Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

a real chump posted:

I'm not really a meme guy but I liked this

http://i.imgur.com/u7pvrgq.gifv

stolen from reddit

it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Came back to this game after a long hiatus and it still owns bones. I guess the population isn't going to be much better, but it's still stable enough for the most part so as long as it's still possible to get games easily for the main modes, that's all that matters.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I use a controller because I like to play video games for fun while relaxing on my couch rather than hunched over a desk.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You can play PC games on your couch.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just started playing so still lots of wedging myself between shop signs like a pleb. drat fun though. Any requirements on shooting with goons?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tirranek posted:

Just started playing so still lots of wedging myself between shop signs like a pleb. drat fun though. Any requirements on shooting with goons?

A K/D of at least 7, winrate of 89.7%. Low Profile is a plus :v:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Mill Village posted:

You can play PC games on your couch.

I do that too, using my Xbone controller.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dred_furst posted:

Ronin can be the best worst titan sometimes
https://giant.gfycat.com/AlarmedSadAnnelid.webm

You guys have the prettiest loving games. I'm running a GTX970 and a Core i5, and mine doesn't look anything even close to yours. :negative:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ripoff posted:

You guys have the prettiest loving games. I'm running a GTX970 and a Core i5, and mine doesn't look anything even close to yours. :negative:

That's on a GTX 970*
*downsampled from 1440p.
edit: ok, ok, running on a 3rd gen i7. Which makes zero difference in this case.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use a 1070 :colbert:

With an old 2600k.

Titanfall is surprisingly optimized, I get a solid 60 maxed in ultrawide.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Daztek posted:

A K/D of at least 7, winrate of 89.7%. Low Profile is a plus :v:

I stole a battery once!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

zolthorg posted:

every merit you earn is also 1 credit. every time you regen youve earned like 500 hard credits to buy absolutely anything

i've basically just started buying black market camos for fun when i need one to colour co ordinate, at least youre guaranteed a camo for x credits instead of spending them at the colloseum and losing most of the time because its a weird quake game with one stage feature. And then when you win you get credits or another ticket half of the time

The prices of ordnances are loving hilariously bad though so i'm actually figuring out how to use the regular grenades instead of always just poisoning hallways and banks with the electric smoke

I just regenned for the first time and all i got were the gold camos, no credits. Blew 225 of my 260 credits on low profile.

Flame star is great if you don't like the grenades, it scares the poo poo out of people. I'm also curious to try the gravstar-eject trick so i might start using that.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Tirranek posted:

I stole a battery once!

Good enough, join us on discord.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I just regenned for the first time and all i got were the gold camos, no credits. Blew 225 of my 260 credits on low profile.

Flame star is great if you don't like the grenades, it scares the poo poo out of people. I'm also curious to try the gravstar-eject trick so i might start using that.

It also does a decent chunk of damage to Titans. I've blown up several already since they got buffed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Much as I wanna try other explosives, I just find grenades too drat useful for me. Either by piffing them off walls into parallel rooms to deal with sneaky ambushers, or just trying to drop one when I know I'm about to fall over dead.

I also think the fuse on the grenade needs to be shortened by about two seconds. There's too much time to run away from one as-is, and standing around cooking one is a great way to get shot.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Mill Village posted:

It also does a decent chunk of damage to Titans. I've blown up several already since they got buffed.

Yeah a firestar to the cockpit does at least a full pip of damage to a titan, and can kill a doomed one. It also potentially blinds the pilot, but I don't know how bad that actually is to deal with since it hasn't happened to me yet. I ran the firestar for a long time before picking up satchel for my anti-titan loadout.

It also does a pretty good amount of damage to people who run through it, and there's always someone who thinks they can make it through without dying and ends up eating poo poo. Good area denial too for hallways and hardpoints/banks.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I love it when people assume they'll be safer in the air. :getin:

Should have stayed in those titans, idiots.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 10, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

It's always great when you find a bunch of people with zero situational awareness. Found this older clip from before the patch as well, so punching is a bit wiffy.
http://i.imgur.com/ZbVLoV2.gifv

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Inspector Hound posted:

You don't get a pile of credits when you regen, he's just saying that all the merits you had to earn to get to lvl 50 translated into credits. Don't know the exact number but it should have been more that 260. Especially with Advocate Gifts sometimes dishing out credits.

Anyways, I initially wrote off satchels because the double-tap-reload-to-detonate takes ages compared to the first game. So I finally gave them another try aaaaaaaand I still think they got gimped to hell. The explosion radius has to be like half of what it used to be. I spent a couple games trying to use them to clear the banks and all I ever got were hit markers, no kills.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

runchild posted:

Anyways, I initially wrote off satchels because the double-tap-reload-to-detonate takes ages compared to the first game. So I finally gave them another try aaaaaaaand I still think they got gimped to hell. The explosion radius has to be like half of what it used to be. I spent a couple games trying to use them to clear the banks and all I ever got were hit markers, no kills.

Yeah I never played the first game, but it definitely feels like it takes way too long to detonate them, especially right after throwing. They do a ton of damage if you can stick them to a titan though so that's mostly what I use them for.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

In other news, it appears that the duration of Ions energy shield is tied to fps. Lower fps equals longer shield.

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/8472/ions-vortex-shield-duration-is-tied-to-fps-very-big-bug

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I rented call of duty and it's kind of funny how similar everything is to titanfall but worse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also there are robots that look like reapers called uh, reapers.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man at this point I would pay money to never play Homestead again.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

keyframe posted:

Man at this point I would pay money to never play Homestead again.

:same:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't get the homestead hate. It's not one of the better map designs but I always have fun playing it.

Complex on the other hand...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Magnus Condomus posted:

In other news, it appears that the duration of Ions energy shield is tied to fps. Lower fps equals longer shield.

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/8472/ions-vortex-shield-duration-is-tied-to-fps-very-big-bug

Why is anyone tying poo poo to fps these days? This is stupid.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Is there a chat room or irc y'all use to party up on xbone or is it just send messages and stuff?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I dont' like Foreward Base Kodai at all.

Love boomtown!

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why is anyone tying poo poo to fps these days? This is stupid.

Since the shield should be draining energy continuously they must have tied the discrete drops in energy level to the rate at which some process, inadvertently tied to frame rate, is updating. Seems like a huge oversight, though.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

I dont' like Foreward Base Kodai at all.

Love boomtown!

Forward base Kawaii is one of the best maps, actually

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

OdinsBeard posted:

Since the shield should be draining energy continuously they must have tied the discrete drops in energy level to the rate at which some process, inadvertently tied to frame rate, is updating. Seems like a huge oversight, though.

Easy mistake, there's probably 40 ways to get the needed amount of time that passed with subtle differences or a name like getFrameBudget() that sounds like the amount of time spent on a frame, but it's really the amount of time left for the frame to hit the dynamic resolution target.

This bug was live for weeks before it was really noticed, I could easily see it getting missed all through coding, review, and testing. Nobody unit tests 100%, and time-dependent stuff is particularly hard to dependency-inject so they're among the most skipped tests, or they don't isolate the clock if they do test.

Programming is hard, the game launched in really good shape, hindsight is 20/20.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

veni veni veni posted:

I really don't get the homestead hate. It's not one of the better map designs but I always have fun playing it.

When the bounties are on the sides of the map you either have a titan, or are hosed to walking on the open ground. All it would take to make it fine would be some random wall running spots out to the East and West of the map.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

PC ended up crapping out but thanks for the games tonight all! First time playing in a group and it was a lot of fun.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

OdinsBeard posted:

I like when AW had this problem with the Laser gun. The higher your framerate, the faster it fired. The game was a light show for a while.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Easy mistake, there's probably 40 ways to get the needed amount of time that passed with subtle differences or a name like getFrameBudget() that sounds like the amount of time spent on a frame, but it's really the amount of time left for the frame to hit the dynamic resolution target.

This bug was live for weeks before it was really noticed, I could easily see it getting missed all through coding, review, and testing. Nobody unit tests 100%, and time-dependent stuff is particularly hard to dependency-inject so they're among the most skipped tests, or they don't isolate the clock if they do test.

Programming is hard, the game launched in really good shape, hindsight is 20/20.

Good to know. I'm a mathematician, so my coding knowledge is pretty minimal.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
I don't want to bring back an old argument, but Frothy has some insight about Tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4yRZo56I8

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Oh My God. I have in about 20 hours of play still never used the Devotion. Just used it for the first time. That thing is a rail gun. Absurd. I was hitting guys way too far across the map with that dumb gun!

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Coliseum is hilarious. I bought into and played about 50 rounds tonight and did nothing but kick people in the face for 3 hours. I think I got matched against the same guy about 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Anyone else seeing weird poo poo this weekend? Like, not just weird suspicous perfect flatline shots over and over again from the iron sights, but like; laser cores just not dealing damage to people.