Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Inspector Hound posted:

They're in college, i was initially remembering them being high schoolers. I'm mostly thinking about the monster as the old lady (fits with your interpretation, but also works as a young person looking forward to a time when they'll be undesirable with a kind of existential horror), the naked guy in the roof (who is not attractive, but is definitely naked, an uncomfortable image whose brief time on screen you probably spend recoiling), her friend in the bikini (representing sexual curiosity), the little boy (perhaps a representation of the innocent affection of childhood, now transformed into a tireless stalking monster), and finally the shape it takes at the end, which we don't get to see and is almost certainly her father (elektra). Her friend also gets iced when the monster turns into his step mom and, in the only scene where we get to see a kill happening, appears to have sex with him (oedipus).

This isnt saying she's "into" the monster's form at all times, it's just the inexpressible and uncomfortable feeling of this animal waking up inside of her/you/a person of a similar age. It would work better if they were in high school like i thought i remembered, but in the same breath I'll say that college is where a lot of people awaken sexually.

My interpretation of the different forms is that once you feel the bottom drop out of life and you get dropped head first into a directionless liminality, everything you experience starts signifying your sense of existential disorientation and terror and pushes you to escape any way you can, ideally by committing some ritualized act or acts that signal a close to that stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Guy Mann posted:

I have no idea what this means, unless "hipster" has lost all meaning

It has. It's so overused and misused that it doesn't signify anything anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you don't see why calling it follows a hipster horror film makes sense I don't know what to tell you.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

If you don't see why calling it follows a hipster horror film makes sense I don't know what to tell you.

It "makes sense" because hipster is a word that doesn't actually convey anything. It's been generalized into oblivion. There are threads on this forum where people enjoying the Transformer films are called hipsters, and it "makes sense" because that word doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People like to pat themselves on the back for calling the word hipster meaningless, but let's look at it follows. Retro synth soundtrack. Check. Ignoring modern technology for a retro feel. Check. Hip young people. Check. It's not even inherently a bad thing it just is what it is. If you were able to watch that movie and not get that vibe I'm sorry you don't notice things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're not wrong for saying it's a word with connotations, but they're not wrong for saying it makes you sound like a grandpa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I won't argue that. Seems like the most fitting word I can think of for it follows though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just don't see why it matters any more than, say, the characters in A Nightmare on Elm Street wearing '80s clothes. It's a movie that has traits of the era in which it was made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not really something that matters much, although it's notable because there's romanticizing of another era , something that's sort of getting run into the ground with horror right now, which is why I thought it was worth bringing up.

I'm not even the one fixating on the word hipster. I used it as a descriptor which is IMO pretty apt for that movie. For some reason goons fall all over themselves to say how meaningless of a word it is when it's really not.

I won't deny that using it makes me sound like an old dweeb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tldr: I'm tired of modern horror movies with retro synths and vintage vibes, so that aspect of it follows rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't even think it follows is a bad movie I just didn't enjoy it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm actually getting tires of the retro synth score thing too, but It Follows has easily the best one from that whole wave.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Disliking the instrumental choices and the clothing worn by the characters is a really poor reason for disliking one of the best horror movies of the past decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Disliking the instrumental choices and the clothing worn by the characters is a really poor reason for disliking one of the best horror movies of the past decade.

Agree with you on the clothes thing but music is important, especially in horror movies and double especially in a movie that emphasizes the music as much as It Follows. I love the music, but if I didn't it would certainly negatively impact my opinion of the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda done with the super minimalist, clean aesthetic now but It Follows does it better than most. (Helps that they don't make everyone super pale.)

Hipster in its current meaning is something I mostly associate with the mid to late 2000s, not so much what's hip now. Granted that aesthetic is still around.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Agree with you on the clothes thing but music is important, especially in horror movies and double especially in a movie that emphasizes the music as much as It Follows. I love the music, but if I didn't it would certainly negatively impact my opinion of the movie.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. It's just hard for me to imagine disliking a movie due to a particular instrument being used. "Pfft, a synthesizer? That's OLD. gently caress this hipster poo poo."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not an inherent dislike of that style of music for me as much as it feels really calculated, like all of a sudden a bunch of young horror filmmakers watched susperia/ carpenter/ cannibal holocaust , mutually decided it was cool, and everyone's gotta have 80s synths now and I got burned out on it really quickly.

Some of those old soundtracks are really awesome.

It follows may have a better soundtrack than I'm giving it credit for, I think I kind of immediately judged it and thought " here we go again" when the soundtrack kicked in.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's not an inherent dislike of that style of music for me as much as it feels really calculated, like all of a sudden a bunch of young horror filmmakers watched susperia/ carpenter/ cannibal holocaust , mutually decided it was cool, and everyone's gotta have 80s synths now and I got burned out on it really quickly.

Some of those old soundtracks are really awesome.

It follows may have a better soundtrack than I'm giving it credit for, I think I kind of immediately judged it and thought " here we go again" when the soundtrack kicked in.

This is basically how I felt about the Stranger Things soundtrack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:same:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Hey this new movie on Netflix called Spectral is rad as gently caress.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was gonna ask about that one. The cast looks pretty good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Pretty drat big production value. And anything with captain Pike in it is good with me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Put me down for a "It Follows" is tedious/boring and most importantly, not scary at all, vote.

So I've noticed that Netflix has bowed to pressure from Amazon and added the ability, at least on my iPad app, to download shows/movies for offline viewing.

Does anyone know whether there is a time limit on how long you can keep the file or view it? Does the Android app allow for the same?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure I'm older than all y'all and even I can't stop rolling my eyes whenever anyone calls anything "hipster".

Like, 20 years ago, and I do mean literally 20 years ago, "hipster" just meant "someone who listens to bands I've never heard of".

e: to be fair, I'm probably a hipster

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, Spectral starts out a lot like a live action final fantasy: the spirits within, turns into some badass sci-fi military adventure, and ends by basically being Titanfall 2 and it rocks really drat hard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The word has meant the same thing since the 60s or even earlier, even if some tend to totally misuse/over use it. People that call it meaningless generally think that because they have no context outside of seeing it thrown around on the internet by people that are equally naive.

I agree it's become an obnoxious word at this point and I guess I am just asking for a stupid debate by using it any context anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

The word has meant the same thing since the 60s or even earlier, even if some tend to totally misuse/over use it.

:psyduck:

Did you just own yourself?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've literally used the word once in as long as I can remember and it was totally in context. goons are just incapable of not losing it any time they see it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
On an unrelated note ,Terriers is still on Netflix and is also still one of the most perfectly made TV shows of all time.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On an unrelated note ,Terriers is still on Netflix and is also still one of the most perfectly made TV shows of all time.

This is so true and every time I see it in my queue (every day) I get so goddamn mad that it wasn't renewed

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The cancellation of Terriers is one of those modern day tragedies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blind Rasputin posted:

Military 'Ghostbusters' played straight with a great cast.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm actually getting tires of the retro synth score thing too, but It Follows has easily the best one from that whole wave.

Hey, I know the composer! He's loving great, check out his Bandcamp page (under Disasterpeace). The first entry is a soundtrack for a fictitious video game. It's from a contest I officiated on another forum over a decade ago, and it's some of my favorite driving music. (Think chiptune + live drums.) He has since created soundtracks for real games, and now this!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Spectral was really good! Netflix keeps surprising me with their original content here lately, they have their poo poo together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blind Rasputin posted:

It was a lot better than I expected, had a fun twist in the tech because the whole time I was thinking, well duh they're ghosts of course they're vulnerable to cold iron... Also I spent the whole movie waiting for him to whip that super-freeze-ray out of his rear end to kill everything but nope!

Definitely a decent watch even if the ending was pretty heavy handed

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 10, 2016

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

atholbrose posted:

I ended up really disliking The Wailing. It had already fallen into incoherence before the end presented two or three twists too many. I can dig movies without complete answers, but I like to feel like something makes sense.

I just watched this, and I can see how polarizing this can be. I like it because it feels like South Korea's The Exorcist. It's just one big mess that has a bunch of cinematic moments.

edit: It's almost like mass psychosis has swept the town and everyone's just doing things that makes no sense and somehow there's a semi-coherent plot.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 10, 2016

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hey, I know the composer! He's loving great, check out his Bandcamp page (under Disasterpeace). The first entry is a soundtrack for a fictitious video game. It's from a contest I officiated on another forum over a decade ago, and it's some of my favorite driving music. (Think chiptune + live drums.) He has since created soundtracks for real games, and now this!

Oh yeah, didn't he used to post here? I remember him posting a chiptune album back when that was a thing around 2006 or so.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

First Off, don't watch Yoga Hosers. It's not the Ghost World + Dude, Where's My Car? mashup you're hoping for.

Secondly, if you did see it, was it my imagination or did you get a gross creeper vibe?

Edit: It's on Netflix

Edit: I thought it was directed by a hack Canadian, but then it occurred to me that Canadian humor isn't usually this hacky. Turns out it's Kevin Smith.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 10, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Orunitier posted:

The Wailing is on Netflix.

Must watch. Everybody watch!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Lobster is on Amazon Prime and is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Animal House is on Netflix. Aside from the whole rape thing, still a really funny movie.