Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

negromancer posted:

that's mental insanity where you literally don't know right from wrong.

It is... if you're talking about a legal defense to a criminal offense (and heavily oversimplifying it). So simply not knowing right from wrong isn't insanity or necessarily a reason to be involuntarily committed, absent criminal charges and a specific line of defense against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

His mental illness doesn't preclude him from knowing right from wrong.
If he's bipolar and having a manic episode, yes it does.

quote:

If it did, he would be committed involuntarily, because that's mental insanity where you literally don't know right from wrong.

To the best of my knowledge, the US has a "clear and present danger" criterion for involuntary commitment, so if he's not suicidal and not a present threat, he can be as off his rocker as he wants and not get committed.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

If he's bipolar and having a manic episode, yes it does.

To the best of my knowledge, the US has a "clear and present danger" criterion for involuntary commitment, so if he's not suicidal and not a present threat, he can be as off his rocker as he wants and not get committed.

I don't know about you, but I consider any black person that talks about supporting Trump as a clear and present danger to themselves and others.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favorite liberal talking point is "well demographic changes are going to make Republicans obsolete in x years" and it's only white folks saying that, because black people know what Apartheid is and how white supremacy controlled a country where white people were a hella tiny minority.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
From my own experience, being bipolar can seriously gently caress with you. I had to go into the bank one time and specifically give them instructions to block all transactions when I have a manic period because one time I literally spent all my money, including my savings. Other times I've destroyed all documents and files pertaining to a project I was working on, including all backups, because I was convinced that it was poo poo and I was doing the world a favour.

That being said, manic episodes can be very fun provided you have measures to control the damage. Some of the best creative work I've ever done was during them. It's better than a cocaine high.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

I think my favorite liberal talking point is "well demographic changes are going to make Republicans obsolete in x years" and it's only white folks saying that, because black people know what Apartheid is and how white supremacy controlled a country where white people were a hella tiny minority.

Before the election my friends and I did have a lot of faith in this, but now I'm trying to push them away from it since we've just had another example of republicans winning without getting the most votes. I'm rapidly realizing it's just another excuse to remain politically unengaged from people that want someone else to do the dirty work of democracy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

negromancer posted:

How about generational ones? Wasn't there a very different potential outcome to the election if you looked at how younger people voted? Do you think it'll be just as bad when all the Boomers die off?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Panfilo posted:

How about generational ones? Wasn't there a very different potential outcome to the election if you looked at how younger people voted? Do you think it'll be just as bad when all the Boomers die off?

I think given America has voluntary voting, its very dangerous to assume the demographics will hold 4/8/12 years down the line. There is much the polls don't catch, and if a candidate strikes the right chord a lot of people will show up for quite some time.

There are plenty of nasty people ready to take the place of Boomers, and they will vote if they feel their place in the world threatened. The reality distortion field that is being white is a hell of a drug.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think given America has voluntary voting, its very dangerous to assume the demographics will hold 4/8/12 years down the line. There is much the polls don't catch, and if a candidate strikes the right chord a lot of people will show up for quite some time.

There are plenty of nasty people ready to take the place of Boomers, and they will vote if they feel their place in the world threatened. The reality distortion field that is being white is a hell of a drug.

Yeah but are they as big of a % as Boomers?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

The thing is there are around four generations in any giving voting populace. Right now it's Millennials, Gen X, Boomers, and the Silents. In 30 years when the Boomers are all pretty much gone, we'll have Gen Z and Millennial-spawn to deal with, and they could turn out to be fascists for all we know. WWII, the holocaust, and that entire fascist period are passing out of living memory right now, and god knows what's going to grow with that shadow gone.

And that's all assuming the Millennials stay/become some great liberal bastion, which is not given at all. We're not as liberal as people like to think, and there are far too many of us willing to throw over actual leftward progress for some token concession on the least controversial parts of the social issues. And that's probably going to happen because Trump showed that you don't actually have to pander to the Evangelicals to get that voting block. They'll make up their own story about how you're right with the lord, and throw their vote in for destroying public education and ending abortion anyways.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

The thing is there are around four generations in any giving voting populace. Right now it's Millennials, Gen X, Boomers, and the Silents. In 30 years when the Boomers are all pretty much gone, we'll have Gen Z and Millennial-spawn to deal with, and they could turn out to be fascists for all we know. WWII, the holocaust, and that entire fascist period are passing out of living memory right now, and god knows what's going to grow with that shadow gone.

And that's all assuming the Millennials stay/become some great liberal bastion, which is not given at all. We're not as liberal as people like to think, and there are far too many of us willing to throw over actual leftward progress for some token concession on the least controversial parts of the social issues. And that's probably going to happen because Trump showed that you don't actually have to pander to the Evangelicals to get that voting block. They'll make up their own story about how you're right with the lord, and throw their vote in for destroying public education and ending abortion anyways.

That and its Millenials and their spawn that are on 4chan making racist memes and whatnot. I think white people like the idea of progress, but don't like the work that comes with it, and to be honest, people don't like having to give up a built in advantage, when you get it by doing nothing but letting the system work as its intended. I mean, I've had to actively pass up promotions to ensure a qualified woman got them because she was hilariously more qualified than me. But I had to actively recognize that and shoot myself in the foot financially to have the right thing happen, and most people, regardless of race, aren't going to do that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

That and its Millenials and their spawn that are on 4chan making racist memes and whatnot. I think white people like the idea of progress, but don't like the work that comes with it, and to be honest, people don't like having to give up a built in advantage, when you get it by doing nothing but letting the system work as its intended. I mean, I've had to actively pass up promotions to ensure a qualified woman got them because she was hilariously more qualified than me. But I had to actively recognize that and shoot myself in the foot financially to have the right thing happen, and most people, regardless of race, aren't going to do that.

Well Millennial spawn are actually probably more into the Wiggles right now than the latest in racist memes, since their parents represent the upper end of the generation and are just hitting their thirties.

But the point otherwise stands. People are actually lazy and not incline to be self-sacrificing, even if the sacrifice is largely in their heads.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The oldest Millennials are nearing 40

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Anyone born before Reagan became president is not a millennial

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

80-83 is basically a generation gap, if you take all of the different time frames used to determine Gen X/Millennials.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Kids are now going to be brought up in a country where white supremacy is being normalized in a far more public fashion (I.E. the KKK getting fluff pieces in the papers/TV). It's going to be uphill from here.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Pastrymancy posted:

Kids are now going to be brought up in a country where white supremacy is being normalized in a far more public fashion (I.E. the KKK getting fluff pieces in the papers/TV). It's going to be uphill from here.

Exactly. How do people expect the future generations to get less racist when the mainstream media is writing about fashionable white supremacists?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

negromancer posted:

Exactly. How do people expect the future generations to get less racist when the mainstream media is writing about fashionable white supremacists?

Hopefully through the white supremacists being absolute laughable failures and embarrassments in a way that is highly visible but also causes a minimum amount of damage. Unfortunately, while I think the former is likely, I doubt we will be so lucky as to reach that point without a great deal of damage being done.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 12, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
so uhhh

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Prime opportunity for "Assassinate Me" sign on the back squandered imo.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Black folk are allowed to be dumb asses the same as white folk.
Also Kanye is rapidly approaching Tila Tequila levels of dumbcrazy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Untreated mental illness is a hell of a thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Lilly_Works/status/808703701917585408

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

Schizotek posted:

Also Kanye is rapidly approaching Tila Tequila levels of dumbcrazy.

There's some distance, he hasn't been photographed doing a nazi salute.

Lots of lowering the bar this year

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Kanye will run on the GOP ticket in 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CrazyLittle posted:

Kanye will run on the GOP ticket in 2020

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/808769227847036941

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The question then becomes; "Can the GOP base overcome their instinctual and virulent racism to vote for a black rapper?"

Nope.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They love race traitors though?

Shouts to Ben Barson.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dexo posted:

They love race traitors though?

Shouts to Ben Barson.

Renowned Neurosurgeon Ben Carson. Who lost his primary to Mammon itself. Judging by Fox News' takes on the subject, "The Rap Music" should be more than enough to disqualify Kanye from any form of success with the Republican base.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The only sin Republicans are not willing to forgive is the sin of not being a Republican.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Renowned Neurosurgeon Ben Carson. Who lost his primary to Mammon itself. Judging by Fox News' takes on the subject, "The Rap Music" should be more than enough to disqualify Kanye from any form of success with the Republican base.

Donald Trump has on numerous occasions insulted military members,veterans, and poor people. He is p much the personification of everything they say they hate in a person. They've had Ja Rule on their airwaves before.

It's Mostly this.

remusclaw posted:

The only sin Republicans are not willing to forgive is the sin of not being a Republican.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Schizotek posted:

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. Although it is fascinating to watch the dude who once called out Bush for not caring about black people palling around with Grand Wizard Trump. But gotta cut the guy some slack since his mental health is pretty compromised right now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/13/politics/jim-brown-cnn-newsroom-black-community-brooke-baldwin-cnntv/index.html

quote:

NFL legend Jim Brown stopped by Trump Tower Tuesday for a meeting pegged as a discussion about issues facing the African-American community, saying he "fell in love" with President-elect Donald Trump.

Though Brown voted for Hillary Clinton in November, he told CNN's Brooke Baldwin later Tuesday he came away from the meeting with a heart-warming sense of positivity.
"I fell in love with him because he really talks about helping African-American, black people and that's why I'm here," said Brown, a man many consider to be one of the NFL's greatest running backs.

I'm done. Everything is trash.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Playing for the Browns at a time of some of their greatest seasons and now seeing the current iteration should have been punishment enough.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

The Problem with Obama's faith in White America

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I've never truly been a fan of Obama for 2 reasons, one sorta danced around in the article but not explicitly said:

A man cannot serve 2 masters. Obama chose to serve white America, which is pretty much in opposition with the aims of black America at virtually any given time in history. Everyone was happy to see a black face, but I wanted to see some black action, which we did not whatsoever.

Secondly, I didn't understand why black folks ever thought a dude raised by white people in a way a fraction of a fraction of black people have been raised, would ever take our side when it came down to it, would ever understand the black struggle, would have that connection, when he has absolutely no connection to blackness that wasn't forced on him by white America or is first-hand. He has as much of a connection to blackness as Bill Burr, aka his wife is black, can trace her lineage back to slavery, and can identify with black people through shared experience regardless of where she goes in this country.

Having and being in blackness in and of itself that is not defined by whiteness is a crucial aspect of being black in your formative years to which he did not experience, so I have no reason to believe he would ever really protect it. I consider him our first biracial president, but not our first black president. Going through struggles with white people being racist doesn't make one black and neither does their silly rear end one drop rule. That makes as much sense as saying I got A's in math all my life and cook some mean unagi, so I'm Japanese now.

TL;DR: Obama is the first biracial president and black people should claim him as much as white people claim he's white. We need to stop buying into the one drop rule white America created to define blackness and accepting those who aren't going to actually do anything to defend and protect that blackness.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

negromancer posted:

which is pretty much in opposition with the aims of black America at virtually any given time in history.

Could you expand on this a little bit? It's one of those phrases that triggers an instant "Well that can't be right" reaction in my brain, but I could be riding some major unfounded assumptions.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

w

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Could you expand on this a little bit? It's one of those phrases that triggers an instant "Well that can't be right" reaction in my brain, but I could be riding some major unfounded assumptions.

I disagree with a bunch of that post. (Race is a social thing, Obama is black as gently caress. If someone saw him walking down the street they say he's a black dude, not mixed)

But typically those in power will almost always be in contrast to those without power as it very rarely happens that those in power are willing to give up said power.

"White America" has had all of the power in this country since it's inception. Right down to the laws and constitution designed around keeping the slave states happy(shouts to the Electoral College and the 3/5ths compromise). And Laws and enforcement that specifically target black people.

The only progress black people have ever made in this country has come from some combination of guilt, embarrasment and violence.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

w

I disagree with a bunch of that post. (Race is a social thing, Obama is black as gently caress. If someone saw him walking down the street they say he's a black dude, not mixed)

But typically those in power will almost always be in contrast to those without power as it very rarely happens that those in power are willing to give up said power.

"White America" has had all of the power in this country since it's inception. Right down to the laws and constitution designed around keeping the slave states happy(shouts to the Electoral College and the 3/5ths compromise). And Laws and enforcement that specifically target black people.

The only progress black people have ever made in this country has come from some combination of guilt, embarrasment and violence.

Ah okay. I was framing the statement as "the goals of black and white Americans are in direct competition with one another".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[ed; not worth it]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread