Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's probably going to use the Maserati turbo Pentastar as a top engine and a 2l turbo 4 as the base because welcome to Trump's America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

It's probably going to use the Maserati turbo Pentastar as a top engine and a 2l turbo 4 as the base because welcome to Trump's America.

I thought in Trump's America the minimum engine size would be a V8.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I thought in Trump's America the minimum engine size would be a V8.

Flathead, pushrod V8s at that, running 89 octane leaded gas.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Straight-8's are also acceptable.

E: straight-6s are legal for subcompacts.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mazda diesel may actually happen in N.A.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-mazda-cx-5-japan-spec-prototype-drive-review

quote:

The powerplant is similar to the diesel available in the previous model in other markets. U.S. specs aren’t finalized, but in its home-market trim the new diesel pumps out 173 horsepower at 4500 rpm and 310 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm and is teamed with a six-speed automatic gearbox. Coming out of our first corner, the sharp pickup from low down in the rev range was a pleasant surprise, with the boost coming on at around 2500 rpm and remaining on tap until 4500 rpm. The transmission’s remapped shift schedule also assists in exiting corners faster, and downshifts are quicker, too.

Deteriorata posted:

Anybody can get lots of power by wasting lots of fuel. It takes cleverness to get lots of power without wasting it. I appreciate cleverness.

This is how I've always felt and I'm surprised it's at all controversial in a forum with automotive engineering enthusiasts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Straight-8's are also acceptable.

E: straight-6s are legal for subcompacts.

Actually, i believe you'll find the europeans have already solved this problem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
basically the world needs more V10s and V12s

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

basically the world I need more V10s and V12s

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

basically the world needs more V10s and V12s

I want a v12 in the front and a v12 on the back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

I want a v12 in the front and a v12 on the back.

And a horn here ^ here v and here >, i can never find one when i'm angry.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So, Toyota is going to give us some Dynamic Force

All the speeds.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

All I want to know is if the rental Yaris's engine will still have all the charm and character of a forklift engine, you know, typical Toyota reluctance?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

It is actually happening. They confirmed it right after the US unveiling of the 2017 CX5 a couple of weeks ago.

I'd still get the 2.5 NA, I think.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Actually, i believe you'll find the europeans have already solved this problem.

Check out my new compact car, the Rolls Royce Phantom

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dislike button posted:

Check out my new compact car, the Rolls Royce Phantom

I'm shopping subcompacts, i've narrowed it down to the ford fiesta and the bentley continental GT. I looked at midsize cars like the bentley mulsanne and toyota prius, but they just didn't do it for me.

I wouldn't even think about a large car like the rolls royce phantom EWB or hyundai sonata.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 11, 2016

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It is actually happening. They confirmed it right after the US unveiling of the 2017 CX5 a couple of weeks ago.

I'd still get the 2.5 NA, I think.

Yea, same. Unless you're towing something, there's no real point. Or unless you just want a brown diesel of some sort.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AlmightyPants posted:

The Infiniti system is as you described. It also has a snow mode switch that, among other things, splits the power 50/50. It's quite noticeable.
I know the first gen G35 did that but when I owned a second gen G37 sedan the manual made no mention of that and just said something along the lines of "shift points and throttle inputs were recalibrated in snow mode". I don't know if they've changed things for the third gen Q50.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

I'd be first in line for a turbo Crosstrek. Call it whatever they want.

CrossWRX with a six-speed and around 250HP? There's basically no faster way Subaru could take my money faster, unless they said they were 100% releasing a turbocharged 2.5L variant with around 320HP, 'cause I'd wait for that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

CrossWRX with a six-speed and around 250HP? There's basically no faster way Subaru could take my money faster, unless they said they were 100% releasing a turbocharged 2.5L variant with around 320HP, 'cause I'd wait for that one.

Same, I've been a WRX owner for 15 years, but a six speed manual crosstrek xt would have me visiting the dealership tomorrow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Same, I've been a WRX owner for 15 years, but a six speed manual crosstrek xt would have me visiting the dealership tomorrow.

I would have bought this over my GTI. Or my TDI 4 years ago.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
You guys all prefer the lift to a normal ride height? I really don't like the higher center of gravity in the Crosstrek.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ride height is part of it. For the most part I don't have too much trouble with my WRX, but it can get close in the winter and approach angles are pretty bad with it which can lead to scraping coming in and out of driveways and parking lots.

I have a BRZ, so the WRX feels like a wallowing floatly pig anyways, so might as well add more utility.

I also feel at this point that crosstrek XT is more likely than a new WRX hatch and the sedan is a complete non-starter for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If they ever did a crosstrek XT it would almost certainly be CVT only because gently caress you.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

I know the first gen G35 did that but when I owned a second gen G37 sedan the manual made no mention of that and just said something along the lines of "shift points and throttle inputs were recalibrated in snow mode". I don't know if they've changed things for the third gen Q50.

I'm on my third lease of the second gen (G35->G37->Q40) and I'm pretty sure that snow mode forces power to the front wheels. It definitely changes throttle inputs and the shift pattern, but the steering gets that FWD feel added to it too. I've used it a fair amount of the years for snow, ice and mud. I don't have a 100% clear recollection of it because it was a few years ago, but I am pretty sure that when I was trying to get out of the muddy mess where I used to park the front wheels would always spin in snow mode whereas they wouldn't when left alone. Obviously half-remembered anecdotes aren't evidence, but that's all I got right now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

goons posted:

- Crosstrek XT
- CrossWRX
- TXT

:science: Gravel Express

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

blk posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the Giulia is ugly as sin?

For an Alfa Romeo it's pretty standard looking and that is sad. You can see where it takes inspiration from the previous 4 door Alfas but it doesn't have the same sort of quirky flair of years gone by nor indeed the beauty of the much older cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't understand the obsession with the Crosstrek. Why not just a WRX hatch? That's more likely, anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's more likely, anyway.

I don't think it is, sadly. They are selling way too many Crosstreks to task production capacity to a WRX hatch. So, having a hot drivetrain for the Crosstrek seems like a situation that's more likely to play out.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

BloodBag posted:

:science: Gravel Express

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Young people really seem to love the ride height and hideous wheels on the crosstrek for some reason, especially the "xtreme" crowd. Think new Nissan Xterra crowd circa 15 years ago, the walking Harold & Kumar parody characters, same bros.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

blk posted:

You guys all prefer the lift to a normal ride height? I really don't like the higher center of gravity in the Crosstrek.

Absolutely. Significant snow here isn't terribly common, but when it does happen Philadelphia does such a terrible job clearing it out that my '06 2.5 wagon could use just a little more clearance. Plus when I head back home closer to Pittsburgh I'd like the additional height. Unfortunately ...

Powershift posted:

If they ever did a crosstrek XT it would almost certainly be CVT only because gently caress you.
... yeah, that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why are people so obsessed with going places when it snows a bunch

i mean i like to gently caress off and go skiing but it's not like the 4.7" of clearance for the ST is that bad

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TA aero doubles as snowplows :getin:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean i like to gently caress off and go skiing but it's not like the 4.7" of clearance for the ST is that bad

Heavy snowfall is like the only time between September and April that I get to go somewhere without constantly being irritated at people going 20 under in front of me in all available lanes.

Also sometimes I drive over curbs if the driveway to a parking lot is inconvenient.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

like if you need 6+" ground clearance to get out and about maybe it's nature's way of saying don't get out and about especially if you live in a city or whatever

sure, if you're police/fire/EMS/hospital/ski patrol you probably need some ground clearance but otherwise why pay the price the entire other 345-355 days of the year where you don't need it?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All you need are good snow tires and liberal applications of torque.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I scrape my normal ride height WRX regularly going in and out of driveways and parking lots and such.

Not everyone lives where it is pancake flat and the approach angles of Subarus are terrible with the overhang.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

For an Alfa Romeo it's pretty standard looking and that is sad. You can see where it takes inspiration from the previous 4 door Alfas but it doesn't have the same sort of quirky flair of years gone by nor indeed the beauty of the much older cars

Maybe, but still pretty original for what can be done. I think it's the best looking car in that segment. When I'm getting a new car, and it's not something "old but cool", I'm pretty sure the Giulia will be the one I get. But then again, I'm a biased Alfa Romeo owner so.. :v:
If I can afford it, I won't be against getting a second hand QV.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I never had any problems even in deep snow with my S60R, which probably had worse ground clearance than a stock ride-height WRX (~4" iirc). That said, when I did scrape it was in the middle, not the front. With snow tires I could just push through it, with deeper snow getting jammed into the intercooler, which just means more power right? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because hospitals don't close?