Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Indeed they do.

Lmao

I knew they loved boobs but thats funny

WayForward loves boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes think that the Shovel Knight people left Wayforward because they did not love boobs enough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Isn't a lot of the art direction done by a husband and wife team or am I misremembering? Either way poking into wayforward's history is cool because they're like Pysonix where they just existed for a long time doing ok contract work and spent decades funding their own pet projects on the side until people paid attention and now they're racking in the Kickstarter gold

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno, but Pirate's Curse's art was done by an Inti Creates illustrator who liked the series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Skullgirls and Shantae are brothers in arms when it comes to their artists' appreciation for cartoon titties.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The part in Pirate's Curse where you get two perfectly innocent bystanders randomly killed by turning them into stone and then crushed into pieces is super :wtf:

Half Genie Hero has some stuff that is maybe a bit more :wtf:. Also I forget who those were. If they were the Ammo Baron girls, then they got better.

Shantae is a monster who lives in a grim hellscape, really.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Half Genie Hero has some stuff that is maybe a bit more :wtf:. Also I forget who those were. If they were the Ammo Baron girls, then they got better.

Shantae is a monster who lives in a grim hellscape, really.

It's the guy weeping in front of his petrified wife and when you tell him the spell to unpertrify her it turns him to stone and they both explode

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

It's the guy weeping in front of his petrified wife and when you tell him the spell to unpertrify her it turns him to stone and they both explode

Ah I forgot that part. Well, at least they're together now. With each other, I mean. They are obviously not still themselves together.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 11, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Beat Sunless Sea. Real good.

Should my next character be a pragmatic but hedonistic smuggler or a disgraced priest who would probably be okay with cannibalism?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Beat Sunless Sea. Real good.

Should my next character be a pragmatic but hedonistic smuggler or a disgraced priest who would probably be okay with cannibalism?

I vote priest, that sounds way darker and interesting.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah! Gonna pick "seek immortality" as this guy's ambition

Definitely a cannibal

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Let It Die is very fun so far, everyone should check it out if you have a PS4.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Skullgirls and Shantae are brothers in arms when it comes to their artists' appreciation for cartoon titties.

For some reason it doesn't bother me with shantae but skullgirls strikes me as skeezy

I think it is at least in part because the skullgirls devs at first were all about how the game was going to oversexualize everybody and include men who were going to have jiggle physics too but then I guess that was just an excuse or something idk, for all I know that could just be a false quote. Dunno why skullgirls is where I start getting iffy about that poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo giving everything big jigglin boobs is a pretty lazy way to attract people to your game, effective though it may be.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like boobs

boobs is boobs

t&a is a-ok but trying to be coy or sly about it is dumb imo, and if you're going to go off the deep end with it, maybe don't be a creep about it either and also acknowledge that you just like boobs instead of trying to come up with excuses

just imo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

For some reason it doesn't bother me with shantae but skullgirls strikes me as skeezy

I think it is at least in part because the skullgirls devs at first were all about how the game was going to oversexualize everybody and include men who were going to have jiggle physics too but then I guess that was just an excuse or something idk, for all I know that could just be a false quote. Dunno why skullgirls is where I start getting iffy about that poo poo

I can confirm that Beowulf does, in fact, have cock jiggle.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I can confirm that Beowulf does, in fact, have cock jiggle.

It only took them getting hosed over 3 or whatever times eh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I like boobs

boobs is boobs

t&a is a-ok but trying to be coy or sly about it is dumb imo, and if you're going to go off the deep end with it, maybe don't be a creep about it either and also acknowledge that you just like boobs instead of trying to come up with excuses

just imo
yeah. that's part of my whole feminist SJW tree hugging gaming crusade. i'm fine with sexualization in games when the devs are upfront about it, and don't want said games to be censored or whatever, they just need to be a small ripple in a larger lake instead of a cannonball splash in an above-ground pool

i feel like senran kegura kind of exists in its own bubble outside of in-jokey stuff like the thread with that one poster, because the dev is super upfront about being horny, and theres no pretense. they aren't like "YOU'LL BE ASHAMED OF YOUR WORDS WHEN YOU SEE THE IN-GAME EXPLANATION" they're like "BOBS ARE GREAT!!!!!" so people just let it go

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well since you asked, in my opinion T&A in games is pretty much always tasteless but at the same time, yeah, it's effective.

I hope devs stop throwing it in there so that I can finally stop flagellating myself for being mostly against it for moral reasons while also being into it for lonely heterosexual male reasons.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The softcore cheesecake stuff in Shantae feels completely out of place considering that the other 99% of the game is so cute and kid friendly. It's like the original art for Crash Bandicoot where his girlfriend was some bimbo in hot pants only nobody stepped up and told them to change it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

The softcore cheesecake stuff in Shantae feels completely out of place considering that the other 99% of the game is so cute and kid friendly. It's like the original art for Crash Bandicoot where his girlfriend was some bimbo in hot pants only nobody stepped up and told them to change it.

Candy Kong in DK64 is one of the most deeply uncomfortable things in video games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also the fairies in Zelda 64. Like things are either kid-friendly cartoon looking or else there's weird Uncanny Valley stuff going on in video game T&A

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

yeah. that's part of my whole feminist SJW tree hugging gaming crusade. i'm fine with sexualization in games when the devs are upfront about it, and don't want said games to be censored or whatever, they just need to be a small ripple in a larger lake instead of a cannonball splash in an above-ground pool

i feel like senran kegura kind of exists in its own bubble outside of in-jokey stuff like the thread with that one poster, because the dev is super upfront about being horny, and theres no pretense. they aren't like "YOU'LL BE ASHAMED OF YOUR WORDS WHEN YOU SEE THE IN-GAME EXPLANATION" they're like "BOBS ARE GREAT!!!!!" so people just let it go

Senran kagura is a garbage video game so the boobs are all they have, really

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

here is my take on shantae: her idle animation is very strange

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

:boom:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shantae has joined team skull in a crossover with the latest pokemon video game

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dancing to her own rhythm, you gotta respect that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
With Shantae, it doesn't bug me because it's thematic as she has a definite belly dancer vibe, and that's a real thing that I've seen a ton of times since it's my part of the culture I came from. With boob ninjas, it's always felt weird since ninjas and assassins aren't famous for their sex appeal except Matahari, who was a belly dancer.

I still play the boob ninja games though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

but like seriously I dont care about games like Akibas Trip, I might even play it at some point, it doesn't pretend to be something it's not (okay I probably wont buy or play it just being real here)

its when it happens in major games and especially ones that could appeal to many audiences that bothers me

like that dead island story where they were gonna sell a womans torso in a collectors edition

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah a key belly dancer thing is they never get naked. It's all about sexy dancing. And yeah, Shantae is straight up dressed like a belly dancer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah the creepy poo poo like Dead Island or trying to pretend that's not what they're doing is in my mind the bigger problem. I'll cut some slack if the developers are just honest about it and put in some effort to do it in a less lazy way and, you know, make the game actually good, though that's not to say it's a blank check by any stretch.

Also there is way more kid unfriendly stuff that goes on in Shantae games than the boobs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

except Matahari, who was a belly dancer.

Which is why she's the most sexualized party member in Shadow Hearts 1

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Isn't a lot of the art direction done by a husband and wife team or am I misremembering? Either way poking into wayforward's history is cool because they're like Pysonix where they just existed for a long time doing ok contract work and spent decades funding their own pet projects on the side until people paid attention and now they're racking in the Kickstarter gold

One of the heads of Wayforward is also a key artist and I think he based Shantae on his wife, which is kind of cute

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh yeah a key belly dancer thing is they never get naked. It's all about sexy dancing. And yeah, Shantae is straight up dressed like a belly dancer.

She straight up is a belly dancer! It's how she transforms

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Senran kagura bugs me for a mess of other reasons, mostly relating to the characters being underaged.

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos for whatever reason doesn't bug me tho. I think the main characters are adults and also it seems even more self aware of just being straight up exploitation b-movie poo poo so whatevs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Boobs are great, skeazy boobs are not great. Shantae manages to feel fun and wholesome in its appreciation of everyone having skimpy outfits, and it works? None of the dialogue so far has been "woah boobs" or anything immature, and I'm fine rolling with it.

Honestly I almost want to compare it to Saints Row IV - there are boobs, there are sex jokes, but everyone rolls with it and is an adult about it instead of being a sleazebag. I mean, they're vastly different and one's cartoon platforming and the other is cartoonish platforming with super powers...

.... wait a minute, I think I'm onto something here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How does the platforming feel in the new Shantae? I don't mean level design wise, just like the general feel of her controls and her jumping and attacking and stuff. I made a post earlier about how much I love Ori's platforming in that way and wanted to know how Shantae is? Well and also I guess also how the level design is. I'm not expecting Tropical Freeze levels here but still. Wayforward's remake of Ducktales was really really good

edit: I think what I liked about Ori so much was that it felt fast. I love Shovel Knight to death but I will admit it feels a little slow, Ducktales too. Where does Shantae fall in that

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 11, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

what do you mean the original art, she was in the first game, they only got rid of her later and even then shes still popped up a couple of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh no she'll be in the remaster lol gently caress

• Locked thread