Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Outrail posted:

I'm confused as to how an EMT can't be trained to identify a dead person. I mean yeah, doctors have almost a decade of experience, but come on.

Nothing to do with training and everything to do with liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

I'm confused as to how an EMT can't be trained to identify a dead person. I mean yeah, doctors have almost a decade of experience, but come on.

I mean, death is pretty obvious to identify. Things like dependant lividity, decapitation, rigor mortis, etc. are all perfect signs that someone has passed, but because we work under an MD's license, we're not allowed to pronounce death. Yeah, we know that the patient is dead, that's why we don't start CPR and life-saving measures on a person that we know is dead. We just can't say they're dead.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

doctor gotta get paid

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wait for it.

Is that bike super heavy or is she just exceptionally weak?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
mortician: this coffin is perfect for your husband, whose body suggests an incompatibility with life

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Powaqoatse posted:

Trash probably heavier than the bike if that means anything

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powaqoatse posted:

She reminds me of Mr. Burns

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Zipperelli. posted:

So as paramedics, we're not allowed to call a patient "dead" or establish a time of death. We have to write our reports with terms like, "signs incompatible with life" or something similar because we're not doctors.

As of 2013 we can pronounce death as paramedics in Maryland. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FirstPlayer posted:

As of 2013 we can pronounce death as paramedics in Maryland. :)

I could pronounce “death” when I was like two years old.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sloober posted:

Because people are stupid and think "Trains are loud, i will not get hit because i'll hear it ahead of time".

Stand near some tracks that get commuter trains like Amtrak; listen to how god drat quiet it is until it's right next to you. During the summer I witnessed more than my share of kids just standing on tracks doing that stupid pokemon game, i yelled at some to get off them but hey i'm just a dude in a construction vest and I don't know anything.

I went to a school, as a teenager, that had an open campus in a small town with heavily used track (Orr, MN). We often went off campus for lunch at the cafe and such, and we had to cross the tracks.

Fear the tracks. The ballast is slippery and you can't hear the train. Trust me, you can't hear the train. You think you can hear the train, but you can't hear the train.

Use your eyes and your brain. We had DM&IR people come to the school all the time to teach us to "Stop, Look, and Listen" at every crossing. Never race the train. You will lose and you'll be the "dedicated to" picture in the yearbook. For us, not having a dead kid was a good year.

You cannot hear the train. You simply cannot hear the train. It's flying at 50-75 mph. If you can hear it, you're already dead. Doppler effect. Just take it easy and use your eyes, not your ears. By the time you hear the high-pitched tone, you're dead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powaqoatse posted:

cheap bikes are surprisingly heavy (i'd guess that one weighs 30-40 pounds) but yeah she's really gotta HTFU if she wants to make a statement

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah it's the nice expensive bikes that are lighter.

mostlygray posted:

By the time you hear the high-pitched tone, you're dead.

3 - If They Have Cubs, We're Already Dead (7.23.12)
Skip up to about 1:45 for discussion of the Liam Neeson The Grey

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

Bicycles are awkward to lift if you don’t do it often.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Outrail posted:

Liability. The dumb kind.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Probably people would freak out if they saw EMTs just milling around and going "Yep, he dead" when their loved one is just passed out on the ground and doesn't look dead to them. And then the surviving relatives who were there complain (and sue) because the EMTs "didn't do enough" to help their relative who clearly wasn't dead yet, he was just near death and they let him die, the monsters. So the EMTs have to keep going through the motions until a doctor gets there or they bring the body somewhere to call time of death, is that the idea behind not letting EMTs pronounce death?

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/807748724080476160/video/1

I'd like to think that it wasn't the kick but his debilitating foot stank that knocked out his opponent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BJPaskoff posted:

Probably people would freak out if they saw EMTs just milling around and going "Yep, he dead" when their loved one is just passed out on the ground and doesn't look dead to them. And then the surviving relatives who were there complain (and sue) because the EMTs "didn't do enough" to help their relative who clearly wasn't dead yet, he was just near death and they let him die, the monsters. So the EMTs have to keep going through the motions until a doctor gets there or they bring the body somewhere to call time of death, is that the idea behind not letting EMTs pronounce death?

You left out violently assaulting the paramedics.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm not sure of the specifics of why we can't call it, but no doctor ever comes out to the scene. We call in, say that we have a patient with signs incompatible with life (depending on the doc, they may want a description of what, exactly, we're looking at), and the doc will give a time of death over the radio for our documentation purposes. After that, we're done. All that's left is for the coroner/medical examiner to come out and take the body to wherever it's going.

Edit: And we get assaulted as well, somewhere in that timeline.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I was under the impression that determining scientific death is actually a really touchy and philosophical subject. Like, someone can be cold on the ground for an hour but there could still be brain stem or cardiovascular activity because the body doesn't have a giant "off" switch, no matter how bad it gets hosed up, and the systems tend to shut down in a slow systematic manner.

Like I'm not denying that it's pretty loving obvious when someone won't be coming back, but just that "calling it" because you can't pick up a pulse can in some rare instances medically and legally be a very bad move.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Local Hero Dishes Sweet Vigilante Justice to YouTube Doofus Who Blocked Traffic With Gold BMW

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

The douchebag paid a friend to smash just the windshield and no body panels, and it cost him much less than replacing the windshield, and I'm sure he got 0.5-3 million views and more than made his money back.

Please never click on these people's videos.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CaptBushido posted:

I was under the impression that determining scientific death is actually a really touchy and philosophical subject. Like, someone can be cold on the ground for an hour but there could still be brain stem or cardiovascular activity because the body doesn't have a giant "off" switch, no matter how bad it gets hosed up, and the systems tend to shut down in a slow systematic manner.

Like I'm not denying that it's pretty loving obvious when someone won't be coming back, but just that "calling it" because you can't pick up a pulse can in some rare instances medically and legally be a very bad move.

Also there's more than enough cases of people waking up on the morticians slab (or during the funeral, and sometimes possibly *after* it) for the legal responsibility for pronouncing death to be something that you want kicked as far up the chain as possible.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"Look im not saying hes dead. What I am saying is that I had to pick his brain up with a spatula."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The definition of death has also changed a lot over the years, and will probably continue to do so as medical technology advances

Used to be that if you weren't breathing, you were dead. Easy to determine. But then we discovered that you can keep a non-breathing person alive indefinitely with artificial respiration, and we found that people can be in states where they breathe so slowly and faintly that the average person can't detect it, but they're still alive and can regain their health. So the definition changed to be that you're dead when you don't have a pulse. But whoops, some years later we discovered methods of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and invented defibrillators to jump-start a heart that's losing control and heart-lung machines that can keep your brain alive even if your heart and lungs have stopped working, so now "heart is stopped" is not enough to verify death either.

Today we define death by brain activity but it's still a sketchy line -- there are cases of people returning from vegetative states, in which their brains were effectively shut down, that they'd been stuck in for years. And maybe tomorrow we'll invent a new technique that lets us resuscitate a brain that is considered dead today, and the definition of death will have to change again.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Dec 11, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sagebrush posted:

The definition of death has also changed a lot over the years, and will probably continue to do so as medical technology advances

Used to be that if you weren't breathing, you were dead. Easy to determine. But then we discovered that you can keep a non-breathing person alive indefinitely with artificial respiration, and we found that people can be in states where they breathe so slowly and faintly that the average person can't detect it, but they're still alive and can regain their health. So the definition changed to be that you're dead when you don't have a pulse. But whoops, some years later we discovered methods of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and invented defibrillators to jump-start a heart that's losing control and heart-lung machines that can keep your brain alive even if your heart and lungs have stopped working, so now "heart is stopped" is not enough to verify death either.

Today we define death by brain activity but it's still a sketchy line -- there are cases of people returning from vegetative states, in which their brains were effectively shut down, that they'd been stuck in for years. And maybe tomorrow we'll invent a new technique that lets us resuscitate a brain that is considered dead today, and the definition of death will have to change again.

And, really, what is 'brain activity' but electrical signals? I can boot up a PC after being with out power no problem, what stops us going all Frankenstein and resuscitating people by introducing a tiny electrical pulse to the correct part of the brain to boot them up again?

As for heartbeats, I heard it's nothing like the movies, you can't just put 2 fingers on their neck and go "welp, no pulse" to the point they've got actual Doctors to check 10 corpses on tables but some of the Doctors failed to find a pulse in the 2 or 3 alive volunteers pretending to be dead.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's circuits not firing and there's the brain tissue dying which also causes permanent (and crushing) swelling. That probably isn't getting cured ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara posted:

And, really, what is 'brain activity' but electrical signals? I can boot up a PC after being with out power no problem, what stops us going all Frankenstein and resuscitating people by introducing a tiny electrical pulse to the correct part of the brain to boot them up again?

Volatile memory.

You don’t need a tiny pulse. You need the complete firmware, and brains don’t have JTAG ports.

Also, you have to halt decomposition before the circuits are destroyed entirely (read: the blue smoke escapes).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm not sure of the specifics of why we can't call it, but no doctor ever comes out to the scene. We call in, say that we have a patient with signs incompatible with life (depending on the doc, they may want a description of what, exactly, we're looking at), and the doc will give a time of death over the radio for our documentation purposes. After that, we're done. All that's left is for the coroner/medical examiner to come out and take the body to wherever it's going.

Edit: And we get assaulted as well, somewhere in that timeline.

This absolutely must be a US thing; when my wife died the EMTs worked for maybe 60-120 seconds before one of them stood up, apologized, and said she was gone. Well I think he said something about her not responding to resuscitation etc. But yea it was pretty clear.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That cat ain't got no rhythm.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

This absolutely must be a US thing; when my wife died the EMTs worked for maybe 60-120 seconds before one of them stood up, apologized, and said she was gone. Well I think he said something about her not responding to resuscitation etc. But yea it was pretty clear.

60-120 seconds? Oh hell we'd be so fired over here for that. Where I'm at, if we were to find someone in cardiac arrest, specifically asystole (or, flat-lined basically), we have to work them for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes the patient hasn't responded to any of the treatments we've done, we can radio medical control, explain the situation, and then we can cease efforts. Even in this instance, we need to make sure the doc is ok with it.

There are more than a few docs who get on my nerves with this, because if they're working and this happens, you're bringing that patient in, no matter how dead they are.

Also, condolences about your wife :(

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

That cat ain't got no rhythm.

:thurman:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

60-120 seconds? Oh hell we'd be so fired over here for that. Where I'm at, if we were to find someone in cardiac arrest, specifically asystole (or, flat-lined basically), we have to work them for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes the patient hasn't responded to any of the treatments we've done, we can radio medical control, explain the situation, and then we can cease efforts. Even in this instance, we need to make sure the doc is ok with it.

There are more than a few docs who get on my nerves with this, because if they're working and this happens, you're bringing that patient in, no matter how dead they are.

Also, condolences about your wife :(

It's a lot easier when they're trying to resuscitate a Real Doll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CaptBushido posted:

You're not dead until you're warm and dead, true. What Zipperelli is talking about is things like decapitation. The very obviously dead kind. Dependent lividity is a big one too, where your blood is pooling in whatever part of your body is downwards in a way that means your blood is not, and has not, been circulating for a long time. The signs that people can quickly identify like that are irrevocable and there's really not a debate about that as far as I am aware. And no, the organs don't shut down slowly in a systematic manner. They compensate and compensate until they can't and then it all comes crashing apart in a hosed up mess where your heart, kidneys, lungs, and probably liver all start loving with each other as their compensatory mechanisms become completely deranged.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

There's a reason that the part of your that's you floats inside a fish tank built of bone. Brains are comically fragile. The way neurons work, they need a constant supply of oxygen to keep the machinery of the cell from breaking down. Deprive them of oxygen, and they begin dying in about a minute. In the span of about five, the brain is irretrievably dead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a reason that the part of your that's you floats inside a fish tank built of bone. Brains are comically fragile. The way neurons work, they need a constant supply of oxygen to keep the machinery of the cell from breaking down. Deprive them of oxygen, and they begin dying in about a minute. In the span of about five, the brain is irretrievably dead.

Right, but that's not the same as the body being deprived of external oxygen for five minutes. That's five minutes after the blood is depleted of oxygen, correct?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The brain needs more oxygen more quickly than that, else everyone would be able to hold their breath for 5 minutes. Not to mention carbon dioxide buildup, ect

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Right, but that's not the same as the body being deprived of external oxygen for five minutes. That's five minutes after the blood is depleted of oxygen, correct?

Yeah, that's 5 minutes of the cells themselves not receiving oxygen. Usually due to a lack of blood, or the blood becoming sufficiently deoxygenated. When you hold your breath there's still plenty of oxygen kicking around in your system. How long between when you stop breathing and when your brain stops getting enough to keep going depends on a lot of different stuff. Hold your breath while running, and you'll pass out a lot faster than if you were sitting still. Fun tidbit, this is why competition divers stop swimming once they reach negative buoyancy, it conserves a ton of oxygen just to stop moving and let gravity pull them down.

Edit: It's also why people with severe arterial bleeds can die so much quicker than someone who has had, say, a heart attack. Their blood pressure drops to the point that there's nothing going to their brain, so you hit the terminal point almost immediately. Whereas someone who's heart has stopped can limp along for a little bit thanks to stuff like CPR.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Dec 11, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The brain needs more oxygen more quickly than that, else everyone would be able to hold their breath for 5 minutes. Not to mention carbon dioxide buildup, ect

People stop holding their breath because of the CO2 levels, not because of lack of oxygen. It's a reaction in the lungs that happens well before blood oxygen is depleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

People stop holding their breath because of the CO2 levels, not because of lack of oxygen. It's a reaction in the lungs that happens well before blood oxygen is depleted.

The pain is CO2 buildup, but if you make it all the way to fainting, that part is your brain freaking out and shutting down everything non-essential to try and maintain homeostasis.