Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Soul Glo posted:

Eh, it's not like the restock that came the following week was because they actually manufactured units that quickly, right?

Now, if they continue to be plum out of the things in the coming weeks/from now on forever, yeah, that'd be loving stupid. I'm already kinda looking at it sideways since Christmas is just two weeks away, but they still have time to show that they just had no idea it was gonna be that big a deal and stock the poo poo out of some shelves.

The Toys R Us near me got 48 of them last Sunday, but they all got sold to people who camped out overnight. Amazon's physical stores had them the other day, and they're promising more will be available to order soon. And the Nintendo store in NYC has been getting a limited number a few times a week.

Other than that, not really any sign of them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

Still waiting to hear an argument about how forced scarcity is good for anything that isn't specifically a status item(shoes, cars).

Manufacturers don't get charged for unsold stock.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Manufacturers don't get charged for unsold stock.

oh well yeah. that's what Nintendo is trying to avoid. having to pay for storing and paying for unsold stock.

I was speaking more towards the notion that Nintendo is maliciously holding items back.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

I don't gotta prove poo poo. It's the oldest trick in the book and a huge part of why Black Fridays get so violent.

This is why we have a President Trump!!!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Louisgod posted:

This is why we have a President Trump!!!

:sigh:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Nintendo Switch comes out during Trump presidency, coincidence? I think no

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Nintendo is laughing as it maliciously creates artificial scarcity. They paid these big factories to make their products and then they just...decided not to sell them! It's great, it's brilliant...it's evil! Oh, they'll sell them eventually. For twice what they cost to produce! Hahahaha! The cost of storing them, rather than selling to retailers, can't possibly eat into that faster than what they gain from their magically malicious artificial scarcity!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Decus posted:

Nintendo is laughing as it maliciously creates artificial scarcity. They paid these big factories to make their products and then they just...decided not to sell them! It's great, it's brilliant...it's evil! Oh, they'll sell them eventually. For twice what they cost to produce! Hahahaha! The cost of storing them, rather than selling to retailers, can't possibly eat into that faster than what they gain from their magically malicious artificial scarcity!

I get the feeling you don't understand the argument.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I get the feeling you don't understand the argument.

Maybe I don't, but as I understand artificial scarcity there'd only be benefit to Nintendo if it allowed them to sell the product at a higher price than they normally would. That has never applied to any of their stuff.

edit: v Yeah, that's the thing with that. You can't really prove that it was driving demand nor can you prove Nintendo was estimating its projected sales and then adjusting downward on purpose just to drive it. Proving both things would be kind of impossible and sounds very unreasonable versus, with the Wii, Nintendo having just come off of an unsuccessful console. And well what do you know the Switch is going to be the same.

Decus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 11, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's also intangibles like the "buzz" of a hard-to-find item, but at a certain point that marketing upside must be vastly outweighed by the tangible downside of moving less of the product.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Decus posted:

Maybe I don't, but as I understand artificial scarcity there'd only be benefit to Nintendo if it allowed them to sell the product at a higher price than they normally would. That has never applied to any of their stuff.

People are saying "artificial scarcity" to say that Nintendo simply didn't produce very many NES Classics. If it isn't popular, they don't lose any money. If it is popular, the scarcity drives up buzz about it and they can leisurely make some more until people stop buying them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's actual scarcity though not an artificial one.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nintendo, while a big company, isn't a mega corporation like Sony or Microsoft. They can't afford to overextend and take a bath on a huge retail venture and it would defeat the whole point anyway. They're not looking to break into an Action Figure or Emulator Rom Box market, they just want to make some cash. They'd rather risk making a little less than risk blowing a ton of cash and rendering the whole thing a failure.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

That's actual scarcity though not an artificial one.

It's artificial if they have the capacity to make more but don't.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I was always under the impression that Nintendo never considered the NES Classic to be a long-term thing (especially with the Switch on the horizon). Just a bone that they threw out there not knowing that a glorified ROM Box was something people wanted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully there is someone at Nintendo that is able to log in to the internet and check out all the various generations of people who have childhood memories of playing "the Nintendo." Especially with all the people who are making fantasy lists of what would be in a SNES classic of N64 classic. Even people trying to think up a list of what they could put into an NES Classic II.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

With the Nintendo Switch being a new gaming console coming out soon, and with Shadow Mewtwo being in Pokken Tournament, I wonder if that means well see a remake of pokemon colossem or pokemon xd:gale of darkness? or perhaps a sequel will come out some time?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I bought a NES Mini day 1 and I've still only played it for a grand total of about 20 minutes since then

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

It boggles my mind that people get mad at Nintendo about this. Of course they don't want other people making games featuring Nintendo trademarks. If I made a game and called it Halo The Master Chief Collection, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would tell me to knock it off.

Microsoft never shut down Red vs. Blue.

Decus posted:

There's a difference between "not wanting a dedicated fanbase" and "protecting what you own". Nobody has ever made a fan thing public out of the kindness of their heart--it wins ad revenue or brand recognition for other projects--and even if such a pure, miracle project existed it would still get shut down right away for using and potentially misusing an IP. Imagine if a kid had never played, say, a pokemon game before and the first thing they have suggested to them is one of the fan games. Yikes.

There's several games on Steam that take place in the Half-Life universe that are up for sale and Valve's cool with it, I mean poo poo the Half-Life remake is all fan-made and sold on Valve's own storefront. I'm sure there's more of this going around too.

It really just comes down to a developer being a tight-rear end or not.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

a.lo posted:

With the Nintendo Switch being a new gaming console coming out soon, and with Shadow Mewtwo being in Pokken Tournament, I wonder if that means well see a remake of pokemon colossem or pokemon xd:gale of darkness? or perhaps a sequel will come out some time?

pokemon colossem seem really pointless in 2017. it was good back when the main pokemon games where black and white sprites and you want to see a pokemon battle in 3d but the handhelds can show pokemon battles just as good as a console.. i rather have more pokken.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cyron posted:

pokemon colossem seem really pointless in 2017. it was good back when the main pokemon games where black and white sprites and you want to see a pokemon battle in 3d but the handhelds can show pokemon battles just as good as a console.. i rather have more pokken.

Yeah, I mean it might have meant something it we had gotten a Coliseum for Wii U that worked with the 3DS games, but now the Switch will make it truly pointless when Pokemon Stars (probably) comes out.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's several games on Steam that take place in the Half-Life universe that are up for sale and Valve's cool with it, I mean poo poo the Half-Life remake is all fan-made and sold on Valve's own storefront. I'm sure there's more of this going around too.

It really just comes down to a developer being a tight-rear end or not.

Yes, but those glorified mods have permission from Valve that was asked by the developers. That's an important detail. They wouldn't be on Steam storefront in the first place without it. As for fan projects, they could have just made Wacky Wally's Bug Hunt and called it a homage to Pokémon. Nobody would've complained. But they had to be the heroes of something.

Also, I don't think Nintendo would have minded of a Metroid Blue vs Red. They'd just monetise the video in YouTube. :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Guy Goodbody posted:

It boggles my mind that people get mad at Nintendo about this. Of course they don't want other people making games featuring Nintendo trademarks. If I made a game and called it Halo The Master Chief Collection, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would tell me to knock it off.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/beacle/halo-2d

There are of course a million free flash fangames that Nintendo never shut down, but they've definitely been on a tear lately with No Mario's Sky, AM2R, and Pokemon Uranium.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/beacle/halo-2d

There are of course a million free flash fangames that Nintendo never shut down, but they've definitely been on a tear lately with No Mario's Sky, AM2R, and Pokemon Uranium.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416

The difference is one is owned by a studio, and the other is the assets and likeness of a world-recognised set of characters. Most small studios love fan-made stuff because it only boosts interest in their titles. Nintendo-sized companies tend to crush it hard because their stuff is known in the same general sense as characters like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny and anything negative might be perceived as something they themselves created.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is one is owned by a studio, and the other is the assets and likeness of a world-recognised set of characters. Most small studios love fan-made stuff because it only boosts interest in their titles. Nintendo-sized companies tend to crush it hard because their stuff is known in the same general sense as characters like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny and anything negative might be perceived as something they themselves created.
What are you talking about? Microsoft owns Halo, John Halo, Mister Chef, Cortana et. all just as Nintendo owns Mario and Zelda and Metroid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardboard Box A posted:

What are you talking about? Microsoft owns Halo, John Halo, Mister Chef, Cortana et. all just as Nintendo owns Mario and Zelda and Metroid.

I thought 343 had the rights?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

343 is just a studio microsoft made to make halo games after bungie sold the rights to them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

343 is just a studio microsoft made to make halo games after bungie sold the rights to them

Ahhhh. gotcha.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
To ask yourself whether Nintendo created artificial scarcity, which do you believe?

A) Reggie is going around the office high fiving people over the success at how many people want an NES classic but couldn't get one

B) Reggie regrets the millions of lost sales and profits, and having to explain the under-order to NCL.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

greatn posted:

To ask yourself whether Nintendo created artificial scarcity, which do you believe?

A) Reggie is going around the office high fiving people over the success at how many people want an NES classic but couldn't get one

B) Reggie regrets the millions of lost sales and profits, and having to explain the under-order to NCL.

A

He is also laughing like a power crazed maniac while ordering the shutdown of every deviant art page that has Mario art on it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does anyone here have a list of confirmed Switch games? Not necessarily launch titles, tho that'd be nice too, just games we definitely know are coming to the Switch.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Does anyone here have a list of confirmed Switch games? Not necessarily launch titles, tho that'd be nice too, just games we definitely know are coming to the Switch.

Pretty sure nothing is officially Nintendo confirmed until the next reveal event in January.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
There's some pretty broad misconceptions about product inventories out there. Companies like Nintendo only fulfill orders made by retailers and distributors so it's really the companies like Amazon and Wal Mart who are underestimating demand that create the shortages. Compounding on top of that is how most manufacturers switched to a 1 day inventory model back in the 90's which saves a ton of money but makes it hard to compensate for shortages.

It really all goes back to how Steve Jobs revolutionized supply chain management when he rejoined Apple.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RVWinkle posted:

Nintendo Switch: It really all goes back to how Steve Jobs revolutionized supply chain management when he rejoined Apple.

:crossarms:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

the reason why those mobile piracy rates posted earlier were so high was because most piracy comes from poorer countries where games are a luxury and might cost a significant portion of their income but its ok to keep pretending those places dont exist if u want

nah I'm pretty sure most piracy is done by cheap nerds.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just started playing ff15 and it's extremely fun. I hope it comes to the Switch, because there should be more access to fun in this world.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

nah I'm pretty sure most piracy is done by cheap nerds.

ya def isnt in the places where they literally cant afford the apps ur right.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The majority of the cracking and distribution into the "piracy scene" is done by people in countries like Russia and Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

Yes, but those glorified mods have permission from Valve that was asked by the developers. That's an important detail. They wouldn't be on Steam storefront in the first place without it. As for fan projects, they could have just made Wacky Wally's Bug Hunt and called it a homage to Pokémon. Nobody would've complained. But they had to be the heroes of something.

Pretty sure they only got permission once they were ready to put their mods on Steam, the difference is that Valve didn't care to shut them down while they were being developed because they used their IPs. They could of said no once they wanted to get on Steam though, but they didn't.

• Locked thread