Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where did the third butt come from?

))<>((

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

All you are going to get is two asses saying "dear god why the pickled eggs" and "for the love of god send help" and "tell my rectum I love her"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFaDiUFYPc

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

:siren::siren:PARTS UPDATE: :siren::siren:

:siren::siren: INNER TUBES INBOUND :siren::siren:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is the new plan for 14" steam boat captain gonna sail it down the mighty mississippi, into the gulf and down to florida? Because I can probably find a way to get it towed from my neck of the woods to orlando if so. :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I explained this thread to my wife the other day and she was absolutely blown away at the levels of crazy going on here.

:v:: So this dude that lives in Florida bought a truck sight unseen in Montana.
:j:: Is he going to drive it back?
:v:: No, another guy volunteered some storage space in Nebraska so he's having it shipped there first.
:j:: And then drive it from there?
:v:: Eventually, but it's pretty old so he's gonna swap in a new engine first and then drive it back. Another guy is coming in from Washington to help.
:j:: Wait, he's flying in just to help fix an old truck?
:v:: Well, to fix it and then help drive it down to Florida. But another guy's gonna fly him down with miles, actually.
:j:: Do these guys know each other?
:v:: Not really. Just on the forums.
:j:: :stare:

I love this place.

I just had this exact conversation with my wife and her sister.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
RHD conversion?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ExplodingSims posted:

:siren::siren:PARTS UPDATE: :siren::siren:

:siren::siren: INNER TUBES INBOUND :siren::siren:

Holy poo poo wait are we dealing with split rims!?!? Did I block that out of my memory?

Edit: oh poo poo dammit they are this just keeps getting crazier and better all the time.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 10, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Wasn't there some talk of getting modern-ish wheels/tires for it? Or did you find a tire shop willing to risk life and limb?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If so I hope they got a block heater for their massive brass testicles. You couldn't pay me to gently caress with 50 year old split rims.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Memento posted:

See my wife, having met a bunch of Goons via Gen Con and local meet-ups just kinda shrugged. She did get a kick out of the burnt up car though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

looks like bashing those headers in will get you an inch or two of movement.

Is there an alternative pre-bent arm available that fits on the splines on that box (eg something from a different vehicle) or something that is already handed the other way round at the bottom?

I had similar to this when i swapped my truck over to power steering but there is a different arm that fitted on my box and lined everything back up :)

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

djdanno13 posted:

So we really need ai help on this one. Online sources talk about moving the steering box over a max of 1.5 inches. Apparently they were using different headers however and the closest we can set the box right now is 3 inches which is literally touching the header. Take a look at the included pics but the biggest issue by far is the angle on that pitman arm. It's maxed out. Short of getting a new manifold does anyone have any ideas? This is like project ending type poo poo right here so we really need all brain power on this one. Thanks guys.

So, I've dug into this a little.

Since I'm unclear on the names of these things, I'm going to refer to the arm between the yellow circle and the red circle as the "pitman arm". The linkage with dashed green on it, between the red circle and the blue circle I'm going to call the "drag link".

Earlier I was talking about flipping the entire pitman arm to connect to the drag link on the frame rail side of the arm. like so:

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, the drag link is 'handed', the current one won't work.

As best i can tell under the nut (yellow in the picture above) is a splined ('chevy' splined- 32 splines total, but at 36 spline spacing with four fat splines at 90* intervals) hole that is not tapered. Is there clearance for the arm to go the other way, so it schwanks towards the frame rail? Also, as best I can tell, there isn't a taper (6 degree for chevy?) anywhere on the pitman arm, instead there's a ball that's pressed and peened into the pitman arm.

If the arm can flip around the splining without hitting the steering box or the frame rail, you'll need a new drag link that has a twist the opposite direction left vs right handed?. If the arm CAN NOT flip on the splining, as I see it, you have a few options:

* Press the ball out (details linked above), which sounds like a bit of a bitch, and press a new ball in (near the bottom of linked page) on the frame side of the pitman arm. As an aside, what happened with the ball end dealie for the clutch fork? That site, classicpartsusa has those too..

* Give up on the pitman arm you've got right now and order a pitman arm (ideally a FLAT one, without the schwank the current one has so you can set it up with the large end of the tapered hole towards the frame rail, but, if you can work with the zig going towards the frame rail side, you could run it inside out) from a 54+ steering box with a tapered drag link hole (as best as I can tell with a quick search, the splining is the same, should swap right over) and use an adjustable tie rod sleeve to deal with the left handed nature of the drag link you'll need- I say this assuming the drag link hits the steering linkage proper via a tapered hole (the interface in the blue circle above).

It's really early, and there isn't any caffeine in me, but does that make any sense?

Also, I have 24/7 access to a fully stocked machine shop so please, don't hesitate to ask. Dave, I sent you a friend request on Facebook yesterday maybe. I'm Dan H.

E: Could this work? http://www.classicpartsusa.com/category/1951_Truck_Parts_Pitman_Arms
E2: no, it won't, or not well, that's a short rear end arm for a power steering conversion.

E3: if you get the hole to hole length right, this should do ya, tapered for a tie rod end on both sides: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Corvair-Pitman-Arm,37582.html

E4: of course you'll still have to fab the mount for the steering box itself, but that seems easy enough...

glyph fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 10, 2016

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

All I can say is

HAIL SATAN

good job guys

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

glyph posted:

So, I've dug into this a little.

Since I'm unclear on the names of these things, I'm going to refer to the arm between the yellow circle and the red circle as the "pitman arm". The linkage with dashed green on it, between the red circle and the blue circle I'm going to call the "drag link".

Earlier I was talking about flipping the entire pitman arm to connect to the drag link on the frame rail side of the arm. like so:

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, the drag link is 'handed', the current one won't work.

As best i can tell under the nut (yellow in the picture above) is a splined ('chevy' splined- 32 splines total, but at 36 spline spacing with four fat splines at 90* intervals) hole that is not tapered. Is there clearance for the arm to go the other way, so it schwanks towards the frame rail? Also, as best I can tell, there isn't a taper (6 degree for chevy?) anywhere on the pitman arm, instead there's a ball that's pressed and peened into the pitman arm.

If the arm can flip around the splining without hitting the steering box or the frame rail, you'll need a new drag link that has a twist the opposite direction left vs right handed?. If the arm CAN NOT flip on the splining, as I see it, you have a few options:

* Press the ball out (details linked above), which sounds like a bit of a bitch, and press a new ball in (near the bottom of linked page) on the frame side of the pitman arm. As an aside, what happened with the ball end dealie for the clutch fork? That site, classicpartsusa has those too..

* Give up on the pitman arm you've got right now and order a pitman arm (ideally a FLAT one, without the schwank the current one has so you can set it up with the large end of the tapered hole towards the frame rail, but, if you can work with the zig going towards the frame rail side, you could run it inside out) from a 54+ steering box with a tapered drag link hole (as best as I can tell with a quick search, the splining is the same, should swap right over) and use an adjustable tie rod sleeve to deal with the left handed nature of the drag link you'll need- I say this assuming the drag link hits the steering linkage proper via a tapered hole (the interface in the blue circle above).

It's really early, and there isn't any caffeine in me, but does that make any sense?

Also, I have 24/7 access to a fully stocked machine shop so please, don't hesitate to ask. Dave, I sent you a friend request on Facebook yesterday maybe. I'm Dan H.

E: Could this work? http://www.classicpartsusa.com/category/1951_Truck_Parts_Pitman_Arms
E2: no, it won't, or not well, that's a short rear end arm for a power steering conversion.

E3: if you get the hole to hole length right, this should do ya, tapered for a tie rod end on both sides: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Corvair-Pitman-Arm,37582.html

E4: of course you'll still have to fab the mount for the steering box itself, but that seems easy enough...

This advise is better than what I said.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Memento posted:

Haha. The face got even better when I told her the adventure of the Immolated Jeep.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Snow is getting deeper. Looks like there's a job to finish.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

glyph posted:

This is a great post and this flat(ter) pitman arm seems like it would solve a lot of problems providing it fits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I still think bashing the gently caress out of those headers is by far the best solution, for this hack that is only intended to last a few days of driving to Florida. vs. buying expensive replacement parts and machining things and paying for shipping etc. and hoping everything links up right and fits well and winds up steering straight.

Like go ahead and choke off 50% of the flow of those headers if you have to, this engine will get the truck moving on four cylinders if you need it to.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo lookin like Fargo in town but I didn't see any cars spun out on fire :confused:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

poo poo lookin like Fargo in town but I didn't see any cars spun out on fire :confused:

I'm sure you can fix that little problem.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SEAT MAY HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE IN THE BEST RETARDED WAY POSSIBLE

AIM THE EXHAUST FORWARD

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LIKE A CANNON

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

SEAT MAY HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE IN THE BEST RETARDED WAY POSSIBLE

AIM THE EXHAUST FORWARD

Up here we call this the "Ontario Defrost."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Leperflesh posted:

Like go ahead and choke off 50% of the flow of those headers if you have to, this engine will get the truck moving on four cylinders if you need it to.

BANK 1 INTERNAL COMBUSTION
BANK 2 SUPERCHARGER FOR BANK 1

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You're going to get pulled over on the way to Florida and the cop's just going to :catstare: and tell you not to die before you cross out of his state.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ave Satana

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Will the hood still fit once you add pipes to that?

If so. :yaycloud:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
perfect. And you have a big bed to put the hood in so it doesn't get all burnt up by exhaust on the ride home.

attaching Van exhaust/mufflers pointing straight up is optional

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Now do this with the exhaust.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cursedshitbox posted:

Now do this with the exhaust.

:stonk::fh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blindjoe posted:

attaching Van exhaust/mufflers pointing straight up is optional

You misspelled "necessary."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/RWMXgWagn6M

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The most foul of hater pipes? :black101:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My hands keep sticking to things lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I wanna see 14 light a ciggy off the exhaust pipe as it's routed past the driver's side window.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stay hydrated so you can keep freeing yourself

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I mean... do you even have to have the headers? Can't you do without them / Isn't that what open headers are?

I know it'd be loud, but it's not a library piece.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The o2 sensor really works better when it reads only exhaust.

glad this means no steering fuckery at all is needed. SSS saves the day... and Raluek, I think, not sure if he was talking about the aftermarket headers or the factory parts.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

God I can't wait to see what the final exhaust looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

I mean... do you even have to have the headers? Can't you do without them / Isn't that what open headers are?

I know it'd be loud, but it's not a library piece.

Open header means running just headers, not literally nothing.

• Locked thread