Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010

I decided to take a look just in case and :lol: All of those "dozens" of videos are from when the AI was still awful. Please try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DancingShade posted:

The brown sea is in this thread.

"It's entirely possible to experience all the content the game has to offer in a D rated Cobra so stop complaining about earnings, insurance costs or stats and just go enjoy the game" :smug:

*zooms off in half billion dollar tuned spaceship*

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

>loudly wonders why no one else plays in open

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I don't play in open specifically because i'm in my billion dollar tuned ship. gently caress even remotely providing even the remote capacity and chance for a player to remove 36 million dollars and 40 modular terminals from my space wallet, ever, ever, ever.

But I'm in open whenever I'm tooling around in a much cheaper ship.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The example isn't relevant. I want to see a D rated anaconda try and take out an A rated anaconda.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DancingShade posted:

"It's entirely possible to experience all the content the game has to offer in a D rated Cobra so stop complaining about earnings, insurance costs or stats and just go enjoy the game" :smug:

"Don't bother upgrading, trying to make money, engineering, or getting a new ship... just go play the game!"

Apparently there is a game that I never saw. A game where you hop into your Sidewinder and do nothing.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
All this talk of playing in Open - who the hell would, ever? As far as I can see there is zero upside and potentially a few downsides.

Open play is truly mystifying to me.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

DancingShade posted:

Closest you're going to get is a community goal which goes well and gives a temporary discount to (stock) FSDs for a week in a particular station. That's about as dynamic as it gets.

Plus I'm sure the brown sea would find something to scream about because fun is bad.

It definitely would get shouted down.
Earlier in the year I was looking at some stuff on the official forums about flying in a RES when it's dark and if there's anything they can do other than the lights and most of the responses were along the lines of "Nobody makes you fly there!"

It's TYOOL 3302 and nobody has night vision goggles?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Bettik posted:

All this talk of playing in Open - who the hell would, ever? As far as I can see there is zero upside and potentially a few downsides.

Never not open! I like seeing other players, it at least keeps the pretense that this could be a multiplayer game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

>loudly wonders why no one else plays in open

hi

Bettik posted:

In more than a year of playing exclusively in open, I have had exactly seven encounters with other players, only one of which ended in non-consensual pvp (it was a Sothis data run, so :welp: ). My experience is that the risk is approaching zero, so why not add a little chaos-factor in the form of ~other humans~?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm saying you don't need to engineer, not that you should never try to improve your ship or get it modded. Yes, you can get a much nicer ship if you do engineer, but it isn't essential.

I personally don't do the big money grinds because I have the attention span of a gnat for the most part - all my money has come from latching on to the occasional big money CG and putting a modicum of effort towards that. (And 20 odd million I got courtesy of meta-alloys that AA bribed GalCop with for votes for in the DG wildcards). I've also noticed that the people who do Robigo etc. seem to end up hating the game the most, so /shrug

re: game modes - outside of known hotspots or when streaming I have had very few encounters with other players, and non of those hostile. (mainly a lot of nervous maneuvering on both parties parts to keep their bums in the sun whilst lining up the next jump)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
My own player encounters have mainly been positive with a few marked exceptions. Still, I play in private for the most part these days, mainly because one of those exceptions involved a friend of mine getting vaporised in her brand new Eagle by some dicknugget in a Corvette and now she refuses to play in open.

I completely agree, though. I love the idea of Open but it's just so much safer and not any less fun to stay in solo or private.

Also :laffo: at AA actively bribing people in the DG and still getting their asses whupped

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turmoil posted:

It's TYOOL 3302 and nobody has night vision goggles?

Considering all the other mandatory not-fun things it's surprising that ship lights aren't actually oil powered floodlights like you'd find on a Ye Olde Lighthouse. Naturally you would to manually light and extinguish them, not to mention refuel them.
Also they would run off low grade oil just so you couldn't scoop a star and do it that way. That would be far too convenient.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Considering all the other mandatory not-fun things it's surprising that ship lights aren't actually oil powered floodlights like you'd find on a Ye Olde Lighthouse. Naturally you would to manually light and extinguish them, not to mention refuel them.
Also they would run off low grade oil just so you couldn't scoop a star and do it that way. That would be far too convenient.

Behold one of the season 3 ships:

The Brown Sea Ouroboros

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

hi

In more than a year of playing exclusively in open, I have had exactly seven encounters with other players, only one of which ended in non-consensual pvp (it was a Sothis data run, so :welp: ). My experience is that the risk is approaching zero, so why not add a little chaos-factor in the form of ~other humans~?

Similar experience here. I've played exclusively in Open since the initial release, and have had exactly one non-consensual PvP encounter in all that time. I've had a handful of encounters with players attempting to interdict me, usually lurking around CG systems, but they're easily avoided as long as you pay attention.

Flown co-op wing with tons of players I've just randomly bumped into in the game though (and spent time taking n00bs under my wing, teaching them the basics), and had lots of fun doing so.

Oh, and I also never fly anything larger than an Asp as I don't like the lack of manoeuvrability that the larger ships bring. I spend 99% of my time in my Cobra, which is the best ship in the game..

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well I can no longer play ED with my Rift, they have removed support for the DK2 meaning last years £600 item is now a piece of junk, my next headset will be a vive I am never going to use oculus again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TheresaJayne posted:

Well I can no longer play ED with my Rift, they have removed support for the DK2 meaning last years £600 item is now a piece of junk, my next headset will be a vive I am never going to use oculus again.

I mean I don't like how Oculus operates as a company and who they have connected to it but something that Frontier did is getting blamed on Oculus who always sold the 'Development Kit 2' as what it's named? DK2 was never consumer hardware and Frontier can do what they please when it comes to support. I have that right?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I will never understand how people are putting up with the VR support bullshit. You don't get a monitor that doesn't support certain games or a required a patch for your keyboard for loving DOOM or whatever.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Bettik posted:

It's more exciting and generally more engaging. I just won't do it if I'm in a ship that costs me more than 4m to rebuy if I go blooie.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Reminder that you really can have a ship that is less than A rated and be effective.
Also that N4I is a giant baby and whines about loving everything.

*preemptive :nallears: or :allears: *

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt. Murphey posted:

Reminder that you really can have a ship that is less than A rated and be effective.

Time to go one better.

Emojis are so macbook pro now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So you don't actually have any other videos; just a link to a google search page with a bunch of nearly 2 year old videos of guys shooting NPCs with eagles.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Kavros posted:

It's more exciting and generally more engaging. I just won't do it if I'm in a ship that costs me more than 4m to rebuy if I go blooie.

One thing that irked me when I played Open was that landing pads in the more frequented systems would be blocked. Once was shot at because the player thought I was a player killer in my wanted FdL. But he got my message in time and we formed a wing ubtil the interdiction bug forced me out of the game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cpt. Murphey posted:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

So you don't actually have any other videos; just a link to a google search page with a bunch of nearly 2 year old videos of guys shooting NPCs with eagles.
Try here.

:q:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cpt. Murphey posted:

This is obviously true but I also think a stock anaconda is probably going to get loving ruined in combat against whatever you were fighting in your A-rated FDL before you "upgraded".

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Have you?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Have I what?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/314154-80-of-the-game-is-staring-at-the-jump-screen

Well. They're not wrong.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

If you reduce a game that far, every game is just staring at loading screens.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mr. Crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNIuXQPkKg

There are literally dozens of these videos; it's not hard and it certainly doesn't take 30 minutes. What would this thread be without rampant hyperbole :allears:

Like I said previously that specific example is probably less likely to happen now with fighters (I have actually hardly played in 2.2, but that video for instance... why wouldn't they player take over the fighter???); but your ship, skill, and module selection have much more significant roles than whether or not they're A rated.

I think the video linked is rather framed.
Or the anaconda pilot was really bad.

for example heres imperial eagle vs corvette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oO-JcscKDo
Thats what big ship vs small ship should look like.
Instead of of anaconda spinning in 1 direction. only firing its gun under 1km range and only popping single SCB. Hell the guy flying the iggle never bothered to go into silent running either. and he didnt bother with fa-off flying because anaconda really wasnt fighting back.
The gap has grown bigger now. With big ships sporting 4000 mj shields. And packhounds being more than capable to wipe out iggle with single salvo. (wipe out as in wiping out every single module in iggle)

The pvp indeet is pretty infrequent, mainly because theres no reason to do pvp
A rank is indeet norm for ships, but fer de lance and fas is pretty much the peak of combat prowess. if you go bigger than that your pretty much designated to tank a lot of hits.

having all b rank ship is actually huge nerf for the ship.
Sure its cheaper and your modules can take more hits, but every module is double the weight. Which really isnt worth it.

that being said. I indeet can kill npc anacondas with imperial eagle.
The Ai is pretty much joke now, it used to be really good and fun to fight against. But now its pretty easy.

I do wish that they figure out a reason for pvp because its truly fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lfWWAna9s&t=102s

Tldr

Mr. Crow posted:

A) What competition? Most players play in solo or private, and even then straight up PvP fights are pretty infrequent. This would be valid IF there was an active open world but... Well... = true.
B) ESPECIALLY against npcs, your skill as a pilot and the specific ship your flying as well as WHAT modules you have will vastly outweigh your module ratings in a fight. Sure all things being equal module quality plays a huge role, but when you can destroy anacondas in E rated eagles (pre fighters anyway), the argument loses a lot. =false anaconda can jump out any time he wants, and that iggle better be A rank to take out those npc's
C) A rated components are usually like what, twice the cost for maybe 10-15% improvement over B, you really think that's going to make a significant difference if you can't turn and leverage the boost/FFA off? = false B rank is twice the weight which is huge deal.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I suppose they could pick a different activity than long-distance trading. That takes care of that problem pretty much instantly.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Whad add-on allows him (and I assume anyone else using it) to track where they have been? That'd be fairly useful, actually.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sethimothy posted:

Whad add-on allows him (and I assume anyone else using it) to track where they have been? That'd be fairly useful, actually.

There's a bunch. That one looks like inara.cz.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

After unlocking the Jameson lass who offers lvl 4 lightweight life support I feel a little bit disappointed. My Beluga got a whopping 0.5ly increase in range for losing more than 40ts of life support. Is there any sense in LW LS? Is there a bigger leverage for the smaller ships, like an AspE or a DBX?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Einbauschrank posted:

After unlocking the Jameson lass who offers lvl 4 lightweight life support I feel a little bit disappointed. My Beluga got a whopping 0.5ly increase in range for losing more than 40ts of life support. Is there any sense in LW LS? Is there a bigger leverage for the smaller ships, like an AspE or a DBX?

Stop looking for things like this to make sense. Embrace the silliness that it is Frontier balance.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

17 Draconis is doing it's thing again, :getin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Weight reduction on the largest ships is pretty moot because the tonnage of the base hulls is so high. The math behind ship stats is kind of hosed because originally it looks like they were going for some kind of universal approach with stats like mass affecting multiple attributes in a consistent and logical way across all ships. Then once we started seeing things like Anaconda's with 40ly jump ranges pre-Engineers, Frontier started cranking up the base hull mass on new ships to enforce the ship balance they wanted. The result of that is ships with mass so high that the loadout is basically irrelevant.

If Frontier could go back and do it over, they probably should have just given each ship its own invisible magic numbers to achieve the balance they wanted. Instead we have this system of player-facing magic numbers that Frontier has gamed to be irrelevant on some ships but not others.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Propagandist posted:

gently caress yeah, sure is.

How in the gently caress did I attain "unfriendly" status???

e: ohhh, the other faction is in control now.

e2: Be forewarned, commanders, Paradisio station no longer stocks rockets, nor mines. Equip your ships before arriving in this system.

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Propagandist posted:

Hot drat! Time to get paid bitches!

• Locked thread