Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo tends to squash fan projects that get too popular or even books and poo poo that are love-letters to their series.

It boggles my mind that people get mad at Nintendo about this. Of course they don't want other people making games featuring Nintendo trademarks. If I made a game and called it Halo The Master Chief Collection, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would tell me to knock it off.

Cojawfee posted:

They make consoles that are underpowered in order to produce them at a profit.

...how dare they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cojawfee posted:

They make consoles that are underpowered in order to produce them at a profit. You have to buy games you previously purchased digitally to play them on a new system. They lock off parts of games that you can only access by purchasing an amiibo and scanning it.

What the hell was gated behind amiibo other than lovely Mii outfits?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guy Goodbody posted:

It boggles my mind that people get mad at Nintendo about this. Of course they don't want other people making games featuring Nintendo trademarks. If I made a game and called it Halo The Master Chief Collection, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would tell me to knock it off.

Yeah, why would they want a fanbase who are so dedicated that they want to make fan art and stories?

Rudoku posted:

What the hell was gated behind amiibo other than lovely Mii outfits?

I don't know but their page "What is amiibo" says "Get cool in-game extras with amiibo accessories. Just tap to score new characters, game modes, or other perks"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 10, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know but their page "What is amiibo" says "Get cool in-game extras with amiibo accessories. Just tap to score new characters, game modes, or other perks"

Cool so you're speaking out of your rear end, big surprise

Hint: it's usually just bonus items, random costumes and in rare cases, amiibo only game modes that are generally shallow and not worth anything.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Amiibo are actually really dope, my 8bit Link and Yarn Yoshi friends look cool.

E: I think the most significant content that is locked behind an amiibo is the Shovel Knight two player mode and that wasn't even sold by Nintendo.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm trying to think of non-cosmetic or "here's some bonus health once a day" uses, and all I've got is:
Splatoon challenge missions
That one Mini-Mario game where the Amiibos unlock characters, but that requires Amiibos to play anyway
The Spinner in Hyrule Warriors
Wolf Link dungeon & Hard Mode in Twilight Princess HD
The Wolf Link companion in Breath of the Wild
The big mushroom in Mario Maker
Super mode on the 3DS Chibi Robo
The Fire Emblem Smash characters in Fates and Project Steam
Shovel Knight 2 player and that other mode

Pretty sure that's it. And with Amiibos often going really cheap a couple of months after release, it's basically physical DLC. It seems like the toys to life thing is kind of fading anyway, so they may not be making them for too much longer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I very much want an 8-bit Link. Is it still hard to find?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Soul Glo posted:

I very much want an 8-bit Link. Is it still hard to find?

Still available for retail price on amazon. But the OoT Link and Wind Waker two pack is getting up there for some reason, 8bit is the superior release of this group.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...bit+link+amiibo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Still available for retail price on amazon. But the OoT Link and Wind Waker two pack is getting up there for some reason, 8bit is the superior release of this group.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...bit+link+amiibo

The fulfillment by Amazon ones are $22, which seems... high? The 8-bit Mario one is like $12 in stores around here.

e: Yeah, Best Buy says $12.99. May try to swing by there tomorrow.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Whoa, it was literally 12.99 with prime shipping when I lookeed it up and linked in with that post, it must have sold out in those 5 minutes. Yeah, don't pay more than retail and even that is too much for most of them when you can find them for $5 to $10 a few months after release.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Louisgod posted:

Cool so you're speaking out of your rear end, big surprise

Hint: it's usually just bonus items, random costumes and in rare cases, amiibo only game modes that are generally shallow and not worth anything.

You're right, you refuted one part of my post.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

You're right, you refuted one part of my post.

There's a difference between "not wanting a dedicated fanbase" and "protecting what you own". Nobody has ever made a fan thing public out of the kindness of their heart--it wins ad revenue or brand recognition for other projects--and even if such a pure, miracle project existed it would still get shut down right away for using and potentially misusing an IP. Imagine if a kid had never played, say, a pokemon game before and the first thing they have suggested to them is one of the fan games. Yikes.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wonder why they generated artificial scarcity for amiibo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Did Activision or Disney ever do that with their "toys to life" things?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only scarce Amiibo I can think of got restocks later except Rosalina.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's only artificial scarcity so much as they don't want to have gently caress tons of useless toys sitting in a warehouse.(See: Disney Infinity)

Nintendo does not like to overproduce things so they always underestimate demand on their items. Like the NES classic.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Great Joe posted:

Nintendo's past reputation of scarcity now means every time they underestimate demand they've generated false scarcity. Looking at both the NES Mini Classic and Amiibo, I don't blame them for not making enough of stuff like this in the first production run: toys to life is crapping out for other companies (even though Amiibo aren't really that) and there's been loads of retro-consoles-on-a-chip before that haven't lit the world on fire, so :shrug:

They really made a ton of money piloting the Wii through generated scarcity for like two years, but I don't think they can afford to do that going forward after the Wii U poo poo the bed. Hopefully they make enough Switches so that they're easily found and bought. Anyone that wants one doesn't need to have trouble finding one; they shouldn't get cute with distribution of the thing that comes after a pretty hard failure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Great Joe posted:

Both

Disney Infinity got screwed over by creating too many drat toys. They had millions and millions of dollars of toys just sitting in a warehouse not being sold. Even though the game itself was actually doing pretty well.

Skylanders is waning and not doing so hot sales wise either.

You don't want to be left holding the bag on warehouses full of inventory that you created and can't get rid of.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like Nintendo is going to ship less switch's than they did Wii U's.

It's probably going to be impossible to get a switch unless you preorder it.

They are estimating internally that they are going to sell less switches in the first year than they did Wii U's.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With amiibo I remember people saying the shortages were only a thing in NA, less so in other regions.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

I wonder why they generated artificial scarcity for amiibo

Nintendo is really bad at judging demand and scaling appropriately to quickly restock shelves.

I'm guessing most of you don't remember how impossible it was to find a Wii and extra controllers for the first year it was released, followed by the Wii Fit balance boards.

I genuinely think Nintendo has a hard time setting up contracts for additional product runs.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've thought it over carefully, and I think I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So using gamecards/cartridges means that the switch will have absolutely minimal loading times right

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

elf help book posted:

I've thought it over carefully, and I think I'm going to buy a Nintendo Switch.

You have chosen..... wisely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not necessarily. Even if the data is on a motionless storage medium you still have bandwidth, ram limitations, and decompression processing, a variety of bottlenecks.

It's faster than optical media generally but it isn't like there's going to be no loading times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

nvmind

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Phone posted:

Fuckin' casuals

With their jobs

And ability to pay for things

the reason why those mobile piracy rates posted earlier were so high was because most piracy comes from poorer countries where games are a luxury and might cost a significant portion of their income but its ok to keep pretending those places dont exist if u want

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Nintendo is really bad at judging demand and scaling appropriately to quickly restock shelves.

I'm guessing most of you don't remember how impossible it was to find a Wii and extra controllers for the first year it was released, followed by the Wii Fit balance boards.

I genuinely think Nintendo has a hard time setting up contracts for additional product runs.

Nintendo has literally been making toys for a longer time than Disney. Ever heard of it being difficult to buy Pokemon games? Of course you haven't, because Nintendo didn't manufacture scarcity on those games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

Nintendo has literally been making toys for a longer time than Disney. Ever heard of it being difficult to buy Pokemon games? Of course you haven't, because Nintendo didn't manufacture scarcity on those games.

Prove that Nintendo purposefully produce less product to artificially inflate demand.

It's okay, I'll wait.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Nintendo's past reputation of scarcity now means every time they underestimate demand they've generated false scarcity. Looking at both the NES Mini Classic and Amiibo, I don't blame them for not making enough of stuff like this in the first production run

i generally agree but large walmarts type stores got 3 nes classics for launch and were restocked the next week with 1 extra so nintendo is probably loving around imo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should have been able to find nes classics at the corner gas station. The entire product screams impulses buy.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i generally agree but large walmarts type stores got 3 nes classics for launch and were restocked the next week with 1 extra so nintendo is probably loving around imo

Eh, it's not like the restock that came the following week was because they actually manufactured units that quickly, right?

Now, if they continue to be plum out of the things in the coming weeks/from now on forever, yeah, that'd be loving stupid. I'm already kinda looking at it sideways since Christmas is just two weeks away, but they still have time to show that they just had no idea it was gonna be that big a deal and stock the poo poo out of some shelves.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The Nintendo Classic /w 30 games for $60 is a steal considering every single Classic game on Wii U sells for $5

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

...they still have time to show that they just had no idea it was gonna be that big a deal and stock the poo poo out of some shelves.

I'd put down money on them just being stupid and underestimating demand but also potentially focusing production on the Switch more than anything.

I say that because once rare amiibo are now flooding store shelves in droves.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I guess the Binding of Isaac guy "confirmed" BoI coming to the Switch

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Prove that Nintendo purposefully produce less product to artificially inflate demand.
I don't gotta prove poo poo. It's the oldest trick in the book and a huge part of why Black Fridays get so violent.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

We'll know whether the NES Classic's scarcity is due to incompetence or malice if the same thing happens next year when they put out the SNES Classic.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Great Joe posted:

I don't gotta prove poo poo. It's the oldest trick in the book and a huge part of why Black Fridays get so violent.

Nintendo is literally killing people

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There weren't any of these available black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Still waiting to hear an argument about how forced scarcity is good for anything that isn't specifically a status item(shoes, cars).

• Locked thread