Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's being an rear end but he's also completely correct.

Although it's worth noting that lower sensitivity doesn't so much impact your peak accuracy as it does your consistency. If you're well-rested, caffeinated, in great health, not distracted by other things, 16 years old, and you just spent half an hour warming up in practice mode then yeah a 10cm / 360 will work just fine.

But if you want to maintain that same accuracy when any or all of the things on that list aren't true then lower your sensitivity.

It's also worth noting that it is just a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do people really spend half an hour warming up in training mode

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
i lost 250 points in 2 days due to loss streaks and laggy servers/dc's. it sucks but if you're good enough to be at a higher level you will get there

also you have to consider your variance. if your average play is like 2500, but you're wildly inconsistent, you might end up from anywhere from 1750 to 2750 just by being streaky

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ragequit posted:

I'm not interested in telling you how seriously to take it, just in how to improve if you want to.

Help Im Alive posted:

Not every session but if none of my friends are on I'd rather tool around in training mode than solo queue. It's more fun and possibly more productive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Help Im Alive posted:

It's so weird to me. I've never moved away from QP and my dualshock is still on the default sensitivity. I've never even changed a single control setting even with all the options. Overwatch is a casual dream. It's awesome how it caters to every type of player though. If you at least love the characters and base gameplay there's probably some mode that will hook you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I spend five minutes in the training range and then play a couple QP games. At that point I can tell whether I'm in a mood/state for comp or if I'd rather just dick around in QP.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ragequit posted:

Has KRUSHER99 taught you nothing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Solution: Train to shoot Pharah down, one of the easiest things to do as a hitscan DPS
that's literally why Rick said he wants a Pharah bot

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This game needs the training maps TF2 had where you could set various ai bots to various behaviors (zig zag runs, random hops, etc) and practice with whatever character/weapon you want.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blizzard just needs to make a non-Halloween themed Junkenstein's Revenge map that you can play solo or with 2 other people and put that in the arcade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

This game needs the training maps TF2 had where you could set various ai bots to various behaviors (zig zag runs, random hops, etc) and practice with whatever character/weapon you want.

I would love it if the training room had even half the options that tr_walkway had

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I just had a game in the PTR where I was solo-queuing Symmetra and my team won via steamroll, and we all decided to stay as a team using the, well, "stay as a team" function. For some reason it literally kept all the teams the same except it swapped me over to the enemy team because they had one leaver, and it placed my friend who was waiting to join in my slot instead. So it was exactly the same players as before except I got traded, on the exact same map because PTR only plays Oasis. And suddenly my new team which got steamrolled last game suddenly is steamrolling the other team.

Symmetra is literally so strong in PTR, she can carry. I love it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Theta Zero posted:

"stay as a team" function.

Is this function going to be in competitive or just in QP?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I imagine that the 'stay as a team' function is probably suicidal in comp but it will probably be there anyways.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Not everyone is a 3.5k savant who does 360 no-scopes with 1mm of movement on the mouse after waking up with a hangover and doing lines of coke fifty feet from the screen.

This is also why having a big mousepad, large mouse movements, and warming up is good: because we're regular people.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
This is a unfair representation.

I only drink 8 cups of coffee a day, thank you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Blizzard ever just going to loving add in a way to save a POTG in game EVER? I forget to record POTG or highlights CONSTANTLY and don't realize it until after I've already closed out the game and once the game is closed POOF it's just gone. It's so frustrating. I seriously don't understand why that wasn't a A THING since the creation of Play of the Game back when it was simply an idea on a dry erase board

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Nihilarian posted:

that's literally why Rick said he wants a Pharah bot
targets that move in slow, loping, easily predictable patterns already exist on the training range though

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I'm pretty convinced that there are a ton of cheaters in this game. Almost every time I play now there's a guy who is mentally retarded but hits every headshot every time. There's pretty frequently a guy who sucks hard for most of the match and then suddenly "turns on" and starts killing everyone the whole time.

This has never happened to me or any of my friends and its fishy as hell.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've actually experienced sudden boosts in effectiveness after sucking a few times. It could be partly luck/warming up, but I think subtle shifts in team comp or player replacements can also be a big deal. Like if someone picks an effective counter to the Genji that's been shutting me out all game I achieve way more. Or even if someone stops dicking around as Sombra and decides to pick a reliable DPS I suddenly look way better because we can focus fire people down.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean there are a ton of cheaters it's true, otherwise each banwave wouldn't be nearly as big a deal. What I don't understand is why it takes weeks to months between banwaves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's probably to help obscure their methods and make it harder to develop countermeasures.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Because if they ban people as soon as they're caught the cheaters will learn what triggers it and make the next one better.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's probably to help obscure their methods and make it harder to develop countermeasures.

Probably, but it's kind of annoying to have to see an obvious cheater, then run into them later and it's like yep, still cheating, still playing, just waiting for the next banwave to roll around. I know they'll never get rid of all of them of course but sometimes the report function seems largely pointless.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I would rather they take their time and eventually ban them than ban them immediately and make the next cheaters more difficult to catch

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

I would rather they take their time and eventually ban them than ban them immediately and make the next cheaters more difficult to catch

Ban waves just need to be more frequent, say monthly or every quarter at most. Maybe at the beginning of every competitive season.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Boogle posted:

Ban waves just need to be more frequent, say monthly or every quarter at most. Maybe at the beginning of every competitive season.

Didn't they do the last ban wave after the free weekend? That was such a poo poo time on PC.

Twink Accounts and Hackers accounted for like 80% of Quickplay.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Does Battle.net have the same issue as Steam where you get random-rear end friend requests from people who are otherwise total strangers and are just bugging you for trade bullshit, or is there no community market/trade which makes this a problem?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jo posted:

Does Battle.net have the same issue as Steam where you get random-rear end friend requests from people who are otherwise total strangers and are just bugging you for trade bullshit, or is there no community market/trade which makes this a problem?

There's no trade of any poo poo at all, and it's loving amazing.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
man, its pretty cool catching up with this game. i was getting smashed when I first tried competitive reaaaaally hard, lost something like 80% of my games last weekend. gave it a go again and smashed through an entire ranking.

i was throwing all my matches and i had no idea. weird how quickly your perception can change as you start to pick up more of the basics.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

celewign posted:

I'm pretty convinced that there are a ton of cheaters in this game. Almost every time I play now there's a guy who is mentally retarded but hits every headshot every time. There's pretty frequently a guy who sucks hard for most of the match and then suddenly "turns on" and starts killing everyone the whole time.

The cheaters are really really obvious so not likely. Like you'll immediately recognize it on the kill cam and potg. There are definitely cheaters in the game, but they're relatively rare unless you're pretty high SR.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Got accused for using an aimbot on my S76 by some silvers aiming without moving. Just told them they're being owned by a 40 year old playing his first FPS since like 20 years.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

celewign posted:

That's me, I'm the retard that dives 3 and takes 1-2 with me. Objective, what's that?

Thor-Stryker posted:

Not everyone is a 3.5k savant who does 360 no-scopes with 1mm of movement on the mouse after waking up with a hangover and doing lines of coke fifty feet from the screen.

This is also why having a big mousepad, large mouse movements, and warming up is good: because we're regular people.

As if any coke a gamer could lay their hands on would be good.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 11, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

celewign posted:

There's pretty frequently a guy who sucks hard for most of the match and then suddenly "turns on" and starts killing everyone the whole time.

This is actually me when I play McCree, and sometimes I worry what people think when my brain finally fires up mid-match and starts providing proper hand-eye coordination.

edit: i guess it's moot though because that happens like 1 in 20 games :v:

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 11, 2016

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
whats up with the Sombra hate? I stopped playing for a good few weeks, came back and started playing her in comp and the amount of hate mail I get (I play on ps4) is insane. I get she's not the most effective, but its not like I'm throwing games by picking her and I'm still getting kills – even though they are way more of a challenge to get

I don't remember this much hate for a hero before and I'm used to playing really bad meta picks like Symmetra and D.va before all her buffs. Never really had people personally messaging me slurs during that time.

Did it just become super widespread knowledge that Sombra is a piece of poo poo hero and anybody that plays them is trolling or something while I was away?

TEENAGE WITCH fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 8, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
From a non-bad player perspective, the issue is that Sombra doesn't do enough damage she can basically only win 1v1 fights with a heavy element of surprise on her side, or she: dies/runs away/ generally doesn't help much at all during teamfights besides EMPs at the right time, but there are other ults that do the exact some thing but better (Earthshatter, Ana's grenade)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sombra is in a similar position to early Ana where once she was introduced every game had at least one and, since no one had got to do much practice or establish a meta for her, they were mostly terrible. Ana later got a buff that established her as a powerful force in the high-level meta, but Sombra hasn't had that yet, and her toolset isn't strong enough for most players to get over the "all sombra players suck" experience.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

This is actually me when I play McCree, and sometimes I worry what people think when my brain finally fires up mid-match and starts providing proper hand-eye coordination.

edit: i guess it's moot though because that happens like 1 in 20 games :v:

Yeah that's pretty much me on Soldier, where I'll spend half the game doing mostly inconsequential chip damage then suddenly either everything lines up right or I'm just in the zone and suddenly acquire good hand-eye co-ordination because I'll suddenly mulch through pretty much the entire enemy team. Sometimes people just have really good runs.

For me personally I have real difficulty telling the really good Widows from the cheaters, unless it's something really obvious like when the kill-cam shows the Widow is shooting strings of infallible headshots through vision-obscuring scenery.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My win rates gone down to like a third of my games and I feel like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Tomorrows Ace posted:

whats up with the Sombra hate? I stopped playing for a good few weeks, came back and started playing her in comp and the amount of hate mail I get (I play on ps4) is insane. I get she's not the most effective, but its not like I'm throwing games by picking her and I'm still getting kills – even though they are way more of a challenge to get

The hate messages got so bad I kind of went gently caress it and started playing her exclusively to tank my score and wound up in Master rank instead so I'm fairly certain I'm overcoming her limitations and playing her as well as she can be played at the minute.

I don't remember this much hate for a hero before and I'm used to playing really bad meta picks like Symmetra and D.va before all her buffs. Never really had people personally messaging me slurs during that time.

Did it just become super widespread knowledge that Sombra is a piece of poo poo hero and anybody that plays them is trolling or something while I was away?

I think people just assume that she sucks and anyone who play her sucks and is just trolling or something, like with Ana as Tenebrais said. Ster pretty much only plays Sombra on his alt account and the amount of salt and anger he gets every game is just staggering. But quite fun to watch though.