Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If your device isn't working as advertised, by all means return it. If you aren't satisfied with the quality, return it. Don't perpetually swap devices in hopes that you get a golden sample. That's all I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just switched from a note 4 to a pixel. When I connected my note4 to my mazda3 i could see track info and skip tracks for any music player on my phone. with the same players on the pixel nothing shows up. is there some sort of hidden bluetooth setting I'm not finding that enables sending this data to the car's head unit? Or is this just a dumb regression between Marshmallow and Nougat?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

The Duggler posted:

Put a glass screen protector on my pixel XL, I don't know how people use these things. It's hideous and slowly becoming covered in very visible prints

I'm not sure what brand you purchased, but generally they come with the same coating used to keep fingerprints off the screen. Other than the cutout around the speaker, it's essentially unnoticeable in the ones that I have used.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just switched from a note 4 to a pixel. When I connected my note4 to my mazda3 i could see track info and skip tracks for any music player on my phone. with the same players on the pixel nothing shows up. is there some sort of hidden bluetooth setting I'm not finding that enables sending this data to the car's head unit? Or is this just a dumb regression between Marshmallow and Nougat?

I'm in practically the same boat except sometimes I get the car controls and sometimes I don't. I don't really know why.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bluetooth on Nexus phones has always lagged behind Galaxy phones. I can't imagine Pixel phones would still have the same lackluster bluetooth that plagued Nexus phones, but it's a possibility.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

I would say it's a case of minimalism, I suppose.

Yes today I can continue an email from drafts, but I have to take my laptop out of my bag, put it on it's dock, wait for it to boot up, sign in, wait for things to finish loading, open up Chrome or my local email app, THEN continue.

vs.

Take my phone out of my pocket, put it on dock, continue.

My 2011 MacBook Air goes from hibernated to a usable state in about 5 seconds which is about how long it takes the Switch to go from TV mode to portable mode and it's specifically designed to do that as fast as possible. The only difference is that if someone calls while I'm working on the email, I can pick up and use the phone.

I think you're a lot more in love with the idea of how this would work than the realities of how it would have to work. In your mind, applications are designed to look good and work well with everything from a mouse & keyboard to a controller for a TV to touch to some holographic Minority Report bullshit. In your mind, developers will always develop their apps for all of these use cases even though it would effectively quintuple the amount of work required to do so. In your mind, the device is as powerful as a gaming PC when plugged into the dock but on battery in your pocket never runs at 140° F (which is what an i7 runs at) and barely uses any power at all so it can last all day. In your mind this device gets regular updates and will be usable far beyond the 2 years you get out of a typical handheld device even though unlike a PC the parts aren't interchangeable and upgradeable and will rapidly become obsolete. In your mind, this device costs about the same as your typical high-end ARM SoC-powered smartphone does today instead of the thousands of dollars a high-end Intel gaming PC does and would somehow be subsidized to the point that it would be ubiquitous. In your mind, no one would lose, break, or have stolen this singular device that would effectively be the most important device in their lives containing all of their personal information and being their only computer.

In your mind, none of these things come up and the device works perfectly every time and it's like living in some sci-fi future where your half-alien wife comes to your Jupiter-orbiting home on her lunchbreaks to give you blowjobs and stir your Spaghetti-Os.

The thing is that it should be obvious that none of things in your mind would translate to reality at all. If you give any thought at all to literally part of how any of this would work day to day, the whole concept immediately collapses in on itself. Not because in the 80s no one could imagine their camera, phone, and computer all being in their pocket, but because no one would ever want their car, underwear, lawnmower, and microwave to be the same device.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Give the phones two years and they'll be a powerful as my 2012 computer. Damned things are basically there already, especially for usability. I really don't see another interface being impossible to maintain either. Tablets exist already.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. A major advantage is that you'll be able to have your computer anywhere, without having to carry a laptop. Phone-mode will pretty much be isolated from computer-mode except for specific crossover applications designed by microsoft and a few other people, but there's a lot to be said for being able to just drop your phone onto a cable and have your own logged-in, set up with all your files, and ready computer ready to go at your house, your parent's house when you're visiting, at the office, and at any place that'll let you plug in the adapter. And if they sell it with a laptop adapter and/or tablet, that means you can take the laptop dock or tablet dock for places where that doesn't exist without having to maintain two or three entirely separate devices for casual lightweight computing.

Most of the applications used continuously for lightweight use - windows, office, and internet browser - are already ARM-enabled, and the fact that it'll be able to do x86 means that it'll be able to cover the use-case for those things that you use a bit but can't dump altogether, which was what made RT useless.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 10, 2016

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'd have to give them five years for that, and more.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

logikv9 posted:

I'm not sure what brand you purchased, but generally they come with the same coating used to keep fingerprints off the screen. Other than the cutout around the speaker, it's essentially unnoticeable in the ones that I have used.

Seriously. I buy the Xtreme guard ones for like $2 for all my devices and you can't even tell it's there.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

logikv9 posted:

To second this in a big way, I put a well reviewed tempered glass screen protector on my 6P after about a year of use and the coating on it was smoother than I think the original phone screen was. It was a very noticeable, high quality difference and it resisted fingerprints much, much better than my naked, used screen.

It was the iCarez brand, so I'd recommend looking for that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It seems like it's an issue with the car and most people are saying that it would need a software update. Here's someone with a similar situation as you

Same issue here. 2013 Mazda 3 and Galaxy S5. They played well together until Lollipop, and now I can listen and change songs, but I can't view metadata. I was hoping 5.1.1 would fix the problem, but it hasn't. I usually use Spotify, but I've tried a couple of other apps with no success.

And the solution

The profiles in the S3 and S5 are different. (New phones get new software.) Evidently your car's system can't communicate metadata with an S5. See if Honda has an update for the system (check the service department).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blue Train posted:

It seems like it's an issue with the car and most people are saying that it would need a software update. Here's someone with a similar situation as you

Same issue here. 2013 Mazda 3 and Galaxy S5. They played well together until Lollipop, and now I can listen and change songs, but I can't view metadata. I was hoping 5.1.1 would fix the problem, but it hasn't. I usually use Spotify, but I've tried a couple of other apps with no success.

And the solution

The profiles in the S3 and S5 are different. (New phones get new software.) Evidently your car's system can't communicate metadata with an S5. See if Honda has an update for the system (check the service department).

Huh. My car is a 2016 so I wouldn't have thought it'd be that out of date already.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

silence_kit posted:

I'm in practically the same boat except sometimes I get the car controls and sometimes I don't. I don't really know why.

The mazda3 is a car, not a boat!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Pixel XL, Ford Sync 3, sometimes I get audio controls and sometimes I don't. Bluetooth on Android is a poo poo show, and Pixel hasn't really changed that. 3rd phone with this car (N5, 6P, PXL) and none have been perfect.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Pixel XL, Ford Sync 3, sometimes I get audio controls and sometimes I don't. Bluetooth on Android is a poo poo show, and Pixel hasn't really changed that. 3rd phone with this car (N5, 6P, PXL) and none have been perfect.

Some 2016 Sync 3 vehicles are getting Android Auto by the end of the year. A few already have it from the factory. I believe it's a hardware update to the USB ports as well as the software update to v 3.1 or 3.2, but it's gotta be done at the dealer. Ford says by the end of the year, so that's only a few weeks away.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

My 2011 MacBook Air goes from hibernated to a usable state in about 5 seconds which is about how long it takes the Switch to go from TV mode to portable mode and it's specifically designed to do that as fast as possible. The only difference is that if someone calls while I'm working on the email, I can pick up and use the phone.

I think you're a lot more in love with the idea of how this would work than the realities of how it would have to work. In your mind, applications are designed to look good and work well with everything from a mouse & keyboard to a controller for a TV to touch to some holographic Minority Report bullshit. In your mind, developers will always develop their apps for all of these use cases even though it would effectively quintuple the amount of work required to do so. In your mind, the device is as powerful as a gaming PC when plugged into the dock but on battery in your pocket never runs at 140° F (which is what an i7 runs at) and barely uses any power at all so it can last all day. In your mind this device gets regular updates and will be usable far beyond the 2 years you get out of a typical handheld device even though unlike a PC the parts aren't interchangeable and upgradeable and will rapidly become obsolete. In your mind, this device costs about the same as your typical high-end ARM SoC-powered smartphone does today instead of the thousands of dollars a high-end Intel gaming PC does and would somehow be subsidized to the point that it would be ubiquitous. In your mind, no one would lose, break, or have stolen this singular device that would effectively be the most important device in their lives containing all of their personal information and being their only computer.

In your mind, none of these things come up and the device works perfectly every time and it's like living in some sci-fi future where your half-alien wife comes to your Jupiter-orbiting home on her lunchbreaks to give you blowjobs and stir your Spaghetti-Os.

The thing is that it should be obvious that none of things in your mind would translate to reality at all. If you give any thought at all to literally part of how any of this would work day to day, the whole concept immediately collapses in on itself. Not because in the 80s no one could imagine their camera, phone, and computer all being in their pocket, but because no one would ever want their car, underwear, lawnmower, and microwave to be the same device.

You're really mad this guy wants his phone to be his computer, drat.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My phone automatically starts playing music over Bluetooth, whether on aux or not, every time I start my car. It's really God drat annoying. :suicide:

Pretty sure it's lovely old Ford Sync, moreso than the phone. If anyone has any suggestions of things to check on my 5x to fix it I'm all ears.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

My phone automatically starts playing music over Bluetooth, whether on aux or not, every time I start my car. It's really God drat annoying. :suicide:

The Bluetooth in my car doesn't work too good (I jammed a radio from another car into it and it has... bugs). The main thing is that it sometimes takes a few minutes to actually start playing audio after connecting, and I don't have time for that. So, I plug in aux, forget to turn off Bluetooth on the phone, and hear nothing because it streaming over the air to an input that's not selected on the head unit instead of over the wire that's plugged in to the input that IS selected.

It never starts playing automatically, at least.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

sleepwalkers posted:

Wanting your phone to do everything a dedicated computer and cell phone do in one device isn't minimalism, my dude.

I can't tell if you're being obtuse to prove a point but by "minimalism" I mean in terms of # of devices. I want one device to rule them all, maybe 2.

Wrist Watch posted:

So...you want to be able to throw your phone in a dock while you hop on the couch and keep playing clash of clans or whatever, except with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Or are you saying you want full versions of console games on your phone a la the Switch, except on a device as small as a phone?

Either way, you're sticking something everyone uses all the time in an immobile dock. What happens when someone calls you or you get a text? What happens when you get a notification you want to check out?

I should have clarified - I was using the Switch as a "portable <-> home" device because it's new and topical, but ideally there would be need for a dock.

You're right about mobile games - but, what if, I get home sit on the couch, turn on a game controller and my Switch-phone automatically goes into "media entertainment" mode - casts to my tv - and I can play console-quality games, without putting anything in a dock? Then I get a call or a text, it alerts me on screen, I pick up my phone, it detects it's been picked up and pauses my game and then I answer it or whatever?

This is the kind of future I'd love, however unrealistic. That's all I'm saying here guys, this is something I want ( I can't figure out why anyone else wouldn't want it either ), but I get that it doesn't exist right now for millions of reasons. It's a dream, an ideal, and really just a stop-gap to the ultimate end-goal of having it all implanted in my body and have it display as holographs or whatever - that would take care of the "battery life" and processing power. :awesomelon:

You're putting a lot of stuff "in my mind" and you seem very aggravated about this. Is it because I told you you were wrong about something? Did that set you off?

Right now, most people's phones already ARE the most important device in their lives with all of their information. What happens if you lose it right now? What happens if you lose your fancy macbook pro that boots up in a nanosecond? What if you got mugged, or caught in a house-fire, while you had both items, tomorrow? What would you do? This is a potential reality that exists today sir.

You would have to have another device to sign into a browser and find it or remote wipe it or whatever and get a new one. Well in my "Jupiter orbiting house" ( :confused: ) I will say "Ok Gergle, remote wipe my phone and change all my passwords, then order me a new one". In this future, with my "half-alien wife" ( are you projecting here? Do you not like humans? Do you find you have difficulty interacting with them? ), there are 2 "most important devices" - 1 portable, 1 static.

Oh you might say - what happens if my home gets destroyed by an errant asteroid? Well then I will use my implanted satellite phone to contact my space-insurance company who will teleport me to a safe-house that contains backups of everything. I can do this all day.

Maybe I should write a book about this, because thinking about "the future" seems to be a very difficult concept to grasp.

Good grief - all this because I like the concept Microsoft is still trying to get off the ground.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 10, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You should go outside.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm actually pretty happy that I have a bunch of separate devices to do stuff, having one superphone which acts as gaming console, desktop computer, entertainment centre and as a regular old smartphone is just asking for trouble.

Having a Mac laptop, android phone, a Sony console and windows desktop would become impossible in this terrible future

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It's just solving a problem that doesn't exist. If I start an email on my phone, it's right there in Gmail on my laptop. If I start a movie in Netflix or Google Play, I can resume just fine on my laptop, or cast to my TV without having to plug anything in. If I need to check a document on the go on my phone, I already can because it's in Dropbox or Drive, no dockable laptop thing necessary. If I'm playing a game on my phone (which I don't really, hah), it is almost certainly not going to be anything that translates to a laptop or TV well at all, and vice versa. If it was such an amazing thing to have, you'd think the Atrix or Padfone/Fonepad (lol) would've taken off, or at least been critical if not commercial successes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's almost like different people may want different things!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FogHelmut posted:

Some 2016 Sync 3 vehicles are getting Android Auto by the end of the year. A few already have it from the factory. I believe it's a hardware update to the USB ports as well as the software update to v 3.1 or 3.2, but it's gotta be done at the dealer. Ford says by the end of the year, so that's only a few weeks away.
The 2016s that have AA are using 2017 MY head units. The 2016 head units (like mine, VERY early 2016 MY) are waiting on the update. Ford has said by end of year, but they've said a lot of dates, and we'll believe it when we see it. AA doesn't need hardware, its for Apple's Carplay that they need to update the USB hub. Why they can't just release the update for sync and disable carplay we dunno either.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

It's almost like different people may want different things!

This is a great point. Something can't be good or bad, just wanted by different people. Everything's the same, nothing matters, etc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ilkhan posted:

The problem here is Ford. Sync is godawful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RVProfootballer posted:

It's just solving a problem that doesn't exist. If I start an email on my phone, it's right there in Gmail on my laptop. If I start a movie in Netflix or Google Play, I can resume just fine on my laptop, or cast to my TV without having to plug anything in. If I need to check a document on the go on my phone, I already can because it's in Dropbox or Drive, no dockable laptop thing necessary. If I'm playing a game on my phone (which I don't really, hah), it is almost certainly not going to be anything that translates to a laptop or TV well at all, and vice versa. If it was such an amazing thing to have, you'd think the Atrix or Padfone/Fonepad (lol) would've taken off, or at least been critical if not commercial successes.

Yeah, I used to want a single device, but the more and more I can do on the Internet with a smartphone, the less I care about having a powerful mobile computer. The ease of file sharing means that I'm happy having multiple dedicated devices instead of one all purpose device.

Then again, I currently use three PCs, a phone, and a tablet for different purposes, so I'm obviously okay with maintaining multiple devices.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ilkhan posted:

Nexus 6P, McLaren F1, works great here. I know I should be using the Pixel XL but I'm not made out of money guy!!!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thermopyle posted:

The mazda3 is a car, not a boat!

lol point taken

Desk Lamp posted:

Bluetooth on Nexus phones has always lagged behind Galaxy phones. I can't imagine Pixel phones would still have the same lackluster bluetooth that plagued Nexus phones, but it's a possibility.

Yeah, I have the same car as LeftistMuslimObama, and experienced the same problems when my Nexus 5x switched from Android 6 to 7. The Bluetooth controls intermittently appear though and haven't totally disappeared.

LastInLine posted:

In your mind, the device is as powerful as a gaming PC when plugged into the dock but on battery in your pocket never runs at 140° F (which is what an i7 runs at) and barely uses any power at all so it can last all day. In your mind this device gets regular updates and will be usable far beyond the 2 years you get out of a typical handheld device even though unlike a PC the parts aren't interchangeable and upgradeable and will rapidly become obsolete. In your mind, this device costs about the same as your typical high-end ARM SoC-powered smartphone does today instead of the thousands of dollars a high-end Intel gaming PC does and would somehow be subsidized to the point that it would be ubiquitous. In your mind, no one would lose, break, or have stolen this singular device that would effectively be the most important device in their lives containing all of their personal information and being their only computer.

You could connect your phone to a desktop hardware accelerator and if heavy computation were required, it could be offloaded to the accelerator.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 10, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

How do people consider this an acceptable workaround?
(Review for the Netflix daydream app)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

I had a friend who had a circa-2002 Macbook that was so fried he had to have it on a cooling plate at all times, and when I laughed at it he said "IT'S STILL BETTER THAN YOUR PC"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

That has to be a troll

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

EugeneJ posted:

I had a friend who had a circa-2002 Macbook that was so fried he had to have it on a cooling plate at all times, and when I laughed at it he said "IT'S STILL BETTER THAN YOUR PC"

you're cooling it wrong

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Huh. My car is a 2016 so I wouldn't have thought it'd be that out of date already.

What software version are you using?

The audio controls work fine on my 2016 (apparently MY2017) and Nexus 6P with this software

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CLAM DOWN posted:

That has to be a troll
I don't know, I've seen a lot worse than this from people trying to cool their phone for VR

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

I don't know, I've seen a lot worse than this from people trying to cool their phone for VR

Like the guy who strapped the icepack in with his phone.

I mean the phone gets hot because it's pushing fullscreen video with graphical rendering based on sensor data to adjust it many times every second to account for positioning in time and space. Yes it will get hot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Processors get very very hot. I mean the standard desktop CPU is like 30x30x5mm but heatsinks are easily 50x that size just to keep it from burning itself up. Most modern laptops use the entire metal body as a heat spreader. Phones have very little volume to spread the heat around, and no fans.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taffer posted:

Processors get very very hot. I mean the standard desktop CPU is like 30x30x5mm but heatsinks are easily 50x that size just to keep it from burning itself up. Most modern laptops use the entire metal body as a heat spreader. Phones have very little volume to spread the heat around, and no fans.

Yes, metal phones running a far more efficient architecture comparatively to x86 have had no thermal engineering taken into account by the makers of the phone nor the makers of the CPU. They certainly don't take into account thermal testing during development, and the CPU manufacture doesn't have a TRM nor any information about minimum or maximum temperature ratings of their product.

If only they had done ANY of that before smearing solder blindly onto a bga, doing 0 testing, and releasing it to market. Thank you internet forums user Taffer for bringing this problem to light. I shall inform the phone manufactures post haste of this startling revelation that you, and only you have had the good insight and intelligence to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, metal phones running a far more efficient architecture comparatively to x86 have had no thermal engineering taken into account by the makers of the phone nor the makers of the CPU. They certainly don't take into account thermal testing during development, and the CPU manufacture doesn't have a TRM nor any information about minimum or maximum temperature ratings of their product.

If only they had done ANY of that before smearing solder blindly onto a bga, doing 0 testing, and releasing it to market. Thank you internet forums user Taffer for bringing this problem to light. I shall inform the phone manufactures post haste of this startling revelation that you, and only you have had the good insight and intelligence to think about.

I don't think the oneplus line is compatible with daydream though