Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

One thing I don't get is why they kept calling attention to problems with the mortar in james' brickmobile when it was visually obvious that no mortar had been introduced into the system

Yeah really. When he was stacking the bricks, it was very obvious there was no mortar. Then they kept talking about mortar. I guess there's no way for real mortar to dissolve in a river, so it wouldn't have fallen apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Data Graham posted:

One thing I don't get is why they kept calling attention to problems with the mortar in james' brickmobile when it was visually obvious that no mortar had been introduced into the system

I liked the overhead shots of May's brick mobile dissolving in the stream. Probably just sand/dirt coming off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TotalLossBrain posted:

I liked the overhead shots of May's brick mobile dissolving in the stream. Probably just sand/dirt coming off.

Yeah, that was one good use of the drone. The other was keeping tabs on James as he bumbled around off-track near the end.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

James's tiny porthole in his hay car reminded me of those people who, when it snows and their cars ice over, scrape a tiny little square right in front of the steering wheel and call it good. Then hit a tree that snuck up on them.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

projecthalaxy posted:

James's tiny porthole in his hay car reminded me of those people who, when it snows and their cars ice over, scrape a tiny little square right in front of the steering wheel and call it good. Then hit a tree that snuck up on them.

One of my facebook friends actually got fined by the police once because she didn't clean her car well enough. Then again she also once crashed in to the parked car next to her car by turning too fast so..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hopefully the other car got cited for "coming from out of nowhere"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

projecthalaxy posted:

When I was a teenager early in my driving career I always did enjoy doing that. Luckily for everyone's safety I haven't lived in a snowy area in many years.

Forward visibility still wasn't as bad as a 90s Camaro.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Data Graham posted:

Hopefully the other car got cited for "coming from out of nowhere"

boooooo

:golfclap:

True story, I once almost sideswiped some rear end in a top hat driving a white car in the middle of winter. My insurance claim pulse shot up to like 300 because it was a brand new bmw and I was driving a 25 year old nissan.

hillo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 9, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wasn't even trying to make a pun :iamafag:

It just always cracks me up (in a "laugh so you don't cry" sort of way) when people say "it came from out of nowhere"; it's like, what, do you think it literally just materialized out of an alternate dimension in order to maliciously surprise you? No, you didn't see where it was because you didn't look there

(your experience is relatable anyway though)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I think I really enjoyed this episode! I laughed a lot! But I know if I dig too deep I'll see how much was scripted and didn't make sense and was silly and not like it anymore so I'm just not going to listen to that part of my brain.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rewatching, one of my favorite parts was when James arrives and Jeremy is quizzing him on his car.

"Well, it is a bit heavy."
"How heavy?"
"What units would you like?"
"Tons?"
"Five."
"Ah".

It was just so casual and friendly despite being about a giant adobe suv. Just kinda showed how used to stupid things they had been from their day job for the last couple decades.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Data Graham posted:

It just always cracks me up (in a "laugh so you don't cry" sort of way) when people say "it came from out of nowhere"; it's like, what, do you think it literally just materialized out of an alternate dimension in order to maliciously surprise you? No, you didn't see where it was because you didn't look there
Then you see idiots in unlit white cars in snow, grey cars in fog, and black (or any colour, really) cars at night, and you do develop some sympathy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had a grey crown vic. I definitely "came out of no where" for a few people on overcast days.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
They should have quite the stupid celberity thing. But as someone said before it should be like "oh he loving died" "next up---

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hillo posted:

They should have quite the stupid celberity thing. But as someone said before it should be like "oh he loving died" "next up---

Yeah, if it's going to be a regular thing they could at least put some effort into making the deaths weird or unexpected. They're so telegraphed and obvious thus far it's not really worth much.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, if it's going to be a regular thing they could at least put some effort into making the deaths weird or unexpected. They're so telegraphed and obvious thus far it's not really worth much.

In the most recent episode I actually got pissed off at slowbeef for telling diabeetus that the punchline is coming, please shut up.

I hope the season 2 will be better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do we know how many episodes there will be?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
12. and you all suck, watch another show. I recommend CW's "The Flash"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Powersliding a hedge!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I enjoy this show, for whatever reason, thank you very much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

I enjoy this show, for whatever reason, thank you very much.

How very dare you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I may have said this before, it would be a lot better if the three didn't look out the window and give running commentary. That's really what telegraphs it. They should casually talk about the celebrity's accomplishments while the audience gets to watch the calamity occur in the background.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I really liked Hammonds car. Hilarious how it genuinely blended into that hedgerow.

Clarksons car... boke.

Also for those curious the chassis they used for those were Land Rover Discoveries, gen 1.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Episodes 3 and especially 4 were good fun, The American and the celebrity deaths are dumb and bad but take up little screen time. Seem to be on the right track overall.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I know they're getting started in the new format, but something I really miss from the old show was a lot of the banter when they did the news.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I know they're getting started in the new format, but something I really miss from the old show was a lot of the banter when they did the news.

I also preferred the challenges that were of the "cue the music" type, rather than just extended slapstick.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apropos nothing but double posting and my deranged mind, I suddenly remembered these for no reason.

Who on earth would carve their own face into a stone lion?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is it just me or has there not been any good music in the grand tour? Its either boring or actually really bad. I mean i know that the BBC had an awesome almost unlimited music license but I feel like amazon has dropped the ball here and they need to license some more obscure movie soundtrack stuff. Theres like a gross amount of butt rock harmonica that seems to be making its way into otherwise decent footage..

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My roommate who controls the internet account for our place got a letter from Comcast about me watching The Grand Tour via :filez:

That's my Top Gear story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just get Amazon Prime, dude.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

Just get Amazon Prime, dude.

And stop using public trackers.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If you dont want to dish out for a whole year you can do prime by the month for like 11 bucks or something. or just the video for 8, but then you won't get the free shipping stuff.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

coolskillrex remix posted:

Is it just me or has there not been any good music in the grand tour? Its either boring or actually really bad. I mean i know that the BBC had an awesome almost unlimited music license but I feel like amazon has dropped the ball here and they need to license some more obscure movie soundtrack stuff. Theres like a gross amount of butt rock harmonica that seems to be making its way into otherwise decent footage..

It's not just you. The music took a massive step backwards when they lost all the cool stuff they could use on the BBC broadcast versions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not just the licensed stuff. Even when they had to pull something new out of their rear end, whoever they had writing incidental score stuff was super on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLp4FhDAfQk

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone watching old Top Gear legally, who wasn't from the UK, wasn't hearing great music to begin with.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Good golly their track makes me claustrophobic. The American needs to go but it's not like his writing is any worse than the rest of the show. I hope this is a long con and they give him a Ford GT or something else American at the end of the season.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

My roommate who controls the internet account for our place got a letter from Comcast about me watching The Grand Tour via :filez:

That's my Top Gear story.

so I guess you're one of the 9.7 mil to make it the most pirated show now

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/11/amazons-grand-tour-is-the-most-pirated-show-ever/

wasn't top gear the most pirated before game of thrones?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

winter.mute posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/11/amazons-grand-tour-is-the-most-pirated-show-ever/

I dislike how people just flatly will say "Amazon lost 」3.2 million on the first episode alone" because it ignores the part that if people couldn't pirate it somehow then they wouldn't all pay to watch it. Lots of people would simply not watch it at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

winter.mute posted:

Turns out if you don't sell something in a whole bunch of countries, people in those countries don't buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Why wouldn't you just get prime? Don't you like ordering stupid poo poo you don't need?