Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have a favorite 333 ap skill to unlock? I'm about to start post game and was trying to decide between point blank warp strike, airdancer, health level 3, or quick tech. I can't see critical link being worth it to take first.

Warp strike killing low level stuff seems to be the fastest way to farm ap so far, they're really easy to chain together to kill a pack of 5 mobs in no time.

Airdancer is probably the most powerful of the lot but yeah warp strike would speed up farming enemies for AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have a favorite 333 ap skill to unlock? I'm about to start post game and was trying to decide between point blank warp strike, airdancer, health level 3, or quick tech. I can't see critical link being worth it to take first.

Warp strike killing low level stuff seems to be the fastest way to farm ap so far, they're really easy to chain together to kill a pack of 5 mobs in no time.

Quick tech, point blank warp and airdancer are good. I wouldn't really bother with the health one as a priority.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Point blank warp and airdancer are both good. Just depends on how you like to to fight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Wow, Chapter 8 is only 5 minutes long. I guess they had to make more room for chapter 13.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Should I just get real used to getting one shot in the post game content?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Should I just get real used to getting one shot in the post game content?

Slap on some HP+ accessories and maybe rotate your defensive accessories based on what you're fighting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Food buffs to prevent status effects or gain invulnerability to elemental damage can help tremendously in endgame too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

About how best to level up fast:

quote:

Use ur rare/debased coins and banknotes to make Expericast lv96-99 (use only 1 fire or ice or lightning)
It takes 8 rare coins to make 5x lv96 expericast spell
And 25 debased coins to make 9x lv99 expericast spell iirc
Eat 2x exp food(cook or eat in altissia)
Save in hammerhead
Equip the worst weapon on everyone(can buy them in hammerhead)
Head north to fight bandersnatch
Cast as many expericast as you can
Warp back to hammerhead to save
Load your game there and bandersnatch will respawn
Repeat

Rest in 3x exp hotel when you are done

You can get close to 200k exp per kill if you can manage to keep it alive long enough to cast expericast 6 or 7 times

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Finally finished that dungeon, after like four hours and 5 in-game days. I hope the boys weren't worried.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

About how best to level up fast:

I'm reasonably sure that expericast gives a flat amount of XP per cast for a given power level regardless of what you're fighting or how many you use in one battle, so there's no point specifically going after the bandersnatch. You can just blow up any random monsters for the same result.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah once you get to the end of the game just use allll your expericast stuff to make 1 potency spells in every slot, eat 100% xp food, and blow them all in whatever order on whatever enemies without resting. Then rest at the 3x hotel once, and if you aren't 99 you'll be high enough that you don't really ever need to worry about going out of your way explicitly to level (somebody claimed the biggest stat gains from leveling are in the 40-60 range and then they taper off hard, which appeared to be true to me).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That's true that the expericasts are flat, but the bandersnatch is a good idea since it's got so much HP that your teammates don't kill it while you're running around popping all the expericasts.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Finished up Chapter 13 and kind of underwhelmed. I was expecting the worst thing ever from this thread. Instead it was really cool and atmospheric for about 60 minutes, boring for 30, and then cool again when you kick a lot of rear end.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

arisu posted:

I just beat this game.

This is probably now my second favorite Final Fantasy, after 9. It was an absolute blast to play, beginning to rushed end.

I agree with everyone on the story beats. Chapters 9-14 were incredibly rushed, and a huge mess. Chapter 13 dragged way too long, though I feel that the people that say it is the worst videogame experience ever are probably exaggerating a bit. I actually appreciated the atmosphere, and had a lot of fun with that chapter for maybe the first 90 minutes. After that though I was about ready to move on. I actually thought the story was a pretty good story, just told extremely poorly.

Chapter 14 was totally great. I actually felt the monsters were a fair bit challenging which was fun for a change in the story missions. The last few bosses were kind of pushovers though.

I just beat it myself and I mostly agree with this post. It's funny how I started off not caring much for this game but it entirely won me over. Probably going to end up my game of the year. The weirdness of chapters 8-13 didn't even really bother me any, but then all the things that annoyed people in 13 didn't bother me either.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 10, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

57 hours in this game, did not know you could put more than one of an item into elemancy until reading this page.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cams posted:

57 hours in this game, did not know you could put more than one of an item into elemancy until reading this page.

Yeah I found this out a couple days ago and it changed everything about the game for me.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Prompto No what are you doing

https://twitter.com/Konjuro/status/807511480308482048

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the lighting in this one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know if they intended for 'THAT'S IT I'VE COME UP WITH A NEW RECIPE' to achieve such memetic status but it's beautiful.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't know if they intended for 'THAT'S IT I'VE COME UP WITH A NEW RECIPE' to achieve such memetic status but it's beautiful.

It's how it pops up in completely inappropriate situations like Ignis emerging from an explosion, covered in soot and proclaiming about RECIPEYS combined with the voice acting. It's lovely

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I had a Prompto picture with such a massive lens flare in the middle I couldn't tell what it was. I have to assume he took a picture of the sun.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dude. Are you seriously trying to kill me.

There are so many reasons to hate Ardyn... but I can't.

To be fair, that is Prompto saying that. But having Ardyn deadpan it makes it hilarious.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Gumball Gumption posted:

Finished up Chapter 13 and kind of underwhelmed. I was expecting the worst thing ever from this thread. Instead it was really cool and atmospheric for about 60 minutes, boring for 30, and then cool again when you kick a lot of rear end.
I still stand firmly by it being trash

poo poo in my pants run and back tracking with unavoidable QTE jump "scares", spending nearly 2 hours on a chapter, but only slightly addressing one of the many many story elements left unaddressed, and the random rear end plot 'twist' that is ignored.

Atmosphere consisting of a copy paste of when ffx did this with yuna beneath bevelle but that lasted what maybe 20 minutes? (like tales of symphonia also did it better, i think it was trip 3 to tower of salvation? possibly trip 2)

Narrow corridor combat still isn't this game specialty, either.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Triarii posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned about coeurls: Unless I'm mistaken, their instant-kill move is actually a counterattack. They'll run off a bit of a distance from the fight, and then stop moving (they might actually sit down, I'm not sure). If you approach and hit them while they're stationary, you'll die instantly. As soon as I stopped chasing them when they ran off like that, fighting them became pretty reasonable. I actually did the hunt against 5 of them at like level 28 because I wanted that upgrade material (it mostly involved parrying a ton and using techniques until one of them fell down and became vulnerable, and then whaling on it).

They also have an undodgeable AOE lightning attack that's pretty nasty, but that isn't an instant kill.

While they run off they are also healing (unless I'm bugging i saw one doing it, then saw its health going up), so thats kinda why you'd be tempted to counter attack.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

While they run off they are also healing (unless I'm bugging i saw one doing it, then saw its health going up), so thats kinda why you'd be tempted to counter attack.

The game also conditions you to warp strike things that are far away for a bigger damage bonus, so coeurls are a definite "pay attention, this fight works differently" moment. I actually got excited when I started fighting them because I thought the game was finally starting to get serious and introduce new mechanics to fights, but sadly I don't recall much else that made me actually think differently about how to approach a fight, at least in the main game.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

SectumSempra posted:

That's when it will do its blaster attack. You can see it occur in the arena because the coeurl will run off and lie down, but if anything comes after it then it'll whip its whiskers and kill the monster instantly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Tonight's events:

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/807516515725545472

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/807531513961009152

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

So, the empire now thinks it's cool to send invisible ships to drop 14 level 47 guys with instant kill attacks in on me while I'm fighting something else. And apparently this enemy group is going to show up in 50% of all random battles from now on. What exactly am I supposed to do about this?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Get good?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Blizzaga and get better at abusing invulnerability frames/parrying.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Prompto can't be taught.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DalaranJ posted:

So, the empire now thinks it's cool to send invisible ships to drop 14 level 47 guys with instant kill attacks in on me while I'm fighting something else. And apparently this enemy group is going to show up in 50% of all random battles from now on. What exactly am I supposed to do about this?

You're aware that you can run from battles? Also tricast spells should blow those groups up quick.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How do you reliably warp to one of the hanging spots? I try to aim at it and it just shoots me in a different direction. Any time I try to lock on, it locks on to an enemy instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

I mean, they're the Empire. They don't need to fight fair.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Monster betting is fun but I'm sooooo bad at it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

How do you reliably warp to one of the hanging spots? I try to aim at it and it just shoots me in a different direction. Any time I try to lock on, it locks on to an enemy instead.

Hold the warp button instead of pressing. If the icon for a hang spot is on your screen you'll warp to that spot.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Hold the button while pointing in the vague direction of the hang point.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
And I just did the first little Dog Tag quest and I tried to get in my car to drive off and it will only let me fast travel? How do I drive my car myself now? :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

And I just did the first little Dog Tag quest and I tried to get in my car to drive off and it will only let me fast travel? How do I drive my car myself now? :(

Play the game more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Holy poo poo if you do side quests you get insanely over leveled. I'm in chapter 3 and level 30.

• Locked thread