Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

quote:

I [24f] was just uninvited from a wedding that had already started. Am I overreacting?

Today, my 24m partner and I (let's call him Eric) were invited to the wedding of one of his oldest friends from school. We received our save the date months ago, and the invite was addressed "to Eric and Vicky". Our invite stated we were invited for the whole shebang, the service, the breakfast and the evening reception. Our Rvsp required both of our dietary requirements for the breakfast, which we replied to ages ago. I thought this was pretty awesome and generous of the bride and groom, as I had never met either of them and Eric was only close with the bride, so it was a very nice gesture.
The wedding is a few hours away from where we live, and since neither of us drive, I booked train tickets in advance which came to about £60 each return and an air bnb, which worked out at £90 between us (we don't earn a lot so this is quite a big spend to justify, however since they had invited us to the whole wedding we thought it would be rude not to go). The bride also specified colours we should wear, so I bought a new outfit since I didn't have anything formal that would be suitable. Not the end of the world, but with Christmas coming up it was a bit difficult and I had to be really frugal all through November to make it work. Total spend was probably double what I would spend monthly on "fun" stuff like going out for dinner or drinks or new clothes.
We got to the service and it was beautiful, the bride looked lovely and it was very emotional. I get nervous at weddings (couldn't say why!) and so I hadn't eaten beforehand, figuring the 4 course breakfast would fill me up nicely. After the ceremony, we went straight into the venue to have drinks and sit down at tables. We were towards the back of the line into the venue and so half the congregation had already sat down. We glanced at the seating plan, saw Eric's name and headed over.
There was no place setting for me. Eric found his name but there weren't any free seats at the table. Eric sat down, and I asked an usher whether there was a mistake. He didn't know, so he waved over the bride. She and I had never met before, but she seemed friendly - until she opened her mouth.
"Oh no, you're not part of the breakfast - the invitation was just for the reception and service. You're welcome to come back later."
This was in front of most of the guests who had already sat down, in a big venue - probably 140ish seats. The usher suggested I go to the pub. Eric didn't know what to do but didn't want to cause a scene, so he stayed put and quiet. I quite literally have never felt so embarrassed and humiliated in my life. I left, and it was raining heavily (hadn't brought an umbrella, since it was an indoor wedding) and being in a rural place, I had to walk about 20 minutes to get anywhere else. The usher had suggested a pub where "the other guests are" so I just kept walking, but my shoes were literally ruined and soaked through. As well as being pretty drat cold because it's December and I was dressed for a wedding.
Get to the pub to find a handful of merrymakers drinking heavily (at 2pm) in wedding clothes, introduced myself kind of awkwardly as they were total strangers, and they were luckily really nice. They invited me to sit with them and tell them about the service - all of them had only been invited to the reception. I asked one of them if I could see their invite, and it was crystal clear that they were evening guests. There was no mention of the service or the breakfast, nor their dietary requirements. I apparently was the only person who was invited, and then uninvited, to the whole 'do. I sat with them and had some food, because I was starving, but they all started leaving to "get ready" at about 4pm. Being a total stranger, I didn't think it best to ask to come with them, but I had never been to this town before and besides Eric, I didn't know anybody. Since being ejected at 1.30pm ish, I was expected to just hang until 7.30pm when the reception started.
So I left. I feel so unwelcome and unwanted that I just wanted to go home. The evening do will start in about half an hour, without me, but I just can't bring myself to attend knowing that half the guests watched me being asked to leave by the bride herself. I traded in my train ticket, which was a return for tomorrow, and now I'm travelling back alone. I texted Eric to tell him, but he didn't respond. I've been holding back tears since I was ejected, 6 hours ago, and I feel completely torn. I don't understand what happened with the invite, whether it was a mistake or whether I was just supposed to know that it was only for Eric - despite being addressed to both of us, despite asking for both of our dietary requirements, despite explicitly stating we were invited to the whole wedding. Part of me feels like I should have gone to the evening reception too, but I'm soaked through, my hair and makeup look awful, my shoes are unwearable (I am barefoot on a really gross floor right now) and I'm freezing. I look a mess and I feel so stupid.
Did I mess up here? I feel like I've just been totally hosed over, and I'm really upset that Eric didn't stand up for me or say anything or leave the breakfast with me, although I think that's less because of malice and more that he's just a bit hopeless when put on the spot. I've never heard of a wedding where you invite a plus 1, by name, but then they aren't invited to as much of the wedding as the other half of the couple. Nobody else at the wedding had this happen. I don't see how it can be personal since I've never met any of them before. I'm really upset and can't wrap my head around how weird today has been. If this happened to you what would you do?
Tldr; went to a wedding, got uninvited halfway through. Am I overreacting by being hurt?

Holy gently caress that's plain lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

You miss 100% of the foursomes you don't inappropriately proposition via group message.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

You miss 100% of the foursomes you don't inappropriately proposition via group message.

- Wayne Brady

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Wayne Brady posted:

-Michael Scott

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The guy's main mistake is that there is a clear order to the group-sex process and "proposition people who you don't know very well and whose sexual orientation does not match up with you, with your girlfriend watching" is step number a billion, not step number one

like, steps number one through thirty are assorted variations on "make sure your girlfriend is open to the abstract idea, and if she isn't, then stop rather than make an idiot out of yourself in public" and it doesn't even sound like he ran it by her

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Also maybe stop to think that this lesbian couple who have a child together might not want YOUR MAN DICK.

Though I guess you covered that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Also maybe stop to think that this lesbian couple who have a child together might not want YOUR MAN DICK.

Though I guess you covered that.

yeah "do we know any cute open-minded bisexuals" is step number 58 or so, "gently caress it let's roll the dice with confirmed lesbians" is step number infinity

e: you could maybe sell it if (a) your completely-on-board-for-group-sex girlfriend was the one to ask them, not you, and (b) one of the ground rules was that you're not allowed to touch them, but even then it's a stretch

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Honestly, I half suspect there is a 4chan thread to compliment the girlfriend's reddit thread which goes "write some poo poo and I'll send it to my gf and her lesbian friends, trust me I'll do it". That sort of thing is popular there, using "I was hacked" as the excuse. But even if true it would just add an extra layer to his being a dick.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

almightyerin posted:

It's real weird how her boyfriend didn't stand up for her, leave with her to hang out until the evening, anything but ignoring her and not giving her a call for 6 (!!) hours. Assuming her boyfriend and the bride are really that close, how hard is it to bring her aside and talk to her privately???? I know it's a /r/relationships cliche that people never communicate, but this one is so odd.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 10, 2016

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

childfree post posted:

I never get mad or annoyed at children who are acting up, being loud or obnoxious or are generally pains in the asses. I have trained myself to remember that it's not the kid's fault - it's their parents fault.

How hard is it to understand that kids are not tiny adults that always respond rationally? Great parents can have great kids that still act up sometimes. I'd be concerned if my kids didn't.

For any goon parents out there, this reminds me of a fantastic trick I learned the other day. If your small child is acting up in a social situation where you need them to shut the hell up RIGHT NOW but they've worked themselves up, you can tell them "You seem upset. I wouldn't laugh if you're that upset. You better not laugh! Only happy people laugh!" and it'll snap them out of their tantrum because they'll try and fail to not laugh.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 10, 2016

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

almightyerin posted:

That bride is an rear end in a top hat and I don't think she (the girlfriend) would be out of line asking her boyfriend to have a little chat with his friend.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Solus M.D. posted:

That bride is an rear end in a top hat and I don't think she (the girlfriend) would be out of line asking her boyfriend to have a little chat with his friend.

e: I doubt he'd talk to her considering what he did in the first place

I understand that her boyfriend has trouble acting in that situation but drat, I can't imagine just letting her just walk out while I stayed there. I wouldn't give a gently caress about "making a scene" if somebody publicly humiliated my wife like that. Especially considering "making a scene" is leaving with your girlfriend.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2016

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I understand that her boyfriend has trouble acting in that situation but drat, I can't imagine just letting her just walk out while I stayed there. I wouldn't give a gently caress about "making a scene" if somebody publicly humiliated my wife like that. Especially considering "making a scene" is leaving with your girlfriend.

Yeah seriously, even if I was at like my sister's wedding or something and that poo poo happened I would make sure the person I love isn't totally embarrassed and cast out into the cold alone.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

That's why her boyfriend is a weird as heck rear end in a top hat. It's one thing to be scared over making decisions in awkward social situations. I get that, even if I have no qualms about speaking up in lovely, awkward situations. It's another thing to completely ignore your girlfriend after she went out of her way to attend a wedding with your sorry rear end.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 10, 2016

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

e: I doubt he'd talk to her considering what he did in the first place

Ah, I completely glossed over that part. Yeah even with any sort of social anxiety that's a dick move on his part. lovely behavior all around, I feel bad for the OP.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Yeah, he's a world class pussy, I'd certainly leave with her, not let her wander down the road in her dress and heels. The wedding people can get hosed. And inviting people to any sort of event like that without a plus one is a cheapshit way to be - if you can't afford to invite a couple, you can't afford to invite the person.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
He has to be the bride's "friendzone" bitch or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the move would be to just grab an armful of wedding poo poo (gifts, flowers etc) and then immediately leave, making sure to never speak to these people again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

And inviting people to any sort of event like that without a plus one is a cheapshit way to be - if you can't afford to invite a couple, you can't afford to invite the person.

yeah uh have you planned a wedding before, because they can/do balloon out of control if you're not very careful and this is one of many ways that can happen

We explicitly invited S/Os if they were married, engaged, or cohabitating, or if we knew the S/O well enough that we considered them a friend as well, and nobody else got a +1, and it was relatively drama-free.

That said, you have to be crystal clear about it, and having different "tiers" of wedding guests that are only invited to some events and not others is just asking for poo poo like this to happen. Poor planning caused a bad situation that was handled poorly. Everyone you invite to your wedding should be invited to your whole wedding. If there's a part of it you don't want them at, don't invite them to any part of it.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

loquacius posted:

yeah uh have you planned a wedding before, because they can/do balloon out of control if you're not very careful and this is one of many ways that can happen

We explicitly invited S/Os if they were married, engaged, or cohabitating, or if we knew the S/O well enough that we considered them a friend as well, and nobody else got a +1, and it was relatively drama-free.

That said, you have to be crystal clear about it, and having different "tiers" of wedding guests that are only invited to some events and not others is just asking for poo poo like this to happen. Poor planning caused a bad situation that was handled poorly. Everyone you invite to your wedding should be invited to your whole wedding. If there's a part of it you don't want them at, don't invite them to any part of it.

What are you including under the umbrella of "the whole wedding"?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

What are you including under the umbrella of "the whole wedding"?

Basically this person's problem is that she was invited to the ceremony (which she went to) and the reception (which hadn't happened yet at the time of the writing) but not the "breakfast" (the thing she was kicked out of). There should not be events at your wedding that only some guests are invited to (apart from your rehearsal obv which is only for your wedding party). This bride overcomplicated things and feelings were bound to get hurt.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

loquacius posted:

Basically this person's problem is that she was invited to the ceremony (which she went to) and the reception (which hadn't happened yet at the time of the writing) but not the "breakfast" (the thing she was kicked out of). There should not be events at your wedding that only some guests are invited to (apart from your rehearsal obv which is only for your wedding party). This bride overcomplicated things and feelings were bound to get hurt.

I agree with you for sure. I thought you might be talking about the rehearsal dinner or an family brunch the next day. Something are just for close people especially if you have a large wedding. It cuts down on costs dramatically. But inviting one person to everything while excluding their SO within the same invitation is stupid and confusing and the dude should have spent that time with his lady.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

loquacius posted:

yeah uh have you planned a wedding before.

Yes. Two of them, actually. Both times the event was planned specifically to maximize the number of people that could come, so all the idiotic fancy poo poo was out and the food was simple, but anybody who want to come was welcome.

quote:

Agreed 1000%

\/\/ what this poster said, exactly\/\/

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 10, 2016

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

The problem is that the bride publicly humiliated OP and her boyfriend sat there stonefaced while she left in the rain. It has nothing to do with the wedding setup at all, even if I agree that the bride hosed up in ever doing it that way. The bride's reaction should have been "Oh, sorry for the confusion. Let me get another chair for you." In lieu of that, boyfriend should have stepped up to the plate and done something.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 10, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The problem is that the bride publicly humiliated OP and her boyfriend sat there stonefaced while she left in the rain. It has nothing to do with the wedding setup at all, even if I agree that the bride hosed up in ever doing it that way. The bride's reaction should have been "Oh, sorry for the confusion. Let me get another chair for you." In lieu of that, boyfriend should have stepped up to the plate and done something.
Not going to lie, if I were the boyfriend I would have offered her my seat and just chilled. At the very least. Or we could both have gone to the pub.

Not convinced I'd make a scene or anything. I don't care that much about weddings and stuff and I'll be content either way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 10, 2016

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Right? Going catatonic at the first hint of awkwardness is not how adults deal with things.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

Not going to lie, if I were the boyfriend I would have offered her my seat and just chilled. At the very least. Or we could both have gone to the pub.

Yeah, same here. If it were me in that situation, I would have given the bride the finger for pulling that poo poo and gotten drunk with my girlfriend at the bar while laughing about it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh absolutely, hence poor planning causing a situation what was handled poorly. You shouldn't have events half your guests are invited to and half aren't, and if you do you shouldn't split up couples, and if you do and someone's date got confused by your convoluted-rear end poo poo and shows up to something they weren't invited to, you should handle it with more subtlety than this. OP is within her rights to boycott the rest of the wedding, and hopefully her boyfriend does too.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Wedding guest tiers are soooo tacky and a great way to make people angry at you. Just plan according to size, Christ. If you can't afford to let all your guests be a part of the whole experience then figure out an option that allows it or don't do it. Just tacky and cheap looking, plain and simple.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How hard would it have been for the bride to just play it off 'sorry I thought I added you on the list' and let her stay? Especially when given an event big enough you'll have no-shows anyway.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Bride Lady probably groomed the boyfriend to divorce himself from reality when awkward pub-lic situations happen, hence why he took it sitting down.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I don't think it's worth making a big deal out of the breakfast at the time, even if it's lovely of the bride and groom. However, making a big deal out of it doesn't include going 'Oh, sorry, we thought there'd be room for both of us! I'll just take girlfriend and we'll head over to the pub.'

That's a perfectly pleasant thing to say that makes the bride look like a goddamn rear end in a top hat with no added effort.

Unless for some reason her boyfriend is secretly okay with her being excluded but jeez what could that be I just don't know.

Edit: he didn't even text her back after she told him she was going home alone Oh my God girl no

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 10, 2016

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Wedding tiers are pretty common in the UK, where this couple are from. I think I've only ever been to one wedding where there weren't tiers.

I went to one where the service, meal, and reception were all held in the same room, but I was only invited to the first and third parts, so I had to make myself scarce for the middle bit. It was super awkward.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

loquacius posted:

I'm going to go reread the post but I believe part of the problem was that she was invited to everything. There was nothing on the invitation suggesting they weren't both invited to everything.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tears In A Vial posted:

Wedding tiers are pretty common in the UK, where this couple are from. I think I've only ever been to one wedding where there weren't tiers.

I went to one where the service, meal, and reception were all held in the same room, but I was only invited to the first and third parts, so I had to make myself scarce for the middle bit. It was super awkward.

I've only ever seen one wedding do that, my husband and I were invited to both but our friend who we thought were as close to the bride as us but she was only invited to the ceremony, and was really insulted by it. It seems especially weird to not invite someone to the middle part. Again, just comes across as super tacky to me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm going to go reread the post but I believe part of the problem was that she was invited to everything. There was nothing on the invitation suggesting they weren't both invited to everything.

Yeah the invitation had both of their names on it and it said they were invited to everything.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Tears In A Vial posted:

It's weird to have not been included in the dinner, since I've only known the tiering to pretty much centre on the reception. Whoever is at the ceremony is at the meal, and then more guests pop along for the reception. Coworkers, acquaintances, etc.
But even in U.K weddings with their "two" guest lists, doing what was done to the OP would be super scummy.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
The bride is a piece of poo poo and the boyfriend needs to grow a spine, but that lady could have stood up for herself too. "Actually, we were both invited to this part of the wedding. The invitation had both our names on it. You asked for my dietary preferences. The two of us are here together, there must be some kind of mistake." Yeah she doesn't know the bride and is only there because of her boyfriend, but come on. Also, walking 20 minutes in the rain knowing full well it's going to ruin your clothes and makeup? Do they not have taxi cabs in her part of the world? Even staying put and wasting 3 hours on your phone would be preferable to that. I get a liiiiiittle bit of a "intentionally wallowing in self pity and drama" vibe here.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 11, 2016

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Anony Mouse posted:

Even staying put and wasting 3 hours on your phone would be preferable to that. I get a liiiiiittle bit of a "intentionally wallowing in self pity and drama" vibe here.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I would sit right outside that brunch door with my phone and gently caress around for the entirety of the meal. Well, actually I probably would have just changed my ticket and gone home right then - especially if my boyfriend didn't stick up for me or leave with me. Going home would give me ample time to throw his poo poo on the lawn where it belongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Naerasa posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I would sit right outside that brunch door with my phone and gently caress around for the entirety of the meal. Well, actually I probably would have just changed my ticket and gone home right then - especially if my boyfriend didn't stick up for me or leave with me. Going home would give me ample time to throw his poo poo on the lawn where it belongs.

Someone has never tried changing a train ticket in the UK, basically imagine it'll probably 3 times the original cost again.

That is pretty lovely though. Admittedly the bride/whoever could have made a mistake with the info, and you don't want to confront her about it too much on her day - but the boyfriend is a dick.

Solution: Open the relationship