Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

I figured it would cost more to get home than it would to buy it. it wasn't the good eagle, wagon, it was the crappy 90s eagle summit.

Oh, gross. Yeah that was the right call then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I was 7yrs old, the Jeep Eagle dealer had 2 Lamborghini Countachs on the showroom floor. Only $64,000 brand new. Actually now that I think about it, Jeep had only been owned by Chrysler for a year or two at that point, and 1/2 the parts were still Peugeot and GM, and renix.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I figured it would cost more to get home than it would to buy it. it wasn't the good eagle, wagon, it was the crappy 90s eagle summit.

If you passed one of these up I'll kill you.

I basically live for these.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looked exactly like that, same color and rust and everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It looked exactly like that, same color and rust and everything.

Please try to get one next time because A. they are awesome and B. some guy off his meds on kijiji keeps reposting a want-ad that says he'll pay three grand for one that runs, probably because C. you can bolt-on 4G63/Shitsubishi Evo parts and choo choo your way to 13s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExecuDork posted:

This is cool (not a pun, unless you want it to be).

Can you tell me about your thermal camera? Is it something you got from / for work?
I bought it for work, but it is my personal little toy.

It's a Seek Thermal android camera. Think I got it on some Amazon deal of the day for $200 last year. Not the greatest resolution, but for my needs it is adequate and is the fraction of the price of a comparable FLIR, or at least it was when I checked.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Think the flir one for iphone is around that much. I was just thinking about how something like that would be useful for building a van when you are doing the insulation. Which is something i want to do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Think the flir one for iphone is around that much. I was just thinking about how something like that would be useful for building a van when you are doing the insulation. Which is something i want to do.

The really cool part of the FLIR One is taking videos. Boring poo poo like pouring tea into a mug becomes this mindbending voyage into thermodynamics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I asked santa for one of those cat phones with the flir camera in it, but he just yelled at me for being fat and hurting his leg and only being there for kids so whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The really cool part of the FLIR One is taking videos. Boring poo poo like pouring tea into a mug becomes this mindbending voyage into thermodynamics.

These take videos just fine too. I have a video of one from a glass furnace conveyor I was working on which went off-scale high which is pretty neat. I think I still have it somewhere.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My apologies if this post gets a little into the e\n territory.

I've officially quit the local RX-7 club. The reasons are many. Oddly enough, there's plenty of cross over with the crap that the Spyder is putting up with plus a bunch more little poo poo (and a few rather large issues with certain individuals). It's also reached a point where the more I put in, the less I'm getting out of it.

Silver lining though! You insane lot more get more of my time and with that comes AB:AI scavenger hunt road rallies!

The basic premise is that each team (I generally go by vehicle instead of persons - that way the whole family can get in on it) gets a list of items they need to get pictures of. Each item has a point value. So you have to be a little strategic since there's no way to get all items on the list in the allotted time.
You bomb around all over the city/town/area and get pictures of everything on the list. Each picture must also include your vehicle and all team members.
I've done one trial run and Twitter works fantastically well for this. Tag my account in the image, add the description from the scavenger hunt item list and toss as many hash tags in as you want.
We meet up at the end of the day, usually at a restaurant and I tally up the points and see who's won.
Typically there's a buy in which covers the dinner cost as well as trophies.

Since this event is also not a race and held on public roads, I need gently caress all for insurance, etc.
I'll usually get the various drivers to toss their drivers license in a sealed envelope in the glovebox, that way everyone's kept honest and the whole "not a race" is further enforced.

So all I need to know is, who's in and what dates work for everyone?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've already started driving aimlessly around my city at breakneck speeds. The Town Car is really terrible at getting traction on daycare tile flooring.

Tell me when and where.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've already started driving aimlessly around my city at breakneck speeds. The Town Car is really terrible at getting traction on daycare tile flooring.
That's why I bought a 4x4.

quote:

Tell me when and where.
E: Out of province June 21 thru July 4 though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So my dad just called. The rear springs on his beater E36 328is (auto) Just became many pieces. In addition, all four shocks are blown.

He's not willing to put more than $500 into it to limp it along which means I'm hunting for factory take offs from someone who upgraded.

OR

He's given me a $2000 budget to find a new beater and also sell the BMW.

So what am I missing and how would you guys proceed?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Junkyard parts? Figure out what interchanges with the shocks? Latter might be hard since I think BMWs are mcstrut.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BMW parts rarely, if ever, interchange with other makes/models, especially in the suspension.

New rear springs for that car are $118 each from GermanParts.ca, and new Bilstein struts/shocks for all four corners are ~$750, not including mounts or other hardware (which would add another hundred or so).

Junkyard parts for E36s are abundant, though, especially this time of year :classiclol:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 10, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coilovers-Suspenison-Set-For-91-98-BMW-E36-3-Series-318-323-325-328-Struts-Shock-/401045066278

Get him that super sick stance and questionable handling best provided by ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Ways-Damper-Coilovers-For-BMW-E36-3-Series-316-318-323-325-328-M3-Green-/262719926999

These ones are 24 way adjustable, pretend you're a racecar!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 10, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just happen to have the bilstein catalog open. Bilstein B12 kits are like 800us, maybe a bit less. Over 500 but gets you the B8 shocks and either eibach prokit or sportline springs to go with them. Will be in Lethbridge for xmas which could be a good way to avoid some shipping charges and extra fees...

They are special order from my distributor though, I would have to check on Monday to make sure they'd get here in time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

jamal posted:

Just happen to have the bilstein catalog open. Bilstein B12 kits are like 800us, maybe a bit less. Over 500 but gets you the B8 shocks and either eibach prokit or sportline springs to go with them. Will be in Lethbridge for xmas which could be a good way to avoid some shipping charges and extra fees...

They are special order from my distributor though, I would have to check on Monday to make sure they'd get here in time.

You rock! Sadly, the body on this car is Swiss cheese. It's not worth sinking anything into really. Hence the use as winter beater.

I'm thinking at this point, it might be better to cut our losses and part it out. Sell the winter tires and the shell as an engine donor.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Running into a similar conundrum on my beater e36. I have a front strut leaking that I should probably replace before the planned outing to Regina for rallycross on Jan 7th and these are just a tiny bit tempting when you look at a front shock w/o spring at $120+.

Are the Bilstein B4's "decent" for rallycross, etc? There isn't much info about e36 rally suspension - looks like some people run Bilstein HDs + stock springs. It seems its that or spend $5K on an actual rally set up. Considering what this thing is worth I don't want to put much into it.

I took the A/C condenser off (no pressure in the system when I got it) and have some grand designs about building an HSS bumper & skid plate.

If you don't care about shock brands:

http://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?cartid=32456c4285ad0cb300b6d21ad8348797

I ebay'd rear springs (I got "HD" ones) http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e36-Rear-Coil-Springs-/192032888844

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 10, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

You know what, given how much of a shitbox this car actually is, this is actually a viable option. Crank the ride height to as high as it'll go. Adjust them to as soft as they'll go and for a year or two, it should ride better than it does now. I think we might actually try this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

You know what, given how much of a shitbox this car actually is, this is actually a viable option. Crank the ride height to as high as it'll go. Adjust them to as soft as they'll go and for a year or two, it should ride better than it does now. I think we might actually try this.

The world loves a guinea pig.

They have free 2-7 day shipping in the US, so if jamal is down with slumming it you could save $200 on shipping too, and get it all done for $400 and a nice bottle of wine. It might be reputation damaging if he's ever seen handling ebay coilovers though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Timmy Cruise posted:

Are the Bilstein B4's "decent" for rallycross, etc? There isn't much info about e36 rally suspension - looks like some people run Bilstein HDs + stock springs. It seems its that or spend $5K on an actual rally set up. Considering what this thing is worth I don't want to put much into it.

I put B4s in my scirocco and paid some guy $500 in the states to make "rally" springs and its laughable how good that thing is in the snow with some studs now. I'd struggle to see what would be gained from actual rally grade stuff other than durability.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

B4 is basically an oem replacement. The b6/ b8 are the way to go. B8 is designed for lowering so in some applications might be a slightly different length and/or have valving changes, but as far as i know they're pretty much the same.

Powershift posted:

It might be reputation damaging if he's ever seen handling ebay coilovers though.

My constant internal struggle. I could sell that kind of stuff, and make money doing it, but i don't want to. Currently in the process of rebuilding my website, it has racecomp engineering and bilstein so far. Will probably have JRZs on there, some kw, maybe ast. I don't even like the ohlins dfv that much. Distributor dropped koni so i don't have a good way to get those, and then there's tein, cusco, hks, but i don't like most of their stuff. Tein hg, group n, cusco zero 3r are pretty good but expensive and special order.

One of these days I'll build some lower brackets for the bilstein universal rally struts, but that's going to be like 3-4k for a full setup.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 11, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dad's going for the ebay lovely coilovers, he's totally game for limping the shitbox along for a while longer. His words were that there are no "unknowns" with the car since he's already freshened up the cooling system, brakes and bushings. If he were to pick up another beater, that resets everything for a while.

He already has a Montana re-shipper account via some friends, so he's covered for the free US shipping as well.

Chances are I'll be helping him toss all this in the week before xmas - so some pictures should follow. Maybe next year when he gets fed up with it, I might even get a rally-x beater out of it.

Regarding the discussion of Bilsteins, we just tossed a set of B6's on the RX-8 and holy poo poo. Rides better than new. Or at least better than a R3 RX-8 with 10k km on it. They're also seriously beefy units. Easily double the weight of the factory Mazda shocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Make him hellaflush, it'll be funny.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

AB:AI scavenger hunt road rallies!

So all I need to know is, who's in and what dates work for everyone?

This sounds fun. Let us southerners know when you're running one and I'll participate as possible.

Sorry about the dorito neckbeard crew :smith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jamal posted:

B4 is basically an oem replacement. The b6/ b8 are the way to go. B8 is designed for lowering so in some applications might be a slightly different length and/or have valving changes, but as far as i know they're pretty much the same.

Ya I was mistaken, went back and looked I have the B6s.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Good to know, thanks.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Think we could do that scavenger hunt between boxing day and new year's?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Think we could do that scavenger hunt between boxing day and new year's?

We absolutely can. I'm off from December 17 through new years. The week of Dec 26 through 31 will absolutely work. I'll start working on the list right now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

We absolutely can. I'm off from December 17 through new years. The week of Dec 26 through 31 will absolutely work. I'll start working on the list right now.

Switch can't participate that week but I told my sister about this and she seems keen.

Depending on the weighting of participant location we could either have a south branch and a north branch and meet up in spirit, or we could meet in the middle (red deer?) Or if we're the only southern team we could come to Edmonton.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sounds kind of fun, but I'm in St. Albert for Christmas this year 24-27(?). I suppose depending on the day I might be able to join a northerner team if they'll have me.... although I do need to do some family poo poo while I am there so time might be tight.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This public service announcement is brought to you by witchcraft.

KMS Tools has these bad boys on sale right now for $54.95.

Why should you care?

http://www.astrotools.com/pdf_flyer/78613.pdf

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

witchcraft and :siren: ONE WAY CHECK VALVES :siren:

Holy poo poo that's some good car wizard poo poo.

Also BURN HIM AT THE STAKE

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Those look very handy.

Watch out for licky moose apparently.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/809376211541463040

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well looks like the deep-freeze is finally breaking. For kicks I checked my Nest usage for the past week.

Furnace was on for 2-3x longer than a normal winter day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 17, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've actually been keeping it pretty warm in here, and it's been colder outside here.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So what other statistics can you get out of the nests? Is the deadband configurable?
I'm trying really hard not to go buy a v3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

To be honest I haven't tinkered with it much. Mrs. Slidebite likes keeping the heat at 22C so the furnace seems like it's always on.

What do you keep your high/low at Powershift? Away setting temps?