Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Verne calling basketball this year or is he officially retired after this Army-Navy game?

During his goodbye speech after the game, Verne said he will be doing March Madness and the Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

During his goodbye speech after the game, Verne said he will be doing March Madness and the Masters.
Verne in the tower on #16... a tradition unlike any other.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/807732657974956032

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If Verne really wants to sign off a hero, he should call Jim Nantz a mayo boy on the air during the masters

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

If Verne really wants to sign off a hero, he should call Jim Nantz a mayo boy on the air during the masters

"Who the hell is Happy Gilmore?"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Think I've found an ESPN segment bad enough to dethrone "Who's More Now":

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18254774

Don't do this to Randy Moss you assholes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Simmons wishes his garbage show that nobody watched would have been monthly instead of weekly

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It would probably have been better but Every Fourth Wednesday doesn't have the same ring to it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You need a month to build up enough perceived slights by the Enemies of Boston Athletics to fill an hour though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Simmons became Rick Reilly. Older guy who just became out of touch with younger audiences. Grantland probably delayed people realizing it because he wasn't writing much and ESPN was filling his podcast with great guests.

I'd say Pardon My Take has probably surpassed him as the top sports podcast these days.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Probably? There's about a dozen sports podcasts I'll listen to before his show anymore.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

soggybagel posted:

UFC desperately wants Paige Van Zant and Sage Northcutt to become huge stars...and hell probably marry and create super fighter aryan babies.

I think they've given up on both and moved on tbh.They've got Northcutt going against Mickey Gall, who beat CM Punk. My guess is they like Gall a lot and used it as notoriety fight to give Gall some hype. Now he gets Northcutt who was the UFC's perceived golden child. If he beats Northcutt, they'll give him a few more cans and then move him on to gatekeepers and fringe prospects.

Paige is going to fight Michelle Waterson (on the same show as Northcutt vs Gall) and..I have no idea who Michelle Waterson is. A quick wiki search shows her to have one UFC victory in one fight against Angela Magana who has a quite unremarkable 11-8 record while losing her last 4. I just don't know what they do with Paige. Putting her on TV is probably smart but she's not a good enough fighter to even crack the top 3 in that division. Do you put her in a ritual sacrifice against Rose again?

Back on top, Simmons' show being monthly would be just as terrible if not worse. They went for a late night TV format and failed spectacularly. No changes short of a complete and total gutting of the format could save it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

Simmons became Rick Reilly. Older guy who just became out of touch with younger audiences. Grantland probably delayed people realizing it because he wasn't writing much and ESPN was filling his podcast with great guests.

I'll disagree with this at least in a certain fashion. Simmons at least is attempting to work and putting together things like Grantland and the Ringer, flawed or not. Reilly at some point decided he'd done enough work and phoned the last 15 or so years in, recycling his own poo poo when he decided even phoning things in wasn't worth the time. Simmons is also nowhere near the raging rear end in a top hat that Reilly is (at least outside of deflategate opinions).

I guess in other words I may not want to read anything he writes and cringe at the thought of any of his takes involving Boston teams, but I can respect what Simmons is trying to do. I'm ok with him being around. I can't say the same about Reilly at all.

e: I know Reilly is retired, but he still exists and tweets and has opinions, and I don't like any of those things.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 12, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Unmerciful posted:

Probably? There's about a dozen sports podcasts I'll listen to before his show anymore.

Are you saying you don't want to know which NFL teams this year are Goodfellas characters???

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Giants are Henry Hill

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DirecTV Now blacked out local NFL games in Atlanta, SF, and Tampa Bay, among other markets

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Are you saying you don't want to know which NFL teams this year are Goodfellas characters???

Only if Bill Burr is doing it.

Bill Burr had some of the funniest bits. Like he was comparing how Michael Douglas was walking on stage on an awards show to Montiana leading a drive in the Super Bowl. Normally when a guy like Simmons is doing it? it's hokie and lame.

Burr? Hilarious. Also Bill Burr doesn't constantly whine about boston sports on his podcast all the time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Julie Stewart-Binks headed to ESPN to be sideline reporter for MLS.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

FuzzySkinner posted:

Only if Bill Burr is doing it.

Bill Burr had some of the funniest bits. Like he was comparing how Michael Douglas was walking on stage on an awards show to Montiana leading a drive in the Super Bowl. Normally when a guy like Simmons is doing it? it's hokie and lame.

Burr? Hilarious. Also Bill Burr doesn't constantly whine about boston sports on his podcast all the time.

drat, that sounds so funny. I guess Bill Simmons really isn't like Bill Burr.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cris Carter is the newest fired ESPN personality to show up at FS1

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joe Buck peed in a trashcan once while calling a Brett Favre touchdown

:psyduck:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/shalini/status/809452728850255872

nbc sports online as is has plenty of winter/summer sports hope they don't block them unless you get the channel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

nbc sports online as is has plenty of winter/summer sports hope they don't block them unless you get the channel

This is a really clever idea. There could be some awesome stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

What a pro. I really enjoy Oversharing Joe Buck, it's completely flipped my whole view of him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

What a pro. I really enjoy Oversharing Joe Buck, it's completely flipped my whole view of him.

Yeah he seems to have become a ton more self-aware lately and it's pretty great.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

This is a really clever idea. There could be some awesome stuff.

Like, if it's basically year-round purestrain sport, then gently caress yeah. Include all the weird sports and treat every one of them as a competition of pan-dimensional consequence.

This also makes me think that the Olympic channel should absorb the World's Strongest Man competition and basically become the new ESPN2.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i was late for a meeting the other day because i couldn't tear myself away from premiere league darts. it was utterly gripping and i didn't even know it existed

i'll prob never watch it again tho

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Craig Sager died.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/809493566309285888

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

i was late for a meeting the other day because i couldn't tear myself away from premiere league darts. it was utterly gripping and i didn't even know it existed

i'll prob never watch it again tho
Darts just ain't the same since Sid died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKiDZRGRGo&t=134s

quote:

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone home."
"He looks about as happy as a penguin in a microwave."
"It's the nearest thing to public execution this side of Saudi Arabia."

"There was less noise when Pompeii was swamped in lava! Absolute pandemonium here! Barmaids are frozen like Greek statues watching! No beer's been served! Everybody's eyes [are] absolutely hooked on that board."

"That's like giving Dracula the keys to the blood bank"
"Steve Beaton - The Adonis of darts, what poise, what elegance - a true roman gladiator with plenty of hair wax."
"The players are under so much duress, it's like duressic park out there!"
"That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus."
"There hasn't been this much excitement since the Romans fed the Christians to the Lions."
"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer....Bristow's only 27."
"Steve Beaton, he's not Adonis, he's The Donis"
"Eyes like a pterodactyl....with contact lenses"
"That's quality with a capital K."
"Even Hypotenuse would have trouble working out these angles."

I mean look at that poo poo :lol:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

It's a good idea because the previous channel ruled but the branding of it sucked rear end.

As I understand it, many of the contracts in the US for these sports are tied in with the Olympics so they have a wealth of poo poo they already have rights to without a significant place to showcase it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dammit, rest in peace Sager :smith:

E: Rachel Nichols reported it live on "The Jump". Man she's doing her damndest to hold it together. :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah we knew it was coming, but still :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Dammit, rest in peace Sager :smith:

E: Rachel Nichols reported it live on "The Jump". Man she's doing her damndest to hold it together. :(

God damnit :(

Side note, I'm glad that it was literally anyone other than Hannah Storm who had to break this news.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GobiasIndustries posted:

God damnit :(

Side note, I'm glad that it was literally anyone other than Hannah Storm who had to break this news.

I can't think of another journalist who has had to go on the air and announce on live television that her friend died. Twice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously, one of my first thoughts when i saw the news was "please don't let Hannah Storm have to report it"

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
gently caress Cancer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:smith:

Here, have a good memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltpqPd3t5V0

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 16, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the context for this? Did Garnett just lose a tough game? Does he just always deadpan his smack talk? I was trying to find the humor but it just seemed mean. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the context for this? Did Garnett just lose a tough game? Does he just always deadpan his smack talk? I was trying to find the humor but it just seemed mean. :(

KG is the biggest trash talker of all time and clearly Sager thinks it's funny too.