Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The only thing that matters is if you get the dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I might grab it but I'll probably wait to start until after finals this coming week.

PSN: wordyrappinghood

Word. Alright I grabbed it since I was probably going to anyways. I'll give everyone a trip report and if it's good maybe we can get some more people in on it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Jose posted:

The only thing that matters is if you get the dlc

Right. Bloodborne GOTY appears to be the PAL version of Bloodborne Complete, but is also 10 dollars cheaper, so there's no reason to get Complete unless I have some weird aversion to a game having multiple language options?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

I only ended up playing around 3 hours of WD2, but more than any open world game in recent memory I wanted the full moveset from the beginning. The notion of unlocking trees over hours to do cool stuff was intstantly offputting.

Maybe more of a symptom of fatigue w/ the game model than Watch Dogs' fault, but I've had no desire to pick it up since.

I kinda felt the opposite. Short of like the drone it felt pretty nice to have a map whe r e nothing was gated.

The tier 0 and 1 stuff is pretty cheap to unlock and is pretty much the bread and butter of the tier.

Most of the later unlocks are strictly QOL poo poo that just make stuff easier or better.

Only upgrades I could wish were cheaper were the drones can drop bombs or the RC helicopter unlock, but those also kinda break the game so it took the sting off of it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

exploded mummy posted:

I kinda felt the opposite. Short of like the drone it felt pretty nice to have a map whe r e nothing was gated.

The tier 0 and 1 stuff is pretty cheap to unlock and is pretty much the bread and butter of the tier.

Most of the later unlocks are strictly QOL poo poo that just make stuff easier or better.

Only upgrades I could wish were cheaper were the drones can drop bombs or the RC helicopter unlock, but those also kinda break the game so it took the sting off of it.

only upgrades you need to make every single mission easy and hilarious is calling the gangs and calling in the cops.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

89 posted:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Game-Share_with_Family_and_Friends

Sounds exactly like the Xbox One. Only thing you can't do with it is stream to your Vita or whatever cause your friend's system is the one set to "Primary"

this is a different thing to share play but yeah youve been able to do this since the ps3, ms just picked it up for the xbox one as well

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Stux posted:

this is a different thing to share play but yeah youve been able to do this since the ps3, ms just picked it up for the xbox one as well

Nice. Yeah, I don't plan on my PS4 ever being offline. PS4 Pro + Gigabit internet ftw 😎

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

used to be able to have your psn across 5 systems before sony cracked down on sharing. a group of friends and I abused the hell out of that while it lasted

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The glory days of the PS3 thread when five people would buy one game :')

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Manatee Cannon posted:

used to be able to have your psn across 5 systems before sony cracked down on sharing. a group of friends and I abused the hell out of that while it lasted

It's how I used to buy all my games, I actually lost access to Bloodborne, GTAV and Infamous when Sony changed their TOS.... :cries:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

Word. Alright I grabbed it since I was probably going to anyways. I'll give everyone a trip report and if it's good maybe we can get some more people in on it.

I'd be down to play. I heard a lot of good things about it but it very much depends on having people to play with like L4D.

Re: Divinity, I really liked it because of the silly writing (get the perk that lets you talk to animals) and I'm a sucker for turn-based tactical combat like old school Fallout and Shadowrun Returns but after about 40 hours, I had my fill and didn't finish it. For $15, I think that's actually worth it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I finally got a PS4 recently and just have to say the best thing about it is remote play which is just about the coolest thing ever.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Posted a few days ago about how I was surprised at being more into BF1 than TF2; played a little TF2 just now for the double XP weekend and it was a blast progressing a little faster and unlocking some more stuff to try a few more playstyles (also just spending more time on the loadout screen and noticing stuff I had already unlocked), might be swaying me back.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Questions about upgrading the hard drive; sorry if these have been answered in the thread already

1. Will upgrading to an SSD or SSHD improve load times over the default ps4 hard drive (non slim version, not the pro either, launch day ps4)

2. Will this fit? 2tb seagate gaming SSHD hybrid hard drive. All webpages I visit say laptop or "slim" hard drives will typically fit into the ps4 but I'm a bit computer illiterate and I don't know if all 3.5 inch hard drives are the same or if there are specific features I need to look for to fit into a ps4

Barring that, can anyone please recommend a specific hard drive that would be a good choice for upgrading the ps4 hard drive? There are so many different types of "laptop hard drives" and I don't know if they're all created equal. I'd just like a brand and model to enter into ebay and then buy it and expect it to work. Should I be getting a SSD? Or would an SSHD work just as well? Or does the PS4 not take advantage of the features of a SSD?

Sorry for the basic questions, I can't seem to find a straight answer when looking online

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not 100% about this but I'd stay away from an SSHD, for what I remember they're used in some of the newer iMacs and what happens is the OS is installed on the SSD section while everything else gets out on the HDD. I have no idea if the PS4 can actually use them. I could be talkin out my rear end here but that's my understanding of them.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not 100% about this but I'd stay away from an SSHD, for what I remember they're used in some of the newer iMacs and what happens is the OS is installed on the SSD section while everything else gets out on the HDD. I have no idea if the PS4 can actually use them. I could be talkin out my rear end here but that's my understanding of them.

This is incorrect. It essentially acts like a big cache and managed internally by the hard drive. It copies the most frequently accessed files to the SSD portion and moves stuff out to the spinner back and forth as needed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have one; I've posted a few times in this thread about my possible problems with it but no one responded. At least in the OS, and possibly in games, it seems to hiccup sometimes. Overall load times seem improved compared to a stock HDD but I can't do a side by side comparison.

edit: I still can't google anyone else talking about this hiccup with SSHDs. Maybe I am searching the wrong way? Maybe mine is defective?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sshd will improve load times and these days they're not much more expensive than a standard drive of the same size.

It's not insane improvement but it does save something like twenty seconds in a warm boot of fallout 4. On average I've seen most tests report about a 10% increase, and in something like Battlefield one, you load the map faster than most other people which means you get your pick of vehicles!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I still can't google anyone else talking about this hiccup with SSHDs. Maybe I am searching the wrong way? Maybe mine is defective?

I can imagine Rest mode maybe interfering with the way SSHD in a way if you're always playing the same game all the time. Half of the OS being on the slow side and half on the fast might cause hiccups or weirdness if it's optimized for a consistent access time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

I can imagine Rest mode maybe interfering with the way SSHD in a way if you're always playing the same game all the time. Half of the OS being on the slow side and half on the fast might cause hiccups or weirdness if it's optimized for a consistent access time.
Many times the hiccup happens soon after I have started using the PS4 again after a while, either putting it into sleep mode or not, so maybe?

Yakuza 6 is getting lots and lots of hiccups all the time though, but it might be like that with a standard HDD too. I can't immediately find anyone talking about that on the Japanese internet. They don't go mental about technical performance details of games like they do in the West anyway though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 11, 2016

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Many times the hiccup happens soon after I have started using the PS4 again after a while, either putting it into sleep mode or not, so maybe?

Oh that? That always happened to me on my launch 500GB. It seemed to start after 4.0 dash was launched. I'm not sure if I'm still getting it because I recently replaced my drive with a 2TB and haven't used the PS4 much lately.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

Oh that? That always happened to me on my launch 500GB. It seemed to start after 4.0 dash was launched. I'm not sure if I'm still getting it because I recently replaced my drive with a 2TB and haven't used the PS4 much lately.
Actually, I got the SSHD almost exactly the same time the 4.0 update happened, so I had sometimes wondered if the SSHD was just a coincidence, but no one else has talked about that hiccup in regards to the software update so I figured that couldn't be it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wandle Cax posted:

I finally got a PS4 recently and just have to say the best thing about it is remote play which is just about the coolest thing ever.

Seriously. That all I need is to pack along a controller and cable with my laptop is awesome. Though I'm a little disappointed I can't switch profiles because my system is set up dumb and all my real saves and friends are not on the main purchasing account.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually, I got the SSHD almost exactly the same time the 4.0 update happened, so I had sometimes wondered if the SSHD was just a coincidence, but no one else has talked about that hiccup in regards to the software update so I figured that couldn't be it.

Rest mode is like hibernate on computers and there is heavy disk and memory access while it loads everything off disk back into memory. However, they want the system to be interactive as soon as possible, so the stutters and stuff are difficult to get rid of unless they just want to have a static screen that says "Resuming from hibernation" like Windows computers used to. I just consider it a fact of life for having a really great feature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

I only ended up playing around 3 hours of WD2, but more than any open world game in recent memory I wanted the full moveset from the beginning. The notion of unlocking trees over hours to do cool stuff was intstantly offputting.

Maybe more of a symptom of fatigue w/ the game model than Watch Dogs' fault, but I've had no desire to pick it up since.

Open-world videogames (hell, games in general) are always going to do this, and frankly generally need to, because it gives the player a chance to learn how poo poo works. Rather than just dump a shitload of concepts on them at once, they're given the basics and allowed to add to that as they want or as the game assumes they're ready for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

Rest mode is like hibernate on computers and there is heavy disk and memory access while it loads everything off disk back into memory. However, they want the system to be interactive as soon as possible, so the stutters and stuff are difficult to get rid of unless they just want to have a static screen that says "Resuming from hibernation" like Windows computers used to. I just consider it a fact of life for having a really great feature.
Well, it didn't hiccup before the 4.0 update happened and I got the SSHD, so I figured one or the other of them was responsible.

I mean, I'm talking about a 1-2 second hang here. It's plenty noticeable and annoying.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Open-world videogames (hell, games in general) are always going to do this, and frankly generally need to, because it gives the player a chance to learn how poo poo works. Rather than just dump a shitload of concepts on them at once, they're given the basics and allowed to add to that as they want or as the game assumes they're ready for it.

This was the reason it took me a couple hours to really get into Witcher 3, as I'd never played the prior games in the series. Lots of information overload between the story and combat mechanics.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah like a page ago I was saying I liked divinity but I never got into witcher.

I know it's a well made game and all but I just had no loving clue what was going on and the 3 in the title held me back because I always felt like I was missing stuff.

It's like watching the best Star Wars movie Return of the Jedi without having seen the other two

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

89 posted:

Nice. Yeah, I don't plan on my PS4 ever being offline. PS4 Pro + Gigabit internet ftw 😎

also i think this is the same on xbox but u can share your ps+ with this as well, the console with it set as primary will have ps+ for all the accounts on the console

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I'd be down to play. I heard a lot of good things about it but it very much depends on having people to play with like L4D.

if you get it i'll get it. let me know.

reviews say its great as long as you have friends in a party because voicechat is essential and if you play with pubbies lots of them have chat turned off or are the people you don't want to hear from anyway.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 11, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is the SAO game that's on sale right now for $12 any good?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not really idk it has its interesting parts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the stuff I came upon wandering around seemed like it required unlocks I didn't yet have, which was a total turn off.

That sort of gating doesn't work well in sprawling, densely packed open worlds, imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vermintide seems loving awesome. It's straight up medieval L4D and the presentation is great. It's hard as hell through.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

Vermintide seems loving awesome. It's straight up medieval L4D and the presentation is great. It's hard as hell through.

will you be my goblin killing friend and what class should i play

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

if you get it i'll get it. let me know.

reviews say its great as long as you have friends in a party because voicechat is essential and if you play with pubbies lots of them have chat turned off or are the people you don't want to hear from anyway.

I got it.

will you be my goblin killing friend and what class should i play

Adding you on PSN.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I haven't played yet just I'm happy to fill a role

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I got it.

Adding you on PSN.

ok me too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ps4 says i can play in 62 minutes

I haven't played yet just I'm happy to fill a role

i sent you a friend request, senior thong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please dont look at my trophy level and be like "DUDE LIKES GAMES so much" and understand it was deep deep depression and lots of lonely boring times in the army ok

• Locked thread