Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Anyone who bitches about Lindelof has probably never read the spaihts script of Prometheus that he was asked to fix, which is breathtakingly terrible on every level

The first script was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
People complaining why the scientists in Prometheus are so bad clearly haven't spent a lot of time in academia.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

The first script was better.

link?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Its pretty easy to find on the internet, every thing Sleuth said about it is true but it would of been a lovely action movie instead of a lovely drama.

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/Alien-Engineers-ORIGINAL-PROMETHEUS-SCRIPT.pdf
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23428/how-alien-engineers-differs-from-prometheus

I prefer how weyland is after the terraforming technology that the aliens have and not to live forever. It makes the title Prometheus actually fit the story.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 10, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

oldpainless posted:

I just finished watching Prometheus with a friend who had never seen it and he liked it for the most part. However he did have some questions for me. Some of these questions were

How did the guy making the map get lost?
Why was there a big head in the ship?
Why was Vickers such a bitch?
Why did the Engineers hate people?
Why did Shaw think the engineers hated people when she had no knowledge of them?
Why is Shaw such a bad scientist?
Why did Holloway take off his helmet on an unknown planet? That seemed super dangerous.
Why did the captain seem bored the entire movie? They discovered life and there's a video of these alien bodies piled up and the captain is looking at the screen like he's watching a lecture about math.
Why are all these people so bad at their jobs?

These were all actually asked and while I explained the first few it quickly become a losing battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

married but discreet posted:

People complaining why the scientists in Prometheus are so bad clearly haven't spent a lot of time in academia.

Or the people complaining about that guy getting friendly with the Alien snake. Did you know that there was this guy called Steve Irwin that did the same thing?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thing about Lindelof is that he's mostly a glorified script doctor. He's hired to salvage troubled projects that are too far along in production or on two tight a timeline to make drastic changes. Studios hire him to make troubled projects financially successful with minimal extra costs, and he's very good at that. The fact that he's willing to take the blame to keep the other filmmakers' careers clean is also one of his selling points.

As a result, it's hard to look to evaluate him as a writer based on most of his film output. Projects like The Leftovers are some of the few that can be clearly evaluated.

All that said, him being hired onto a film that had a previous writer is still a bad sign. Not because he's poo poo, but because it means the film is likely already in a bad way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Daryl from the waking dead is in Mimic.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I personally thought Prometheus was about the perils of capitalism and private-venture gone wrong, where spending a lot of money on a fancy ship and having a wealthy benefactor didn't mean you were going to do a good job. The crew ended up being a bunch of people who weren't that great at their jobs and a whole lot of stuff went wrong that could have been avoided if they had showed more restraint.
But I've only seen it once and that was when it came out and don't consider it worth a re-watch, whereas all the other Alien movies, yes even Resurrection, are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Battuta posted:

The only thing Lindelof's script added that I really detest is making it a Christmas movie.

Yeah but now it makes a great triple feature with Lethal Weapon and Die Hard. :)

Ixian posted:

30+ years since the last truly great Alien movie. Frankly I am amazed the AVP poo poo didn't kill it off for good.

Scott is one of the worlds most maddeningly inconsistent directors who can veer from greatness to what-was-he-thinking on the drop of a dime, sometimes even in the same movie. So while I'm cautiously excited for Covenant I'm not going to get too worked up about it. People went nuts for Prometheus prior to its release too.

It's true I don't even read beyond a headline when I see an article is just a list of reactions to a screening or some test footage anymore. It's always going to be people that are mega-hyped so they're going to be blown away no matter what. There were a ton of articles about how BvS was going to be the best movie based on a comic ever made based on early screening reactions and possible Oscar attention. I liked it but LMAO.

married but discreet posted:

Truest thing ever said. I have so many anecdotes about this just from the brief time I did some freelance work at a university that I think it's a major reason why this never bothers in Prometheus or plenty of other sci-fi/horror movies.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

oldpainless posted:

How did the guy making the map get lost?
Why is Shaw such a bad scientist?
Why did Holloway take off his helmet on an unknown planet? That seemed super dangerous.
Why are all these people so bad at their jobs?

Here you go:

Jenner posted:

Perhaps we could extend the implications that the glut of people who seem to have no idea how to really do their jobs in prominent positions in their fields and industries to make assumptions on the state of the universe at large. Maybe there are just some huge systematic problems that have cropped up in this very corporatized future.

Perhaps the influence of Legacy lines in powerful educational institutions and the extensive level of inner dealings and close relationships among the business elite lead to these rich powerful folks lifting their inexperienced and hyper privileged offspring into these positions. Bullying them through the education system even as they didn't learn or pay attention to their professors. (What if the educators themselves are also pampered rich kids?) Leading to them not knowing poo poo about what they were doing. Perhaps this kind of gross nepotism is just so ripe throughout the universe now that Prometheus is just the inevitable outcome.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 10, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I hate that we're not living in a post "Ben Carson is a renowned neuro-surgeon he must be very intelligent...wait...how the....why is he....what the...." world even though we are technically. People will still always assume anyone in any scientific field is really smart in a movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did you guys know you can't carbon date anything on another planet using our system because it only works because we\people know how much carbon should be on earth but not how much should be on another alien planet or a animal from another planet. I learned from this podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osBFSuTRTqk, only copy of it I could find.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah but it's the future so David and/or the ship scanned the planet and said "hey stuff deeper in has ___ carbon" before anyone even woke up, we know this because they're able to successfully carbon date things on the planet. :haw:

Real answer: I knew this going in and it didn't matter to me just because it wasn't any less silly than if they used made up techno scanning words to say the exact same line.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biomute posted:

It's definitely [Paul WS Anderson's] best movie, what is arguable is whether it is his only good movie.
I definitely don't think it's his only good one - Resident Evil is a very solid generic zombie movie, and Mortal Kombat is much, much better than it deserves to be given the source material. Death Race is really entertaining and has some awesome practical effects (and on that front, the practical effects in AvP are solid, too - especially the set design with the pyramid). I haven't seen Soldier in forever, but I remember Kurt Russell's performance being pretty good.

Basebf555 posted:

You can't really name a legendary, prolific director who hasn't had a few failures. Kubrick had a pretty spotless record, but he really was not prolific in the way that directors like Scott(or John Ford, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.) are. I'm sure if Kubrick had made 30-40 films his batting average would have dropped somewhat.
Spielberg? I'm trying to think of a movie he's done that was universally panned or was box-office poison and tanked, and I'm coming up short.

I'm looking at his ratings on RottenTomatoes and it says Hook got a 30%? I rewatched that movie on Netflix fairly recently and while it's not Spielberg's finest work, I didn't think it was total dogshit or even realize it got panned like that.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Actually all those movies you just listed minus Soldier are dogshit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

I haven't seen Soldier in forever, but I remember Kurt Russell's performance being pretty good.

What performance?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I hate that we're not living in a post "Ben Carson is a renowned neuro-surgeon he must be very intelligent...wait...how the....why is he....what the...." world even though we are technically. People will still always assume anyone in any scientific field is really smart in a movie.

people still assume if people are ceos of major companies they must have got there through smarts and merits despite a number of them destroying the global economy. they didn't even lose their jobs. the ceo of sears did a worse job than probably any peon at a store level would've done running the company.

ben carson is a bit of an outlier though if we're talking science cuz if i remember correctly a very high percentage of, for example, biologists are atheists (i think the highest in any field).

Xenomrph posted:

I'm looking at his ratings on RottenTomatoes and it says Hook got a 30%? I rewatched that movie on Netflix fairly recently and while it's not Spielberg's finest work, I didn't think it was total dogshit or even realize it got panned like that.

hook is one of those movies that i didn't know was almost universally hated until like 20 years after the fact. still don't quite get it tbh.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 10, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Spielberg did that WW2 comedy that nobody likes. Also AI.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Spielberg? I'm trying to think of a movie he's done that was universally panned or was box-office poison and tanked, and I'm coming up short.

The no-brainer answer is definitely 1941, which most people agreed was bad as soon as it was released.

He also directed Always, a movie that debuted at #3 in the box office.

He's probably as close as you're gonna get to a clean record though, he's really only had a small handful of failures compared to directors like Scott or Woody Allen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

The no-brainer answer is definitely 1941, which most people agreed was bad as soon as it was released.

He also directed Always, a movie that debuted at #3 in the box office.

He's probably as close as you're gonna get to a clean record though, he's really only had a small handful of failures compared to directors like Scott or Woody Allen.
I could think of a few other directors who have had pretty clean track records, but their output is nowhere near as prolific as Spielberg. David Fincher's only real misstep was Alien3, and that arguably wasn't his fault. James Cameron has also had a perfect record (not counting Piranha 2) but he's also only directed like 8 movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I could think of a few other directors who have had pretty clean track records, but their output is nowhere near as prolific as Spielberg. David Fincher's only real misstep was Alien3, and that arguably wasn't his fault. James Cameron has also had a perfect record (not counting Piranha 2) but he's also only directed like 8 movies.

Yea in my initial post i mentioned Kubrick as a director who had a perfect record but that he wasn't prolific like some of the other notable great directors.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jenner posted:

Here you go:

No one can actually say this in real life

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I never saw Hook as a kid when it came out because I only ever knew it as a terrible movie, it was almost universally despised. Looking back as an adult I do remember a big part of the hate was that Dustin Hoffman was considered poo poo at the time* so it got poo poo on just for him being in it. Years later I saw it and it's pretty dumb and repetitive, I'm never going to watch it again but was fun enough, kept my attention and isn't like worst movie ever material. I'm sure there was some backlash to the mega-level of merchandising and stuff it got too though, it and Independence day were the earliest movies I can remember as a kid where pre-release stuff about it was EVERYWHERE.

There's no way any prolific director is going to have a perfect track record. We can set a bar for how many movies is "prolific" or how much you want to count $$$$ made vs. critical response when talking about success, but unless it's a really low number you're not going to find one. Even Spielberg has 1941, Hook itself, and some movies that aren't total poo poo but aren't particularly remembered or liked like Amistad. I don't think any director has close to his output while generally putting out really good movies though.

Groovelord Neato posted:

ben carson is a bit of an outlier though if we're talking science cuz if i remember correctly a very high percentage of, for example, biologists are atheists (i think the highest in any field).

I don't doubt his abilities outside of neurosurgery because he believes in a higher power, I doubt them because he's an idiot.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2016

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Xenomrph posted:

I definitely don't think it's his only good one - Resident Evil is a very solid generic zombie movie, and Mortal Kombat is much, much better than it deserves to be given the source material. Death Race is really entertaining and has some awesome practical effects (and on that front, the practical effects in AvP are solid, too - especially the set design with the pyramid). I haven't seen Soldier in forever, but I remember Kurt Russell's performance being pretty good.

Those movies are trash. Soldier has a few people liking it because Kurt Russel is in it and the screenwriter worked on Blade Runner, but it's a garbage action flick that got 10% on Rotten tomatoes.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Biomute posted:

Those movies are trash. Soldier has a few people liking it because Kurt Russel is in it and the screenwriter worked on Blade Runner, but it's a garbage action flick that got 10% on Rotten tomatoes.

No poo poo? 10% on Rotten Tomatoes? drat, I guess I don't like Soldier anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I can't speak for everyone but I liked Soldier a lot more for the movie it potentially could have been than for what it is. I saw it once and enjoyed it overall, figured it could have been a lot better and never paid it much thought since. Looking at this now I'm actually very surprised it got such awful reviews, there's a bajillion lone sci-fi warrior enters some shithole colony planet nd comes into conflict with folks movies out there that make Soldier look like a masterpiece.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 10, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I liked Soldier a lot more for the movie it potentially could have been than for what it is. I saw it once and enjoyed it overall, figured it could have been a lot better and never paid it much thought since. Looking at this now I'm actually very surprised it got such awful reviews, there's a bajillion lone sci-fi warrior enters some shithole colony planet nd comes into conflict with folks movies out there that make Soldier look like a masterpiece.
Isn't that really a lot of the appeal of Alien 3 as well? I don't think I would like the movie nearly as much without knowing all the sordid background info of how that film made it onto the screen. The Assembly Cut is very rough in places with half-finished segments so you sort of have to grade it on a curve. A good example is the Alien itself. The rod-puppet should look super great and it probably would have if Fox threw a lot of money at the Blu-Ray restoration, but in all the released versions we're stuck with an alien with an awful green tint and hideous 1992 CG shadows. Objectively it does not look good but you still like it for what could have been.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao James Franco is in Alien Covenant too. Holy poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

Isn't that really a lot of the appeal of Alien 3 as well? I don't think I would like the movie nearly as much without knowing all the sordid background info of how that film made it onto the screen. The Assembly Cut is very rough in places with half-finished segments so you sort of have to grade it on a curve. A good example is the Alien itself. The rod-puppet should look super great and it probably would have if Fox threw a lot of money at the Blu-Ray restoration, but in all the released versions we're stuck with an alien with an awful green tint and hideous 1992 CG shadows. Objectively it does not look good but you still like it for what could have been.

It's a totally different situation beause Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

For real though it's true anytime the Alien is on screen and not a guy in a suit is less than ideal looking. I know on the blu-ray they fixed it up slightly more but it's still really rough. The worst shot for me though is right before THE iconic closeup of the Alien and Ripley's face. The closeup of course looks great but the scale feels all weird when it first crawls up to her. They used the puppet and it looks the size of a dog you could just kick away or something even though it's clearly meant to be gigantic in the moments immediately before and after. It's the franchise's Night of the Lepus moment.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biomute posted:

They're not high art, but Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil 1, and Death Race are fun as hell and I'll defend the heck out of them. Especially Death Race, I'd easily put that as the second best Paul WS Anderson movie behind Event Horizon. The practical effects/stunt work with the cars is great and worth the price of admission by itself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death Race owns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Death Race owns.
Mad Max Fury Road makes it look real bad by comparison, but that's only because Fury Road is so good. Paul WS Anderson reportedly refused to use miniatures or CGI for the car stunts in Death Race, and the movie is immensely better for it.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've gotten turned around in buildings I helped design and was there holding plans in my hand and I generally have a very good sense of direction and am very used to wandering around large semi-finished buildings. Add panic and fear to the mix and a totally alien environment of very similar looking gross dark corridors? "Why the the guy with the map get lost" is the dumbest Prometheus question.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

oldpainless posted:

No one can actually say this in real life

What do you mean?

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao James Franco is in Alien Covenant too. Holy poo poo.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes had Franco and it was good! This isn't a red flag. (But it is concerning.)

quote:

Hook.

I really liked Hook and still really like Hook.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Fifield is a scrawny ginger geologist with a mohawk(?) and facial tattoos whose first interaction with a friendly and enthusiastic coworker is to be a dick. He's obviously been bullied, found sanctuary in identity and gone off world to protect/rebuild his world view of himself as a maverick genius. Of course he gets loving lost.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

fun as hell and I'll defend the heck

:shobon:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Jenner posted:

What do you mean?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes had Franco and it was good! This isn't a red flag. (But it is concerning.)

This is what I thought too. Rise was a pretty good, almost great even, movie and Franco was pretty restrained in it. Meaning, he wasn't "James Franco, stoner movie star" which has been his MO more or less since the 3rd Spiderman.

Speaking of which he wasn't bad in the first two (original) Spiderman movies either. So I'm with you, I hope we get that guy, and not the one from Pineapple Express...a movie I kind of like that he was also great in, but not a good riff for a Sci-Fi horror movie.

Danny McBride has me more concerned as far as Covenant goes. McBride and Franco both in it sets off a number of alarm bells so here's hoping they are trying to expand their range.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny McBride has range. He's an excellent actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

david_a posted:

The plot and setting of Alien 3 was good. It just had an incredibly lovely script and special effects.