Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dead Rising 4 also pretty much got rid of psychos as far as I hear, in that case as well what the gently caress, they were some of the best parts of all 3 games and always had the best parts of the soundtracks too. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

Dead Rising 4 also pretty much got rid of psychos as far as I hear, in that case as well what the gently caress, they were some of the best parts of all 3 games and always had the best parts of the soundtracks too. :psyduck:

who needs psychos when you got crazed survivors that are all essentially the same fight but with different silly costumes

also the story is bad

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The pacing of Final Fantasy XIV's main quest.

"Oh poo poo, Titan's been summoned! Quick, you need to track down the people who fought him last and learn how they did it!"
"Go put together an absurdly rare and complex meal, only then will I tell you about the back door into Titan's lair."

"gently caress, it's Garuda, we need an airship to even get anywhere near it! A brilliant one was lost in the nation to the north, we need to find it and use it before a city gets attacked!"
"Our entire country hates you. Go do meaningless chores until people like you enough to talk to you, but not enough to take your word over an absurdly evil man following you solely to slander you to anyone who will listen, thus undoing all the work you just did."

It's the delivery that hurts it more than anything, really. They paint a primal being summoned as something great and terrifying, that you have to deal with right the gently caress now (and indeed, the first primal you ever fight did just get summoned like five minutes before)... but then they put a ton of content between the news of a primal being summoned and the actual fight. It's not even bad content, but when it's preceded by those stakes I go in with a mindset of 'gonna knock through some quick context-giving quests before it gives me the boss, then I make that boss fight my big thing for the night'. And then I do like four quests on autopilot before realizing that it's actual content and story, not filler.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

The pacing of Final Fantasy XIV's main quest.

"Oh poo poo, Titan's been summoned! Quick, you need to track down the people who fought him last and learn how they did it!"
"Go put together an absurdly rare and complex meal, only then will I tell you about the back door into Titan's lair."

"gently caress, it's Garuda, we need an airship to even get anywhere near it! A brilliant one was lost in the nation to the north, we need to find it and use it before a city gets attacked!"
"Our entire country hates you. Go do meaningless chores until people like you enough to talk to you, but not enough to take your word over an absurdly evil man following you solely to slander you to anyone who will listen, thus undoing all the work you just did."

It's the delivery that hurts it more than anything, really. They paint a primal being summoned as something great and terrifying, that you have to deal with right the gently caress now (and indeed, the first primal you ever fight did just get summoned like five minutes before)... but then they put a ton of content between the news of a primal being summoned and the actual fight. It's not even bad content, but when it's preceded by those stakes I go in with a mindset of 'gonna knock through some quick context-giving quests before it gives me the boss, then I make that boss fight my big thing for the night'. And then I do like four quests on autopilot before realizing that it's actual content and story, not filler.

Just wait until you hit Shiva because that's where things get really, really weird.

Also it gets really, really bad because the quests just have you constantly walking back and forth across a giant snowy wasteland because gently caress you. I love when quests just make me run from one end of a zone to the other to talk to people for hours on end.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really wanted to get into XIV's expansion because of the guns and engineer class, but having to wade through literally the entire storyline just to unlock them - even if you're a level 50 already - is so ridiculous I just can't be bothered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

poptart_fairy posted:

I really wanted to get into XIV's expansion because of the guns and engineer class, but having to wade through literally the entire storyline just to unlock them - even if you're a level 50 already - is so ridiculous I just can't be bothered.

FFXIV would have been a million times better if they didn't over simplify the job system. You can only cross-class specific skills with specific classes. So, like monk can only use skills from two other classes and even then it's only like a handful of skills and you never really need to use them because the monk skill rotation is pretty much awesome as-is. It just feels wasted to let you cross-class but then restrict it so badly there's no reason to ever do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nuebot posted:

FFXIV would have been a million times better if they didn't over simplify the job system.

Probably not.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nuebot posted:

FFXIV would have been a million times better if they didn't over simplify the job system. You can only cross-class specific skills with specific classes. So, like monk can only use skills from two other classes and even then it's only like a handful of skills and you never really need to use them because the monk skill rotation is pretty much awesome as-is. It just feels wasted to let you cross-class but then restrict it so badly there's no reason to ever do it.

Let me guess - never played 1.0, right?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Walton Simons posted:

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. Archespores with their stupid teleporting, pods that Geralt always auto-targets instrad of the monster itself, their stupid loving hyper-accurate spitting attack they spam at every opportunity and their stupidly large HP pools. gently caress them.

Make sure you have the highest level of Golden Oriole that you can make and use it. Then laugh at the archespores as you casually stroll up to them while being healed every time the spit on you. When you're close enough, use Igni, then swords.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Nuebot posted:

There is not one class in the game that doesn't need its cross-class skills. Some skills provide essential abilities to classes that they wouldn't otherwise have.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Guardian would benefit from a hint system

Edit: Apparently I didn't stand in the right spot for it to do the popup teaching me how to tell him to jump.

Len has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Dec 9, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

spit on my clit posted:

who needs psychos when you got crazed survivors that are all essentially the same fight but with different silly costumes

also the story is bad

i heard there's no mixed drinks

hosed up if true

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

i heard there's no mixed drinks

hosed up if true

drat it, i wanted to look at all that juice

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yardbomb posted:

i always felt like i'd like psychopath fights more if they fought on Frank/Chuck's level. those guys have hyperarmor in some of their animations and recover stupid quick. one of them absolutely requires you to cheese the enemy pathfinding. i do like some of their gimmicks and how the arena usually leaves stuff lying around as a hint with how to deal with the psychos.

or maybe the combat would feel better if the player had a better dodge/block mechanic in the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

thecluckmeme posted:

Which shirt does moon get?

Luvdisc? None of the clothes should be version exclusive, anyway. You can unlock some to buy from seeing other people online wearing them, but some you can't, like the Houndoom shirt.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

10 Beers posted:

Make sure you have the highest level of Golden Oriole that you can make and use it. Then laugh at the archespores as you casually stroll up to them while being healed every time the spit on you. When you're close enough, use Igni, then swords.

Good tip, thanks. I got so used to combat being trivial in the base game once you hit a certain level that I forget about having access to potions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Holy gently caress the late game of Final Fantasy XV is so inexcusably bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kazil posted:

Holy gently caress the late game of Final Fantasy XV is so inexcusably bad.

Gameplay details?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The xbox360 Jeopardy has slme flaws. Which is too bad because it was made by the company who made wheel of fortune , which is excellent.

A lot of shortsightedness in the writing. For instance, to answer a question, you input a fer letters, then the game suggests a selection of answers that start with those letters. However, one category was "abbreviations," so all you had to do was type in the abbreviation and it would suggest the correct answer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Last Celebration posted:

Gameplay details?

I'm not quite finished with it but imagine all your weapons and abilities stripped from you, you lose your party members, and there is forced stealth. On top of that the story makes even less sense than typical final fantasy plots.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

kazil posted:

I'm not quite finished with it but imagine all your weapons and abilities stripped from you, you lose your party members, and there is forced stealth. On top of that the story makes even less sense than typical final fantasy plots.

holy poo poo a 1998 story beat.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
quote != edit

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

kazil posted:

they thought this was a good idea

in 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I fell out love with Kingdom Hearts and anything directed by Tetsuya Nomura long ago when every sequel and spinoff just kept repeating themselves. It was a cute idea at first, but then the original characters took even greater prominence while the Disney characters just seemed lost in the shuffle. How many loving times do you go to Halloween Town? Or Olympus Coliseum? How many times do they retcon the same bad guy showing up again and again? How many split personalities can a person have running around, who also have split personalities?

This convoluted nonsense made me appreciate franchises where each new installment features a new hero and new conflict. Yeah it sucks that your favorite character's story is over, but it's better than dragging any story past its natural endpoint, witness all the spinoff-crap from FFVII.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This convoluted nonsense made me appreciate franchises where each new installment features a new hero and new conflict. Yeah it sucks that your favorite character's story is over, but it's better than dragging any story past its natural endpoint, witness all the spinoff-crap from FFVII.

This is why I'm not getting the new God of War.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

This is why I'm not getting the new God of War.

See you say this but it's The Angriest Spartan: Viking Edition and I'm sold.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I fell out love with Kingdom Hearts and anything directed by Tetsuya Nomura long ago when every sequel and spinoff just kept repeating themselves. It was a cute idea at first, but then the original characters took even greater prominence while the Disney characters just seemed lost in the shuffle. How many loving times do you go to Halloween Town? Or Olympus Coliseum? How many times do they retcon the same bad guy showing up again and again? How many split personalities can a person have running around, who also have split personalities?

To be fair KH3 is reportedly going to wrap all the current plot threads up, so hopefully if they do another arc with a new villain it will be planned with the franchise in mind and be less of a clusterfuck. :P

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

I'm not wild about Norse myth anyway, especially with a lot of Greek still left (Apollo never even showed up) and especially especially that Norse myth's major deity is another Thunder God.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but you can swing through and slay Grendel as a mid-game boss or something.

e: Beowulf is technically Old English and not Norse but it takes place in Scandinavia so who cares :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

If you want angry Vikings play Viking: Battle for Asgard on the 360 - awesome game, building an army on each island slowly but surely, by freeing small groups, then medium sized camps, then using that might to roll into one of the two capitals of each island to free it and get a massive boost. Also dragons help too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I'm not wild about Norse myth anyway, especially with a lot of Greek still left (Apollo never even showed up) and especially especially that Norse myth's major deity is another Thunder God.
It very clearly should have been Aztec, but that will never happen.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

play Marlow Briggs

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think sometime in the intervening years Kratos went to mesoamerica but decided the gods there were a bit much for him, violence-wise.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
In FFXV on long enough car rides, Noctis will sit up on the trunk of the car like an rear end in a top hat. If you slam on the brakes, everyone else in the vehicle will jerk forward like you might expect. Noctis doesn't so much as twitch.

I wanted to see him fly off the car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

In FFXV on long enough car rides, Noctis will sit up on the trunk of the car like an rear end in a top hat. If you slam on the brakes, everyone else in the vehicle will jerk forward like you might expect. Noctis doesn't so much as twitch.

I wanted to see him fly off the car.

SE please fix tia

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

It doesn't really drag Witcher 3 down, because nothing can IMO, but I am really over boss type enemies who can regenerate their health.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Xenahort is somehow behind literally loving everything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Testekill posted:

Xenahort is somehow behind literally loving everything.

There is a True Organization XIII, composed entirely out of different versions of Xehanort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love Braigs line "You could say, I'm already HALF-Xehanort :smug:"