Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It came from reddit:

quote:

Hey guys, I know this is stupid and I should have been paying better attention but I really need some advice.

My car was repossessed today while I was in the house. I didn't even notice when it was leaving. I thought I had been making the payments but I had auto pay setup for the wrong bank account so none of my payments went through. I KNOW how stupid this sounds but the past 3 months I've been so stressed out about my job and other things that I never realized it. One of my ex roommates was harassing me over call/text so I installed an app to block his phone number. Well, it turns out that the same app also blocks calls from unknown 1-800 numbers (hence why I never got collection calls).

If I can't get my car back I'm screwed, completely. I owe about $900 to them and really, I just don't have it. I paid rent and I thought the car payment had been coming out. I'm a loving idiot. Their call lines closed about an hour ago, so I'll have to call back tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do to convince them that I'm not full of poo poo? Would they be willing to let me pay the amount that I owe over time? The company is Hyundai Motor Finance. I need that car to get to both of my jobs. If I can't get it back I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel so stupid.
This could happen to anyone. Anyone who spends all the money in their account and isn't checking to make sure that bills are getting paid properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Nocheez posted:

It came from reddit:

This could happen to anyone. Anyone who spends all the money in their account and isn't checking to make sure that bills are getting paid properly.

I just read a thread in personal finance about a guy who thought he set up auto pay for his card but didn't notice it wasn't drawing from his checking account from sept-nov until he looked at his credit karma report and realized it was getting trashed. He also trashed his dad's credit because he was a cosigner.

don't gently caress up your auto pay dudes.

Or stay on top of your checking account to make sure it's not way out of whack.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the first DLC ever released, or at least it was super early on the trend. PC Gamer did a whole article about it and how it was just a ridiculous glimpse of things to come.
It was one of the first.
Before companies had released little things for free, such as EA putting out extra cars Need for Speed or Morrowind having mini quests for special items.

I think the Sims possibly were an early adopter with stuff packs, but they were kinda mini expansion packs. Granted that series is one BWM when you add up all the expansions and packs.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Teeter posted:

If you're going to gamble on some purely random bullshit then at least do something rad like Sigma Derby. Now there's a game that would do well for some high stakes excitement. It's too bad that I think the only still-existing tables run on just a few quarters.

At Mohegan Sun, I've seen a modern remake called Royal Derby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6UGdrJHjQ

Nocheez posted:

It came from reddit:

And wouldn't lenders normally send a number of "past due" notices before repossessing a car?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Another day, another "I thought it was free money but I also didn't think about it too hard"

quote:

The short version of the story is that I genuinely misunderstood the way my corporate credit card was to be used. I have been using it over the last few years regularly for personal reasons, including medical, car payments (a car is required for my job, but not covered under expenses), and general personal shopping. My girlfriend did not have income for two years, and I used the card to cover expenses beyond my paycheck.

I can use PayPal to get cash out of the card and into my bank account, so what I have been doing is waiting until the bill is due (a new billing cycle) and taking out that amount with PayPal, then using the cash to pay it off, plus adding in my own money to try and reduce the balance a little. This just means I get charged PayPal fees for the cash advance, and it means nothing more is due until the next billing cycle. This results in the next month having that balance plus charges, minus any and all money I can put toward it out of my pay (generally $2,000 a month).

Somehow I have managed to rack up a rolling balance of $20,000 on this card and I can’t ever pay it all off in one go. I had a bankruptcy a few years ago and cannot qualify for a loan to cover the full amount.

There's more after someone asks "how could this possibly have gotten so bad, what did you think the corp card was for?", and out comes a cartoon journey about how he had to get a car for work and was juuuuust about to pay it off but then his car got smashed or broke and so he had to get another car:

quote:

The orginal plan was to use the money for a deposit on a car, and once the car was paid off, I would then have the car as an asset, which I could use as security on a loan, which I could use to pay off the card. All was going to plan, but the car got written off due to the engine totally breaking down after a month, so I then had to get another deposit on a second car. That was also ok until one day while at a red light a semi-truck smashed it up , and that second car was nearly paid off but then it got writen off as well. Luckily, for the second car I did have insurance, but the insurance company only agreed to pay out the remaining balance on that car loan and so I was again carless. Third car deposit, and four years later I am feeling trapped in this cycle where I am getting about $600 in PayPal fees every month.
$600 in PayPal fees every month.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 10, 2016

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
hoooly poo poo. That guy is hosed.

No way the company is going to work with him. His boss told him to buy a car or gently caress off when they lost a client. It's obvious the company views him as expendable.

VVVV Edit: glad to hear it for that guys sake. I'm surprised.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Hate to disappoint but there was an update post where they had a meeting and didn't instafire the guy, and were evidently working on some kind of payment plan.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Hate to disappoint but there was an update post where they had a meeting and didn't instafire the guy, and were evidently working on some kind of payment plan.

The working classes: Fired for eating a hamburger patty due to being hungry on a double shift.
The middle classes: You stole $20,000 from us? No biggie. It happens. Just pay it back when you have some cash spare.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
He'll get fired as soon as he pays it off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Working with him = trying to get as much of that 20k before firing him.

Edit: they're probably buying time while they deal with HR and figure out their legal options. Unless he got something in writing, he's totally getting fired and could get sued. No happy endings here.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 10, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

The working classes: Fired for eating a hamburger patty due to being hungry on a double shift.
The middle classes: You stole $20,000 from us? No biggie. It happens. Just pay it back when you have some cash spare.

You forgot the best one: Upper class: Crash the economy/your company/shareholder value? Here is a 7 figure check to leave, potentially from the government.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That guy is now an indentured servant and his company knows it. They'll get every penny out of him.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I still don't get how he managed to do that without anyone crying foul. Last time I had a corporate card I had to justify every line item at the end of the month... my boss got chewed out for buying Starbucks with a supplier and not keeping the receipt once (although that had more to do with accounting not like her than anything)

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I still don't get how he managed to do that without anyone crying foul. Last time I had a corporate card I had to justify every line item at the end of the month... my boss got chewed out for buying Starbucks with a supplier and not keeping the receipt once (although that had more to do with accounting not like her than anything)

I got a call recently from HR - due to an error in our expense system, they reimbursed me directly for a flight I'd put on my corporate card rather than paying off the card. This happened 3 years ago and they just noticed that I owed them $500. Apparently a whole lot of people had this issue and lots of them had left by the time HR found out (the company had to eat the loss for those people).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Did you not notice the extra $500 showing up in your account?

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

There was actually a second update just yesterday

"update posted:

Hi all, just thought I’d give you an update a year later…

I have repaid Amex in full and with the habit of saving firmly established, I have a little bit of a saftey net in place so things will not likley get that bad EVER again..

I got a promotion in my job later on in the year and that came with a pay raise, so I was actually able to get it taken care of in nine months instead of 12. Life’s all good and I am very thankful for all the opinions here. Some of the info was very valuable in my approach. Things could have taken a VERY different path.

so it looks like the story had a happy ending somehow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Did you not notice the extra $500 showing up in your account?

Pretty easy to miss if you do a lot of variable expenses for work monthly, especially since they get rounded out to +15-60 days past incurring the expense.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Teeter posted:

If you're going to gamble on some purely random bullshit then at least do something rad like Sigma Derby. Now there's a game that would do well for some high stakes excitement. It's too bad that I think the only still-existing tables run on just a few quarters.

I played that for like 4 hours getting free drinks and only spent $5 since the minimum bet was a quarter. I think its the only non-BWM gambling possible.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flappin fish posted:

There was actually a second update just yesterday

You stole $20k, here have a promotion and raise :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He showed initiative.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He got a second chance and apparently made good use of it so yay for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of my coworkers has a kid and wanted me to help her set up her 457(b) account. I told her the difference between the Roth and Traditional and said that Roth might be better, because she will have a pension, but she might want to do Traditional if she is close to any tax credit requirements.

We looked it up and if she gets her income down about $730 dollars for the year, she could qualify for the EITC with one qualifying child. This would mean a refundable credit of about $1,600 according to the calculator we used.

I told her that she since we have two paychecks left for the year, she should set up contributions for $390 per paycheck to the 457(b) traditional and get the credit. You can change the amount next month to whatever you actually want to do.

She decided against it because Christmas is coming up. I kind of understand, because she has a kid and doesn't make a ton of money, but then she told me that she already got the kid's presents and she was getting herself a coat for Christmas. I tried to tell her to just wait a week and get one in January, so she could get the extra $1,600 when she files her taxes, but then it would be after Christmas and not a Christmas present for herself anymore.

:negative:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

ate all the Oreos posted:

You stole $20k, here have a promotion and raise :psyduck:

The situation is screwed up enough that it isn't necessary to hyperbolize. Theft requires intent.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

In a courtroom yeah but I wouldn't expect an employer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
The employer had known him for years. I certainly wouldn't have blamed them for firing him, but based on what they knew of him, they apparently were willing to accept it as an innocent mistake and move on once it had been fixed. Which is a happier ending for everyone concerned, once you get past the idea that he needs to be punished for his evil deeds.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

silvergoose posted:

And holy poo poo do people spend money on that.

My cousin who is an international student here in the US was handed 10 grand in cash by her parents as spending money. Since she was a minor I helped her open a joint bank account, this is what she did with it:

There's currently less than $700 in the account and it has only been less than three months. This is with all her living expenses paid for, and her having access to a parental credit card for big purchases.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 11, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did you just post the records of a joint account with a minor in order to shame them?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Did you just post the records of a joint account with a minor in order to shame them?

It appears they did and it's probably simultaneously the saddest and most hilarious thing I've seen all day

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gamesguy posted:

My cousin who is an international student here in the US was handed 10 grand in cash by her parents as spending money. Since she was a minor I helped her open a joint bank account, this is what she did with it:

There's currently less than $700 in the account and it has only been less than three months. This is with all her living expenses paid for, and her having access to a parental credit card for big purchases.

Those itunes charges... mostly in-app purchases at 49.99 and 99.99?

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Y'all remember that kid who, using a balance transfer credit card to the tune of $9,000 to buy AMD stock and then used leverage to round it out into about $13,000? Well, according to his post history, the first time he mentions "selling at a small profit" to the tune of a whole $87.50 was in September.

Whoops. Doesn't look like September was an up month... Looks a lot more like he got scared and pulled out. Reading his post history was awful, it's full of garbage like "boiii". I do remember betting against him, so I'm quite surprised to find that had his bet been held through December, he'd be up to 18 grand rather than just sitting at 13. Guess individual stocks aren't for me.

He has however learned a good lesson from this mess! He apparently doesn't go all in on individual stocks anymore, only on ETFs...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

baquerd posted:

That's the best value :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Subjunctive posted:

it's really funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What game is she playing? It must be really fun to blow that much money on and I need something to do while I'm on lunch.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

baquerd posted:

I was wondering if it was scheme to get iTunes gift cards and then convert them to cash or something, but this is a checking account they could just pull cash from. What can you possibly spend a hundred dollars on so often from the iTunes store?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Switchback posted:

I was wondering if it was scheme to get iTunes gift cards and then convert them to cash or something, but this is a checking account they could just pull cash from. What can you possibly spend a hundred dollars on so often from the iTunes store?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
So most of that $10k is blown of in-app purchases. This is just the start of an app/gambling addiction that will ruin the life of that student.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

flappin fish posted:

I don't believe it. Everything worked out far too well.

He's actually posting from the dumpster on the side of the Taco Bell that gets the best WiFi on a cracked Galaxy S2 he looted from a dead junkie.

In the waning glow of his smartphone's dying battery, ignoring the dozens of pleading notifications for the phone's prior owner, he eats someone's leftover churro and imagines a life of paid off credit cards, promotions, and warm beds.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Devian666 posted:

So most of that $10k is blown of in-app purchases. This is just the start of an app/gambling addiction that will ruin the life of that student.

Or this becomes a wonderful Teachable Moment that will set them straight.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Or this becomes a wonderful Teachable Moment that will set them straight.

Maybe in app purchases of virtual currency or items should be capped or regulated in some way, especially those with any kind of chance or gambling-like aspect to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, shaming your relative's kids is a proud Asian tradition. ;)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What game is she playing? It must be really fun to blow that much money on and I need something to do while I'm on lunch.

Some kind of card game popular in China.

Maybe in app purchases of virtual currency or items should be capped or regulated in some way, especially those with any kind of chance or gambling-like aspect to them.

http://www.pcgamer.com/chinese-law-will-force-game-makers-to-reveal-loot-box-drop-rates/

• Locked thread