Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe Ned is MJ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've seen some speculation the white blond girl in the trailer is Felicia Hardy, but uh, maybe it's just a girl with white blond hair?

I mean, i wanna see Black Cat a lot, but I'm not going to jump at any thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The only love interest I care about in this movie is Marisa Tomei.

Comic nerds/possibly art nerds; Is there some reason why the majority of Spider-Man's villains have green for their primary costume color? Off-hand, I can only think of Shocker and Rhino that aren't green-centric that are human. Then you have the symbiote-based villains, which in a way could be deliberate as they're alien and weird and not-green = alien? But there are a couple non-alien villains who aren't down with the green motif which throws that out.

I get that red and green are complimentary colors so Spider-Man + Green Villain = Pleasing Christmas Image, but why are SO MANY of them green? Has it ever been brought up by the artists?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

The only love interest I care about in this movie is Marisa Tomei.

Comic nerds/possibly art nerds; Is there some reason why the majority of Spider-Man's villains have green for their primary costume color? Off-hand, I can only think of Shocker and Rhino that aren't green-centric that are human. Then you have the symbiote-based villains, which in a way could be deliberate as they're alien and weird and not-green = alien? But there are a couple non-alien villains who aren't down with the green motif which throws that out.

I get that red and green are complimentary colors so Spider-Man + Green Villain = Pleasing Christmas Image, but why are SO MANY of them green? Has it ever been brought up by the artists?

It probably has to do with how hard it was to get good, consistent colors early on in pulp comic ink. Hulk was originally gray if I recall, but they could never get the color mix right on their cheap printer, so he'd shift from gray to brown to blue to purple within a single issue. Green reads as green, even if the green on page 6 is yellower than the green on page 4 and such. Green became a reliable color that jumped off the page well enough, and it made it easy to differentiate between heroes, who were often some mixture of red, white, blue, or yellow.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Feige also mentioned the actors they cast were specifically chosen because they wanted to to do younger and more modern versions of classic characters and mentioned Holland, Tomei, and Zendaya.

Unless "Michelle" is a classic Spider-Man character I can't remember, then I think it is pretty obvious that they wanted this to be a surprise twist and are trying to do a "Blofeld" with the name.

Do they not mention that the girl is Liz Allan?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Chickenwalker posted:

Do they not mention that the girl is Liz Allan?

That's Laura Harrier. They're talking about Zendaya's character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Comics Alliance posted some interesting articles about superheroes and color theory that you should enjoy:

http://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-primary-heroes/

http://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-part-ii-secondary-characters/

http://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-darkness-light/

http://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-outliers/

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Relevant:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That page is everything good in the world.

twistedmentat posted:

I've seen some speculation the white blond girl in the trailer is Felicia Hardy, but uh, maybe it's just a girl with white blond hair?

I mean, i wanna see Black Cat a lot, but I'm not going to jump at any thing.

It's just people trying to run and make those "Top 10 Easter Eggs in the Spider-Man trailer" videos. A page or two back someone called the same blonde girl Gwen Stacy. It happens.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The image isn't showing up, but is it that Mike Allred splash page from FF?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Did Cindy (Tiffany Espensen) make it into the trailer?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The image isn't showing up, but is it that Mike Allred splash page from FF?

Yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I loving love superhero color theory so much

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because Marvel villains tend to be coded Green, I always wondered if Rogue always having green as part of her outfit was a visual reminder that she wasn't purely good, that she hasn't thrown off her villain origins completely.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Just try to fit this costume into your fancy theory:

FF is a bunch of ivory tower intellectuals!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm 90% sure that was the explicit intention originally, yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

Mostly heroic, but stay away from her crotch.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Mostly heroic, but stay away from her crotch.

That should go without saying. She's 13.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can never be sure when a portal could just open up and out comes Hal Jordan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Time flows differently on Hal's earth. He claims they're actually about the same age from a certain point of view!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
They could also only print like ten colors in those days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

That costume is an abomination unto Kirby.

Issue:resolved. :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Kitty gets a pass, she still has costume problems these days.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At least she remembered to put all her clothes on :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Decius posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

Kitty gets a pass, she still has costume problems these days.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Thank you for this.

I guess I didn't realize how much green = villainy was represented outside of Spider-Man. It seemed like something that stuck mostly with him, but based on the explanations in those articles, it makes even more sense why you would see more villains in green for the type of villains he has.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is that my bro Longshot?

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Shageletic posted:

Is that my bro Longshot?

The gun makes me think Star-Lord.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Loser_Rex posted:

The gun makes me think Star-Lord.

Yep, since they were an item for a while. That's why she wants his opinion.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Star-Lord costume did work well for Kitty.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJGh51wR7k

People talk about how unmemorable the music in the MCU is, but I actually really like this track

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Patrick Wilson has been cast as Ocean Master in James Wan's Aquaman movie. I like this casting. http://batman-news.com/2016/12/12/patrick-wilson-ocean-master-aquaman/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Surely they won't call him Ocean Master, even in a world of heroes and villains with dumb names that one's a step up in stupidity.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

X-O posted:

Surely they won't call him Ocean Master, even in a world of heroes and villains with dumb names that one's a step up in stupidity.

Serious question: What would you call him? Mordred?...Actually, that's not too bad.

I'm not saying that name isn't terrible. That's D-List GI Joe name territory.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just call him Orm

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

Just call him Orm

Pretty sure that's what they did in Throne of Atlantis too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nah-quaman

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

X-O posted:

"And then the world will learn that the true Ocean Master is me, and not some... Aqua Man!"

And it will be stupid and glorious, and I'll eat it up like chocolate ice cream with choco-sprinkles. :allears:

Edit: I'm just saying that any modern actors that portray super-villains should look at the master class that is Raul Julia's M.Bison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzl3uvkkmmo

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 13, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think a moniker like "The Ocean Master" works perfectly fine in a fantasy setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The DCEU is not going for fantasy, is the thing.

• Locked thread