Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AndrewP posted:

Honestly, they make First Contact the first thing you do for a reason. No pressure, great graphics, lots of things to manipulate.

Unfortunately I'm still futzing with ReVive so I didn't want to troubleshoot while she was here :v:

The Lab went over great as usual though. I forgot how good the Longbow demo was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

It should be, it spawned roughly half of the indie vr games that are on steam right now. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Any guesses as to what the optimal 3-sensor configuration will be, in terms of altitude and angle for each? Or should I just wait for people to start getting their extra cameras? :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A triangle. The higher the better, but at least waist high.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Syves posted:

And, now that I've gotten to play it, Raw Data with the touch controllers is... less than optimal. Need that extra camera. And they need to add in an option to adjust the weapon angle, holy hell. Was palming the flat disc on the top of the touch controller in my firing hand to keep the gun level-ish.

Found a post saying to set the EXE for Raw Data to Windows 7 compatibility mode... and that made a HUGE difference with my weapon angle issues. Still need that extra camera tho.

Ordered a few wall mounts for the cameras. Gonna put them up higher so they can angle down and catch more play area.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I played the #1 ranked dude in the Unspoken and beat him \o/

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Lemming posted:

I played the #1 ranked dude in the Unspoken and beat him \o/

Is there a way to see ranking? I might've totally missed it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In the Unspoken tutorial, the wizard lady, at the ends, tells you to not forget to check your mail. Is that something in-game, or just like flavor text?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

After finishing the Arizona Sunshine campaign I am so ready for that VR version of Fallout 4 or any other single-player game with some meat on it. AS is okay but it really is just the same zombies through the whole game. Wish I used my non-pistol guns more because I had about 1000 SMG rounds, 100 shotgun shells and god knows how many grenades during that last stand.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Context posted:

Is there a way to see ranking? I might've totally missed it.

When you're standing at the table where you choose friends/ranked/practice, if you look to the right there's a board there. I'm not sure what triggers it, but if you look at it/move closer/point at it, the rankings appear. I think it shows top 10 and then your personal ranking underneath.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm starting to get hesitant about buying VR games on Steam with my Rift. Mainly because there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to bring up the SteamVR menu with it. While I'm in SteamVR, the menu button on Touch bring up the SteamVR menu. While I'm in a game, it might bring up the menu, but maybe not. It seems that with the games that were designed for Vive and haven't updated to work with the Rift, SteamVR is able to grab the menu button push and bring up its menu. For games that have been updated to work with Touch, the menu button does nothing.

Still waiting for the ability to add third party games to Oculus home which would solve all of this.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm starting to get hesitant about buying VR games on Steam with my Rift. Mainly because there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to bring up the SteamVR menu with it. While I'm in SteamVR, the menu button on Touch bring up the SteamVR menu. While I'm in a game, it might bring up the menu, but maybe not. It seems that with the games that were designed for Vive and haven't updated to work with the Rift, SteamVR is able to grab the menu button push and bring up its menu. For games that have been updated to work with Touch, the menu button does nothing.

Still waiting for the ability to add third party games to Oculus home which would solve all of this.

Now that Touch is out, I think after Oculus works on some bug fixes etc, they are probably going to be looking ahead to quality of life improvements for Home more closely now.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Did you enable the beta version of steam vr? Think they already pushed some fixes in there for some of that junk.

Some more time in Ripcoil and I'm diggin it. At first the movement was way too slippery and terrible but having much better control after pretending I'm green goblin and bending at the knees and leaning forward a bit like about to start a squat and just doing light leans to move left and right. All bout the legs not head. Haven't figured out a reliable way to hit the punches though. You can charge and hold a fist in front of your grabbing hand so if the fist block misses you can still grab, but it seems to mess with the grabbing part too.

The Racket NX demo on steam was more fun than I expected, kinda like 360 breakout with a tennis racket

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've got the SteamVR beta. No such luck.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Rec Room removed the win 10 requirement for the Oculus Home version

posted:

"Rec Room developer here. I just wanted to let you guys know that we removed the Windows 10 restriction.

The reason that restriction was there was simply because we hadn't yet tested Rec Room on anything less than Windows 10. Well we heard your feedback loud and clear, so we got off our lazy butts, verified that the games works fine on Windows 7, and then updated the Oculus store to remove that restriction. Sorry about the inconvenience, now go have some fun in VR! :)
"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lol the ranking system in the Unspoken is kind of messed up. I beat the stuffing out of some guy, 2-0, barely got hurt, and lost 3 points

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I had no idea you could slap the magazine out with the next mag on the AK47! Amazing attention to detail.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Republicans posted:

After finishing the Arizona Sunshine campaign I am so ready for that VR version of Fallout 4 or any other single-player game with some meat on it. AS is okay but it really is just the same zombies through the whole game. Wish I used my non-pistol guns more because I had about 1000 SMG rounds, 100 shotgun shells and god knows how many grenades during that last stand.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get through most of the game just on the pistol. The fact that H3VR has so many guns and attachments now makes me really want a loving Borderlands or Division ripoff with an endless level grind and hosed up gun stats

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get through most of the game just on the pistol. The fact that H3VR has so many guns and attachments now makes me really want a loving Borderlands or Division ripoff with an endless level grind and hosed up gun stats
Whoever makes something like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield but in VR with H3VR weapon mechanics can just shut up and take my loving money.

e: I was also thinking how nice it would be to have something that is a cross between Onward and Rec Rooms' paintball. Airsoft! Realistic looking weapons and kit, but more lighthearted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4VpcKDqwg

Or, just something like Onward, but with more players and with respawns.

Falken fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 11, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Falken posted:

Whoever makes something like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield but in VR with H3VR weapon mechanics can just shut up and take my loving money.

e: I was also thinking how nice it would be to have something that is a cross between Onward and Rec Rooms' paintball. Airsoft! Realistic looking weapons and kit, but more lighthearted.

Someday, we will have an Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint type VR game and it will be loving amazing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I just want MechWarrior with at least MWO level graphics. Or Pacific Rim or Titanfall or anything that's a cockpit robot shooter with graphics better than 2006.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Falken posted:

I imagine Onward is the one that gets built on unless something better comes along.

Smashbox Arena is okay but I don't see myself playing a lot of it. I like guns too much. Every VR game that doesn't have guns in it would be better if it did. I'm looking at you, Climbey.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 11, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I just want MechWarrior with at least MWO level graphics. Or Pacific Rim or Titanfall or anything that's a cockpit robot shooter with graphics better than 2006.

You mean like this? http://www.voxmachinae.com/

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So I just got done beating Super Hot, playing a bunch of The Unspoken, Rec Room and Dead and Buried. Everyone needs to play Super Hot that was loving awesome, pretty short, but goddamn, that was great. I definitely prefer the Unspoken over Dead and Buried, mainly because it seemed like D&B was dead. It took awhile to get a game going, and I only played for about 3 rounds or so, because waiting around with a headset strapped onto your face is awful. It is fun, but it doesn't seem to have the strategy that The Unspoken does. It probably would be a lot more fun with a team of friends. The Unspoken really is badass. I smoked the first handful of people I played, but then finally met some people that knew what they were doing and got destroyed pretty quick. There really does seem to be a lot of tactics and strategy to learn in this game. Lot's of fun. Same with Rec Room, but I mostly stuck to paintball, because my body and brain were both fried from playing Super Hot earlier and I was kinda tired so wasn't feeling particularly social.

The only tracking issues I had was when I was turned completely around with my back facing the sensors and my hands in front of my body, blocking the sensors which are about 9/10 feet above the ground and about 12 feet apart. I'm using a 10ft cable matters passive USB3 extension cord for both of them. Pretty much no issues, which is great, considering I just have them resting upside down on my basstraps which go up to my ceiling. I imagine the occlusion problem will be completely solved once my 3rd sensor gets here and properly mount my front two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After months of not doing anything. I loaded back into my old Unreal project with touch and I'm super excited to start over (surely there's better ways to implement VR by now) and do things with touch. Excited to use the hand gestures.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I'll be honest and say that still looks bad. We'll see how polished they can get it on release though. (Seriously, unless that's a low-grav planet, those mechs look like they're hovering around.)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Almost there...

I've been maining Anarchist but at this point I think Blackjack is just better. She can punish you when she knows where you're gonna be through her push, and the cards are pretty strong since they home in on where you are. Her shield is a bit weaker, and her push can be hard to aim, but it seems like the skill cap is the highest. Anarchist is fun but you can deal with the skulls by teleporting back and forth (especially on the bigger maps), and his rockets are decent, but feel super random (sometimes you get a ton of hits, sometimes you get none, and it doesn't feel like it's up to you). His shield is a bit stronger so he can block some of the cards and some of the smaller pushes, but it really just feels like an uphill battle.

I really like throwing fireballs though :(

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Ok, so I tried out the Unspoken in ReVive as promised and the results were pretty mixed. I have a 970 for my video card, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but basically it ran without crashing and you could play it, but it ran like complete garbage. Constant stuttering and the whole world would swim a bit when you moved your head. Not fun.

I dunno how it'd run if you had a really beefy computer so it could be a result of my graphics card just not being good enough without Oculus's voodoo magic. If you only have a 970 I would recommend against risking buying it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of VR mech games, I remember seeing something about one with mechs more like what you'd see in Heavy Gear. I think it was based off of an older cartoon or anime or something? It was a while ago and I don't remember which thread it was in; does anyone remember that? It might have been some thing at an arcade or game center rather than a thing you can buy just yet, too, I'm not sure.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Lemming posted:

Ok, so I tried out the Unspoken in ReVive as promised and the results were pretty mixed. I have a 970 for my video card, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but basically it ran without crashing and you could play it, but it ran like complete garbage. Constant stuttering and the whole world would swim a bit when you moved your head. Not fun.

I dunno how it'd run if you had a really beefy computer so it could be a result of my graphics card just not being good enough without Oculus's voodoo magic. If you only have a 970 I would recommend against risking buying it.

My 970 ran Unspoken just fine. :shrug:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Topic of VR mech games, I remember seeing something about one with mechs more like what you'd see in Heavy Gear. I think it was based off of an older cartoon or anime or something? It was a while ago and I don't remember which thread it was in; does anyone remember that? It might have been some thing at an arcade or game center rather than a thing you can buy just yet, too, I'm not sure.

Gundam VR Daiba Assault?

Edit: no, more likely Argyle Shift.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Try turning off steams ATW, there are some Oculus games where it makes performance much worse, if I'm remembering correctly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemming posted:

970 is within spec for Oculus games.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

He's using Revive though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poetic Justice posted:

He's using Revive though.

Does that have meaningful overhead? I haven't tried it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

Gundam VR Daiba Assault?

Edit: no, more likely Argyle Shift.

I don't think it was either of those. I wasn't even aware of those, actually. Huh, there's more VR mech stuff in the works than I thought.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Does that have meaningful overhead? I haven't tried it.

I mean it's not native, so sometimes there are bugs or issues, but not generally. Although any game that requires SteamVR to run almost always performs worse on the Rift, in my experience.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

I don't think it was either of those. I wasn't even aware of those, actually. Huh, there's more VR mech stuff in the works than I thought.

Armored Core?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Climb, Superhot VR and the free Bullet Train all work great via ReVive. Launch bundle is worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah it runs perfect on my Rift and terrible on my Vive. I didn't mess with the settings too much because I am extremely lazy.