Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
cooking is fun, please refresh your long-dormant skills

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Time to heat up those veggies! *casts Fire1*

POOL IS CLOSED

Bo-Pepper posted:

Time to heat up those veggies! *casts Fire1*

the masters grill with Meteo

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

For a festive touch this holiday season, summon Shiva the ice goddess through your Williams-Sonoma brand materia to turn your dining room into the North Pole. It's a good thing!

The_Book_Of_Harry

Bo-Pepper posted:

did you lose your memory as part of a mysterious accident leading you to become adopted by a couple in a small town that was destroyed and shortly thereafter you learned the horrifying circumstances of your birth also you are the chosen one?

haha. I'm the flavor to savior

really though, between laziness and the lessened joy of cooking for one (mostly, anymore) I fell out of the habit.

I share a house with people who are usually asleep when I get home, but this doesn't prevent me from cooking things to reheat later. Or at least cooking more than I currently do.

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

For a festive touch this holiday season, summon Shiva the ice goddess through your Williams-Sonoma brand materia to turn your dining room into the North Pole. It's a good thing!

POOL IS CLOSED

cooking for one is markedly less pleasant than cooking for two or more, but maybe that's just me. i tend to treat food as a social thing.

joke_explainer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

cooking for one is markedly less pleasant than cooking for two or more, but maybe that's just me. i tend to treat food as a social thing.

this is true, except if you own the Breville© Fast Slow Pro™, which takes the convenience of pressure cooking into a standalone appliance which can reduce the complexity of myriad meals into simple procedures. the smell of a delicious beef stew cooked up in just an hour will permeate your cold and lonely household giving you the illusion of a vibrant family with a reduced level of effort to suit the clinically depressed. make perfect clear stocks in an hour that would create full-bodied soups that would dazzle even the most theoretical of guests. caramelize onions without having to stand over them for an hour, just fire and forget! The Breville© Fast Slow Pro™ is a cooking powerhouse that will have you filling vacuum packed bags of delicious food and freezing them, sighing as you mark the date and contents of each before filing it away.

The_Book_Of_Harry

joke_explainer posted:

this is true, except if you own the Breville© Fast Slow Pro™, which takes the convenience of pressure cooking into a standalone appliance which can reduce the complexity of myriad meals into simple procedures. the smell of a delicious beef stew cooked up in just an hour will permeate your cold and lonely household giving you the illusion of a vibrant family with a reduced level of effort to suit the clinically depressed. make perfect clear stocks in an hour that would create full-bodied soups that would dazzle even the most theoretical of guests. caramelize onions without having to stand over them for an hour, just fire and forget! The Breville© Fast Slow Pro™ is a cooking powerhouse that will have you filling vacuum packed bags of delicious food and freezing them, sighing as you mark the date and contents of each before filing it away.

bwahahaha

Manifisto

joke_explainer posted:

lol

reminds me a bit of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr_etbfZtQ

ty nesamdoom!

POOL IS CLOSED

my soul just shrank 3 sizes

shabbat goy

Does anyone have a good 'n easy Kimchi recipe? Specifically one that's not gonna smell up my house? I wouldn't mind that but my wife hates the smell. Not super concerned about authenticity since the methodology will probably need to be adapted to her delicate nose. I also have ready access to Korean groceries so I can get some gochujang or whatever I need. Ideally I could just chop a bunch of stuff, put it in a jar, and seal it up.

POOL IS CLOSED

shabbat goy posted:

Does anyone have a good 'n easy Kimchi recipe? Specifically one that's not gonna smell up my house? I wouldn't mind that but my wife hates the smell. Not super concerned about authenticity since the methodology will probably need to be adapted to her delicate nose. I also have ready access to Korean groceries so I can get some gochujang or whatever I need. Ideally I could just chop a bunch of stuff, put it in a jar, and seal it up.

Unfortunately whenever you gas off (or have a leaky seal) for actively fermenting kimchi, you're gonna get some fartiness for a little bit thanks to the carbon dioxide produced by the microcritters fermenting your veggies. Are you looking for a cabbage kimchi recipe and do you have a scale or are you using volumetric measures only? You can use jars, tupperwares, whatever.

treasure bear

remember to thoroughly sterilise everything if you're doing any kind of fermentation because you don't want to grow a load of nasty bacteria

shabbat goy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Unfortunately whenever you gas off (or have a leaky seal) for actively fermenting kimchi, you're gonna get some fartiness for a little bit thanks to the carbon dioxide produced by the microcritters fermenting your veggies. Are you looking for a cabbage kimchi recipe and do you have a scale or are you using volumetric measures only? You can use jars, tupperwares, whatever.

Yes to the scale, and cabbage is great but I'm open to different varieties. I got some from the Korean grocery with pickles in it that was awesome. I have all manner of containers.

e: and a bunch of quaternary sterilizing packets from the brewing supply store.

POOL IS CLOSED

i've not forgotten! just haven't found my recipe that shows a proper ratio instead of :downs: just use a cup of salt yo!! style recipes (that i haven't annotated yet, what the heck PIC)

in the meantime please accept this offering of a proofed dough i just threw in the oven

a proto-catbread

joke_explainer

it makes me so happy to see people making bannington proofed boule style loaves at home. have you tried baking that in a dutch oven? (assume you did anyway, but a preheated dutch oven to drop the dough into gives an amazing oven spring and a fantastic finished product)

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
one of my loaves today come out weird dense, flat and sad with a strange lump on one side

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
it was still delicious with butter

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POOL IS CLOSED

joke_explainer posted:

it makes me so happy to see people making bannington proofed boule style loaves at home. have you tried baking that in a dutch oven? (assume you did anyway, but a preheated dutch oven to drop the dough into gives an amazing oven spring and a fantastic finished product)

i've done this with the no-knead method, but not with regular sourdough! usually i use a baking stone and a pan of boiling water and i've gotten pretty good results so far

(it's a little hard to maneuver my beloved, pre-heated dutch oven f*rt collection in and out of the oven sometimes)

joke_explainer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

usually i use a baking stone and a pan of boiling water

ah, you definitely know your poo poo, sorry to question you : )

POOL IS CLOSED

joke_explainer posted:

ah, you definitely know your poo poo, sorry to question you : )

not really! i only started baking bread on and off a few years ago and i'm still feeling my way around. do you find the dutch oven gets your boules to rise higher instead of the stone and water method? now i'm kinda curious and might have to do a comparison!

i always struggled getting the dough into the preheated dutch without burning the poo poo out of myself or flopping the dough in really clumsily, but the no-knead dough is really loose and sticky compared to regular dough... also i've determined i like the taste of regular bread better than no-knead and i'm not scared of no kneadin' anymore.

e. it a bread???

i was hoping the ears would curl forward a bit but maybe i should have made the slices go inwards toward the ear instead of at 90 degrees to the dough's surface

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2016

Manifisto

well I do not claim to be a bread expert, I've really only done the no-knead stuff in recent memory and even with that it's been a while

but in terms of maneuvering dough, I've used baking parchment for that - just put the whole thing, including the parchment, into the dutch oven

also works with za, and quite well

the downside with bread is that you will get some crinkles in the bottom of your loaf, the parchment does not conform perfectly to the bottom of the dutch oven

so this tip may not be much use to anyone, but I offer it anyway just because

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

i used to use a dutch oven but ive gone back to cooking on unglazed quarry tile (pizza stone works too) and steaming the oven w/ wet towels so i can bake more than one at a time. I get a towel sopping wet and lay it out on a sheet pan w/ a little standing water in it, and kind of crinkle the towel evenly across the pan, then stick that in the bottom rack 5 mins before the bread goes in. The towel wicks up the water and it gives you 20+ minutes of really good steam (after 20 mins or so youll want to pull it out because the water will be mostly gone). I've had great results and don't gently caress with the dutch oven anymore e: im pretty sure i got this from tartine bread

also I concur that turning it out of the banneton onto parchment paper makes getting it scored and into the oven v easy

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 11, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED

someone tell me the secrets of the bread lame

how else will i create the perfect catloaf :smith:

poverty goat

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

someone tell me the secrets of the bread lame

how else will i create the perfect catloaf :smith:

• use a razor blade if you don't have a knife that's really sharp because it gets sharpened regularly
  • try to do the whole cut w/ one quick motion
  • it can help to oil the blade if the dough is pulling/sticking
  • its much easier to score cold dough so if you're having problems at room temp try after proofing overnight in the fridge

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

kitchen scissors if you're not 100% serious about sharpening your knife every time you slash your bread. it works fine.

the bread lame is named that for a reason. this is the byob fine dining effortpost funhouse, not the extremely serious bread people from gws who will fight you dot com efforpost funhouse, if you don't like my jokes, well then h*ck off, b*ddy.

poverty goat

i went through a goony shaving w/ a safety razor phase, the remnants of which are now a lifetime supply of razor sharp lames since i just dont shave anymore

POOL IS CLOSED

i use a h*ckin razor lame actually :unsmith: it was a nice gift even if i haven't figured out how to make the best use of it after all this time

but i don't know how deep to cut or what angle to cut at or where to cut to do these things right

and gws would probably cut me with my own lame

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my husband went through that phase, too, so i have tons of paint scrapers or bread lames. every once in a while i use them for cleaning glass pans that have baked-on hellscapes of soy cheese because i hate myself and want to die (but not of dairy). it works pretty well but like, don't cut yourself.

this is grandma's lamest household tips with everyone's old nana, hamjobs, i guess.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i use a h*ckin razor lame actually :unsmith: it was a nice gift even if i haven't figured out how to make the best use of it after all this time

but i don't know how deep to cut or what angle to cut at or where to cut to do these things right

and gws would probably cut me with my own lame

can you cut the ears at a 30 degree angle or even a 45 to see if it would pop the ears more forward with raising the bread outward during the bake?

i am too squishy to post in gws.

POOL IS CLOSED

hamjobs posted:

can you cut the ears at a 30 degree angle or even a 45 to see if it would pop the ears more forward with raising the bread outward during the bake?

i am too squishy to post in gws.

i will try that for the next loaf, which will be a catloaf

because my partner is in love with the bread and doesn't want to let me slice it

poverty goat

the gws bread thread is chill, dont be afraid

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

i believe you, it is just Intimidating in there in general. i worked in some high volume high stress kitchens and even i'm not that intense about food rules.

POOL IS CLOSED

poverty goat posted:

:psyduck: but then how can their breads obtain enough oven spring?!

joke_explainer

yeah, the dutch oven / high hydration dough thing is just the same end goal as goat's method. you have a huge high heat index with the oven / quarry stone functioning as a massive heat sink, leveling temperatures and keeping it really hot and steady, + with dutch oven and a high hydration dough, you end up with a bunch of steam giving you the good crusts. but yeah, both are fulfilling important bits of bread baking

i made the serious eats cassoulet again tonight:

still cooking actually but I took some pics. gather those ingredients

duck fat in the dutch oven:

sear up the salt pork

sear up the chicken

give it about 8 minutes

onions

4 minutes on the onions or so, then add stock / other stuff

used just a mix of beans that were laying around

cook the beans for about 45 minutes, add celery, carrots, parsley, bay leaves, cloves

after 45 minutes when the beans are good remove the celery

put the meats in and mix it up a bit, then make sure the chicken is at the top with the skin out

oven at 300. then into the oven. two hours later, mix it up and crack the crust forming at the top, and keep cooking. check on it about every half hour until you hit the 5-6 hour mark, and add water as needed to keep the beans covered.

recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

poverty goat

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:psyduck: but then how can their breads obtain enough oven spring?!

actually if its chill when ti goes into the oven the yeast will live a little longer and spend slightly more time in the goldilocks zone farting it up in there

POOL IS CLOSED

uuugh i just ate dinner and seeing that delicious cassoulet made me hungry again :mad:

poverty goat posted:

actually if its chill when ti goes into the oven the yeast will live a little longer and spend slightly more time in the goldilocks zone farting it up in there

don't go ruining my jokes with facts :argh:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

byob fdef philosophy post time: is it hosed up that i like yeast farts in my food, or is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

its just carbon dioxide. you produce copious amounts of that just by breathing. its fine