Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought that CA asked people to make sure their drivers were updated for this new DLC. I'd wait and see if they come up with a hotfix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
This games becomes less stable for me with every update. When it came out I could tab out, but now the game inevitably crashes if I do. I also have random crashes in multiplayer.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The first rule of Total War Warhammer Grand Campaign: You eliminate the Crooked Moon ASAP.

The second rule of Total War Warhammer Grand Campaign: You eliminate the Crooked Moon ASAP.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

I wish the Chaos campaign was good because playing as Kholek and just stomping on everything you see is a good feeling.

Here is a little guiide to playing Kholek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEM523JZtg

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I don't understand people saying WE units are bad. I've not had any trouble with eternal guard holding the line while glade guard and other archers pelt everything with arrows. I've had plenty of battles against orcs and beastmen where I've been severely outnumbered in terms of infantry but still came out on top. Orion starts with really solid abilities which together with archers rout enemies super easy when they're bunched up in melee. Wild Riders are also extremely good.

Eternal guard and glade guard are both really solid T1 units.

Fantastic.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think WElves should be given something that reduces, or maybe even eliminates arrow based friendly fire. Maybe just give it to certain units like wardancers and the more elite melee elves. Or hell, give it to the higher tier archers so I've actually got an incentive to upgrade my archers.

edit: Hawkriders really need to start firing faster when they get in range, and fire more rapidly in general. loving trebuchets could turn and fire quicker.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 10, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update still hot garbage at this game, tried to do Empire, because someone said start out as empire.

Holy poo poo, so much Micro managing Cavalry, Mages, Archers, and the like.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm usually pretty drat stable but crashing three times in one morning is soul crushing. Hopefully CA works out the kinks with this patch quickly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thoughts on Welves from a not great multiplayer player that I've been noticing:

-Good composition and arrangement of bow units are both really important. Taking into account range, poison, or AP, followed by firing direction and ormation are important. Something simple like a 360 degree firing radius is a useful thing to put on your flank to catch units trying to get around your sides while putting a long line of poison arrows in the center to poison charging units can work wonders for instance.

-Good abilities for Lords. Glade lords get a type of ability similar to Net of Amyntok that also decreases missile resistance of units. Tree lords can heal friendlies. Orion has a bombardment and Gehenna-style ability, neither of which use magic. Durthu has a big fuckoff tree laser that's pretty potent, and is benefited greatly by the fact that he fires from an elevated position. There's a bunch of other ones, but Welves have a distinct advantage when it comes to the abilities of its Lords.

-Buffing/debuffing units are very important in melee engagements. I know it goes without saying, but it goes doubly for the Elves. Elves can't hold out long, but whatever you can do to use their sizable damage ouput against the enemy through buffs and debuffs is an important part of playing them. Spells like Miasma and Flock of Doom along with Durthu's two offensive skills should be put to use in breaking down enemy units as well.

-Despite pubbies complaining, Wild Riders are good. They've got Frenzy that puts them on par with more expensive units, and are really quick, especially in forests.

-Not a fan of their missile cavalry though that's kind of par for Warhammer. That's mostly player preference though. Hagsbane Glade Riders are nice as poison slows down pursuing units that you can harass, though.

-Really nice selection of monsters. Forest Dragons are really powerful, especially especially as mounts for units that can heal themselves. Tree Kin are a nice price for how strong they are. Eagles are good bodyguards for flying Lords. And I've had it happen several times where

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RentACop posted:

Yeah they want to be left alone but they'll screw with the other factions when it suits their purpose. The Geheimnisnacht ck2 mod gave the wood elves the ability to just join unrelated wars when they feel like it so sometimes you'll be an elector fighting for control of the Empire or whatever and you'll get a letter saying "Hey we're gonna help you because we're inscrutable and weird jerks"

Also : "Heh, autoresolve, classic goons always whining about the slightest ch-"

:catstare:

Should've applied the banner, dude.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is ambushing broken? Orion is being detected every turn, at anything between 45% and 90% success chance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sassassin posted:

Is ambushing broken? Orion is being detected every turn, at anything between 45% and 90% success chance.

Well, he kind of stands out. He's like a 9 foot tall moose man who's constantly shouting about traitors.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this DLC is good but mostly because now Kholek and Grimgor have more poo poo to smash.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

sassassin posted:

I've had an ambush come off playing WElves so I assume it's not broken - but single point of data doesn't say much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Turtlicious posted:

Update still hot garbage at this game, tried to do Empire, because someone said start out as empire.

Try Dwarfs. They're probably the least micro-intensive faction. Also, put your archers on guard mode if you aren't already. It'll stop them chasing routing enemies and getting caught up in the melee line. Instead they'll just pick a new target by themselves.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Dezztroy posted:

I don't understand people saying WE units are bad. I've not had any trouble with eternal guard holding the line while glade guard and other archers pelt everything with arrows. I've had plenty of battles against orcs and beastmen where I've been severely outnumbered in terms of infantry but still came out on top. Orion starts with really solid abilities which together with archers rout enemies super easy when they're bunched up in melee. Wild Riders are also extremely good.

Eternal guard and glade guard are both really solid T1 units.

Yeah, I've had 0 issues playing VH/VH. Just use a frontline of Eternal Guards with Shields and then pelt them with arrows. I don't get the complaints.

It helps that Orions army gets brokenly OP towards the end of the game since he can invest in both the ranged and melee army buff tree so your Eternal Guard will feel like Ironbreakers, your archers will melt units by glancing at them and your Waywatcher will snipe enemy Lords like he was spamming prenerf spirit leech. But even before you get to that point the roster still feels solid enough.

(units costing amber is dumb though)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

I've had an ambush come off playing WElves so I assume it's not broken - but single point of data doesn't say much.

I've had one deepway forest path interception and once a beastman army walked right past Orion, but other than that it's constant detection and flee.

How am I supposed to get rid of those beastman artillery units effectively as Elves?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gonkish posted:

Jesus christ, I don't know what it is but after the patch the game just absolutely, positively refuses to let me loving play for any extended period of time (i.e., longer than a minute). It crashes randomly and for no reason. End turn? Crash. Someone attacked you? Crash. The AI moved somewhere? Crash. A stiff breeze? Crash. I can't do poo poo and it just never stops crashing. I've updated drivers, removed all mods, etc. Crash crash crash crash crash. :smithicide:

I've got the latest AMD drivers (the 16.12.1). No mods, etc. Not really sure, it might be the RX480 drivers not playing nice? I have no idea.

I'm not sure if it was the patch or a driver update, but I noticed my video settings changed seemingly by themselves at some point so you may want to check them.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

sassassin posted:

I've had one deepway forest path interception and once a beastman army walked right past Orion, but other than that it's constant detection and flee.

How am I supposed to get rid of those beastman artillery units effectively as Elves?

Stuff with anti-large and/or with ranged units. Cygores aren't terribly hearty units, and they'll quite often buckle and retreat pretty quickly. There's also a spell I forget which unit has it that decreases accuracy by something like 60%

sassassin posted:

I noticed this, too. Either he's easily detectable or other units are more easily able to detect him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Plan Z posted:

Stuff with anti-large and/or with ranged units. Cygores aren't terribly hearty units, and they'll quite often buckle and retreat pretty quickly. There's also a spell I forget which unit has it that decreases accuracy by something like 60%

Do any anti-large units have vanguard deployment? Arrows aren't doing jack.

Those things are killing more elves than anything else so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

Waywatchers hosed them up fast and then Wild Riders cycle charging them from a flank once the main Gor herd gets too far away. A Sister of the Thorn dropping the speed/accuracy debuff on them can neuter them if you can't kill them immediately too.

By the way, people looking to reduce their friendly fire incidents should look into using the Thorn armor spell. Buffs melee damage and missile resistance, so pretty perfect for a unit stuck in that you're also pelting with arrows. That said, I'd really like to see higher tier archers get way higher accuracy even if they get nerfed in other ways to compensate just for thematic reasons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

sassassin posted:

You mean the Cygors? Focused ranged fire can do them in pretty well. They've got a large hitbox and not all that much armour, so a whole bunch of arrows can do the trick despite their large health pool. Glade Riders, Hawk Riders, and/or the Waystalker hero can all get into range early on, and will also usually keep its rocks away from your more densely clustered other units.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was hoping a turtle up and just defend the Oak campaign would be really fun but actually it sucks. I don't understand how anyone can play in heavily wooded maps. I have to pause every 20 seconds just to figure out where my troops are and what's going on with the battle. If I could just dig up that oak and move it to say, the middle of the wastelands, it would be so good.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I played a VC counts campaign today and when I got to Altdorf everything was covered in elves.

I then had some of the most fun battles I'd ever had against the insane Elven doomstack clusters. Motherfuckers brought six forest dragons to the party. Orien was with a stack of 19 Wild Riders. Vlad and Manfred were fighting back to back in the middle of a vast herd of Blood Dragons.

Game is good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Turtlicious posted:

Stick with mostly swordsmen armies with crossbow behind as two rows. Organise your formation well in the deployment phase and lock the formation of the main body of your troops so you don't need to worry about them. Make sure you know the formation movement commands.

Don't feel bad about using the slo mo and pause liberally.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm so happy.

Thanks Dwarfs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dwarves and elves, natural bros.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Corrode posted:

Dwarves and elves, natural bros.

That actually works out for these ones. Wood Elves just wanna stay in their forest and get high on plants, Dwarves just wanna stay in their mines and get drunk on ale. And both enjoy loving with the humies when the opportunity comes up.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Elfs and elf, doesn't matter if he's got twigs in his hair.

Dwarves can't tell the difference between the different sorts of elves, or more likely, don't care. They want them all dead.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Something non-elf to report: Marienburg's wall towers are not firing and have not done so for over a month now.

Apparently the same is happening in Akendorf, but i personally have not seen this yet.

It is not Mod-related as i started a fresh Empire game without any mods on just so i could test this out; The Marienburg walls have no capture points and this leads to the towers simply not firing, ever.

Its a new issue since patch4 and is still here in patch5, it seems to be related to the very map that Marienburg and Akendorf use.

Quite annoying :/

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dwarfs can totally tell the differences between the elves, during the war of the beard(dwarfs vs high elves) they were at peace with Athel Loren.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I don't think wood elves existed at the time of the war of the beard, they changed into their current state from High Elves living in athel loren who refused to return to ulthuan when the rest of the elves decided they'd had enough.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dwarfs from the Vaults/Karak Norn occasionally intrude on Athel Loren's borders for supplies, though usually only in desperation. Dwarfs never use wood for construction (if you can't build it out of metal, it's nonsense that's just not worth making), so they tend to leave the Elves hump their trees in peace.

I think Clan Angrund's friendliness in the Grand Campaign is just game mechanics though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Now that there's no potions of toughness Exalted heroes are finally useful again!
Except that despite costing 300 more than empire captains and having higher stats across the board than them, they go even with captains for some reason. Even with marks of Khorne.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
sometime during the last patch someone posted screens of the map expanding in tiny bits and pieces. Has any more been added to the edges?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Nanomashoes posted:

Now that there's no potions of toughness Exalted heroes are finally useful again!
Except that despite costing 300 more than empire captains and having higher stats across the board than them, they go even with captains for some reason. Even with marks of Khorne.

Mark of Khorne is no match for fancy pants and big mustaches

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I was hoping a turtle up and just defend the Oak campaign would be really fun but actually it sucks. I don't understand how anyone can play in heavily wooded maps. I have to pause every 20 seconds just to figure out where my troops are and what's going on with the battle. If I could just dig up that oak and move it to say, the middle of the wastelands, it would be so good.

You may already know this but -

If you hold down space bar the panel on the right includes options to turn off tree foliage, including an option to have tree foliage off at all times (even without holding spacebar). Now it still is confusing because this only turns off the tree foliage near your camera but it's something.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

You may already know this but -

If you hold down space bar the panel on the right includes options to turn off tree foliage, including an option to have tree foliage off at all times (even without holding spacebar). Now it still is confusing because this only turns off the tree foliage near your camera but it's something.

There is a map in the Athel Loren area (i want to say right outside King's Glade) that is a literal sea of trees, the first time it loaded up for me i nearly went bug eyed.

Hide foilage did nearly nothing because there are so many goddamned tree trunks and your units are green coloured and oh god..

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So the typical elf build seems to be:
4 Treekin
4 Eternal guard
4 glade guard
an airforce
branch wraith

And they use life magic on the treekin line to be tanky as hell while the spears protect the archers. I think the counters to it are either winning in the air (which is pretty tough if the glade guard are focusing you) or having a unit to smash through the spear line and get into the arrows. I've been using chariots to pretty good effect, with their buffs they become archer murdering machines. Don't forget to chase the glade guard completely off the field if you can, archers coming back later is a problem. As Chaos I like Archaon a lot for ground, or a chaos lord on a dragon with a fire sorcerer in the air to boost the fire damage if you're contesting the air, with manticore buddies of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
My wood elf mini campaign seems to be broken

I'd saved up all my amber before improving the tree which meant that as soon as i'd killed the initial 4 stacks, I went ahead with upgrading the rest of the way. And that seems to have broken the campaign. No option for the final battle (Silver Spire), as it's still greyed out.

• Locked thread