Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

The G-Mo Batman and Robin logo is the best modern Bat logo and shame on them for not using a variation of it somewhere.
They used that logo during Tomasi's run of B&R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

They used that logo during Tomasi's run of B&R.

But not anymore is what my problem is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Si Spurrier reportedly on Suicide Squad in some capacity from ish 9.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/07/si-spurrier-joins-suicide-squad-issue-9/
It says he's not replacing Rob Williams, so backups?

I haven't gotten to reading his Legion X-Men thing, but I like Cry Havoc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 8, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Not bad but Soy fit better the tone of the book

https://twitter.com/ColakMirko/status/806967986330464256

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's Ambush Bug!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

redbackground posted:

It's Ambush Bug!

Lmao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

redbackground posted:

It's Ambush Bug!

Red Hood takes off his mask, revealing he had been Ambush Bug the entire time, and the series becomes a gag series from now on. Red Hood and the Outlaws sales reach an all-time high as records are shattered.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

redbackground posted:

It's Ambush Bug!

I need to remember to dig out my ambush bug issues. This is uncanny.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What else has Frankenstein been in? He seems neat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was a Frankenstein in the old Creature Commandos war comics, but this guy really came from Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers event, which is comprised of seven four-issue character based miniseries which all come together in a wrap-around story. You could just read his mini (which is drawn by the same guy doing this Superman arc, Doug Mahnke,) but the event is arguably the greatest thing Morrison's made for DC, so it's all worth it.
Then he had a tiny cameo in Final Crisis.
Jeff Lemire wrote a mini set in the Flashpoint universe and then the N52 series, Agent of SHADE, and put him in his Justice League Dark run.
Finally, he was involved in Tomasi's Batman and Robin for a bit after Robin died.

So pretty much everything he's been in is good comics.

e: Oh yeah. He had a Futures' End storyline. Scratch that last point.

ee: Apparently forgetting a bunch http://comicvine.gamespot.com/frankenstein/4005-41226/issues-cover/
I can't remember him being in Grayson or Greg Pak's Action Comics at all.

The Seven Soldiers mini is the important one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 9, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Does the Ostrander Suicide Squad have any spiritual successors in the 90s or was it the last hurrah for the DC spy books for nearly a decade. I have the Suicide Squad mini and blackest night tie in from the 00s.

I still need to get half of vigilante, man hunter, peacemaker, captain atom, firestorm, checkmate, and dead shot mini. Is that all the books from the 80s that intertwine and build off each other in that corner of the dcu?

Ps: everyone should read ostrander's suicide squad. It is a good book. It kinda makes me angry now know knowing that some of the characters just get reset in later years.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Does the Ostrander Suicide Squad have any spiritual successors in the 90s or was it the last hurrah for the DC spy books for nearly a decade. I have the Suicide Squad mini and blackest night tie in from the 00s.

I still need to get half of vigilante, man hunter, peacemaker, captain atom, firestorm, checkmate, and dead shot mini. Is that all the books from the 80s that intertwine and build off each other in that corner of the dcu?

Haven't read it myself but Rucka's Checkmate is supposed to be an excellent spy series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Haven't read it myself but Rucka's Checkmate is supposed to be an excellent spy series.
This is probably your best answer.

VVVVVVVV
yessssssssssss

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:toot:

edit:
https://twitter.com/SEN1227/status/806539105546870786
Japan knows what's up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel Wein and JLGL must've done Kamandi previously.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Yeah I know about that and it has some of the classic 80s DC spy feel to it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you tried Copra?
I haven't yet, but as I understand it's an absolute off-brand love letter to Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you tried Copra?
I haven't yet, but as I understand it's an absolute off-brand love letter to Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

No, but thank you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I finished Planetary. I liked the final issue, but it also felt kind of sudden for an ending.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Well, I finished Planetary. I liked the final issue, but it also felt kind of sudden for an ending.

It really needed one more issue for a proper denouement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

It was massively behind schedule and Cassiday didn't even seem to be interested in finishing the series so it kind of was a sudden hit of the brakes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

It really needed one more issue for a proper denouement.

I remember collecting and reading the issues as they came out.

I read Issue 26 and thought "this is a fine ending for the series."

I was really surprised when months later issue 27 came out. It didn't ruin the ending or anything, it was a fine ending. But really I felt like they had done a good job finishing the story with issue 26.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
How's the n52 run of The Flash after Manapul and Buccellato leave? I liked their run and dunno if I wanna continue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cruel Rose posted:

How's the n52 run of The Flash after Manapul and Buccellato leave? I liked their run and dunno if I wanna continue.

Bail out now.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Insanely bad, avoid at all costs

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Oh. Oh dear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a very blatant "MAKE THIS LIKE SHOW" chunk of the book, so much so that they changed his chest symbol to have a red background instead of a white one and like two weeks after that issue dropped it changed to white on the show.

I mean, just look at this redesign

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, that wasn't the fault of trying to mimic the show, the current Supergirl comic is blatantly trying to emulate parts of the TV version also, but that's not ruining the book. (Honestly, Orlando's Cat might be the best written character in the book)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, that wasn't the fault of trying to mimic the show, the current Supergirl comic is blatantly trying to emulate parts of the TV version also, but that's not ruining the book. (Honestly, Orlando's Cat might be the best written character in the book)

The new Supergirl series was created from the ground up to be like the tv show though. With the Flash there was a directive from above to make it like the tv show NOW with no real planning put into it.

Kind of like how the New 52 started.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

The new Supergirl series was created from the ground up to be like the tv show though. With the Flash there was a directive from above to make it like the tv show NOW with no real planning put into it.

Kind of like how the New 52 started.

See also the Green Arrow after Lemire which introduced Felicity and was complete and utter poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

See also the Green Arrow after Lemire which introduced Felicity and was complete and utter poo poo.

Lemire was brought onto the book to make it more like the show but he ran with it and gave us one of the best takes on the character we've ever seen. Not good enough for DC which is what lead to the following creative team that you mentioned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lemire added Diggle though so it's not like that only started after.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait, hold the phone. You're telling me they did something in the New 52 without planning it out before hand? I find this hard to believe.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There was a very blatant "MAKE THIS LIKE SHOW" chunk of the book, so much so that they changed his chest symbol to have a red background instead of a white one and like two weeks after that issue dropped it changed to white on the show.

I mean, just look at this redesign

i am enjoying the "made in an early alpha of photoshop" gradient background

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PenguinKnight posted:

i am enjoying the "made in an early alpha of photoshop" gradient background

Look at this guy that doesn't recognize the most popular Fashion Runway in the Speedforce.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Speed Force canonically looks like a cheap Photoshop filter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Minor nitpick, but I can't stand the overuse of lightning in the Flash comics since New 52 began. I dug out my trade of Rogue War to make sure I wasn't crazy, and the lightning use in that is way more subdued compared to that image.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Minor nitpick, but I can't stand the overuse of lightning in the Flash comics since New 52 began. I dug out my trade of Rogue War to make sure I wasn't crazy, and the lightning use in that is way more subdued compared to that image.

Johns is to blame for that. His Wally West era Flash became all about the lightning motif.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Johns is to blame for that. His Wally West era Flash became all about the lightning motif.

Johns is to blame for something huh?

Stop the loving presses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

The simple metaphor of lightning=fast is too confusing for today's audiences. If ya put lightning on a guy people are gonna start wondering why he doesn't do lightning stuff. For this same reason, going forward Batman will have actual giant bat wings and see through echolocation.