Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
2016 can eat a bag of dicks. Opened up our Rubbermaid tote full of holiday memories to find loving black mold. My wife and I have no kids and may not be able to have them, and this tote was full of books we had from when I was a kid, ones we had found and save like cloth book versions of Christmas stories, cards people had sent us including my grandmother who is dead. All of it wet and moldy.

My wife is an archivist and may be able to save some of it, but who knows. gently caress 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cat ran away.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

QuarkMartial posted:

2016 can eat a bag of dicks. Opened up our Rubbermaid tote full of holiday memories to find loving black mold.

gently caress 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress, I'm sorry guys :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Had a string of jackass customers today that was broken by a trip to drop stuff off at a shop. They had a durango with some meaty at tires chilling at the shop which was a tad odd, since this shop exclusively deals with gen 3/4 ls based performance stuff and swaps. The hood was up so I snuck a peak. It had an ls3 in it with an lsa blower on top. Swap was clean as hell and the guys were just doing some troubleshooting after the owner had it in several big name florida performance shops with no fix found. It was a good day.

Edit: gently caress, better than ya'lls days. Sorry guys. :(:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah, it's okay. She'll either come back, or I'll be down the cat that Pees On Things. It's the wife that is saddest.

At risk of repeating my fuck2014.gif fiasco and the promised ban, uh..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What MGS said. 2016 has been a rollercoaster. For me, that rollercoaster is under water at the moment.

I MIGHT have a lead on getting into auto finance through a friend who's been in it for a long time. He told me they're hiring for entry level and to get my resume polished up. Fingers crossed...

Fermented Tinal posted:

but I like the knob.

Join the club buddy :v::hf::gay:

ilkhan posted:

My plate and my PINs have all been assigned. Who changes their PIN? Is that even possible? I've never looked.

I haven't had an assigned PIN in at least a decade. When I'm issued a card, if it's for a new account and I'm opening it in person, they have me type it into a number pad that I assume is encrypted. If it's online, they ask me what I want the PIN to be - either at account opening or when I activate the card.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

If you set your own pin keep in mind they leaked a whole bunch a while back. When you set one make sure it's not on that list, any thieves will almost certainly try one off there first.

Lmao this is the list of every combination of four digits isn't it

Edit: it is

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why is everyone I know hard to shop for for Christmas?

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Lmao this is the list of every combination of four digits isn't it

Edit: it is

:golfclap:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why is everyone I know hard to shop for for Christmas?

We hit IKEA on MOnday and they had all sorts of crap for $1-2 on the second floor so I loaded up and got gag gifts for everybody I know.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

2016 had its ups and downs.
Crashing the 107 was a self-inflicted low point but getting engaged was a high point

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I can agree with that.

Love my new job that I fought so hard to get, but am not as good at it as I had hoped. Won't be surprised if I get fired soon. GF dumped my rear end about 6 months ago because I replace smoking weed with drinking and she didn't like that. Blah.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can agree with that.

Love my new job that I fought so hard to get, but am not as good at it as I had hoped. Won't be surprised if I get fired soon. GF dumped my rear end about 6 months ago because I replace smoking weed with drinking and she didn't like that. Blah.

At least 2016 had been good for somebody

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

We hit IKEA on MOnday and they had all sorts of crap for $1-2 on the second floor so I loaded up and got gag gifts for everybody I know.

Everybody needs a stuffed rat.

freelop posted:

2016 had its ups and downs.
Crashing the 107 was a self-inflicted low point but getting engaged was a high point

D'aww :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Aside from a few things 2016 has been the best year ever, sorry dudes

House is getting closer to habitable, got married, got a comanche running and driving and street legal for the first time since 2013 and picked up a J10, replaced shitbox DD with less-shitboxy DD...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
2016 has been "Meh" for me. I fear 2017 and the Trump fiasco.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

:( Put the litter box outside, it'll recognize it's own scent.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sometimes cats can take a long time to return home. My parents' cat just came back a couple weeks ago after running out in the spring. He was gone for almost 6 months and we'd figured him gone for good.

I ended up doing a lot of reading about the topic and it's my understanding that going outside for the first time is overwhelming for them, as such mIssing cats rarely go very far, usually no more than a few hundred feet. Then they hide for up to a couple weeks, but at some point hunger wins out and they come home. Places to check are under cars, decks, sheds, etc. Even when they see and recognize their human(s), they're very much still in flight mode and instead of going after them once located, it's better to wait them out to avoid making them go further from home. Other things can influence how long it takes them to come back, like my parents' cat had to contend with the local feral population and I imagine he came home when hunger finally won out over fear of his former littermates.

tl;dr: The cat likely wants to return home and will the moment it realizes it can, but all the new things are scary.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

At risk of repeating my fuck2014.gif fiasco and the promised ban, uh..

Without a doubt.. However December has loving ROCKED.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Obligatory 5 guys post.

First time eating here, nice if a tad over hyped

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

freelop posted:

Obligatory 5 guys post.

First time eating here, nice if a tad over hyped

Fries are the draw, burgers aren't bad.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

The fries are pretty great to be sure

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Holy loving poo poo my laptop battery just popped and burst into flames in my lap. :stare:

My lap is fine, but I'm now sat in A&E because I have a sore throat and cough, and I know enough about lithium chemistry to know I might have huffed something nasty. It's like an hour later and my pulse is still ~115.

*E* Also according to my hot male nurse it's me that stinks of it, I probably can't taste it. Good to know!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^I guess your avatar was a challenge?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Haha poo poo I've had this avatar forever, guess it's time for a change...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I slow-cookered a pork casserole for 8 hours and it was loving divine. Now I'm drinking rum & lemon & lime and watching westworld. My wife has acquiesced to the christmas decorations going up tomorrow (she doesn't really like christmas because she lost her deeply beloved G.Pa 22nd Dec. when she was a teenager) so me & the kids get that done tomorrow. Work could be better but that's just politics'n'poo poo, 2016's not the worst year I've had, there will be more, there will be highs, there will be lows.

Basically if you're having a bad year I'd give you a hug, but rum does that. If you're having a good year hold onto that through the bad ones.

And yeah, if you're having a really bad time get in touch with someone, anyone, even me, talking helps.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I had planned on making smoked chicken tonight, but ended up with carne asada instead. Maybe I'll do chicken tomorrow, since they're only like 4 bucks.

Christmas does suck, though. I'm better nowadays, but my dad died on the 23rd when I was a kid. Kinda took the cheer out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

Holy loving poo poo my laptop battery just popped and burst into flames in my lap. :stare:

My lap is fine, but I'm now sat in A&E because I have a sore throat and cough, and I know enough about lithium chemistry to know I might have huffed something nasty. It's like an hour later and my pulse is still ~115.

*E* Also according to my hot male nurse it's me that stinks of it, I probably can't taste it. Good to know!

I hope your genitals are unscathed

(I bet Hallmark do a card with that on it)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can agree with that.

Hey at least you got your choice of lovely president

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jammyozzy posted:

OEM battery (and if so, what brand)?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

nm posted:

OEM battery (and if so, what brand)?

Nah it was an aftermarket one for my T410, I'm actually trying to find the original invoice now but no luck so far.

My lousy defence is I was a student when I bought it and a real battery was a significant chunk of my annual income. Besides, an OEM sticker is no guarantee that a battery won't burst into flames, just ask any Note 7 owners. :haw:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Had our work xmas party last night, drank many top shelf vodkas on the company dime while the wife guzzled a bottle of champagne. Tipping the bartender a $20 early is how you make these nights a success, a simple nod at your empty glass while standing at the end of the bar and the line is 15+ deep and boom. Refill.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Battery fire update. During:

(I was somewhat unwilling to go out and get some clearer shots)

Aftermath:

I think it's dead, guys.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
To be fair to 2016, when was the last year y'all didn't end it going "gently caress [current year]"? I remember the same drat memes for 2012/2013/2014/2015.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

To be fair to 2016, when was the last year y'all didn't end it going "gently caress [current year]"? I remember the same drat memes for 2012/2013/2014/2015.

Didnt rack 170k in medical bills during the years of 2012-2015. This year however...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

FYGM.txt

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cursedshitbox posted:

Didnt rack 170k in medical bills during the years of 2012-2015. This year however...

Yup. Only ~30k in my case but gently caress this noise.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to car show, spent 4 1/2 hours looking at mostly imports. A lot of really well done cars with either lots of hp, great looks or both. Alot of cambered out bullshit too, but hey, different strokes and all. Realized I want a decent camera for poo poo like this, cell phone doesn't cut it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

ilkhan posted:

On the upside, I started a new job that I love and will become a principal over (part of or the whole thing) the school in the next few years.

But, when 2016 hits, it hits hard. Anxiety and depression from losing my job earlier in the year and dealing with administrators that constantly tried to intimidate me; quitting my side job and taking this new job meant a large paycut. Spent the better part of May through November worrying and stressing about money; got behind from not being paid in the summer, and then only getting paid once a month made it hard to come back. Lots of stress about money, which has cleared up some now that it's the holidays. Job does not offer health insurance, so I go through the marketplace and will be paying ~400/mo next year since we can't get a tax break.

Even more on the downside, my wife and I found her grandmother in the floor on Easter; she had fallen during the night and couldn't get to the phone. She was barely mobile before, was totally bedridden after that. Watched my in-laws fight and argue and stress over her being at home and trying to provide care and keep her out of a nursing home. Then when she was put in a home, watched them stress over the home not taking proper care and the grandmother nearly dying.... Only to move to a better nursing home and not get better. She is now on hospice and probably won't live to see Christmas.

2015 was pretty bad, but most of it was stupid stuff I did to myself and 2016 was spent dealing with it. The rest, though, is out of our control and sucks rear end.

I plan to make 2017 my bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Battery fire update. During:

(I was somewhat unwilling to go out and get some clearer shots)

Aftermath:

I think it's dead, guys.

I am so glad you are okay.

• Locked thread