Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Classical Muzak posted:

gently caress that. Being an overpowered murdergod is the best.

I concur! Kinda fun blasting through enemies since most hunts around your level can take a bit. You get a bit of both vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So what's the best way to drag up Rare Coins? I was kind of dumb in the early game and sold off a bunch before I knew of the benefits.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Do hunts count for the sidequest trophy count? I'd rather stick to them and the unique sidequests than the "drive somewhere, pick up an item and come back" variety

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Classical Muzak posted:

gently caress that. Being an overpowered murdergod is the best.

Absolutely, There is plenty of stuff post game that will kick the absolute poo poo out of you even at max level with the best equipment so nothing wrong with blasting through the story like a bastard.

Legs Benedict posted:

dont listen to this person whose account name is freakishly accurate

do pitioss, it's good

Pitioss is a great area, don't get me wrong. It's like Dark Souls and Silent Hill had a dank, disgusting child and I love the vibe. However, navigating it with a character that feels like a loving pogo stick with a rollerskate attached to the bottom is an absolute nightmare. I can't even count the amount of times I would be trying to make a small adjustment on a tiny platform and Noctis would sprint right off the edge like an idiot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nina posted:

Do hunts count for the sidequest trophy count? I'd rather stick to them and the unique sidequests than the "drive somewhere, pick up an item and come back" variety

I'm almost 100% sure one of those trophies popped when I handed in a hunt.

Almost.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So what's the best method for fighting Coeurls? There's got to be something messed up with them because are the biggest pain in the rear end.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Skeezy posted:

So what's the best method for fighting Coeurls? There's got to be something messed up with them because are the biggest pain in the rear end.

In my experience. Die a whole bunch.

The hunt to take out 5-6 of them can gently caress right off. Took me 3 or 4 attempts even though I was about 20 levels over the requirement. Try to focus them down one by one while your party pulls aggro from the rest and chase them down if they try to run away because I believe they can heal shitloads and insta-death you randomly.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Skeezy posted:

Magic, just like everything else.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nina posted:

Get the one for camping too

I got both the camping upgrades and the one that gives AP for cooking favorite food. I pretty much always make the mother and child rice bowl so it was a good investment.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Yodzilla posted:

What loving game did Biggs and Wedge fall out of. I know their names are a wink wink nudge nudge but it feels like certain sets of characters were designed by completely different teams that never talked.

Aranea looks like a Soul Calibur reject but she's the most interesting person in this drat game.

This whole game feels like 20 different teams worked separately from one another, and considering this game was in the works for ~10 years I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

This game feels like an HD-remastered version of an early PS3-era open world game. The controls, UI, and gameplay are clunky as hell, and something as simple as picking up an item can become frustrating as hell as the camera works against you and sometimes despite the "press X to pick up" icon appearing you'll just jump instead.

Overall the experience is enjoyable, but that's despite all of this weird extraneous bullshit like taking forever to go from point A to point B. How come sometimes I can fast travel and I can't other times? It feels like the internal logic of the game isn't entirely consistent, and I can never tell when that's going to be the case.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

This whole game feels like 20 different teams worked separately from one another, and considering this game was in the works for ~10 years I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

This game feels like an HD-remastered version of an early PS3-era open world game. The controls, UI, and gameplay are clunky as hell, and something as simple as picking up an item can become frustrating as hell as the camera works against you and sometimes despite the "press X to pick up" icon appearing you'll just jump instead.

Overall the experience is enjoyable, but that's despite all of this weird extraneous bullshit like taking forever to go from point A to point B. How come sometimes I can fast travel and I can't other times? It feels like the internal logic of the game isn't entirely consistent, and I can never tell when that's going to be the case.

You can quick travel to places you've been to before that aren't quests

its incredibly straightforward.

Controls clunky, ui?
super barebones, there was never a time where i was like "man this ui isn't working"
features, yeah, like having maybe 8 weapons equitable instead of 4 would have been nice.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

air- posted:

You'll spend plenty of time in the car and might as well get free AP. Camping (I use status/element immunity recipes ALL the time), chocobo riding, and possibly fishing (I found fishing to be pretty fun) are all good too.

Another dumb thing about the Type-F, I don't think flying around counts towards Regalia AP.

What a worthless thing.

SectumSempra posted:

You can quick travel to places you've been to before that aren't quests

its incredibly straightforward.

Straightforward isn't what I'd call the travel system and map in this game. Focusing on the path to a thing instead of the destination is a BAD decision and the inability to show more than one quest marker on the map at a time is the goddamn worst.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Another dumb thing about the Type-F, I don't think flying around counts towards Regalia AP.

What a worthless thing.

Straightforward isn't what I'd call the travel system and map in this game. Focusing on the path to a thing instead of the destination is a BAD decision and the inability to show more than one quest marker on the map at a time is the goddamn worst.

Quest markers everywhere would be horrible considering you can have like 30 quests + at the same time and they all use the same color icon.

The map has 3 choices, choose a destination for your car to drive
Choose a parking spot
choose a quest location

Quest location takes you closest to where you are going with no quick travel unless its a city, parking spot or rest spot, and can be whatever quest you choose represented on the map with a literal description, who gave it and what you do.

parking spots, if you've visited them, can have quick travel, other wise promto will drive to them

destination, will drive to any map destination you pick.

Like there are tons of things in this game that don't work, but the map is pretty straight forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fast travel really suffers from the car being your fast travel point BUT you have the ability to fast travel to your car.

Like I've brought it up before but that is just such a frigging dumb decision. I get they wanted to emphasize the car but especially with how bad their loading times was just giving you fast travel without needing that extra step would make the game so much more playable. It isn't even like they'd need to adjust the interface, it already has it as an option just greyed out.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Are any of the arena rewards really essential other than maybe the reel if I wanna do a lot of fishing? I've never ran out of fuel so the magitek reactor doesn't actually seem worth the grind.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Yodzilla posted:

What a worthless thing.

I wish I could like the Type-F but I have not once managed to land the loving thing without smashing it up completely and needing to have it towed. Here I was thinking when you get to a reasonable altitude and hit the 'land' command you would snap to the road you are above and actually land on it instead of sporadically veering into scenery.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Fast travel really suffers from the car being your fast travel point BUT you have the ability to fast travel to your car.

Like I've brought it up before but that is just such a frigging dumb decision. I get they wanted to emphasize the car but especially with how bad their loading times was just giving you fast travel without needing that extra step would make the game so much more playable. It isn't even like they'd need to adjust the interface, it already has it as an option just greyed out.

they should make it so that it doesn't need to load as much, but it seems like how the coded the game

like if try to fast travel to your car when its not super far from you, it actually has no loading time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

they should make it so that it doesn't need to load as much, but it seems like how the coded the game

like if try to fast travel to your car when its not super far from you, it actually has no loading time.

All fast travel does is load you to a new area. There's no reason it has to be tied to the car. It has loading time because of that but that is why it doesn't make sense for it to be tied to the thing you can already fast travel to.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

All fast travel does is load you to a new area. There's no reason it has to be tied to the car. It has loading time because of that but that is why it doesn't make sense for it to be tied to the thing you can already fast travel to.

It seems like they just wanted the car to be really focal. if you could fast travel everywhere without the car I'd be like "why the hell did they even put a car in"

I guess they could transport you somewhere with your car following, but I'd still not use the car for anything at that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

It seems like they just wanted the car to be really focal. if you could fast travel everywhere without the car I'd be like "why the hell did they even put a car in"

Huh? Why would it? Fast travel only lets you travel to places you've already been before. You know, the thing you can already do in the car? The car lets you travel to new places. That is already how the game works.

Edit: Also you can fast travel back to your last resting point without the car too. So it isn't like you can't fast travel to town without the car, you can only do it to a specific point. :psyduck: The more I think about it the more bewildering it is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 10, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Being able to call Umbra just to shake paws immediately redeemed this part of the game

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
*edit - I like flying the Type-F. Think I've smashed it only once. Biggest keys are to find a fairly straight stretch of road, slow down a lot, and get somewhat close to the ground before hitting the land button. All obvious points but it's def more involved than in any other FF game I've played.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So what's the best way to drag up Rare Coins? I was kind of dumb in the early game and sold off a bunch before I knew of the benefits.

Find a blue sparkle in the Cleigne region, save, then loot and reload until you get a Rare Coin. Move on to the next sparkle.

It's not too bad if you find a good stretch of wilderness without enemies. The green space next to the highway west of Cape Caem is a good example.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 10, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I gave up on Costlemark's Menace version and went after the legendary weapons instead.

Considering Naglfar oneshots with just about everything, I said gently caress it and abused warpstriking with 100% crit food + Enhancement + Star Of The Rogue. God drat the Zwill Crossblades are ridiculous :yayclod:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

air- posted:

I gave up on Costlemark's Menace version

Is there anything unique about it? Steyliff was loving ridiculous

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
You can't use restoratives. :gonk:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

Is there anything unique about it? Steyliff was loving ridiculous

No items allowed. I didn't make enough healcasts and I need more limit break magic.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Ha hahaha hahahahaha holy gently caress

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

SectumSempra posted:

I guess they could transport you somewhere with your car following, but I'd still not use the car for anything at that point.

An issue I have is that the car exists only as a flavor component of the story and not a strong gameplay component. It's a road trip, so you need a car. But what does the car offer? Fast travel, and automated travel on a track. But the fast travel is crippled by the fact that you need to be touching the car to do it, and the automated travel is boring and time consuming. It's poorly implemented, especially when compared to many other open world games with lower production levels.

A big (specific) problem I've had, and it's happened to me twice so far, is I'll be driving down one path, and imperials will drop onto the overpass above me, but despite them not being anywhere near me I have to get out of the car, go back up to the overpass, clear them out, just to continue in the direction I was going. It's a 5 minute segue at minimum which nets me very little reward beyond some minor experience points, ultimately turning into another frustrating segment that I need to pass in order to progress.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do the super weapons just laying around on the ground in the post game get marked as procurement points or do you just look them up?

Not talking about the legendary quest weapons here. Just collecting stuff.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Do the super weapons just laying around on the ground in the post game get marked as procurement points or do you just look them up?

Not talking about the legendary quest weapons here. Just collecting stuff.

No marking until after they've been picked up.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Edit: I guess I am wrong then :smith:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I guess you do technically have the capability of doing everything on chocobos if you don't like the car once you get to that point in the story. Only the mission involving ardyn strictly involves it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy balls chapter 13 sucks.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Huh. Is there really no real reward for killing (side-dungeon spoilers)Jormungandr or w/e? I kind of loved that side-dungeon in an odd way just for being so hellish and maze-like and awful, but it was an anticlimax to kill that guy and then just get a pittance of EXP. I guess there were a lot of good accessories laying around.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's almost comical how it just keeps getting worse. Just as you think the worst of it is over, some other bullshit arises.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there an unofficial new game+ scaling that occurs after you beat the game? I took my first postgame hunt, some level 37 wasps and I'm level 60. The battle lasted so long that I got a shiva summon which was kind of ludicrous given that I've only gotten a handful of summons the entirety of the playthrough.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

isk posted:

*edit - I like flying the Type-F. Think I've smashed it only once. Biggest keys are to find a fairly straight stretch of road, slow down a lot, and get somewhat close to the ground before hitting the land button. All obvious points but it's def more involved than in any other FF game I've played.

it's fun but so impractical unfortunately. I'd much prefer if I could have Ignis autopilot it while I just looked around at the scenery. hell, they could even make it a skill for ignis and I'd put AP into that over half of the garbage in the late game ascension trees.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's almost comical how it just keeps getting worse. Just as you think the worst of it is over, some other bullshit arises.

Yeah but it's so satisfying when it's over. I went back in time immediately after chapter 14 and have enjoyed the past five hours getting through a lot of side content I missed because I stupidly went through most of the story to get past the horribleness of the dreaded Chapter 13 problems I'd read about.

Totally worth it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played a console game since the release of MGS4. I have a PS4 i bought around it's release tho that i got for TPP, but then it was released on PC so i never used it. Thinking about unpacking it from storage and playing this game, but i have two questions first:

I hear that loading times are a issue with consoles now, what are they like in this game?
If you are a grognard player that wants to 100% most things, realistically how much are you bothered by load times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So the last time I posted I didn't realize how max hp worked and I understand it can be knocked off while in danger but WTF are there attacks that just straight up sap your max HP? I wish the game was more direct about this because you'll come out of a battle, never once entering danger, but your max health is cut in half for some reason. I guess they really needed a reason for you to use mega phoenix's and it's not like a careful player will ever let more than 1 party member die off.

• Locked thread