Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Safety Biscuits posted:

What are some good Tintin books to start with? A friend said he liked Hergé's art style so I thought I'd get him one or two for Christmas.

Anything but Tintin in the Congo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Safety Biscuits posted:

What are some good Tintin books to start with? A friend said he liked Hergé's art style so I thought I'd get him one or two for Christmas.

Try The Black Isle. It's a fun adventure story about a counterfeiting ring and avoids the awkward political issues that plague some of the other early stories, and has some of the best art.

E: Other good choices are The Crab With the Golden Claws (which introduces Haddock), The Secret of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's Treasure (about Haddock's family history; together with the previous story they formed the basis for the movie), and Cigars of the Pharaohs / The Blue Lotus (which introduces Thomson and Thompson (to be precise, they are introduced in the first story), and Chang, and is where Herge started to have better political ideas).

The AVClub had a good rundown on where to start with them too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 1, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Safety Biscuits posted:

This one seems timely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Daredevil still OK? I'm thinking of subscribing to something for next year and I don't want anything that requires me to read a bunch of other magazines as well. Any other recommendations for a single title to get are welcome.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks guys.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Try The Black Isle. It's a fun adventure story about a counterfeiting ring and avoids the awkward political issues that plague some of the other early stories, and has some of the best art.

E: Other good choices are The Crab With the Golden Claws (which introduces Haddock), The Secret of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's Treasure (about Haddock's family history; together with the previous story they formed the basis for the movie), and Cigars of the Pharaohs / The Blue Lotus (which introduces Thomson and Thompson (to be precise, they are introduced in the first story), and Chang, and is where Herge started to have better political ideas).

The AVClub had a good rundown on where to start with them too.

This was a great post, thank you very much!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Any other recommendations for a single title to get are welcome.

What sort of thing do you want to read?

Mark Waid's previous DD's runs before Charles Soule's current one are much more enjoyable (in at least as much of the new run I read before I dropped off,) but Soule's previous Marvel lawyer comic, She-Hulk was great.

E: There are a few small crossovers in those DD runs, but nothing huge.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think his DD is fine but he follows three excellent writers...

Soule's She Hulk is great and the art is gorgeous too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

What sort of thing do you want to read?

Mark Waid's previous DD's runs before Charles Soule's current one are much more enjoyable (in at least as much of the new run I read before I dropped off,) but Soule's previous Marvel lawyer comic, She-Hulk was great.

E: There are a few small crossovers in those DD runs, but nothing huge.

Oh I don't really care what it is as long as the story-lines don't cross over to other titles all the time and the art doesn't look like rear end. Of course if there's a Hulk in it that's a plus.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is Daredevil still OK? I'm thinking of subscribing to something for next year and I don't want anything that requires me to read a bunch of other magazines as well. Any other recommendations for a single title to get are welcome.

The art is loving unreal. It carried the book through the first arc. Story wise it's getting much better and the current arc is great.

Issue 4 showed signs of how good Soule can write DD. If you like that issue, you'll love from issue 8 onwards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh I don't really care what it is

Well, that makes it very hard!

Read Tom King's The Vision, I guess. That's a safe one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh I don't really care what it is as long as the story-lines don't cross over to other titles all the time and the art doesn't look like rear end. Of course if there's a Hulk in it that's a plus.

May I recommend Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows? It's a pretty safe bet to say that's not going to get dragged into a whole bunch of crossovers and Stegman is killing it on the art.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks for the answers. The Vision doesn't seem to be a title one can subscribe to, however.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's already finished. You can get the trades for it though if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Vol-Little-Worse-Than/dp/0785196579/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481707027&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Vision
https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Vol-Little-Better-Beast/dp/0785196587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481707027&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Vision

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thanks for the answers. The Vision doesn't seem to be a title one can subscribe to, however.

Any info on what you like would help us to throw current series at you.
Till then, an easy one. I think Superman is the most crowd thing around since relaunching this year. Pretty much nobody doesn't like it.
https://www.comixology.com/Superman-2016/comics-series/71627?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
Green Arrow is almost there too.
https://www.comixology.com/Green-Arrow-2016/comics-series/71624?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Outside of Supers, try Southern Bastards.
https://www.comixology.com/Southern-Bastards/comics-series/16054?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How's Moon Knight after Ellis leaves?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's written by Brian Wood, so competent without being anything special and it makes me continue wondering why people like Brian Wood's work so much.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I actually really enjoyed the rest of the that Moon Knight run--also Cullen Bunn takes over from Wood towards the end. I do think Bunn's handful of issues were stronger, to be fair.

The series manages to do some very interesting things with the nature of Khonshu as Moon God and all that entails and his relationship with Marc Spector and his more supernatural role as a hero. And the art continues to kick rear end, imo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What can anyone tell me about Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

It's written by Brian Wood, so competent without being anything special and it makes me continue wondering why people like Brian Wood's work so much.

Northlanders was dece?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Skwirl posted:

Northlanders was dece?

What I read of that was fine and OK but everything else just seems kinda mediocre. The Massive, for example was a decent idea that spun its wheels before crashing off a cliff at the end.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Hey all, I'm looking for arcs in the classic "truth, justice, and the American way" style. Something to give me hope in the coming weeks. I recently picked up Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary and Supergirl: Being Super, as well as Hyperion #1 and #2. Any other recommendations?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Huck
https://www.amazon.com/Huck-Mark-Millar/dp/1632157292

Superman: American Alien
https://www.amazon.com/Superman-American-Alien-Max-Landis/dp/1401262562

of course, All-Star Superman, if you haven't read it.

Squirrel Girl is a really positive and fun hero who's book is full of superheroics with zero angst.

The current Superman series is mostly about him positively raising his super kid. There was a great issue where the they're just hanging out at a county fair https://www.comixology.com/Superman-2016-7/digital-comic/397933?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 4, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know this question comes up a bunch but: My nine year old niece read Roller Girl and really liked it and my sister asked me to recommend some more comics for kids. The first thing I thought of was Marvel Adventures but apparently she doesn't like Marvel stuff, or (doesn't think she does drat kid doesn't know what's good for her ¬_¬) She's a voracious reader so something that has a lot of content would be great.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

zoux posted:

I know this question comes up a bunch but: My nine year old niece read Roller Girl and really liked it and my sister asked me to recommend some more comics for kids. The first thing I thought of was Marvel Adventures but apparently she doesn't like Marvel stuff, or (doesn't think she does drat kid doesn't know what's good for her ¬_¬) She's a voracious reader so something that has a lot of content would be great.

Lumberjanes

i know of none beyond that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Battling Boy
Abigail and the Snowman (starring a 9-yr old girl!)

Nimona
Atomic Robo

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 6, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herobear and the Kid

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hells, yes!

Princeless? I don't know what age range that book aims for.

Bone!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah Bone duh. Also thanks fellas for the recommendations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If Roller Girl was about skating, she may get into Slam, a new comic about roller derby https://www.comixology.com/SLAM-1/digital-comic/435810?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM
I'd maybe class it as an early teen comic, she may be a little too young. It does lightly refer to sexuality, and I'm sure there'll be a gay relationship or two (maybe it's not a subject to broach yet) but it's full of confident ladies to aspire to, themes of friendship and should be real exciting for a lil' skater girl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 6, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Slam seems to be a good book but theres only two issues and the last panel of 2 is literally the protag yelling "i got laid!!!" after hooking up with a dude the page prior so maybe its bit too old for a nine year old

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kid-friendly comics that are pretty great:

Compass South
Little Nemo: Return To Slumberland
Snow White (Matt Phelan)
The Nameless City
Three Thieves series (Scott Chantler)
Fantasy Sports
Mouse Guard
Hereville series (Barry Deutsch)
Zita The Spacegirl
Cleopatra In Space
El Deafo
Anything by Raina Telgemeier

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Little Nemo: Return To Slumberland

Get the hardcover and not the undersized TPB. :(

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Not a Wolverine fan, but I needed some extra reading material and decided to ask a friend who works at a comic shop what trade of any era to pick up. His top pick was Wolverine: Enemy of the State. Holy poo poo. It's really really good. Epic arc, twists and turns, great characterization, fun art. And then after the main arc, there's a great one-off story that is completely unrelated. I definitely recommend to anyone, Wolverine fan or not, Marvel fan or not, Superhero comic fan or not. If you like the combination of words and art, you can get enjoyment out of this one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jason Aaron's Wolverine run was good. I also hear good things about the current Wolverine series, though I only read like three issues of it so far.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Uthor posted:

Jason Aaron's Wolverine run was good. I also hear good things about the current Wolverine series, though I only read like three issues of it so far.

The short arc in Aaron's run where Wolverine and Fat Cobra journey to the center of the earth to fight an opium dealer and her herd of dragons is one of my favorite little stories.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I'm trying to hunt down the name of a comic I read... I think earlier this year, or maybe last? In any case, I only read the first issue. From what I recall, the plot took place in World War 2, but time travel was involved, I think one of the main characters traveled back in time and took on the role of a spy or something. Every search I do to try and find the title just leads me to Kieron Gillen's Uber, but it was more spy-thriller with sci-fi twist. I'm sorry my explanation's a bit vague, I think I picked it up and had a look at my local store, but I didn't buy it, obviously. Can anyone help?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Vindicator posted:

I'm trying to hunt down the name of a comic I read... I think earlier this year, or maybe last? In any case, I only read the first issue. From what I recall, the plot took place in World War 2, but time travel was involved, I think one of the main characters traveled back in time and took on the role of a spy or something. Every search I do to try and find the title just leads me to Kieron Gillen's Uber, but it was more spy-thriller with sci-fi twist. I'm sorry my explanation's a bit vague, I think I picked it up and had a look at my local store, but I didn't buy it, obviously. Can anyone help?

Archangel? https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/archangel-1/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

William Gibson?! :eyepop:

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

You are the absolute greatest, thank you! I think I had convinced myself it must have been an Image book, so I spent a couple of hours trawling comiclist for the last eight months of Image #1s and didn't find it, obviously. Thanks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I'm interested in Moon Knight. What tpbs should I look for?