-Zero GX. You know the one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

Stole this from the game screenshots thread, sorry if it's been posted already.

Prompto is a good friend

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP in peace, Regalia.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Usually don't care about those Tastemade food videos, but I can't fault Square's marketing team.

https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/videos/1241775919242906/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Found a photo of someone cosplaying late-game Prompto:

Also they missed a massive opportunity when sleeping for the first time in World of Ruin to have it say "10 years passed." Kojima wouldn't have overlooked that. :colbert:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

BEST PART OF GAME: back to the future reference when you get the flying car.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

cams posted:

BEST PART OF GAME: back to the future reference when you get the flying car.

I was waiting to get the flying car just so I could quote that movie and Noctis did it just after I did. :woop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prompto stop reading my fanfiction.

I should've picked this for the photo you select

e: Noct Gar doesn't need your poo poo old man. I am the best fisherman now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 10, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Prompto took a photo of the gang in their unlockable outfits. Not sure who the fifth guy is though.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Heavy Metal posted:

The thing is, your opinion is less objective than you think it is. It really is all personal taste. I've seen many posts of yours voicing complaints, which is cool, but I don't share those complaints necessarily. It is a subjective thing.

You say Persona 5 "is" cohesive, because it's up your alley and you have less complaints. It still may be apples and oranges comparing the two games like they're going for the same things.

Hell yeah, DQ VIII is just for me a perfect take on this classic formula. Really fun.

I like this game more than that person, and I still say chapters 9-14 are a mess.

It's actually really hard to enjoy this game and think those chapters are good considering they are the shortest and fight against everything this game is about.

Anti-friendships, left overs from the game trying to be dark and edgy, plot holes the size of the missing content and then some.

Villains that don't appear again on screen motives left on documents, grunting over literally the most important plot point in the game, one that can explain some more about luna.

The funniest thing is the story actually is so poorly explained, removing chapters 10-13 doesn't effect the plot. it just looks like the 4 dudes haven't shaved and they are shipping off to fight at night

There is only one thing wonderfully done but even that isn't commented on at quite the right moment nights getting longer

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been wondering what was gonna make chapter 13 so bad, and the reason makes itself immediately apparent.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's becoming that one story level from F-Zero GX. You know the one.

the I've taken a poo poo on myself walk, certainly makes the whole experience WORSE.

and I got a special helping of chapter 13.

You can't save ina good huge chunk of chapter 13. Auto save point is during a specific point.

There's a point where enemies spawn in an unusual way.

Thats the only point in which you must defeat everything around you.

Guess who got an enemy that spawned outside of a fightable area and had to reload about 30 minutes of that chapter?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh my god the final boss fight is so loving bad and if you die you can't skip any of the cutscenes.

e: you can skip some but you have to pause it first. Still, why the gently caress is this game so intent on removing large parts of its combat system for major story battles? It's insane how bad of an idea that is

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay so I'm at the tail end of 6 ready to head up to the vesperpool, and it appears the lestralum market quests disappeared? Worse, there is a quest icon still at Lestralum market (I mean at 'physically' at a market stall) and if I select it my game soft locks preventing me from accessing any menu.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 10, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Oh my god the final boss fight is so loving bad and if you die you can't skip any of the cutscenes.

You mean Ifrit or the one after?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Onmi posted:

I like that he party has different reactions to the final picture you take with you.

If you pick one of Aranea Prompto says he completely feels you. If you pick one of Iris Then Gladio says he'll look the other way, just this once.

This is something very amazing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ImpAtom posted:

You mean Ifrit or the one after?

The one after. I made the dumb assumption that the Zone of the Enders part was easily winnable like the only other time you've had to do that nonsense.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

e: you can skip some but you have to pause it first. Still, why the gently caress is this game so intent on removing large parts of its combat system for major story battles? It's insane how bad of an idea that is

how did you even lose, it was like yu yevon.

Pack up some hi-elixers and you're good to go.

What part of combat is removed?

The first half is normal, the second half is like "well you've won"

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Why don't they scale the story missions to your level"

that's why

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SectumSempra posted:

how did you even lose, it was like yu yevon.

Pack up some hi-elixers and you're good to go.

What part of combat is removed?

The first half is normal, the second half is like "well you've won"

The part where it's you and your crew using powers and abilities you've gained through the game. You know, actual progression and proper gameplay.

It doesn't matter though, the second time I fought him Titan decided to show up immediately and insta-killed him. :v:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Great shot, keep it up!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

There was stuff cut from MGSV, and it has similar posts of people saying it's a shell of a game, unfinished, etc. But what it is, to me, is a masterpiece, one of the best games ever. Over 100 hours of engaging thrilling fun. I have similar thoughts about FF XV.

You have your opinion on various elements, and compare it to another game you find done better. That's cool. But ultimately, we're looking at what makes a game a success in different ways. Everybody looks for different things and has different issues with whatever thingy we're discussing.

Mechanics for example, I have zero complaints about. You have severe complaints with them. Both are valid views, it's fine.

???

The game is successful in everything that isn't chapters 9-13

Hell the creators of the game want to add more cutscenes there because it was done poorly.

The ending is so well done most people walked away even after 5 lovely chapters in a row, saying good things about the game.

The person you are quoting constantly calls the game fantastic but flawed lol.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did...did I hear a chainsaw during the final royal weapon QTE?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Did...did I hear a chainsaw during the final royal weapon QTE?

The Sword of the Tall is a chainsaw, yeah.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULExobtlAI

This is one of my faves from the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ImpAtom posted:

The Sword of the Tall is a chainsaw, yeah.

Sweet.

Did you guys use the royal weapons all that much? I never found them powerful enough to justify tanking my health like that or maybe I just didn't find the right ones.

Also for how bad large parts of this game was the ending was pretty cool, though I don't know what part y'all are tearing up at. I like less whiny, dirty Keanu Reeves Noctis WAY better than his normal self.

I can't imagine how the voice acting sessions go for a game like this. "No that was too cool and confident, say it again but act like the most put upon bitch in the world. No sorry still not nasaly enough."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since weapons provide bonus stats when equipped even if they arent used and you dont lose health in armiger equiping one or two isnt the wirst thing even if you never whip it out in battle.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what were the teleport pads in the dungeon you find the mythril in for?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Just finished the game. My biggest regret is not picking the perfect Cup Noodles picture to bring with me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Don't forget that Royal Arms ignore resistances, so they really shine in the endgame when you run into all sorts of poo poo that resist everything :catstare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yodzilla posted:

Prompto took a photo of the gang in their unlockable outfits. Not sure who the fifth guy is though.

This is from the next patch, where you are also on the road trip

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I just beat this game.

This is probably now my second favorite Final Fantasy, after 9. It was an absolute blast to play, beginning to rushed end.

I agree with everyone on the story beats. Chapters 9-14 were incredibly rushed, and a huge mess. Chapter 13 dragged way too long, though I feel that the people that say it is the worst videogame experience ever are probably exaggerating a bit. I actually appreciated the atmosphere, and had a lot of fun with that chapter for maybe the first 90 minutes. After that though I was about ready to move on. I actually thought the story was a pretty good story, just told extremely poorly.

Chapter 14 was totally great. I actually felt the monsters were a fair bit challenging which was fun for a change in the story missions. The last few bosses were kind of pushovers though.

I look forward to playing the post game. I've largely ignored fishing this whole game and I intend to work on it now that I'm through. The combat is by far my favorite combat of any Final Fantasy and probably better than most video games. The open world is great, nice and relaxing. The characters are endearing and funny, and I really cared about them by the end of the game. I look forward to the story DLC coming in the future for this one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It feels so good to be back in the open world once the story is over.

Kinda lol though that Dave shows up for the post-game hunt even though in my game he's currently lost in the woods. :v:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Where do you get/buy the shards to color your car? I'm level 50 in chapter 8 and still waiting to change the car from blue to something else.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ometeotl posted:

Where do you get/buy the shards to color your car? I'm level 50 in chapter 8 and still waiting to change the car from blue to something else.

As far as I know you have to find them, any pickaxe point on the map.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chapter 6 boss fight spoilers
I hope I'm not the only one that saw the Dragoon jump miles into the air and INSTANTLY followed after her with the warp strike for a midair scuffle. I got shocked when there was a actual fight that could take place up there :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 6 boss fight spoilers
I hope I'm not the only one that saw the Dragoon jump miles into the air and INSTANTLY followed after her with the warp strike for a midair scuffle. I got shocked when there was a actual fight that could take place up there :v:

Yeah, it's cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Holy poo poo this solo dungeon in the post-game just keep going. Real fun though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wow the Regalia Type-F is a real cock tease piece of poo poo. It's cool for all of a minute until you realize the game wasn't nearly built with what you want it to do in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have a favorite 333 ap skill to unlock? I'm about to start post game and was trying to decide between point blank warp strike, airdancer, health level 3, or quick tech. I can't see critical link being worth it to take first.

Warp strike killing low level stuff seems to be the fastest way to farm ap so far, they're really easy to chain together to kill a pack of 5 mobs in no time.

• Locked thread