Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Dollar pull Morning Star :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Dollar pull got Sabin's Armlet. Probably the best item on the banner besides the OSB!

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Squat on dollar pull, but I, too, am a card carrying member of the Indomitable Blade fan club (from awhile back), so it's fine.

However, don't be me and go into the Ultimate with a CM team not using Protectga, because all of those guys kinda hurt with their physicals.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jesus, dollar pull got me my second enhanced bioblaster. The game must know I really liked Edgar.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Decided to do a one last pull to help with ult++. Got 4 orbs, and only one of them is useful to me. The eh ones were some lovely generic heavy armor, rinoa's en-earth sb (already have one) and irvine's ssb that's just fullbreak (rather use canister shot). If I didn't have laguna's ssb gun and a combined ulysses I'd like the gun more but I guess it's ok?

Anyway I also got quistis' bsb, which is loving amazing!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Irvine's new SSB isn't Full Break, it's Pentabreak. Notice how it also reduces Mind. This means that it will stack with Full Break.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jesus, dollar pull got me my second enhanced bioblaster. The game must know I really liked Edgar.

Pull more to get an 8*++!~~~

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Irvine's new SSB isn't Full Break, it's Pentabreak. Notice how it also reduces Mind. This means that it will stack with Full Break.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, that's awsome!

That being said I uh, didn't know the sorceresses reflected themselves and magic bounced spells to hit you. So there is no way I can kill them before they slaughter half my crew. Though quistis makes super quick work of them, by the time I wrath twice I'm hosed. Maybe I shouldn't have left it to the last second, after the event ended. Woops.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Ultimates were actually super challenging this time around, I had fun beating them

Kefka remains King rear end in a top hat with his counter slave crowns :argh:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Beasteh posted:

The Ultimates were actually super challenging this time around, I had fun beating them

Kefka remains King rear end in a top hat with his counter slave crowns :argh:

Counter slave crowns are annoying, but using five KO resist accessories to completely null his opening hit and five Rosa a full three turns to spam wrath while I needed no healing made the fight a total joke anyway. Curada and Magic Blink is a potent combo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wave Ultimates are the best. Welp, just blew up everybody. Oops, there I go again. Oh man, you ran out of dudes.

On to the pluses.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I got Cyan's SSB on a dollar draw on the first banner, and now apparently I got Sabin's SSB on the dollar draw on this banner. That's incredible luck.

ETB posted:

Dollar pull got Sabin's Armlet. Probably the best item on the banner besides the OSB!

Especially since I guess it's pretty good! Looks like a medica/Esunaga which is always welcome.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I felt like these Ultimates got easier as they went on, for FF6.

Magitek Laser gave me all kinds of S/L annoyance and the armors using Crush if you don't kill fast enough hurt, but that was partially my fault for going in with Machinations and not holding out for Abes All-Star for RW.

Guardian U+ was... long, mostly, though a CM feels like "Hope you have Indomitable Blade!" with how much damage those Flares do and with his HP+the gimmick.

Kefka U++ I brought in KO resistance because I read up on his meteor, had one S/L where I fatfingered Focus instead of Shout, then the second time the Meteor missed the three people that had the KO moderate res and he just never quite handled that+Maria Song RW beatdown. Definitely recommended strategy.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok I take it back, I destroyed the viii ult++. And now that I take a better look at it, my ffviii synergy is stupid good?

For weapons I have 3 swords, 2 fists, 3 guns, 3 magic throwing weapons and one whip. For armor I have 2 magic light armors, 3 mage helms, one attack light armor and one non-offense boosting light and heavy armor each.

I have faithga+hastega on edea. I have both a resistance boosting sb and a defense boosting ssb on seifer. Rinoa has a non-elemental ssb, her aoe 2-hit en-earth summon sb and her aoe slow earth sb. Irvine has his hyper break ssb and a wallbreaker sb. Laguna has a boostga ssb, squall has his bsb and quistis has her bsb.

Once fujin comes out, I can run a full mage team equipped with all 5*'s. I can do the same physically now, but I can use both raijin as a monk and zell as my chain full charger with no weapon overlap. All I need is a medica for selphie, which is why I got all that poo poo, cause I keep drawing or selphie damnit.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ultimate Kefka way easier than the mech/guard rush. Yay!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I struggled with the FF8 U++ (eventually managed a clear without mastery), but considering that even Kefka was much easier I'm guessing that the Sorceress fight was just overtuned like Mote Ifrit. And both are from FF8; I'm sensing a pattern here. :v: He still wasn't easy, as I had to rejigger my team once for more damage potential by swapping out Exdeath for Basch. But regardless he couldn't stand forever against two holy-typed BSBs (Pecil and Garnet), so once they got those going he was taking ~40K per round.

Guardian was definitely made easier by throwing Grand Cross in the mix to absorb single-target magic, and I got confused about which fight I used Exdeath in. :downs: Not Guardian, but rather just FF8 U++ and a Kefka attempt. While I'm a bit skeptical on its efficacy against Kefka (given that he has more defense and health than Guardian), I'm curious about putting it up for RM. Thoughts? I'm used to searching out other useful-but-niche RMs as opposed to having one.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SageAcrin posted:

Guardian U+ was... long, mostly, though a CM feels like "Hope you have Indomitable Blade!" with how much damage those Flares do and with his HP+the gimmick.

You don't even need Indomitable Blade; Celes' Magic Shield with the standard debuff layers and Shellga means he'll barely tickle you.

I brought Shadow along instead of another mage for fastcast Veils; with a decent mage weapon and Vessel of Fate he was hitting for about 8-9k with Veils. It's just a shame that he can't use any of the VI mage gear, not even the Enhancer.

Kefka felt more like he was way undertuned rather than the Sorceresses being overtuned.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Between Minwu's, Aerith's, and Beatrix's BSBs, the Kefka fight was ridiculously easy. Was kind of questioning why the game kept giving me BSBs that do holy damage but whatever keep 'em coming.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I got Cyan's SSB on a dollar draw on the first banner, and now apparently I got Sabin's SSB on the dollar draw on this banner. That's incredible luck.

Especially since I guess it's pretty good! Looks like a medica/Esunaga which is always welcome.
It also increases your party's defense by +100%

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I don't think the Sorceresses were overtuned so much as multi-stage fights are just harder by virtue of requiring different setups than the ones that work on single target fights, which is most of the content and ergo probably what most players are geared to handle. I failed Mastery first try because I was using my standard team but this was not a fight where Agrias, who's normally a stalwart part of my A-Team, could shine since neither her AoE not her single target burst damage is great. Normally she packs something to hit whatever weakness the enemy has and uses Cleansing Strike but there were too many targets to apply an ATK/MAG debuff to and while rolling with Biora Strike and Blizzara Strike allowed her to hit weaknesses, she wasn't adapted to this encounter. I ended up swapping her out for Balthier, since Bio Grenade was tailor-made for Phase 1, access to Blizzara Strike was great for phase 2 and Strahl Strafe was a much better option for zerging phase 3 than anything Agrias has. I mean, Kefka is a single target boss that's weak to Holy. Everyone has R3 Saint Cross, right? In comparison, how many people even honed Bio Grenade to R2?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Dollar pull got me Sabin's SSB, and a 50 on the last banner got me Shadow's BSB, Leo's SSB, Cyan's SSB, and Celes's SSB which I've been trying to get every banner it's been on. This set of ultimates seemed really easy, with the waves going down extremely fast from Terra using Leviathan, and Kefka eating 9999x6 shocks with stacking debuffs and resist gear making his magic rarely do more than 400 damage. Guardian wasn't hard, just long with the Cid's mission. I didn't realize he'd use magitek barrier a second time which really slowed things down when he nulled an entire round's worth of spells I had queued up.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
I haven't blown up Lady Amandine yet for the U+ multiplayer yet, so I'm gonna throw up a room on 4666 if anyone's interested. I'm gonna bring Luneth and Fang if you've got any good wind pairs you wanna exploit. :getin:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Everyone has R3 Saint Cross, right? In comparison, how many people even honed Bio Grenade to R2?
Oddly enough I have the latter but never even crafted the former. :shrug: (I generally stick to R4 Cleansing Strike x2 and/or Pecil's BSB.)

But to address your overall point, the issue wasn't that there was a multi-stage fight or that any given stage had multiple targets, but rather that the different stages had notably different requirements that are difficult to squeeze into a single team all at once. If we had (say) three identical or at least similar waves of any given stage, that U++ fight would be a lot easier. (We've already had the Black Knight fight from FF2, for instance, and that was probably one of the easiest U++'s thus far.)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I did a spontaneous three pull on banner 2 of the VI event since it just landed and all.

Well hello there Strago. I'll take a Wall Jr. most joyfully.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man I really wanted to pull on a vi banner, as that's my favorite realm. Sadly I'm now at like 0 mythril, so I'm gonna have to skip the next couple of events.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
As a reminder, Phase 5 multiplayer beta is landing tomorrow. XIV Titan for the U+. Don't forget to grab your Mythril before Lady Amandine is gone.

They're supposedly adjusting the drops to be better and greens to be more common, so if the U+ isn't a nightmare I might farm that when I get bored.

Might try downloading an emulator and playing around with it for just multiplayer, hopefully it runs smoother.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

pichupal posted:

As a reminder, Phase 5 multiplayer beta is landing tomorrow. XIV Titan for the U+. Don't forget to grab your Mythril before Lady Amandine is gone.

They're supposedly adjusting the drops to be better and greens to be more common, so if the U+ isn't a nightmare I might farm that when I get bored.

Might try downloading an emulator and playing around with it for just multiplayer, hopefully it runs smoother.

Amandine doesn't go away until the 14th. It's kind of weird but I'll take it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My favorite combo for multiplayer has been the Dead Duo: Leo and Minwu. Exploiting holy for everyone and providing instacure with damage reduction is primo.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Alxprit posted:

Amandine doesn't go away until the 14th. It's kind of weird but I'll take it.

Huh, I sorta assumed it would follow the pattern, but I guess this next update is coming sorta early too.

ETB posted:

My favorite combo for multiplayer has been the Dead Duo: Leo and Minwu. Exploiting holy for everyone and providing instacure with damage reduction is primo.

I've switched up my multiplayer duos a lot, but I've been cycling Fang, Wol, Palom and Leila for ATK/MAG, MAG/RES, and ATK/RES mitigation - at least when I'm not bringing Shout or Wall. Fang covering Fire/Wind and Palom covering Holy/Fire/Lightning means they can take advantage when people bring Imperils too.

Multiplayer is also finally giving me a reason to level people up to 80 (I've done U++ battles with people at level 50 before). I rarely take anyone past 65 once they've dropped their RM, but I've made sure to egg up anyone I take in to multiplayer battles. Looking forwards to orbfest to level everyone up.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 11, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What the hell is up with the damage in this ultimate? :psyduck:

Magitek laser hit someone for 6k before I could get an action off, and that last batch was hitting with 3k AoE through wall.

edit: Seriously what the hell am I doing wrong here? I can get to the last phase with zero effort but they keep spamming Clash two or three times in a row and that wipes my entire party. How am I supposed to deal with 3k AoE through Wall and Protectga + Shellga with a physical team?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 11, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Guessing from the damage I was taking, but I think it has a pretty strong defense piercing attack and %HP attacks in the last wave, although I haven't checked the Reddit thread yet to make sure. It might be worth stalling a bit on Phase 2 to set everything up for 3.

I entered Phase 3 with Lightning SSB, Multi Break, and the Atk down Dance all prepped to go so I didn't have any issues, although I had to S/L once for the surprisingly strong Magitek Laser in the opening.

Anything you have queued up in between waves you can charge quickly by changing the speed to 5, it seems to be a literal timer between phases rather then ATB count. Or it could be a factor of crappy Android performance?

pichupal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What the hell is up with the damage in this ultimate? :psyduck:

Magitek laser hit someone for 6k before I could get an action off, and that last batch was hitting with 3k AoE through wall.

edit: Seriously what the hell am I doing wrong here? I can get to the last phase with zero effort but they keep spamming Clash two or three times in a row and that wipes my entire party. How am I supposed to deal with 3k AoE through Wall and Protectga + Shellga with a physical team?
They're % damage, you can mitigate them by wearing KO resist accessories. Def and Res won't help, nor will breaks. All three bonus battles this event have % damage attacks, they're pretty nasty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

They're % damage, you can mitigate them by wearing KO resist accessories. Def and Res won't help, nor will breaks. All three bonus battles this event have % damage attacks, they're pretty nasty.

I don't think that's true. My dudes with KO resist gear were still getting one shot, while Celes my RES tank could survive it.

I managed to beat the fight but didn't master it because I forgot to bring a slow along :negative:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I didn't have too much trouble with the ultimate (all hail Ashe RW) or U+ fights, but hoo boy, Kefka. :stare: My successful run was less to do with my strategy and more just getting really lucky with confusion procs.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ultimate gave me the most trouble by far, had to S/L until I got lucky and the last batch of magitek armor didn't chain-blast me for 6k in the first round. Defender was sorta annoying but mostly just a war of attrition. Utterly embarrassed Kefka with my absurd holy team, even though he slave crowned my healer twice through a resistance accessory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Magitek Laser is definitely not % damage

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Magitek Laser is Lightning Magic damage. It's just unusual for a boss to use magical attacks on turn 1.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I was gonna leave the + and ++ for later but I noticed weaknesses to Water and Holy, so off they went.

Both pretty easy but I think Special K went easy on me since he only did two Slave Crowns and one Northern Cross and nobody got stopped. Not gonna complain though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ult was a bitch, even with my Summoner A-Team. Ended the fight with two characters dead, but Hope and his BSB sealed the deal with some en-holy'd Alexanded spam, with a doublecast proc. :black101:

The Cid's Mission was almost adorably harmless, with the below team. As it turns out, my only relevant SB was really good. Prismatic Flash being a -Atk/Mag meant two more stacking mitigation layers, combined with Celes' basic SB. Big bad Wave Cannon did something like 600 to everyone. :v:

Next up, the Ult++
(edit) Ult++ Kefka dead. Vaan BSB is still good, Hope BSB is also good.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Multi-target boss fights that use piercing attacks are horse poo poo .

• Locked thread