Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hmm I was on the fence about this but now that our brave boys in uniform have told me about corrupt federal domestic terrorism I'm thinking again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

kustomkarkommando posted:

hmm I was on the fence about this but now that our brave boys in uniform have told me about corrupt federal domestic terrorism I'm thinking again

the Are Vets angle is lame, but it's another example of disenfranchised voters who care about politics

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Muppets On PCP posted:

So you pride yourself on never forgetting a face?

Well, chimpanzees can do you one better.

Scientists at Leiden University in the Netherlands have discovered that chimps can recognize one another by their butts the way humans recall faces.

They detail their findings in a study called “Getting to the Bottom of Face Processing.”

“For chimpanzees, it’s all about the butt,” notes The Verge. “You won’t find a female chimp going ‘My eyes are up here,’ as it turns out that chimps often tell each other apart based on their behinds. Their brains even process butts in the same way that we process faces.”

Social animals need to be able to recognize one another quickly, and not just for identity. Humans faces communicate attractiveness and health.

Chimp buttocks supply the same type of information — as in whether a rear they see belongs to a relative or a female who is ovulating, according to LiveScience.

“Faces are enormously important for people, and all the features of our faces are optimally arranged to be seen and to communicate,” study author Mariska Kret, a neuropsychologist at Leiden University, said in a statement.

“In the course of evolution, our faces have acquired more contrast: red lips, the whites of our eyes, eyebrows and a smooth skin that makes everything more visible.”

For their experiment — which took place at a primate institute in Japan where Kret worked for nearly a year — researchers had both humans and chimpanzees match photos of various body parts — faces, butts, feet — and compared how they did.

“For example, you’d see a picture of someone’s foot and then later some other photos, and then would be asked to pick if that was the one you saw,” The Verge explained. “Some of these images were right-side-up, some were inverted. Then, they got chimps to do the same thing.

“Humans, as predicted, had the inversion effect for faces but not for butts. The chimps, on the other hand, had more trouble matching butt pictures when they were upside-down, but not face photos.”

Researchers determined that for the chimps, butts had “priority over other categories of objects,” Kret said.

Color also played an important role for the chimps, she explained in the online study.

“It is not without reason that it’s the face and buttocks of female primates that are free of hair, which makes the skin and color all the more visible,” she said.

“Primates’ eyes are perfectly set to distinguishing red tints. That’s why not only emotional expressions, such as blushing when we are angry or shy, become more visible, but also sexual arousal. It also explains why the buttocks of female chimpanzees are red.

“That may not apply to humans, but it does explain why women use lipstick and blusher.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Holy gently caress

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypcs4c7ihSo&t=87s

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Holy gently caress

Knowing that every other western nation is as bad as mine somehow isnt as comforting as Im told it should be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hahahahahahaha for real though that's some heavy bad poo poo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
LOL This is a member of the Colorado Legislature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huvAprHy70A

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

I love that we were able to have fun without being NAKED! The emphasis was on dancing not on being sexual... I would not trade yesterday's good time for today's hot mess!

hrrrmm....

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this some goebbels poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
oh poo poo, they like music and movies? how rare

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

LOL This is a member of the Colorado Legislature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huvAprHy70A

the florida on that map is all short and stubby

that's some insecurity right there

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oh poo poo, they like music and movies? how rare

i'm a big fan of mass media

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy fun.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Probably my favorite thing to do is have a good time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chelb posted:

same

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chelb posted:

I thought you hated anime.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I thought you hated anime.

keijo is rear end media

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

the paradigm shift posted:

keijo is rear end media

:shittypop:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in the manga there is a character who can use heat vision to analyze the weak points in an opponents rear end

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Can't tell if bad or really good

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Volkerball posted:

Probably my favorite thing to do is have a good time

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Boris turning into a rational adult seemingly overnight once he got a real job is the only think keeping me off the ledge re: Trump.

https://twitter.com/OliverNorgrove/status/806883785816100864

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Volkerball posted:

Boris turning into a rational adult seemingly overnight once he got a real job is the only think keeping me off the ledge re: Trump.

Ah, the Geert Wilders gambit. Classic.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Boris turning into a rational adult

Nah, he's just saying what he feels, even if it is not good realpolitik (because he's an idiot who is bad at the diplomacy game).

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Well go ahead then because he's got the job and none of his choices for advisors have been rational or adult

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah, he's just saying what he feels, even if it is not good realpolitik (because he's an idiot who is bad at the diplomacy game).

That he's not attempting "realpolitik" in the year of our Lord 2016 is exactly what makes him a smart, rational adult.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 10, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the paradigm shift posted:

Well go ahead then because he's got the job and none of his choices for advisors have been rational or adult

NUH UH HE HASN'T BEEN SWORN IN YET. Also if he just delegated all foreign policy to Mattis and Petraeus, he'd end up with quite a bit better legacy than Obama in that one regard, which is lol Obama af. But he tossed in that Michael Flynn fellow and that, that's disconcerting.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRArMeVNvA

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Volkerball posted:

That he's not attempting "realpolitik" in the year of our Lord 2016 is exactly what makes him a smart, rational adult.

So you'll be happy with Donald Trump's presidency - glad to hear.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'll just gonna leave this here for future reference.

https://www.rootclaim.com

Per mathematica ad veritas. :v:

It's also the ultimate anti Volkerball site, because it uses math to challenge American narratives as well.

Randler fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 10, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Horseshoe theory posted:

So you'll be happy with Donald Trump's presidency - glad to hear.

The quintessential realpolitik administration is Reagans. If you can't see any room for improvement from that, I don't know what to tell you.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I didn't know they were making a new wallabies logo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

these flag referendums are getting weird

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't have pegged you for a Realpolitik fan vb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Randler posted:

I'll just gonna leave this here for future reference.

https://www.rootclaim.com

Per mathematica ad veritas. :v:

It's also the ultimate anti Volkerball site, because it uses math to challenge American narratives as well.

quote:

Who carried out the chemical attack in Ghouta on August 21, 2013?

On August 21, 2013, rockets with chemical payloads landed around the neighborhood of Zamalka, located in Ghouta (an agricultural area outside of Damascus), resulting in hundreds of civilian casualties. A UN team visited the area and confirmed that... (More)

Hypotheses Conclusion
1. Opposition forces in Syria carried out the chemical attack from a field located approximately 2 km north of Zamalka. 92.3% (Likely)
2. A pro-government militia carried out the chemical attack from a field located approximately 2 km north of Zamalka. 6.2% (Unlikely)
3. The Syrian Army carried out the chemical attack from a base that belongs to the 104th Brigade of Syria's Republican Guard. 1.1% (Highly unlikely)
4. The Syrian Army carried out the chemical attack from an open field near north Jobar. 0.3% (Extremely unlikely)

Being good at math makes you smart and well-reasoned, and that's why all kids need to know how to factor quadratic equations. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

I wouldn't have pegged you for a Realpolitik fan vb

What do you mean? That was a pretty clear anti-realpolitik statement

• Locked thread